Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Getting Back Into It
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:37 pm 
Stegosaurus

Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon will always have a special place in my kitchen as those were some of the first vegan cookbooks I ever bought - and I still use them regularly.

My most recent cookbook purchase is Get it Ripe by Jae Steele...her recipes tend to be a little higher fat than I like but they're fairly easy to adapt. I like that a lot of them are gluten-free and focus on whole foods.

Thanks for the book recommendations! I'm going to have to make a trip to the library to check out those titles.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:21 am 
Elephant

How do you like that indoor grill? Is it worth the investment, do you think?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:38 am 
Stegosaurus

I've used it a couple of times and it's alright. I imagine I'll appreciate it more in the winter. We've been using the bbq quite a bit so it doesn't seem as cool. My one complaint (not that I'm ungrateful, I think it was a great gift) is that it is the smaller version, not the full size. So it wouldn't be great for grilling veggies. But to answer your question, I don't know if I would go out and buy my own...probably not. If I really felt like grilling indoors I would probably invest in a cast iron grill pan for the stove top. But that's just me.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:40 am 
Stegosaurus

lobsteriffic wrote:
I've used it a couple of times and it's alright. I imagine I'll appreciate it more in the winter. We've been using the bbq quite a bit so it doesn't seem as cool. My one complaint (not that I'm ungrateful, I think it was a great gift) is that it is the smaller version, not the full size. So it wouldn't be great for grilling veggies. But to answer your question, I don't know if I would go out and buy my own...probably not. If I really felt like grilling indoors I would probably invest in a cast iron grill pan for the stove top. But that's just me.

I agree I got one at my shower too and don't use it enough that I would have actually purchase one myself. I would also go with the cast iron grill pan. Takes up less space in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:44 am 
Stegosaurus

lobsteriffic wrote:
Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon will always have a special place in my kitchen as those were some of the first vegan cookbooks I ever bought - and I still use them regularly.

My most recent cookbook purchase is Get it Ripe by Jae Steele...her recipes tend to be a little higher fat than I like but they're fairly easy to adapt. I like that a lot of them are gluten-free and focus on whole foods.

Thanks for the book recommendations! I'm going to have to make a trip to the library to check out those titles.

Your welcome. Let me know what you think. The professional vegetarian cooking was expensive for a cookbook. I was lucky enough to attend Summerfest where Chef Bergeron oversees the food preparation. The food is always very good so I bought the cookbook there to get the recipes for some of delish dishes I dined on. I have to make at least one of two of the thrive diest pizzas a week as my husband really loves them. They are very different for "pizza" but very healthy and good tasting.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:07 pm 
Stegosaurus

Awesome, I have that book reserved so hopefully it comes back soon!

Is your husband vegan? My fiance is omni so if/when he decides he wants animal products he prepares them himself. Otherwise he eats what I make. Usually he doesn't complain too much but he's not the biggest vegetable lover. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:39 pm 
Stegosaurus

Monday, May 4th:

Weights: Horizontal Push/Pull

Rack Pulls:
45 lbs x 5
65 lbs x 5
65 lbs x 5
75 lbs x 5
85 lbs x 5

Barbell Rows:
35 lbs x 8
40 lbs x 8
40 lbs x 8

Bench Press:
45 lbs x 5
55 lbs x 5
60 lbs x 5
60 lbs x 5
65 lbs x 5 (form sucked on last couple)

DB Flyes:
15 lbs x 8
15 lbs x 8
15 lbs x 8

Weighted Swiss Ball Crunches:
25 lbs x 12
25 lbs x 12
25 lbs x 12

Cardio: HIIT on stationary bike - 8 intervals (30 sec. long, followed by 60 sec. rest)

I was supposed to go to a 60 min. yoga class in the evening but I ended up with such a bad headache that I didn't go.

Diet:
Pre-workout: banana
Post-workout: chocolate soy milk, protein powder, slice of sprouted grain bread (was STARVING)
Snack: pear
Lunch: salad with chickpeas and mixed sprouts
Snack: apple, grapes
Supper: roasted asparagus, veggie chili from freezer
Snack: pear

Cals 1837
Fat (g) 39.8
Carbs (g) 305.6
Prot (g) 92.0

Calories a bit higher than I would like (trying to stick to ~1700)..I was so famished all day. Oh well. Nothing too terrible.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:40 pm 
Stegosaurus

lobsteriffic wrote:
Awesome, I have that book reserved so hopefully it comes back soon!

