apple's log

Yesterday was plyometrics day...it seemed harder than usual! And this morning I ran 4 miles, but walked a bit of them because my legs hadn't really recovered from the plyo. I'm about to do the chest and back exercise, even though my lats are still kind of sore from all those slow push ups the other day.

I signed up for a 10k run in Miami next saturday! So excited. It probably won't be fast or anything, since I just found out that it was happening when I'm going down there anyway, so I haven't exactly trained for it. I'm just going to have fun!

I meant to write my thoughts about the Boston Marathon the other day: watching the elite runners finish their races so FAST has made me really want to run faster. I currently run about 10 minute miles when I'm on a long run, but I would love to eventually get to 8.5 minute miles in time for my first marathon next January. Quite a few people in my family have run marathons, but my uncle has been the only one to run one under 3.5 hours. If I can just get to 3.5hr, I'll be freaking happy as hell! (It will be almost half hour faster than my older-brother-the-runner's first marathon, and when he hangs his head in shame, I'll tell him I'm only better because I'm vegan!!) It's going to take some hardcore training though. And a lot of carbs.

Really half-assed the chest and back workout the other day, as well as the yoga today. Gotta have more carbs if I want to work out, I think. I just hate that I have no upper body fat and a ton of lower body fat, and I have to look absolutely skeletal on top in order to have a decent bottom half, so I just really have no idea as to what to do about my diet/workout to even it out at all. I'll just keep on keeping on for now...focus more on strength and fitness and less on looks!!

Legs should be okay for a run tomorrow, so I hope to be hitting the road in the cool hours of the morning.

Hello Apple, thank you for the welcome post a few weeks back! How are you getting on with the P90X? A couple of my tramping buddies swear by it, but Ive never stuck to it. Id way rather be outside!

Didnt really read too closely, but Im getting the vibe that youre a natural pear shape and not too happy about it? Im more stringy naturally, which i hate, I'd kill to have some girly curves! But when i got serious about climbing and loaded up on the upper body work and the carbs I bulked up more than i thought a skinny girl could. I love my body where its at now because i know i treat it right with lots of vegan goodness, fresh air, and exercise! If youve ran alot and never done much strength work the result would be a strong muscular lower body and skinny arms. The ex-gf that converted me to vegan used to call it T-Rexia whenever we would be running on the beach and see all the tourist chicks running miles and never working the upper body, they were working so hard to get those skinny legs but they didnt get why their legs kept getting bigger and their arms looked sadly puny.

Id say youre right on about not thinking about looks. Whats importnat is feeling good about your awesome body!! Vegan isnt just about animals or the environment, its about doing something great for you!! Love those workouts and dont be afraid to load up on apples with almond butter when your done. your muscles and your taste buds will thank you for it

Keep up the good work!

-Andy

andy,

hahaha t-rexia!! I definitely have that. Even when I'm not running or exercising at all, I have bigger legs than arms. I'm *okay* with my pear shape half the time, I just need to lose a little fat and if it's replaced with muscle and I turn out to be the exact same size, I'll be okay with it because at LEAST I'll be stronger...and less jiggly. I just read on some other post, Marcina recommended some swimming as cardio replacement so that the upper body could be worked some more, and I think I might try that, but the only day I could possibly do it every week would be Saturday (since that's the day I can get into the campus gym for free). ...I just can't swim in a straight line. I'll look like a goof in the pool!!

As for P90X, I do think it's incredibly effective, but it's getting warm enough now that I would rather be outside. However, my aunt and uncle have gone through the whole program at least once and they've memorized the workouts from doing them for so long, so it takes them about half the time to just go through the whole thing from memory instead of with the dvd, and they can do it wherever they are, instead of being stuck inside with the tv.

robert,

thanks so much for the well-wishes! I'm doing great. I ran 4 miles without stopping yesterday at a 9min mi pace, which is pretty freaking sweet for me. It's pretty amazing how much an upcoming race motivates me to get going!

I hope you have an awesome, relaxing time resting up and catching your breath again.

shoulders and arms workout today. I really haven't been following the program to a T, for all those who are monitoring this thread with vigilance. Also did the ab ripper, and raked a bunch of leaves for an hour. That totally counts as exercise.

