I believe that he was drinking diet gatorade which did contain aspartame. Regular gatorade is pretty high in calories (310 calories for 12oz.) I was just trying to emphasize that there are probably better options that are healthier.
Diet Gatorade was introduced 7 years after that guy died. I'm not trying to say Gatorade is necessarily good for anyone, but it's not accurate to single out the gatorade or the creatine from that article, when it's the diet soda which supposedly could have caused the poisoning. I'm not even sure why they mentioned the gatorade.
Also, "For about a month prior to his death, Fleming had complained to his wife about shortness of breath and intermittent nausea. For years Fleming drank ten or more 12-ounce cans of diet soft drinks each day and each evening had 2-4 mixed drinks of bourbon and Diet Sprite. He drank very little water and never tea or coffee. while on his fitness regimen, he ate various protein health bars and took several pharmaceutical preparations including Prevacid, digestive antacid, Tetracycline (antibiotic), Naproxed (digestive anti-inflammatory ), a multivitamin with iron and Vancenase AQ, a nasal inhaler for allergies."
I think the lesson here is don't drink 120+ oz of diet soft drinks and 2-4 mixed drinks per day along with a variety of medications and supplements while not hydrating. This guy was a bomb waiting to go off.