Powerblock adjustable dumbbells

Anyone use the Powerblock adjustable dumbbells. Any good?

I was going to start using my dumbbell handles more and would rather not spend the money but working out alone, dumbbells using plates could be dangerous and the Powerblock would be quicker to change weight.

what about barbells?

for the cost of an 80lb set of powerblocks you could pick up a cage, bench and olympic 300lb set. and new as well.

much better getting that IMO. if you are worried about getting stuck whilst training on your own whilst benching, simply put the pins up so that you are doing bottom position benching. no chance of getting squashed

jonathan

I have Powerblocks, although I'm not a fan of them. I don't like how they are balanced and I the weight seems a little off. I'd, personally, rather have a set of hexagon dumbbells.

Individual ones would be really expensive.

Do you think pullovers and presses where you touch the weights together would be dangerous with dumbbell handles (weights coming lose.)

With the weights right above my head, just the worry probably limits me.

Also, the powerblock weights are very secure (won't come lose), right?

i was thinking of buying some of these myself. i'm planning on working out more at home. i don't have much room and these look like they would save a lot of space, and easy to change weights.

i was planning on getting some powerblocks and a chin up bar. then go to work on those suckers. they seem like a good idea but from what i am reading here, i am not so sure anymore.

i was planning on getting some powerblocks and a chin up bar. then go to work on those suckers. they seem like a good idea but from what i am reading here, i am not so sure anymore.

They seem good. An added benefit is that the elites (ones that can be upgraded up to 130 pounds) have two back handles (middle handle for one hand but bottom of block has two handles), so you have two grips for pull-overs or triceps exercises where you want to hold one dumbbell, with both hands.

I just have pre-buyer remorse , so I want opinions.

if space is the main issue, get the power blocks, but if it isnt, you are better off with a cage, bench and barbell. you will struggle to do challenging back and leg workouts with just dumbells, plus i think that if you ever change your goals for weightlifting (if bodybuilding is your thing now, you may want to try olympic lifting/strongman/powerlifting - it could happen! ) you will be limitted by getting powerblocks.

jonathan

PowerBlocks are good space savers. I'm biased because I do have buyer's remorse. I bought the Pro Rexan first set of 2.5lb to 45lb when I first started working out. I thought it was a good investment because you can expand up to 125lbs. But I didn't like the balance -- I'm sure that's just personal, though. I'm also bitter because they are what I'm stuck with since I don't have a gym membership right now.

I agree with Jonathan, if you are serious about working out at home then a rack and barbell are a better investment -- if you have the space and money, that is. If you have space and you like dumbbells -- I happen to like them – why not buy individual hexagon dumbbells? They are sold by the pound, and if you get them at the right price (maybe 50 cent/lb) they aren't that much more expensive than the PowerBlocks. You can always find them second hand as well.

But if you like adjustable dumbbells then the PowerBlocks might be perfect for you. For the set I have the magnetic weight pin is safe, but at 125lbs I just don't know? Give them a test drive and see what you think. If you like the balance of the handles and can make sense of how the weights change (Mine are handle 2.5, first weight 15, second weight 25, third weight is 35 with 2.5 adder weight in handle, and fourth weight is 45 with both 2.5 adder weights in handle. I don't understand how that works?) then go for it.

As for me, this weekend I'm going to start building some sandbags, and if all goes well I'll have weights up to 200lb for less than $50.

Daniel,

Do you feel the pin is secure and safe at the 50-90 pounds range?

With a barbell, I only bench around 160 pounds, so I doubt I will use more than 60 pounds, regularly, with future goal of 90 pounds.

For higher weight exercise, like squats, I will use a barbell that I already have, so on dangerous over head exercises (bench press, overhead press, pullover) with powerblock, I doubt I will even get to the 90 pounds but maybe.

The salesperson at the store where I would buy them, took the powerblocks and slung them around in his hand to show how secure the pin was. But that showmanship might be a gimmick.

Your thoughts?

i used to use dumbell handles like that but the collars used to constantly come unscrewed, mid set.

if space is the concern, then what about this:

http://gymratz.co.uk/weight-training-gym-equipment/item212.htm

if you arent too tall (and judging by your weight you arent) you can easily use this bar for any exercise. you would be sorted with 100-150kg of weight with it.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=10&pf%5Fid=Proform%5FG710%5FBench

this bench will easily accomodate a 5ft bar, and has the added gismos you said you were after in the other post.

i wouldnt worry about getting crushed or anything under the bar whilst benching - you can roll the bar down your belly and slide it off reasonably easily. or alternatively just dont go to failure.

jonathan

i used to use dumbell handles like that but the collars used to constantly come unscrewed, mid set.

Thanks. That is a good point. With that much force and wide threads, they probably loosen easily, as you found.

I will likely get a cage or squat station later and an Olympic barbell. Right now I have a standard bar, with up to 160 pounds total, threaded dumbbells and a cheap bench (I have used this set-up for almost ten years.) For a better system, I wanted to go with a Hoist bench (cheaper makes online but I can not try them before buying and I hate taking the risk that I will not like them just to save $50) and dumbbells, then get squat stand or full cage later, if I want to do barbell stuff again (can use my old bench in mean time for barbell stuff.)

On powerblock and safety:

I called Powerblock. I asked if they ever had any reported injuries from the Powerblock coming undone. The lady said, no.

She said the four magnets would have to fail and the pin push out, past the range of the elastic tether before the weights would come undone (pin must be fully removed.) I agreed that I would likely notice that happening before it was too late.

She added that during bench presses, over head presses and pullovers, etc. (the exercises and points where I would be most worried - i.e. weight over my head) the powerblocks are upside down and even if the pins were physically removed the weights would not fall because of the upside down position of the blocks at those points.

Her answer makes sense??

With Powerblocks, aren't your hands somewhat trapped inside the blocks when lifting? I thought that's what I remembered with them, and that kind of scared me. Every so often I need to bail out of a lift quickly, and I don't want my hands going along with the weight when I try to toss them aside....

I used to want a pair, but they seem to be a bit limiting in some aspects. That, and when I do DB benching and overhead pressing I tend to clank the DBs together, and I have this fear that it would release the weights and send them down on me. I guess it just boils down to the fact that those things freak me out!

That, and when I do DB benching and overhead pressing I tend to clank the DBs together, and I have this fear that it would release the weights and send them down on me. I guess it just boils down to the fact that those things freak me out!

True. You can not do that with them, as the manual warns that that could possibly make the pin come loose.

But you could gently touch them together, which might help promote better form (going slower versus faster.)

Unfortunately, attempts to be cautious for me when doing any sort of DB presses don't work out too well. I work to make every rep as fast as possilbe on the concentric part since that's what will develop strength the greatest - unless the weight is to where I can manage no more than 3-4 reps at most it just moves too fast for me to control how hard the DBs will come into contact with each other.

I guess it isn't a big issue for me since I won't be buying any Powerblocks but rather will acquire some good plate-loadable DBs once I have the room for them.