Cubby's fitness blog

Hey Jacob,

How are things going?

I was wondering if you still have those files I could grab from you sometime? I've been competing like crazy and continuing in July

Hope you have an awesome finish to the school year.

All the best!

Robert

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I have them on a couple disks. Sorry, I forgot about them. I just finished with school, so I will have plenty of time to send them this week.

I started going to the gym now that it is less busy with the school year being basically over. All I have to say is: Holy shit was I missing on some good exercise. My bodyweight stuff was much less adequate than I thought. I didn't get very sore at all when I started the bodyweight (plus weight) program, but when I switched back to weights, damn. I guess I am going to make sure to stay with them from now on.

Other updates: I am moving to Massachusetts in about a month and a half. I will be going to personal training school there and working on my ACSM certification. I am so excited. I expect to throw on a lot of muscle in this next year. While at the school, I will be basically personally trained four days a week for six months. It is going to be amazing.

No worries at all, just wanted to check in.

Wow, cool, moving out east! I come to Boston a couple of times a year so we'll have to meet up! You can train me and we can hammer out some workouts!

All the best man! Enjoy the break from school. Say hi to your roommates for me.

• 1 month later...

Driving to Boston Friday, arriving Saturday. I have taken a week off from training, because I am incredibly busy and also work on the ditch of my arm for my sleeve three days in a row. I couldn't sleep the third night and can't bend my arm very much. I will be back into it this Monday and will start my personal training schooling a week later.

I plan on joining the Boston Vegan Association to meet some cool people and hopefully get a network of vegan clientele lined up, so I can train and design meal plans for vegans at least some of the time.

I am so pumped!

Have an awesome drive!

I have friends in Boston and travel there every year. You gotta attend the Boston Vegetarian Festival....it rocks! Usually not until around Nov. 1st or late Oct. but put it on your calendar!

Have a great time!

Hope you're having a great drive. LOVED finally meeting you earlier this year....after all the years of being in touch.

So cool that you'll be in Mass since I travel there often and my best friend from childhood lives in Boston which makes that my favorite time of year, those times I visit.

All the best!

Safe and happy travels!

• 1 month later...

I started my first dose of high volume training about two weeks ago. I've never done a really proper hypertrophy program, but the instructors in my PT cert program helped me design a program: lots of volume, low rest periods. every month or so, I will switch to a strength program to "fill" my muscles with strength and give them a different stimulus.

I am eating some heavier calorie loads, something I always back away from when I try to bulk, greatly hurting my efforts. I need to get over the fear of gaining back too much fat, which my instructors are a great help with.

I think I am finally going to realize some of my potential.

I am eating some heavier calorie loads, something I always back away from when I try to bulk, greatly hurting my efforts. I need to get over the fear of gaining back too much fat, which my instructors are a great help with.

I also share this exact same fear. If you ever get a free chance I'd welcome some banter re:this.

Edited by LocalBrada

• 1 month later...

I am closing in on my old RDL and squat PRs. It shouldn't be too much longer until I surpass them. I'd give it about six months. My regular deadlifts are coming along nicely now that I had a trainer show me the form. I might nail 500lbs on deadlifts in a year or year and six months. My upper body lifts are finally inching along as well. Going to school to be a personal trainer is definitely helping.

I never put my sets and reps on here. I will try to get more regular about this, at least for my strength lifts. Today was RDLs and bent over barbell rows with long rest periods, with some stuff added in to fill gaps, like closegrip bench, done with short rest periods.

RDLs: 5x3@405, 1x2@405

Bent over rows: 4x3@135, 2x4@135

The reps on the rows were weird because I often end up leaving one in the tank for bent over rows, because it is so easy to let my form go to crap. I need to work on that.

Thanks, Joel.

On Friday I did some seated barbell military: 5x5@105

This lift is finally moving up, which along with bench, is my most troublesome lift. I filled in some calf presses, with some upright and high rows.

Yesterday was deadlifts and chins.

Deads: 6x3@345

Chins: 6x1@body weight + 50lbs on a belt

I did some body weight chins after to fill in a little more volume, then threw in some ab work.

Yesterday

Front Squats: I finally decided to learn them, so I just messed around with some light weights while someone instructed me, then I did one decently heavy set.

Seated Military: 5x5@120lbs - This was a huge deal for me, since it was the biggest jump I've ever had in my military press, my worst lift.

Filler

Today

Deadlifts: 5x5@315

Chins: 4x3@BW+25, 2x2@BW+25

Filler

RDL: 4x3@425, 2x2@425 - This is back to the heaviest weight I've ever pulled. Unfortunately, I plan on going 5x5 next week on RDL before taking a week off, then doing a month or so of hypertrophy. I think I may go ahead and forget the 5x5 and do this weight again, just because I want to.

BB bent over rows: 6x3@145

Filler: BB upright rows compounded with high bent over DB rows, floor crunches with weight

Front Squat: 5x5@185 - I am getting the form down. I think once I develop a bigger groove in my shoulders (which is happening rapidly since my posture is improving and I am able to really use my shoulders to push on military press) I will be able to hold onto the bar much easier.

Seated BB Military: 6x3@125 - Very excited about this. I hope to press my weight at some point.

Filler: Calf press on a press sled, close grip barbell bench.

Tomorrow: deadlifts for 6x3 and chins at my 1RM. I may 1RM deadlifts for fun.

Yesterday

Deadlifts: 6x3@345

Chins: 6x1@BW+55

Filler: Floor crunches with dumbbell and DB cleans (the cleans aren't really filler, but they aren't a main movement for me, either).

I did some repetition training today on a stationary bike. I have also been doing some one-arm push-ups from my knees and one-arm one-leg planks, hoping to work up to full one-arm push-ups.