Re-gaining control. It's on like Donkey Kong

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

started PT today, i'll keep you all posted. in the mean time I am sticking to an hour of cardio 6 days a week, see if I can loose a bit of body fat. I was at 30min when I was doing weights as well. I think I needed to increase my cardio to see more results (besides alter my diet)

I am not feeling that "awesome I just worked out feeling" anymore. any suggestions on how I can get that back. maybe my cardio is not intense enough?

There is, I can't remember the name.

It involves doing intervals like a swim coach will have you do. You speed up, go hard then go slow and repeat in a sysematic way. PM me to look it up for you so I don't forget. Warning, the joints you do it on have to be strong.

Where are you going for PT?

There is, I can't remember the name.

It involves doing intervals like a swim coach will have you do. You speed up, go hard then go slow and repeat in a sysematic way. PM me to look it up for you so I don't forget. Warning, the joints you do it on have to be strong.

Where are you going for PT?

like walking 2 min. and running 2? I try to vary my work-out by running and than walking fast at a high incline. Tonight i'll try the interval thing. I think I have a hard time on the treadmill because I have long legs and feel like I can't run right so my shins/top of feet start to hurt.

for PT I'm going to fitness forum in Annapolis, they're AWESOME! they helped me with both my back and ankle.

I met with a Personal Trainer last night because I really wanted to find out where I am. He measured my bf%. last June when I did it myself I was at approx 26% (if I did it right) last night when he did it I was at 21.4%. not too bad... but not where I want to be. I talked with him about getting some help to reach my goals and he seemed fine working with my being vegan as long as I "eat protein". He said he has worked with vegans in the past but that they wouldn't eat the amounts of protein he said they should to reach the goals they wanted.

I'll have to see what his nutrition ideas look like so I can get some help with the substitutions.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to the gym in way too long! on top of massive amounts of homework and a bad cold. My physical therapist thinks my shoulder issue might actually be a rotator issue. I think I might need to hold off on the personal training.

I'm trying not to get frustrated with myself, but I can see a loss in my previous gains (obviously )

this semester is screwing me! my hours are so messed up i'm finding it really hard to get my PT appt's in on top of homework and still have time for the gym.

At least i'm dancing 5 days a week, better than nothing. Once I figure out the arm issue it's truly on like donkey kong

• 3 weeks later...

Blah Blah Blah!! I have been doing cardio a lot. Dance 5 days a week plus cardio at the gym (on most days). still in Physical Therapy with not much change in the swelling and pain in my shoulder. My therapist and I think I should see a different doctor, so tomorrow I have an appointment with another doctor. Hope I can figure out what is wrong, I am seriously getting frustrated not being able to life weights, I feel like I'm doing nothing more but maintaining(somewhat) what I gained.

another note, learning Spanish is freaking hard!!!

Went to the new doctor today, he wants me to have an MRI to see if I have a herniated disc in my neck...awesome.... he also told me he's certain I have rotator cuff tendinitis. Blah, at least this explains all the pain I have been in for the past 6 months!

Well you will know what you have. That is half the battle because they you can go and research what works. Tendonitis blows for sure, but if you have something where surgery is not an issue you are ahead of the game. It can take years to come back from a shoulder operation.

Had to MRI yesterday, just waiting for the doctor to review it and I can get the healing process going. in the meantime both my doctor and physical therapist said I can get back to weights as long as I do what we've discussed and not do any type of shoulder press (not lifting above my head). I will post my actual work-out, it's basically M-W-F legs and abs and Tue-thur-sat. arms and abs. Cardio everyday.

there's hope!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the MRI results...no herniated discs thankfully!! I do have some reversal of some nonsense in my spine (I don't understand medical jargon) and minimal bulging of a disc (which I also have in my mid-to-lower back) Basically, It just comes down to Physical Therapy and coping with the pain I have from this and the rotator tendinitis. I am allowed to get back to weights (as long as I don't lift anything over my head for a while)

That all being said... I start Personal Training today and will probably start with my new diet plan on Monday ( I admit I will most likely eat everything in sight this weekend) He is able to work with me on the diet and I already blew his mind with tempeh (he had never heard of it) Once he gives me the plan I will most likely need input on how to "veganize" it

The trainer told me because I already have low body fat I will see "freakish results" ....AWESOME

I told him that one day he'll see me in Oxygen

I had a great workout last night...killed my legs, but it felt great! It was nice to learn that there is still more I can do to get over my hump and reach my "freakish results"

I hit a plateau when I was working out with my self and I am almost certain I was not consuming enough calories or the right ones.

I had my third session with my trainer tonight. INSANE!! The burn is unreal, I have actually never had that burn before. That being said, if I saw the results I saw doing the junk I was doing I am going to see some serious results We are going to bulk up and than cut down. I'm thinking I should aim for a competition of sorts. My goal is fitness modeling (hopefully Oxygen, how could would that be?!?!?!)

Also, I finished my Physical Therapy today. I am not seeing anymore progress there so I might try acupuncture. Has anyone tried this? what were the results?

I have all the exercises I need to keep the pain in my neck and shoulder at minimum, but I can get the knot in my neck neck/trap region to go away.

