my routine - starting monday - let me know what you think

below is my 2 day split (wednesday being my day off in which i will do abs only) as well as my daily diet. i will be substituting comparable foods into the meals as not to get bored with what i eat. each work out session will be approximately half an hour. all weighted exercises will be done in sets of 10, 8, 6 while all non-weighted exercises will be done three sets until fail for each set.

i am open to all advice and suggestions.

holla.

the workout

day a

a.m. workout

barbell flat bench press

squat

barbell bent over row

reverse crunches

p.m. workout

incline dumbbell bench press

decline dumbbell bench press

dumbbell lunge

flat bench leg raises

day b

a.m. workout

lateral dumbbell raise

deadlift

close grip chin ups

side bridges

p.m. workout

military press

barbell bent-arm pullovers

seated dumbbell twists

dumbbell calf raises

the diet

6:30 a.m. - pre workout

1/4 cup of oatmeal w/ 3 tbs peanut butter

protein drink - 1 tbs brown rice powder, 2 cups rice milk

glutamine powder

multi vitamin

7:30 a.m. - post workout

20 oz of gatorade

protein drink - 2 tbs brown rice powder, 1 scoop split protein powder, 3 cups orange juice, 2 bananas

taurine supplement

9:30

small bowl of raisin bran and granola cereal

12:00

1/2 cup almonds

1/2 cup peanuts

fruit

2:00

salad - kidney beans, garbanzo beans, broccoli, 1/4 avocado, spinach

serving of carrots

4:30 - pre workout

whole wheat pasta & meatless meatballs

protein drink - 1 tbs brown rice powder, 2 cups rice milk

glutamine powder

6:00 - post workout

20 oz gatorade

protein drink - 2 tbs brown rice powder, 1 scoop split protein powder, 3 cups orange juice, 2 bananas

8:00

high protein mock meat meal

pan fried sweet potatoes with brown sugar

10:00 - bedtime

protein drink - hemp powder with soy milk

I wouldn't do lateral raises before the military press or any isolation exercise before a compound exercise that work the same muscle groups.

I would only do one supplemental chest pressing exercise on the same day as a BB bench press. If you BB bench and DB incline press heavy, I think that should be enough. I would drop the decline dumbbell press unless you are an advanced bodybuilder.

I wouldn't do lateral raises before the military press or any isolation exercise before a compound exercise that work the same muscle groups.

Should I do military press in the morning and lateral raises in the evening?

I would only do one supplemental chest pressing exercise on the same day as a BB bench press. If you BB bench and DB incline press heavy, I think that should be enough. I would drop the decline dumbbell press unless you are an advanced bodybuilder.

Yeah, I was considering dropping the decline dumbbell press. I was going to try it for a day or two and see how I liked it.

Would you be able to substitute the Gatorade for Coconut water? Fresh is better but prepackaged coconut water is better than gatorade for you. Zico is a really good tasting brand.

cinammon instead of brown sugar with the sweet potato but i'm sure you only do it sparingly and i bet you don't have an issue with extra cals judging by ur avatar.

I like the workout alot!

You also seem pretty determined and that's the most important thing

Would you be able to substitute the Gatorade for Coconut water? Fresh is better but prepackaged coconut water is better than gatorade for you. Zico is a really good tasting brand.

I was thinking the same exact thing! LOL....you can tell that we both are raw foodies

Gatorade is no good.

This is a summary of what happened, you can view an entire article here (http://thetruthnews.info/finishedaspartame.htm)

Charles Fleming, 37, played basketball every Sunday. On a hot summer day in June, 2000, Charles came home and drank a bottle of Gatorade that he and his wife Diane had just bought to mix with creatine, a food supplement.

Charles wanted to try creatine because it promised muscle mass.

This particular Sunday was the first time Charles ever drank Gatorade; the Flemings bought it particularly to mix with the creatine.