I did the workout without the dvd this time, and it went by MUCH faster. I also did it outside in the sunshine before it got too hot

In other news, I signed up for the outer banks half marathon (in november). It's the same one I did last year. I thought I'd do it again this year since it will fall at just about the time I should be running 13 miles in my marathon training program. Should keep me in line in the program! I ran 2:20 last year, so this year I want to take a whopping 30 minutes AT LEAST off my time. I did quite a bit of walking from mile 10-12 and I want to run all the way through this year. And then we'll see what happens at the marathon!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I've done quite a bit of traveling, and one thing about the p90x is...I don't want to carry 8, 10 and 12 # dumbbells through the airports. Nor do I have the money to spend on a gym...so I fell off the wagon AGAIN. Along with falling off the strength conditioning wagon, I have fallen off the good eating wagon, and hardly ate much over my break.

I did a six mile training run on May 2nd, which went pretty well, I hardly walked at all (but trudged a bit between mile 3 and 5). Then I went home, ate like, 800 calories for two days straight because being at home stresses me out and stress for me = eat less, obsess about healthy calories, etc...so my 3 miler on May 5th was REALLY SLOW, but running in general helped me get a good appetite back. Ate around 1200-1400 calories daily for the rest of the week, ran another 3 miler on the 7th, flew to Miami, drank some beer and ate bananas Friday night (not healthy carbs, but no one was getting dinner so I had to have SOMETHING for my race the next morning), then ran my 10k race Saturday in 1:01:somethingseconds. I'm positive I could have done much better with a healthier diet.

So this is where I hold myself accountable, and make a REAL promise to myself to do a lot better. I'm tired of making excuses for myself, and I DO want to see where this p90x training can take me, so I'm beginning all over again on Monday and I'm not copping out for any reason. I say Monday because I'm going to pump myself up for this, and get in a fully prepped mindset for work work work!!!

I know what it's like to fall off the wagon. I've gotten a cold for the second time in two months, so I've really slowed down my training. Stupid colds!

The important thing is that you get back on it as soon as you can ^^

So while I was prolonging my hiatus, I decided to make P90X a little more Me-friendly. I'm going to do the strength training episodes (chest and back, shoulders, bi, and tri, legs and back, etc) and run between those workouts. Running is a priority for me so I want to make sure that I'm doing it--and I have to say, when I did the plyometrics, I did not want to run afterward.

So I did chest and back yesterday, AND I even did half of my push ups with my knees off the ground, and half with them on, just to make it more challenging (haha I sound so weak). I got much lower in my push ups with my knees on the ground, and felt better about cranking out a few more that way.

Today is a 4mi run day...once it warms up a bit! I can't believe it's only 45F outside.

For the past week I've done all the strength-training and stretching parts of P90X but not yoga or kempo, just went running instead. Last week's day of plyometrics AND running was a pretty bad idea because it took about three days for my legs to recover, so my running on thursday and saturday was kind of pathetic! So I skipped plyo today and just went on a run, I think about 4 miles or so.

I'm getting a little better with my push ups--I can do 5-6 standard push ups without stopping, then I drop down to my knees and do 5-6 more that way. The decline push ups are pretty killer though, so I generally just get through 8 of those.

On the shoulders/bi/tri day last week I did 12 pound weights for just about everything, except triceps exercises--those took 10 pounders. It's so fucking cool to feel stronger!!

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely working hard! I love it. I love how it feels to be in the middle of a workout and say to myself, "you can do it, look at what you're already doing, keep going!" and at the end of a workout, "look what you've already done today! you don't have to do anything else, and you've still gotten something great done!" It's almost like working out gives me an excuse to be kind of lazy for the rest of the day.

But I especially love feeling stronger, faster, better. Looking great. Eating healthy (especially when I know that I could easily turn to that "I'm working hard, I can eat whatever I want!" mentality so easily). I even love being sore and tired.

Shoulders, biceps and triceps workout this morning-10/12 pound weights, 10 reps per exercise. Abs for 20 minutes. Ran 4 miles in the heat and sweated buckets.

Felt great, even though I'm sleep deprived and finding it hard to roll out of bed. Life is good.