EliteDad's Training & Diet Journal

Looking good man!

I've got a question though How come you're doing squats, rows, shrugs and presses in the smith machine? Why not go free weight and strengthen those stabilizers and gain some functional strength that can be transfered to sports or daily activities? You might have to deload but it's well worth it!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Octo, I will be changing thing up in a couple of more weeks, will add shoulders with legs then, I haven't forgotten your advice, I will do it soon, xCx, & Mary, I agree with you both as well, I have been doing them in the Smith, cause I have had 3 lower back surgeries, so Here soon will go to the free weights on all of those as well!!! Just being a little too careful!!!

Today was CARDIO!!! I did 30 minutes on the Crossramp Machine, and 20 minutes running -walking on the Treadmill:

Diet:

630am: Lobsteriffic's pancakes!!! 1 kiwi

9:00am: pear, handful of nuts

12:00pm: pear , nuts

3:00pm: small salad

4:30pm: post workout shake

630pm: vegetarian taco salad( refried beans, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, multigrain tostitos

sorry was at the ballpark all day for my girls softball tournament!!!

I personally don't really like most of the commercial pre workout drinks. Working within the sports nutrition industry I have tried a lot of the pre workout drinks over the last few years and I think there are precious few that are any better than using an espresso and creatine monohydrate before a workout.

I think just stick to the real basics (I just use spirulina, branched chain amino acids, creatine and now yerba mate - weaned myself off coffee for the most part) and I think you will have enough of a strength and energy boost with out all the expense.

That being said, I really want to try the Vega sport pre workout drink but can't get it from veganproteins.com yet....

Good luck trying the free weight exercises, it will pay off for you over time. Seeing as though you have had back problems, try and make sure you keep your abdominals and the rest of your core strong and it will reduce some of the stress on your back. If you can get someone knowledgable to look at your form and make sure you don't get ahead of yourself with the weight - for me it was easier said than done when I began!

Your diet doesn't look too bad, bit light on the protein possibly. Try and add a small serving of a protein source to your salad, like chickpeas or tempeh or similar (I like lentil burgers too) and even add some sort of seeds, like pumpkin when you eat your pear and nuts.

It will just help with recovery if you're getting a little more protein and should help with increasing muscle mass.

Looking good though mate, sorry I didn't join your journal till this late.

Thanks man appreciate the helpful advice!! I have just a bit of preworkout left then going to go without, as for the creatine mono, I used to use it, but haven't for about 12 weeks, Where do you find the Spirulina and the BCAAs, I have used the bcaas before by X-tend had good results with them!!

As far as the protein, that is where am having trouble, before became Vegan, I knew exactly what go eat for protein, or so I thought(too much actually!!) anyway having trouble figuring out where to get it from as well as when to eat them now!! I know a lot of you all have helped me out , I just feel stupid, for asking all these questions and advice!! I just want to get to where I look good!! I meani feel great now and am feeling better everyday!! I don't feel blah anymore after I eat!! I wish I would have done this sooner!! Been working put for over 3 years now, just have trouble putting muscle on!!

Hey everyone, today started the last wee of heavy before I switch it up, so if anyone has any ideas on a new routine, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

TRI'S & BI'S:

Started with 10 minutes on the bike, Then:

SkullCrushers:

1 x 12 @ 50lbs

4 X 10 @ 60lbs

Close Grip Bench Press:

1 x 12 @ 50lbs

4 X 10 @ 60lbs

Tricep Rope Pushdowns:

1 x 12 @ 40lbs

4 x 10 @ 50lbs

DB Tricep Overhead Extensions:

1 x 12 @ 50lbs

4 x 10 @ 60lbs

Preacher Curls:

1 x 12 @ 50lbs

4 x 10 @ 60lbs

Hammer Curls:

1 x 12 @ 15lbs

4 x 10 @ 25lbs

2 Arm High Cable Curls:

1 x 12 @ 20lbs

4 x 10 @ 25lbs

I went down in weight a little , just to get my form right!!Then I went and did a 30 minute AB Class!!!

Diet:

6:00am: 3/4 cup oatmeal mixed with 1/2 cup mixed fruit, 2 left over pancakes

9:00am: 1 kiwi, 1 pear, handful of mixed nuts

12:00pm: salad with sunflower seeds,cucumbers, and my dressing, 1 apple 1 kiwi

3:00pm: 1 bannana

5:30pm: post workout shake

7:00pm: veggie burger on wheat bun small salad

Mate, you don't need to apologise or feel bad for asking, everyone here has something to share and we're all still finding out new things.