After drinking the Gatorade with the supplement, Fleming became ill and went to bed early. The next morning Fleming went to work but, feeling ill, went home. Fleming's condition deteriorated rapidly and he was taken to the hospital. During treatment, Fleming was given Ativan because he was combative and confused; from there, he slipped into a coma and died. The autopsy showed Charles Fleming died from 'acute methanol poisoning'

Looks good, but I'd replace the decline press with dips. I used to do AM and PM workouts but I'd just repeat a subset of the AM workouts in the afternoon. Worked well for a while but it was taking up too much time.

Gatorade is no good...Charles came home and drank a bottle of Gatorade that he and his wife Diane had just bought to mix with creatine, a food supplement...The autopsy showed Charles Fleming died from 'acute methanol poisoning'
I don't see how this is relevant. The methanol poisoning was allegedly from the aspartame in diet soda. Gatorade does not contain aspartame, there's no reason for it to--it's meant to replace salts and sugars in the body.

Gatorade is no good...Charles came home and drank a bottle of Gatorade that he and his wife Diane had just bought to mix with creatine, a food supplement...The autopsy showed Charles Fleming died from 'acute methanol poisoning'
I don't see how this is relevant. The methanol poisoning was allegedly from the aspartame in diet soda. Gatorade does not contain aspartame, there's no reason for it to--it's meant to replace salts and sugars in the body.

I believe that he was drinking diet gatorade which did contain aspartame. Regular gatorade is pretty high in calories (310 calories for 12oz.) I was just trying to emphasize that there are probably better options that are healthier.

Gatorade Ingredients

water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, ester gum, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, yellow 5

I think you should drop either the am or pm workouts. Doing those a and b workouts twice a week with two sessions a day is likely too much.

My opinion anyway.

My opinion too. With a thought out split you can get away with doing one a.m. and one p.m. workout but your routine doesn't fall under that category. Are you sure you posted it correctly? It would make more sense if the day 1 p.m. swtiched place with the day 2 p.m. and you had at least one whole day of rest in between. I'm not sure if I read your OP correctly but you say 2 day split and your off day is wednesday. Does that mean you're going to train 6 days a week? If so, think twice about it.

Your split seems to be thought out for a person on steroids, and I'm assuming you are not (correct me if I'm wrong).

I also second the comment about switching decline presses to dips. First of all because dips are one of the best excersises ever unless you have shoulder joints issues but also because decline presses can be dangerous. Having you head below you feet (blood rushing to your head) and pressing heavy ass weights is not a good idea. I've seen reports of blood clots happening due to that excersise.

Regarding your diet, it looks good to me in general. Mostly whole foods, it wouldn't hurt to go a bit higher with the veggies, specially leafy greens since you seem to lack a proper source of omega-3 fatty acids (more about this later). I'm not a big fan of too much protein powders, juices, energy drinks and mock meats because of health reasons but they are all great for bulking up (and some of them for cutting too). Switching the gatorade (which seems to be mostly sugar with some salts) for high carb fruits would def be a good choice in my opinion. Not sure what the nutritional values of coconut water is but maybe that's a good idea too. Sport drinks like gatorade and others are often just soft drinks with a sporty look. If it's expensive (sport drinks always is here) I see no reason for keeping it in your diet. Regarding the mock meat I just wanted to say that it's good you're using brown rice and hemp protein powders. Many people can make the mistake and use soy isolates while eating a diet filled with soy products and risk developing an allergy so keep doing that!

And now the omega 3s (n3)! Youy probably heard of them, they are essential fatty acids which means you need to get them in your diet since the body cannot produce them by itself. I would by some flax seed oil and just take maybe 1-2 tablespoon(s) per day. If you want to you can also check out the long chain (EPA and DHA) vegan ones at veganessentials.com or if you know another place to buy them. Most of the n3 supplements are made from fish but these are from algea.

Good luck, but seriously reconsider your workout routine!

