Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone!

The bridal shower was really good...I can't believe all of the stuff people brought! Everyone knows I'm into cooking and baking so I received a griddle, an electric frying pan, a slow cooker, an indoor grill, tons of bakeware and utensils...it was just astounding. I was really very touched by it all. The best part is it was all vegan snacks (veggies & hummus, fruit, vegan chocolate chip cookies and vegan brownies). One little old lady came up to me and said "unusual food...but I really like it!"

Sunday, May 3rd:

Rest day! Did some house work and that's about it. Might go for a walk later, I'm not sure.

Diet:

Breakfast: tvp chunks sauteed with veggies and bbq sauce

Snack: apple

Lunch: salad with black beans, orange for dessert

Snack: banana, 1 tbsp. peanut butter

Supper: grilled tempeh with small potato with a bit of Tofutti sour supreme and green onions, salad with lemon juice, asparagus

Snack: grapes, orange

Cals 1673

Fat (g) 36.7

Carbs (g) 282.1

Prot (g) 75.2

I'm a foodie too. I really love that non-vegans love coming over to my place to eat vegan food. Always makes me smile. Your shower sounded great. I really like robin robertson fresh from the vegatarian slow cooker cookbook. I use that a lot when I am busy with work etc and want to eat as soon as I get home. There are some really nice recipes in there. Little vegan slow cooker is another vegan cookbook but I don't like that one nearly as much as a lot of it isn't the healthiest of vegan food. I checked out your food blog that looks fantastic! I am also a big fan of the moscowitz.romero cookbooks as they are actually cooking instead of processed vegan foods. I've been using chef ken bergeons professional vegetarian cooking alot recently. Oh and the thrive diet by brendan brazier.

Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon will always have a special place in my kitchen as those were some of the first vegan cookbooks I ever bought - and I still use them regularly.

My most recent cookbook purchase is Get it Ripe by Jae Steele...her recipes tend to be a little higher fat than I like but they're fairly easy to adapt. I like that a lot of them are gluten-free and focus on whole foods.

Thanks for the book recommendations! I'm going to have to make a trip to the library to check out those titles.

I've used it a couple of times and it's alright. I imagine I'll appreciate it more in the winter. We've been using the bbq quite a bit so it doesn't seem as cool. My one complaint (not that I'm ungrateful, I think it was a great gift) is that it is the smaller version, not the full size. So it wouldn't be great for grilling veggies. But to answer your question, I don't know if I would go out and buy my own...probably not. If I really felt like grilling indoors I would probably invest in a cast iron grill pan for the stove top. But that's just me.

I've used it a couple of times and it's alright. I imagine I'll appreciate it more in the winter. We've been using the bbq quite a bit so it doesn't seem as cool. My one complaint (not that I'm ungrateful, I think it was a great gift) is that it is the smaller version, not the full size. So it wouldn't be great for grilling veggies. But to answer your question, I don't know if I would go out and buy my own...probably not. If I really felt like grilling indoors I would probably invest in a cast iron grill pan for the stove top. But that's just me.

I agree I got one at my shower too and don't use it enough that I would have actually purchase one myself. I would also go with the cast iron grill pan. Takes up less space in the kitchen.

Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon will always have a special place in my kitchen as those were some of the first vegan cookbooks I ever bought - and I still use them regularly.

My most recent cookbook purchase is Get it Ripe by Jae Steele...her recipes tend to be a little higher fat than I like but they're fairly easy to adapt. I like that a lot of them are gluten-free and focus on whole foods.

Thanks for the book recommendations! I'm going to have to make a trip to the library to check out those titles.

Your welcome. Let me know what you think. The professional vegetarian cooking was expensive for a cookbook. I was lucky enough to attend Summerfest where Chef Bergeron oversees the food preparation. The food is always very good so I bought the cookbook there to get the recipes for some of delish dishes I dined on. I have to make at least one of two of the thrive diest pizzas a week as my husband really loves them. They are very different for "pizza" but very healthy and good tasting.

Awesome, I have that book reserved so hopefully it comes back soon!

Is your husband vegan? My fiance is omni so if/when he decides he wants animal products he prepares them himself. Otherwise he eats what I make. Usually he doesn't complain too much but he's not the biggest vegetable lover.

Monday, May 4th:

Weights: Horizontal Push/Pull

Rack Pulls:

45 lbs x 5

65 lbs x 5

65 lbs x 5

75 lbs x 5

85 lbs x 5

Barbell Rows:

35 lbs x 8

40 lbs x 8

40 lbs x 8

Bench Press:

45 lbs x 5

55 lbs x 5

60 lbs x 5

60 lbs x 5

65 lbs x 5 (form sucked on last couple)

DB Flyes:

15 lbs x 8

15 lbs x 8

15 lbs x 8

Weighted Swiss Ball Crunches:

25 lbs x 12

25 lbs x 12

25 lbs x 12

Cardio: HIIT on stationary bike - 8 intervals (30 sec. long, followed by 60 sec. rest)

I was supposed to go to a 60 min. yoga class in the evening but I ended up with such a bad headache that I didn't go.

Diet:

Pre-workout: banana

Post-workout: chocolate soy milk, protein powder, slice of sprouted grain bread (was STARVING)

Snack: pear

Lunch: salad with chickpeas and mixed sprouts

Snack: apple, grapes

Supper: roasted asparagus, veggie chili from freezer

Cals 1837

Fat (g) 39.8

Carbs (g) 305.6

Prot (g) 92.0

Calories a bit higher than I would like (trying to stick to ~1700)..I was so famished all day. Oh well. Nothing too terrible.

Awesome, I have that book reserved so hopefully it comes back soon!