I had another session with my trainer today. I got a little frustrated because of my shoulder. The trainer is worried about doing anything that might further injure whatever is wrong with it. Which I understand, for some reason this just made me feel weak and made me feel like giving up! just when I thought I had my goal in sight. I think I might try to make another doctors appointment and see if I can't get an MRI of my shoulder to see what is going on in there. The trainer is thinking we might just train my lower body and rehab my upper body. Besides the shoulder, I realized that my forearms are insanely weak, so this is one exercise I will be working on!

inspirational quote of the day:

Difficulties in life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

-- Dan Reeves

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to update everyone:

I am not going to the gym tonight, unfortunately I am sick! double ear and sinus infection, plus a fever! Sucky! couldn't come at a better time as usual. I was supposed to have an exam today and have plans all weekend. looks like plans have changed.

I have been working my butt off at the gym! I swear I can already see a difference (of course this could all be in my imagination..)

because of the shoulder issue I am just working on legs, which is fine since that is where I always had trouble getting results. I am sure i will see results now, when I was working by myself I never reached the point when I physically could not do another one. this is not a problem now, it seems to be the case every time I work out with my trainer.

I can't list what it is that we're doing. I have never actually seen or heard of half of the exercises we're doing and the ones that I have heard of are so modified that I wouldn't know what they're called.

I am also slowly educating the trainer on what vegans eat and what it's all about, he's starting to realize that it is possible to build muscle on a vegan diet (imagine that!)

in other news I am presenting in my drugs class on the subculture of bodybuilding, of course with the way I look when I'm sick I'll look like I'm on drugs!

I figured I should post some progress photos. I don't have any new one's...yet but I figured i'd post some before my shoulder injury and when I was taking some time off lifting. I will post some new ones once I hit a month of working out with my trainer.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2rf37z7.jpg

Before the injury

and after (it's the only one I have that shows my body) :

http://i39.tinypic.com/zvx5r9.jpg

once I get myself better from my ear infection I will start keeping a food log.

• 2 weeks later...

Still need to get a new photo. went to my training session today. we tried to do a bit of arm stuff, the shoulder is still an issue!!!! I am making an appointment again and TELLING them I want an MRI of my shoulder! I know something is wrong since it has not improved since September!!

On the positive side, My trainer had me flex today and told me that he saw HUGE potential and told me if my shoulder was better I could easily have horseshoe triceps!! He told me that he can already see a change in my hips and legs and said that I have major potential. Well it gives me hope, even if I can't reach it at this moment I know it is possible!

Last night I had a training session; every Tuesday and Thursday. Usually legs, but I've been attempting arms, but it can be crazy painful and hard!!! I dance Monday-Friday and do a bit of cardio at the gym on Tues./Thursday

Last night this is what I did:

Leg press: 270 lbs

walk up flight of stairs every other one: with 25lbs

Lunges 3 sets with 15 lbs

Hamstring pulls things with trainers resistance (these are CRAZY hard and make me want to yell!!)

Calf raises: 56.5lbs

inner and outer thigh abduction/adduction : 60lbs

Still need to make another shoulder appointment! I keep forgetting, somebody yell at me!

any how, still getting my diet in order and plan on enlisting veggiep for her help

"...anyhow I will continue to kick my butt in the gym and become the best I can at the moment with the injuries I have, And that's fine with me. I'm young and still have time to become crazy awesome.

"

Brilliant! that's what i wanna see...a bit of attitude

About the shoulder injury..well maybe I can help. i know its horrible if you can-t train like you want to.

I always had shoulder injuries.a combination of using the mouse too much on the computer, stress tension, and using wrong exercises. For example, straight bar cable pulldown behind the neck can cause some real problems, also doing lateral raises too high or maybe upright rows. However, I think the real problem was having the strength in my traps out of proportion with the strength in my shoulders.

This typically happens to women as none of us want big traps and no neck...not at all feminine and really ugly..even on men. So what happens is that we never directly work out traps and then wonder why we keep getting injured.

When you feel a little better, you should try starting your shoulder workout with a few light exercises for the traps to warm up the whole area and ensure against a disproportionate problem in your shoulders and traps.

There are some nice exercises you con do for your delts while guarding against injury. I like a lot of the rotational exercises ...check out you tube. Also, to put on size safely, my recently discovered number 1 fave is olympic bar corner presses.they-re wicked and since i started doing them in my gym a month ago, everyone has become addicted

Also, don-t forget to stretch a lot before and after shoulder exercises, including neck and upper back..if you don-t know how to stretch this area effectively, ask your fisio to show you. Also, beware of storing tension in the traps and neck as its a killer. if you do tense up in this area, remind yourself to relax and do some shoulder rotational exercises at intervals throughout the day, or simply just forcibly contract your shoulders and relax them, this is brilliant for relieving tension.

Anyway, hope this helps and hope you recover soon.

Peace

The first doctor I saw thought it may have something to do with my Traps, that I pulled a muscle or something. unfortunately with dance I have not been able to really let it rest. But when I have (I was sick for about a week) I noticed a lot of pain in my shoulder. The second doctor thought it was my neck so he did an MRI and found a herniated disc, I did Physical Therapy but we noticed little improvement. The doctor than suggested a cortisone shot, which I am weary of since I have no clue what is really wrong. I think I will return to the first doctor I saw and see what his thoughts are on the matter. I'm not really one for using medications, so I will try some of the exercises you mentioned. Any other advice is much appreciated