Nathan's HIT Training

I'M BACK! Big update. School's been keeping me busy, but my last class is monday, and after tomorrow it's just two small projects and I'm done for another year!

Just finished at the gym. Did Legs. I tried running to catch the bus but all I could do was hobble, haha.

Squat

45 x 10

115 x 10

165 x 8

185 x 7

Supersetted with...

Leg Extension

120 x 5

Supersetted with...

Leg Curl

100 x 7

Supersetted with...

Calf Raise

160 x 9

Crunches

220 x 8

180 x 10

Getting a hang of squats. Got up to 185 today and got super low on some of them. Supersetted four exercises today and man, did it kill. I looked at myself in the mirror though and saw some nice definition. It's nice seeing a shape coming out, haha.

Diet is consistant still as well. 1500 calories everyday for the last two or three weeks. It's rough but it's only for a few months, then I'll probably bump it up to 2000. I've been overlooking my diet for too long and it's time to get it in check.

Picture posting time! I was looking in the mirror at the gym and decided it was time for my first comparison pictures. Been training since October, but only seriously on track with diet and exercise in the last month and a half. First set were taken in 2007. I wasn't vegan and was a slob, haha. Next set was taken today.

Keep in mind I'm working out maybe an hour a week (usually 45 minutes). It's only up from here baby!

Before

http://i39.tinypic.com/2whm806.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/f041t.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/28s5u08.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/25ahonn.jpg

Now

http://i41.tinypic.com/sg4kk7.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2pt44ky.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/34sm903.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/i4py77.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/miyrfk.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/11kl7kp.jpg

Dude that's a wide frame you got going on!!!!!!!!!!! I'm Jealous!

NICE improvement. You're gonna rock man; keep at it as i'm sure you will.

I would comment on the smiling but you're obviously smiling in the afters rightfully so

Your package ships tommorrow and expect to receive by May 1st the latest.

Thanks again brother for your support and rock that spirulina when it comes in

Today was a write off. I was going to do IBUR but my legs still kill. I did Chest, Tri's, and Shoulders today.

Dumbbell Flys

15s x 12

20s x 10

25s x 5

Incline Press

110 x 1

90 x 1

70 x 4

Lateral Raises

15s x 8

Pec Dec

50 x 6

French Press

60 x 8

Dips

I had a hard time supersetting, and my numbers are down on incline like crazy. I hope soon I can superset the French Press with Dips. It's so hard to do. Every time I get to the dips I do two and just die. Every though all that wasn't the way it should have been, I felt good afterwards. Couldn't make a phone call for too long because my hands/arms were shaking and super heavy, haha. IBUR Sunday hopefully.

Did IBUR on the bike today. Forgot to get a drink before the workout so I was dying during the fifth interval. Took me a while to catch my breath and convince myself not to puke afterwards, haha. I'm glad I didn't do it yesterday or the day before though because it would have really interferred with my school work. Now that I'm done now, however, it's time to kick it up a notch and go all out.

Down to about 13% (roughly) body fat. That was from well over 20% two months or so ago.

Meals are still the same and still consistant. I feel like a food machine, haha. Dieting is starting to wear on me, but I still have at least a month or so to go (or until I start losing muscle).

Pullovers

30 x 12

35 x 10

40 x 8

50 x 8

Supersetted with...

Close-grip Pulldown

100 x 8

Dumbell Flyes

20's x 10

Shrugs

55's x 8

Deadlift

95 x 5

95 x 6

Dumbbell Curls

25's x 12

Pretty good workout, but still a few things I would have fixed. Shurgs are down and I did flyes rather than standing row, which is what I should have done. Still getting a hang of deadlift form. Watched a few videos at home and hopefully I'll be able to improve with my new knowledge of what to do and what not to do. Curls were WAY too light. I went ten down because 35's were too difficult, but next time I'll probably use different weights for both arms, or just do some pre-exhausting on my right arm. I'm terribly unbalanced all over because of a past injury, but hopefully that will change.