The Spirulina and BCAA's you can probably find at most health food stores. There are online stores that have them too.

I use the Lifestream Spirulina and Gen-Tec BCAA's but this is Australia, I don't know if you can find those brands overseas. I know the MRM BCAA's are vegan friendly, pretty sure the Xtend is too. Veganproteins have spirulina, the powder is the way to go, as bad as it may taste. I use about 30-40g per day and that would be a lot of tablets!

As far as protein sources goes, I like tempeh, I seem to feel better using that rather than a lot of tofu (never really liked it unless it is cooked in a nice recipe). I also eat lentil burgers, a variety of legumes and also nutmeat, which is just a mixture of peanut and wheat gluten, nicer than it sounds!!

Having a variety is the way to go, I generally cook a couple of different things and just store in the fridge so I have a few days worth of food and not just eating the same thing.

Try to have a small hit of protein every few hours, your diet looks pretty good, just try and bump up the protein content in a couple of the meals - that's where some tempeh or mixed beans comes in. You can add them to your salad and it will boost the protein content.

You can also try things like chia seeds and quinoa, they have a good amount of protein along with some healthy fats and a variety of minerals.

I'll see what else I can come up with and get back to you..

I think joel is right on with his advice about your diet. It's looking great - just bump up the protein a little bit and you should be doing awesome!

As for your routine, there are others here far more knowledgeable than I, but I would suggest focusing on compound movements (e.g., bench, squat, deadlift, chin ups/pull ups, etc) over isolation exercises. I've found that works really well for myself. Perhaps someone else can give you more detailed advice.

As for your routine, there are others here far more knowledgeable than I, but I would suggest focusing on compound movements (e.g., bench, squat, deadlift, chin ups/pull ups, etc) over isolation exercises. I've found that works really well for myself. Perhaps someone else can give you more detailed advice.

Yep, compound is the way to go - provided you are able to train with good form.

I've never really been a believer in isolation exercises ( funny because I'm a bodybuilder and we're known for using 'shaping' exercises!) I think using exercises that are going to stimulate the muscle fibres under the heaviest load in good form are always going to be more effective than using a machine or isolation movement. I'm sure people will disagree with me but I think our muscles are going to grow in a certain way no matter how many 'shaping' exercises people might use to try to enhance their bicep peak or build more quad sweep. Just use simple exercises that target as many muscle fibres as possible and train yourself to be as strong as you can in them, you'll grow a lot quicker that way.

Thanks soooo much you three!!! You all have been awesome help!!!! I really appreciate it, Joel, I have 2 weeks of this rotation set then I will change it up and I will send you what I am going to do , so if you will look it over and let me know what you think that would be awesome!!!! Lobsteriffic & Marystella, what else can I say about you two???? You both have been the best help someone could ask for!!!!Mary I took your advice, you will see it below, ( Hummus!!!)

Today's workout was just SHOULDERS!!!!Started with 10 minutes on the bike, Then:

OverHead Shoulder Press:

1 x 12 @ 100lbs

1 x 10 @ 120lbs

3 x 10 @ 140lbs

DB Side Lat Raises:

1 x 12 @ 30lbs

4 x 10 @ 35lbs

DB Front Raises:

1 x 12 @ 15lbs

1 x 10 @ 25lbs

3 x 10 @ 30lbs

DB Shrugs:

1 x 12 @ 80lbs

4 x 12 @ 90lbs

Finished off with 20 minutes on the crossramp machine, Really good workout today!!!

DIET:

6:00am: 3/4 cup oatmeal with 1/2 cup mixed berries and honey, 1 bannana

9:00am: hummus spread on carrots, handful of nuts, 1 kiwi, 1 pear

12:00pm: salad with cucumbers, sunflower seeds, onions, tomatoes and my dressing, 1 veggie burger pattie

3:00pm: 1 bannana, handful of nuts

5:30pm: post workout shake

7:00pm: homemade veggie soup( 2 Bowls)

Pretty good diet I think today!!!???

Hey everyone today was everyone's favorite!!! LEGS!!!!

Started with 10 minutes of hills on the bike level 10, Then:

Smith machine Squats:

1 x 12 @ 215lbs

4 x 10 @ 265lbs

Leg Extensions:

1 x 12 @ 170lbs

4 x 10 @ 190lbs

Kneeling Leg Curls:

1 x 12 @ 70lbs

4 x 10 @ 90lbs

Glute Isolator Machine:(WOW My Butt hurts after this one!!!)

1 x 12 @ 30lbs

4 x 10 @ 40lbs

Donkey Calf Raises:

6 x 20 @ 340lbs

Then had to take my daughter to practice!! No AB class!!!