Is your husband vegan? My fiance is omni so if/when he decides he wants animal products he prepares them himself. Otherwise he eats what I make. Usually he doesn't complain too much but he's not the biggest vegetable lover. :roll:

Kool Let me know what you think of it. Did you reserve the fresh from the vegetarian slow cooker one? that is such a time saver when your busy. Also I was impressed with the vast array of recipes in it. It goes beyond the usual soup and chili recipes to include things like pasta dishes etc. I like that even when I am really busy I can still put a healthy meal on the table and not resort to eating poorly.

My husband is vegan now. He was not when we got married. He has been for several years at this point. The good news is that he said it was because he was eating the vegan food that I was making and really enjoying it. he didn't feel like he was giving up anything and felt healthier when he committed to it. He used to eat fish when we dined out and now he doesn't even like to dine out unless the restaurant is completely vegan. So who knows maybe your fiancee will come around too. I don't serve anything in my house that isn't vegan and it is so great that people still like to come here to eat. of course not everyone but many are open to it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:05 pm 
Stegosaurus

I know what you mean, I love surprising people with how delicious vegan food is! When I was home for Christmas I even had my Dad eating some vegan food which he actually said he liked, and he's about the biggest fan of meat and potatoes that I've ever encountered.

My local library only had the Thrive diet book...I'm going to see about getting the other ones through Interlibrary Loans. They're usually pretty good with that.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, quite the workout today! Nice!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:50 pm 
Stegosaurus

Thanks! It was my first time doing rack pulls and I really liked it once I got the form down.

Tuesday, May 5th:

Weights: Quad Dominant/Ham Accessory & Biceps

Squat:
45 lbs x 8
65 lbs x 5
75 lbs x 5
75 lbs x 5
75 lbs x 5
80 lbs x 5

Leg Press:
140 lbs x 8
140 lbs x 8
140 lbs x 8

High Foot Placement Leg Press:
90 lbs x 12
90 lbs x 12
90 lbs x 12

Alternating Hammer Curls:
10 lbs x 8
12 lbs x 8
15 lbs x 8

When I was walking back to my car afterward my legs wouldn't work quite right and I'm pretty sure I looked like I was drunk. :D

Cardio: none

Diet:
Pre-workout: banana
Post-workout: chocolate soy milk with protein powder, couscous with cinnamon and maple syrup
Lunch: sauteed kale with grilled tofu; pear for dessert
Snack: apple, 1 tbsp. peanut butter
Supper: more grilled tofu with roasted eggplant, zucchini, half of a baked sweet potato, and salad
Snack: peanut butter and protein powder

Cals 1673
Fat (g) 39.6
Carbs (g) 253.9
Prot (g) 99.7

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:56 am 
Stegosaurus

Hope that inter library loan works out for you. Peanut Butter and protein powder. I am going to have to try this...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:10 am 
Stegosaurus

It was an experiment that didn't turn out that good. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. I took a tbsp. of peanut butter and mixed it with a tbsp chocolate protein powder and a wee bit of water (for consistency). I had a 1:1 ratio, but I think that would need change to 2:1 (pb:protein powder). For my personal, pb-loving tastes anyway. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:21 am 
Elephant

lobsteriffic wrote:
When I was walking back to my car afterward my legs wouldn't work quite right and I'm pretty sure I looked like I was drunk. :D

Nice! I love that feeling. Keep up the great work lobster.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:17 pm 
Elephant

Ah yes, Leg Day! I make sure I do not take the stick shift car on those days! Cause I sometimes have a problem of pushing in the clutch to shift gears.
Or my famous one, "Where did that bump come from? I know I must have tripped over a bump in the carpet", when I actually just couldn't coordinate my stride for a split second. You also know you worked the glutes really well when you have a hard time the next day sitting down and getting up (loud moaning and groaning coming from the bathroom :mrgreen: ).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 81  Next