Diet is consistant. Still on the low end of caloric intake. I'm starting to see some definition and it's awesome. I'm going to give it a month or two more, then raise it up to maintenance levels. I'm so sore I didn't feel like typing any of this out. Hurts to lift my arms, haha.

I did IBUR outside last night. My calves are still really tight, haha. Good run though. I perfer it outdoors than on the track. Then again, I'd rather do it on the bike than running. I got a really bad headache near the end, and I don't like that when I run.

Still need to get to the gym to work on my legs. It's hard though, considering I'm biking a lot now. I can't work my legs out because then I won't be able to get home, haha. My bus pass expired, hence why I'm using the bike. I can't justify spending four dollars (there and back) to go to the gym every time.

My caloric intake is up now. Lots more exercise daily so I raised my intake from 1500 to 2400. We'll see how this works for me, haha. I do enjoy eating more though.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a while. It's sad that it got pushed all the way to the second page, haha. I've been doing a ton of biking lately, so it's been really difficult to find a good day to go to the gym. See, I just started a summer class last week. Goes from Monday to Thursday for four hours a day. Since my U-Pass (a University Bus Pass) expired, I have to bike from Dartmouth to Halifax (a SUPER hilly 10KM) and back those four days. Anyway, that has me biking a ton and eating a little more to make up for it. I got to go to the gym yesterday though, which is good, but my numbers are still stuck. Until I get back into a rhythm of things I won't see any strength gains. I'm trying to keep things consistant now.

Here's what I did yesterday (all in lb):

Dumbbell Flys

15's x 12

20's x 8

25's x 6

Incline Press

90 x 3

70 x 6

Lateral Raises

20's x 12

Pec Dec

40(lbs?) x 9

French Press

55 x 6

Dips

0 x 3

0 x 1

Missed my scheduled leg workout last week so I'm starting the cycle over again. Felt good. Chest and arms are sore. Been taking Kre-Alkylin and I'm liking it. Much easier than the Mono and I like the whole no loading business. Still not 100% used to the Spirulina, but then again I'm not taking it regularly as I should be. I'll start drinking it in the mornings and at night I think. Probably would help my consistency out.

IBUR is on hold for now. Tons of biking until this class is over (end of May).

Halifax is a wonderful place to visit, haha. I think I've outgrown it after being here all my life. I desperately want to move to Montreal, get some culture.

I actually go to school at NSCAD (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design). I've taken classes at Dal though. Right now I'm taking a class taught by the guy who designed the header and typeface used by Mclean's Magazine, so it's a good (and informative) time, haha.

I'm going to Montreal this June for a conference (same conference that was in Halifax last year actually) and I'm super excited for it, I've never been.

I know what you mean though, I've lived on the prairies my whole life and I am SO ready to get away from them...

Did a slow 35km bike ride today. It was slow because I was riding with my dad's girlfriend. She's always going at a snail's pace, and I can't just bolt past her, because she'd complain. Anyhow, it was a good warm-up on my off day I guess. Going to kill the gym tomorrow, haha. Going to try to get some sprints in on Sunday, maybe tomorrow if I can do them at night.

Ever since I started training with intensity I can't do anything else. I crave it. Anything else is just worthless now to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted in my blog. I've still been working out and doing tons of cardio on off days, just been busy so haven't posted the data yet.

IBUR is going great. Just in the last two runs I've seen a 300m-400m increase from one run to the next. I'm getting better at transferring from sprinting to proper running form. Ever since I made my own mix song to listen to when I run it has helped me a lot. Keeps my mind off the pain when I sprint, haha.

Been doing a ton of biking. At least 10km of biking every day, sometimes 15 or 20. I'm finding doing medium-intense cardio on the days I'm not training really helpful. In a few months when I keep this up I'll have no extra bodyfat left, haha.