DIET:

6:00am: 3/4 cup oatmeal with 1/2 cup mixed berries, 1 pear

9:00am: baby carrots with hummus, 1 pear, 1 kiwi, handful of mixed nuts

1200pm: salad with cucumber, sunflower seeds, tomatoes onions and my dressing, 1 veggie burger pattie

300pm: 1 bannana, handful mixed nuts

5:00pm: post workout shake with creatine, handful of nuts

700pm: 3 bean burritos

Hope this diet looks good!!!! All in all a great day, I am not tired anymore, have gained a little energy throughout the day!!!!

Thanks you 2, JW yeah I love them Burritos as well, I can eat them anytime, it was just easy lastnight, being as we were at my girls softball practice till almost 9:00!! Lobsteriffic, thanks for keeping up with my log!!!

Hey my fellow VEGANS!!!!! Today was BACK Day!!!

Started with 10 minutes on the Bike on Hills, leve 12!!! Then:

Close Grip Pulldowns:

1 x 12 @ 140lbs

1 x 10 @ 180lbs

1 x 10 @ 180lbs

1 x 5 @ 180lbs

BentOver E-Z Bar Curls:

1 x 12 @ 90lbs

1 x 10 @ 110lbs

1 x 10 @ 110lbs

1 x 10 @ 110lbs

1 x 5 @ 110lbs

Assisted Pullups( Wide Grip);

1 x 12 @ 140lbs

1 x 10 @ 130lbs

1 x 10 @ 130lbs

1 x 10 @ 130lbs

1 x 10 @ 130lbs

High Lat Row Machine:

1 x 12 @ 180lbs

1 x 10 @ 230lbs

1 x 10 @ 230lbs

1 x 10 @ 230lbs

1 x 8 @ 230lbs

Then did 25 minutes on the Crossramp Machine

DIET:

9:00am: 1 pear, 1 kiwi, carrots and hummus, handful of mixed nuts

12:00pm: salad with cucumbers, onions,tomatoes, sunflower seeds, my dressing, 1 bean burrito

3:00pm: 1 bannana, handful nuts

5:30pm: post workout shake with Creatine,

7:00pm: Large salad with onions, cucumbers sunflower seeds my dressing

Thanks you 3, and thanks for stopping by and keeping me inspired!!! It is hard for me to keep going sometimes, cause I am just not seeing many results!!! But I keep on plugging along!!!

Today was CHEST!!

Started with 10 minutes on the Bike set on Hills, level 12, then:

Flat Bench DB Press:

1 x 12 @ 50lbs

1 x 10 @ 55lbs

3 x 10 @ 65lbs

Incline Press:

1 x 12 @ 100lbs

1 x 10 @ 100lbs

3 x 8 @ 140lbs

Decline Bench Press:

1 x 12 @ 95lbs

1 x 10 @ 95lbs

3 x 8 @ 145lbs

Peck Deck Machine:

1 x 12 @ 115lbs

4 x 10 @ 155lbs

Assisted Dips:

4 x 10 @ BW

No extra CARDIO, getting up early for the annual walk/run for Breast Cancer, with Team PowerHouse!!! Wish us luck, we hav 80 members just from the gym going!!!

DIET:

9:00am: 1 bannana, 1 kiwi, carrots(out of Hummus) 1 pear, handful of mixed nuts

12:00pm: salad with onions, tomatoes and sunflower seeds and dressing, 1 black bean burger pattie

3:00pm: 1 bannana, handful of mixed nuts

5:30pm: post workout shake with Creatine

7:30pm: 3 homemade bean burritos, much better than anywhere else!!!

Hey everyone, Today was an off day except for the big Race 4 Hope for Breast Cancer, It was a lot of fun!!! Me and the wife walked most of it,so we did the 5K in 49 minutes, not too bad beaing as how this was our first one!!! Next time we plan on running!!! There is another 5K run next weekend we are thinking about doing, not sure if we will or not??

DIET:

6:00am:4 VEGAN Pancakes, 1 pear

9:00am: post race shake, with Creatine, 1 pear

12:00pm: salad, leftover homemade bean burritos, 1 kiwi

3:00pm: handful of nuts, 1 kiwi, 1 pear

6:30pm: made our first batch of scrambled Tofu out of the VEGAN WITH A VENGENCE book, and also made the roasted potatoes out of it as well!!! I loved it all, my wife didn't like the tofu, so I had some leftovers for tomorrow!!! Pretty easy to make, she just didn't like it, I on the other hand loved it!!!