I believe that he was drinking diet gatorade which did contain aspartame. Regular gatorade is pretty high in calories (310 calories for 12oz.) I was just trying to emphasize that there are probably better options that are healthier.
Diet Gatorade was introduced 7 years after that guy died. I'm not trying to say Gatorade is necessarily good for anyone, but it's not accurate to single out the gatorade or the creatine from that article, when it's the diet soda which supposedly could have caused the poisoning. I'm not even sure why they mentioned the gatorade.

Sorry for threadjack, xjonfastx.

4x4, could you talk a little about the philosophy behind that?

First, I don't understand your question. It's like asking why not do skull crushers before benching. Doing iso or assistive exercises before compound exercises, the "money lifts," will waste energy for the "money lifts." Assistive exercises are for strengthening weak points in your "money lifts;" deadlift, squat, OHP, bench.

Second, I think lateral raises are a waste of time PERIOD for strength training, except for doing rear delt raises to assist in increasing bench strength. Lateral raises are useful for bodybuilders trying to add definition, however the OP didn't mention whether or not he is lifting for strength or bodybuilding.

Third, OHP work the front and side delts. Lastly, every horizontal lat pulling exercise I can think of work the rear delts.

Compound exercises like the military press are a lot more demanding on your nervous system. You need to be accurate with it or you'll hurt yourself, so it makes sense to do it first before those nerves are fried. Lateral raises in particular you can be pretty sloppy about as you near exhaustion and not hurt yourself.

Diet Gatorade was introduced 7 years after that guy died. I'm not trying to say Gatorade is necessarily good for anyone, but it's not accurate to single out the gatorade or the creatine from that article, when it's the diet soda which supposedly could have caused the poisoning. I'm not even sure why they mentioned the gatorade.

Also, "For about a month prior to his death, Fleming had complained to his wife about shortness of breath and intermittent nausea. For years Fleming drank ten or more 12-ounce cans of diet soft drinks each day and each evening had 2-4 mixed drinks of bourbon and Diet Sprite. He drank very little water and never tea or coffee. while on his fitness regimen, he ate various protein health bars and took several pharmaceutical preparations including Prevacid, digestive antacid, Tetracycline (antibiotic), Naproxed (digestive anti-inflammatory ), a multivitamin with iron and Vancenase AQ, a nasal inhaler for allergies."

I think the lesson here is don't drink 120+ oz of diet soft drinks and 2-4 mixed drinks per day along with a variety of medications and supplements while not hydrating. This guy was a bomb waiting to go off.

you guys If this was my training log, My head would be twisting. So in all respect. He ask for open suggestions not an ego debate.

So if you're courteous I would end it here.

Sorry for posting this too xjohnfastx

As far as I'm concerned you're doing a good job, keep it up

PS Zack is the man

if you need any advice he's one of the guys to ask for.

My opinion too. With a thought out split you can get away with doing one a.m. and one p.m. workout but your routine doesn't fall under that category. Are you sure you posted it correctly? It would make more sense if the day 1 p.m. swtiched place with the day 2 p.m. and you had at least one whole day of rest in between. I'm not sure if I read your OP correctly but you say 2 day split and your off day is wednesday. Does that mean you're going to train 6 days a week? If so, think twice about it.

Your split seems to be thought out for a person on steroids, and I'm assuming you are not (correct me if I'm wrong).

Nah, definitely not on steroids. I just have a lot of energy, I guess. I like working out in the morning. Its a good way to start off the day and I feel great all day long. By the time I get home from work (about 5:15) I feel like I want to work out again. So I figured I would.

I also second the comment about switching decline presses to dips. First of all because dips are one of the best excersises ever unless you have shoulder joints issues but also because decline presses can be dangerous. Having you head below you feet (blood rushing to your head) and pressing heavy ass weights is not a good idea. I've seen reports of blood clots happening due to that excersise. !

I decided to drop the decline presses and do pushups instead.