Started doing abdominal stretches in the morning for 35 minutes. It fits nicely into my day and my stomach is really getting stronger/leaner. There are a ton of abdominal exercises/stretches I haven't tried yet, but hopefully I'll find a way to incorporate them into my weekly routine. Need to start doing leg workouts, but with all the biking I've done to get to school and back, it's hard to find a time when my legs aren't incredibly sore and I feel up to a full leg workout.

ALRIGHT, so here is the last three workouts I did.

May 16

Pullovers

25 x 12

35 x 10

45 x 8

55 x 12

superset with...

Close-grip Pulldown

100 x 9

Seated Row

90 x 10

Shrugs

60s x 7

Deadlift

115 x 8

115 x 8

Preacher Curls

40 x 8

May 23

Bench Press

45 x 12

95 x 10

115 x 2

115 x 4

Dumbbell Flys

30s x 2

25s x 6

20s x 8

Lateral Raises

20s x 12

20s x 6

15s x 10

Pec Dec

40 x 10

35 x 8

French Press

55 x 4

50 x 8

Dips

May 27

Pullovers

30 x 12

40 x 10

45 x 8

50 x 7

superset with...

Close-grip Pulldown

110 x 7

Bent-over Dumbell Row

35s x 8

35s x 12

35s x 4

Shrugs

60s x 8

Deadlift

135 x 8

135 x 8

Dumbbell Curls

25s x 8

25s x 8

25s x 8

25s x 8

Do you do dumbell pullovers, or with a machine?

I used to love doing dumbell pullovers and supinated grip stiff arm pulldowns till i started doing rollouts. All are awesone for the lats.

Keep up the training mate!

IBUR killed me. I loved it. Took me a good while to catch my breath and make sure I wasn't going to let lose a torrent of pre-digested food. The article it is mentioned is is here.

Wow..that looks so cool! gonna try it first thing monday!

Do you do dumbell pullovers, or with a machine?

I used to love doing dumbell pullovers and supinated grip stiff arm pulldowns till i started doing rollouts. All are awesone for the lats.

Keep up the training mate!

I use a barbell for pullovers. I find it's easier to keep my form in check as opposed to using dumbells.

IBUR killed me. I loved it. Took me a good while to catch my breath and make sure I wasn't going to let lose a torrent of pre-digested food. The article it is mentioned is is here.

Shit man! That was awesome! Did it twice in a row believe it or not...I was in the gym on the running machine and i don-t think I-ve ever sweated so much!! Got off the machine with my face as red as a strawberry, with everyone looking at me! hahahha Calves are KILLING me today which makes me really happy..the bastards never grow no matter how I work them..just never tried running so fast before, I had the machine up to the max!

Did legs today, for the first time in a while.

Squats

95 x 12

115 x 10

135 x 6 (went too far down on the 6th)

135 x 10

Could probably go heavier but I'm working on going ass to floor with these.

Leg Extension

100 x 8

supersetted with...

Leg Curl

100 x 6

Calf raise

180 x 12

Weighted Crunches

150lb x 12

150lb x 12

Overall, great workout. I was sweating like a big after the squats. My back is a tad sore (very minor) but that means my form was a little off, and I noticed that. Still strict form 99.9% of the time, but I'll keep on an eye on it next time and make it 100%. This made me realize how much I really miss squats. Favorite exercise for sure.

Shit man! That was awesome! Did it twice in a row believe it or not...I was in the gym on the running machine and i don-t think I-ve ever sweated so much!! Got off the machine with my face as red as a strawberry, with everyone looking at me! hahahha Calves are KILLING me today which makes me really happy..the bastards never grow no matter how I work them..just never tried running so fast before, I had the machine up to the max!

That's awesome man! Yeah, IBUR will REALLY push your limits. That's what I like about it.

If by running machine you mean treadmill, try not to use them for IBUR. Any sort of HIIT training requires going from a moderate jogging pace to a sprint instantly. treadmills do require a few seconds to get up to speed, and since running intervals are short as it is, it cuts into the time and effectiveness of the routine. Running outside or on a track is ideal. If you're stuck inside without a track though you can always use a stationary bike. Now that is KILLER, haha.