Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Training for muscles
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:28 pm 
Finch

This is really a good article here but fourth point is really good.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:45 am 
Finch

Daywalker wrote:
Here's a good routine VeganEssentials posted.

Day 1 - Legs and shoulders (two groups that do not interfere with each other)
1. Barbell or dumbbell clean (from floor to shoulders) and overhead press - 1-2 warmup sets, 3x6-8 reps work sets. The clean part is done to warm up the legs and lower back while working the shoulders, which will get you ready for the leg work.
2. Full squats - parallel or deeper, 1-3 warmup sets, 3x6-8 reps work sets
3. Stiff legged deadlifts, knees slightly bent to 15-25 degrees - 3x6-8 reps work sets (no warmup necessary unless you feel it is for the best)

This will take care of your legs and shoulders with no worries about added junk thrown in, all good compound exercises and you can be in and out in less than an hour easily.

Rest 1-2 days

Day 2 - Upper back and chest work
1. Barbell or dumbbell rows - 1-2 warmup sets, 3 work sets of 6-8 reps
2. Pull-ups (assisted if you can't do enough normally) or single-arm pulldowns - 3 work sets of 6-8 reps (no need to warm up here)
3. Incline bench press barbell or DB - 1-2 warmup sets, 3 work sets of 6-8 reps
4. Close-grip flat bench (hands 10-14" apart) - 3 work sets of 6-10 reps

You'll hit your upper back well from 2 angles, and you'll hit your chest and triceps well enough in there as well, again with no filler and a quick workout.

Rest 1-2 days

Day 3 - Lower back work / fun stuff 1. Deadlifts from floor - 1-3 warmup sets, 3 work sets of 6-8 reps
2. Deadlift lockouts in a power rack (from just above knees to a finished deadlift position) - 3 work sets of 6-8 reps with 20-30% more weight than was pulled from the floor
3. From here, pick 2 more exercises that don't conflict with the rest of the week's lifting and have fun with them. If you want to train arms a bit more, hit some dumbbell hammer curls (after the incline and close-grip benching you probably won't have much urge to do any tricep work!). If you feel you need more trapezius work, toss in some shrugs. If you want to do grip or forearm work, throw some in. If you want to try some olypic lifts, do them here. A lot of times I make one day per week the random day where I have one thing I MUST do, such as deadlifts, and the rest is whatever feels good. This keeps you looking forward to getting in there and you still get everything done, but now you get to pick a bit more instead of always following the same routine.

Rest 1-2 days and repeat!

This focuses on quite a few compound exercises, leaves out the isolation work and junk that just takes up time for those who don't necessarily need to put focus into one part, and you'll get the most "bang for your buck" with the things that are listed here.

Thank you for the post, it's really helpful for me and my friends. :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:35 pm 
Finch

ChaserHUN wrote:
I want to ask why is it better to train different muscle groups of different days? and is it bad to train all muscle groups all days?

It would be impossible to train everything on every workout day unless you were trying to set some kind of speed lifting world record....this would be a bit quirky and wouldnt do your healthy much good e.g. lifting injuries and poor technique

It is taboo in weight lifting to work the same muscle group without at least a 24 hour break between workouts because you build up acid in your muscles that can actually cause more damage that good. It is my understanding that non weight based training is OK to do Everyday e.g. pushups

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:45 pm 
Manatee

When it comes to gaining muscle, unless you are not all natural - I always thought it best to train less but harder. Essentially training as close to failure as often as possible, compound movements and concentrate on recovery - not time in the gym.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:42 pm 
Finch

As someone that has overdone it and ruined their knee by running too much. Do you have any alternate leg exercises? I can't do lunges or squats most days. My left thigh is more than an inch smaller than my right leg because of various surgeries and lack of being able to use my leg regularly to lift.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:50 pm 
Rabbit

I'm wary of the overhead press as it seems to call for lowering the arms below 90 degrees. It is my understanding that this puts great stress on your shoulder that will cause injury.

Other opinions on this?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:26 pm 
VeganDrew wrote:
I'm wary of the overhead press as it seems to call for lowering the arms below 90 degrees. It is my understanding that this puts great stress on your shoulder that will cause injury.

Other opinions on this?
There isn't any reason to be wary of the OHP. The bench press puts stress on the shoulders. If putting stress on the shoulder is a reason to avoid either exercise than no one would be doing horizontal or vertical pressing. Just make sure you use proper technique with ANY exercise and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:21 pm 
Rabbit

I don't mean stress on the shoulder, period, I mean excessive stress because the elbows go below the shoulder. I was told, for instance, that doing dumbbell shoulder press and letting your arms go below 90 degrees causes a lot more stress than if you were to stop at 90.

But thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:41 pm 
I do dumbbell shouder presses and my elbows are below 90 degrees. I let the DB descend until it rests on my shoulder and pause before ascending again. I don't feel excessive stress on my shoulders.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:37 pm 
Elephant

forget about that "don't go below 90°" bullshit!! i actually don't know where this rumor comes from but it's simply not true that going below 90° puts "excessive stress" on the shoulder, knee, elbow, whatever! the worst thing you can do is to stop at 90°! there's even a german study about that subject. use the full ROM at every excercise: squats, shoulder press, bench press, etc and you will be alright.

The Squat:

“It's a great excuse to wear a big ass belt that makes you look less fat.”

- Dave Tate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:17 pm 
Rabbit

xphilx wrote:
forget about that "don't go below 90°" bullshit!! i actually don't know where this rumor comes from but it's simply not true that going below 90° puts "excessive stress" on the shoulder, knee, elbow, whatever! the worst thing you can do is to stop at 90°! there's even a german study about that subject. use the full ROM at every excercise: squats, shoulder press, bench press, etc and you will be alright.

For what it's worth, this guy disagrees and demonstrates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74QB-UQCm88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:51 pm 
Parallel 90 degree squats put more pressure on knees than Full Squats. Once you go below parallel the weight transfers from the knees to the hips. I have an article bookmarked somewhere; I think I read it on T-nation.

I agree with xphilx post. I don't know where this don't go below 90 degree myth came from. I get frustrated by the myth. The more ROM, the more muscle groups get recruited. Watch olympiclifters clean and jerk. The bar is resting across their front shoulders/upper chest before they jerk it.

Last edited by 4X4 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:13 pm 
Rabbit

I'm very willing to be corrected on the 90 degree thing, but honestly are olympic lifters the best examples for keeping your joints healthy? I mean, being a good football player requires giving and taking hits. It's not good for your body just because the pros do it. They just make a dangerous living. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:08 am 
Elephant

VeganDrew wrote:
xphilx wrote:

For what it's worth, this guy disagrees and demonstrates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74QB-UQCm88

dude this guy is talking about leg extensions - the most dangerous exercise for your knees ever.
see, i never questioned that the most pressure lasts on your knee when your legs are in an angle of 90°, that's actually a fact. but that's why you don't want to stop at that point because that's the most harmful position.
so you have basically two options: pass that point an go below 90° and the full rom and train like a man or stop before you reach 90° and train like a pussy. ;)

The Squat:

“It's a great excuse to wear a big ass belt that makes you look less fat.”

- Dave Tate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:05 pm 
Finch

Hey guys, i want to ask something. Is it possible to build a pretty big muscles if i am doing a lot of cardio-like stuff? I love running and cycling, but i also want to be a bigger guy :) Maybe i just need to add a bunch of extra calories and it will be good? What you think?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next