Is your husband vegan? My fiance is omni so if/when he decides he wants animal products he prepares them himself. Otherwise he eats what I make. Usually he doesn't complain too much but he's not the biggest vegetable lover.

Kool Let me know what you think of it. Did you reserve the fresh from the vegetarian slow cooker one? that is such a time saver when your busy. Also I was impressed with the vast array of recipes in it. It goes beyond the usual soup and chili recipes to include things like pasta dishes etc. I like that even when I am really busy I can still put a healthy meal on the table and not resort to eating poorly.

My husband is vegan now. He was not when we got married. He has been for several years at this point. The good news is that he said it was because he was eating the vegan food that I was making and really enjoying it. he didn't feel like he was giving up anything and felt healthier when he committed to it. He used to eat fish when we dined out and now he doesn't even like to dine out unless the restaurant is completely vegan. So who knows maybe your fiancee will come around too. I don't serve anything in my house that isn't vegan and it is so great that people still like to come here to eat. of course not everyone but many are open to it.

I know what you mean, I love surprising people with how delicious vegan food is! When I was home for Christmas I even had my Dad eating some vegan food which he actually said he liked, and he's about the biggest fan of meat and potatoes that I've ever encountered.

My local library only had the Thrive diet book...I'm going to see about getting the other ones through Interlibrary Loans. They're usually pretty good with that.

Thanks! It was my first time doing rack pulls and I really liked it once I got the form down.

Tuesday, May 5th:

Weights: Quad Dominant/Ham Accessory & Biceps

Squat:

45 lbs x 8

65 lbs x 5

75 lbs x 5

75 lbs x 5

75 lbs x 5

80 lbs x 5

Leg Press:

140 lbs x 8

140 lbs x 8

140 lbs x 8

High Foot Placement Leg Press:

90 lbs x 12

90 lbs x 12

90 lbs x 12

Alternating Hammer Curls:

10 lbs x 8

12 lbs x 8

15 lbs x 8

When I was walking back to my car afterward my legs wouldn't work quite right and I'm pretty sure I looked like I was drunk.

Cardio: none

Diet:

Pre-workout: banana

Post-workout: chocolate soy milk with protein powder, couscous with cinnamon and maple syrup

Lunch: sauteed kale with grilled tofu; pear for dessert

Snack: apple, 1 tbsp. peanut butter

Supper: more grilled tofu with roasted eggplant, zucchini, half of a baked sweet potato, and salad

Snack: peanut butter and protein powder

Cals 1673

Fat (g) 39.6

Carbs (g) 253.9

Prot (g) 99.7

It was an experiment that didn't turn out that good. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. I took a tbsp. of peanut butter and mixed it with a tbsp chocolate protein powder and a wee bit of water (for consistency). I had a 1:1 ratio, but I think that would need change to 2:1 (pb:protein powder). For my personal, pb-loving tastes anyway.

Ah yes, Leg Day! I make sure I do not take the stick shift car on those days! Cause I sometimes have a problem of pushing in the clutch to shift gears.

Or my famous one, "Where did that bump come from? I know I must have tripped over a bump in the carpet", when I actually just couldn't coordinate my stride for a split second. You also know you worked the glutes really well when you have a hard time the next day sitting down and getting up (loud moaning and groaning coming from the bathroom ).

That's me today, I'm pretty sore and wobby. Which means it's going to be worse tomorrow...eep!

Wednesday, May 6th:

Weights: None

Cardio: Ran 5k this morning but my run sucked. I had to stop to walk twice and I just felt weak and nauseous the entire time. But I guess this is the first time I've ran in ~2 weeks...

90 min. bellydance class tonight

Diet:

Breakfast: half a baked sweet potato, tofu scramble with veggies and salsa served over greens

Snack: apple

Lunch: TVP chunks with veggies and bbq sauce, pear for dessert

Supper: chickpea cutlets, roasted brussel sprouts, roasted cauliflower

Snack: peanut butter and protein powder

Cals 1581

Fat (g) 27.1

Carbs (g) 245.0

Prot (g) 112.1

That ratio does sound a little better. Let me know how that works out. I love peanut butter but I don't really just eat it although if I mixed with protein powder I think i would let myself. I am was laughing so hard at the comments about post leg workout as I literally just did one and walked away looking like an idiot. I tripped a couple of times and yes I have a strong suspicion I will be feeling it everytime I need to get up or sit down tomorrow. I love those Chickpea cutlets they are so tasty for how quick and easy they are. I try to avoid gluten though so I only usually make them for a holiday or some treat meal. But they are great! I love roasted cauliflower too!

Glad it worked out! I'm eating mine right now with that ratio with a bit of brown rice syrup - yum! I adore peanut butter and usually let myself have a tbsp a day or so. If I don't then I end up binging on it pretty hard core.

Are you sensitive to gluten? I know I probably shouldn't eat very much of it, but I love seitan that I can't help myself from having it every 2 weeks or so.

Hope your legs aren't too bad tomorrow! I think I might have a bath tonight to try and loosen mine up, they feel sooo tight right now.

I'll have to try it with the brown rice syrup. I usually do agave just cuz it is thinner. Brown rice syrup I find so sticky and sometime challenging to work with. Although obviously I would just be stirring in this case. I saw in your hobbies post that you scrapbook. I do too. It is hard to find the time but when I do I really enjoy it. If you can save programs, invitation etc. from your wedding. I made a great scrapbook out of that and i am so happy everytime I look at it. I did that same for our honeymoon too. My legs are ok today not great but better than I expected them to be. I don't actually get sick from eating gluten as I will occasionally have seiten but I definitely feel better when I don't eat it. It makes me tired mostly. I also try to eat things that are a healthier than that usually. But it is a tasty treat.