My first photo log...a little nervous!

Ok, so I think I'm ready to post some pics here. Here's a quick run-down of what I've been up to:

I started training for a marathon in Jan of this year. Basically, have been running about 3-5 days a week until April 26 when I completed the OKC marathon!...so happy about that.

These pics are from around late-Feb. I was obviously more focused on running, but still lifting some weights about 2 times a week.

Now that the marathon training is over and I've been able to lose some body fat, I'm looking to add some more muscle weight. I'm probably going to start in with my running again in about a month or so, but I'd like to use the month of May to really get a good weight routine down and start adding some size.

Anyway, that's kind of where I'm at. These are bad pics from my phone. I'm getting a new camera tomorrow, so I'll be able to provide for some better pics soon.

Thanks for any advice! I know I have a long way to go, but putting these pics out is a great first step I think.

PIC-0006.jpg.7bd1eecd03d42710ce04dbf7c69c907b.jpg

PIC-0008.thumb.jpg.4e2fea72d5c0eb8bf83338d554fc3f30.jpg

This may be too blunt, but from a BB stand point, anytime your abs are as big as your pecs, you need to push the weights on Chest exercises. Though I have been told that endurance runners pecs are small cause you are constantly using your arms all the time, which actually means that they are overtrained. That the process of building the muscle is just torn down the next day. So maybe a little recovery time is warranted here). The delts/shoulders could use some rounding also. So hit the delts at all angles: front, medial, and rear.

Overall, good solid build to tweak here and there.

Congrats on the marathon! I have only done 10 and 13 mile races so far. Love to trail run all the time, but have to watch out since I have gone with BB this season and can't do too much cardio (well, at least not running running. been just jogging and keeping the heart rate down for fat burning purposes only).

no, not possible to be too blunt, it's definitely constructive feedback. I know my chest has always been a weak spot. I guess I'm trying to figure out what kind of routine will work best. Right now I'm just hitting them once a week, although I am going low reps, high weight. I think I need to maybe try for twice a week, but I've read about a million different opinions on that.

Hey, at least I have a good place to start, right? It can only get better (I hope!).

I still haven't decided how much I am going to ramp back up on my running. I don't really know about the thing about long distance running and arms swinging, usually with long distance you try to keep your arms at the side and swing as little as possible to reduce the amount of energy you exert.

So, should I try to hit the chest x2 a week?

I got my new camera today and have a few more pics, but I don't think I've made much progress bulk-wise, although I haven't lost any size, but have trimmed down a little fat I think.

Looking in really good shape dude, do you have any specific goal? Your chest doesn't look bad to me. It depends what you're aiming for. It could be bigger, and from those pictures it looks as though your lats aren't very wide, they don't stick out to very much at all in those pics. To build the mass on the chest, as far as I know, you want to be doing compound exercises like bench. Similarly with back if you want that to grow, compound exercises like rows, pull-ups / chin-ups. But you look good to me, it's up to you what direction you'd like to go in

Try twice a week and see how it progresses. Read as much as you want, but you still need to experience it for yourself and see if your body responds like the info says it will.

With weak spots, it is good to work them more often than the other good body parts. Chest press with barbell is good. Also try to do inclines, but watch your shoulders as they come into play with inclines. Flyes with dumbbells on a flat bench and incline are also good. Try to get the full range of motion by going down till parallel with the floor (bend the elbow just slightly) and up over head till the dumbbells touch. Focus on constant and consistent tension in the motion (do not let the weights use gravity to help you lower the dumbbells on the way down).

And fuel your growth with good food. More than 80% is nutrition when gaining mass and losing bodyfat. And again, read all you want, but find out what works for your body (we can read the guidelines, but we have to write our own manual).

Good luck figuring it all out! I am still learning after doing BB for 10+ years.

Ok guys, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to start next week with a new workout routine. It's been 1 1/2 weeks since my marathon, so I think I'm ready to dive back into working out after giving my body a much needed rest.

I will post my starting routine here and hopefully get a little feedback. Then I'll move my training log to the other forum, and hopefully after a while I can come back here and post some more improved pics.

As far as what I'm looking to accomplish - I'm not exactly sure. I want to increase my size a bit - certainly in my chest some. I'm not after being a huge BB, but I'm looking to be a bit above the average fit person in size at least. I think I already look like I'm in shape - but I want to also look like I've got some strength too. Not sure if that makes any sense?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Overall, good solid build to tweak here and there.

I second this. Good overall condition, quite low bf % and arms look good.

I'd suggest you do pec exercises at least twice a week. Don't push yourself to the absolute limit since when you're at the beginner phase you just need to stimulate your muscles a bit and eat like a horse and stimulation twice a week is much better than once a week. At least it worked like a charm for me when I started lifting.

BTW, that's quite a combination... long distance running along with bbing. Anything is possible, but you have to make some sacrifices I guess.

Anyway, looking forward for updated info & pics!