My favorite burrito recipe

Brendan Dever

This is my favorite of everything I make at home. This is the only thing my omnivore family requests from me and they seem to love it. It's simple and easy to make. It has a good amount of protein with the tempeh and beans.

Ingredients:

1 large bell pepper - diced

1 large onion - diced

1 can diced tomatoes - DON'T DRAIN... I use the Muir Glen organic roasted diced tomatoes, but anything is fine.

1 can black beans - drained and rinced

1 pkg Tempeh - crumbled into small pieces. 3 Grain is my favorite

1 small can of corn - drained

1 packet of vegan taco seasoning

1T chili powder - optional, but I like to use it

tortilla shells, corn or flour... I prefer flour

guacamole - optional

vegan sour cream - optional

vegan cheese - optional

Get a large pan and heat some oil in it. I use Grapeseed oil, but any is fine. Saute the tempeh until it's almost browned. Then I add about 1/3 of the seasoning packet and mix into the tempeh. Then add the onions. Cook until the onions are translucent. Then add the bell peppers and cook for about 1 minute. Then I add the black beans, corn and tomatoes plus the rest of the seasoning packet and the chili powder. Then I cook it all together, stiring frequently until most of the liquid is gone. Then turn off the heat and let it sit for about 5 minutes and it's ready. Put it into a tortilla and add whatever else you want. I use guacamole a lot, but it's great with Sour Supreme also. Also add some vegan cheese if you wish.

This recipe is very versatile, you can pretty much add anything you want. Sometimes I'll add jalapeno peppers or a few chipotle peppers (diced) when the tempeh is about 1/2 done. If you don't have tempeh, you can add Textured Vegetable Protein when you put in the tomatoes.

Well, enjoy

That does sound like a good burrito recipe and I do love burritos. Have you ever had a chimichanga? Its basically a burrito that is deep fried. They are terrible for you as far as fat goes but oh so tasty. You just cant eat them all the time.

No problem, hope you like it Tempeh is hard to find good recipes for. I need to find some more cuz I love using it!

Chimichangas are amazing, but yeah can't eat them often unfortunately :\

You can use this recipe for almost anything Mexican: like nachos, chimichangas, enchiladas, etc...

Another thing I use it with is a taco casserole type dish. I get a casserole dish and layer the bottom with tostada shells. Then I spread a thin layer of the mixture over it and make a few layers like that. Then I'll top it with enchilada sauce and Vegan Gourmet cheese, cover it with foil and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

i've been experimenting with some burrito creations myself lately. nothing terribly fancy, but still delicious. actually i just wanted something fast.

i had some leftover vegan chili so i added some rice and wrapped it in a chipotle tortilla. i switched it up a little the next night when i found that my family had made some mexican rice with corn mixed in. so i found some vegan "chicken" strips and baked them with barbeque sauce, put the rice/corn, and again in the chipotle tortilla. both of these came out so delicious! it's crazy what you will come up with when you are hungry and in a hurry.