Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: chewybaws stronglifts log
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:27 am 
Elephant

Mon 22nd April 09
-----------------
Squats 35kg 5x5 (these were messy today)
Bench press 27.5kg 5x5 (if I didn't think my technique needed work I'd increase these by 5kg each workout, I was only taking about 20s break between them)
Inverted rows - 8 failing to get right to the bar :? So on my knees - 15, 13, then 11
Push ups (weighted +5kg) - 10, 6, 3 (then 2 non-weighted, and 4 on knees)
Reverse Crunches 3x12 (with less of a counter weight....the last rep BURNED)

This morning I was really tired, got fuck all sleep over the weekend and was working all of it. Thought workout was going to be terrible, but it was okay - not good by any standards but better than I thought it'd be. Got my rucksack on for the pushups with a 5kg plate :) however my form sucked, towards the end of each set I could feel myself turning into a banana.

My elbow wasn't bugging me as much today, however I've had a blocked ear since friday which is REALLY ANNOYING.

Here's a picture of me today in my SuperChopsy t-shirt my girlfriend got me ages ago, unfortunately the logo came off in the wash
I figure as I grow muscles the logo will gradually fade back in :lol:

I gotta lot of work to do! Looking forward to wednesday's workout

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:54 am 
Site Admin

Keep up the great work!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:55 am 
Elephant

robert wrote:
Keep up the great work!

Cheers Robert!

Todays workout was some good, some bad. I think today's workout was the most I've sweated in my life haha.

Wed 24th June 09 Weight = 158lbs
-----------------------------------
Squats 37.5kg 5x5
Overhead Press 27.5kg 5x5
Deadlift 55kg 1x5
Chin-ups 6, 5 then 3 (then done 10 negatives. wasn't happy with these today, didn't improve on my first set)
Prone Bridges 3x45s (shaking each knee for 15s this time - was 10s last time. i have no idea how i managed the last set. I couldn't breathe for the last 5 seconds)

I'm having real problems with the Deadlift. The highest plates I have are 15kg, so the bar sits too low. Up till now i've been putting the weights on pillows/folded duvet to make up the height. Of course now it's getting to heavy and rolling off. So today I tried sitting it on books and the weights rolled off in one instance.

My hip flexibility is quite bad, I need the bar higher otherwise I can't grip the bar without either rounding my back, lowering my hips or dropping my shins to the bar prematurely. The lowest peg on my power rack is still to high (bar sits just below my knees).

I need to get this sorted out before I do them again on Monday!

Haven't mentionned nutrition in a while. My eating was bad over the weekend, lost 1lb, but I've made it back up now. By Monday I'm hoping to be over 160lbs :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:39 am 
Stegosaurus

I have really poor hip flexibility as well. It sucks. I've been doing stretches and it's sloooowwwly improving, but it's taking a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:47 am 
Rabbit

chewybaws wrote:
My hip flexibility is quite bad, I need the bar higher otherwise I can't grip the bar without either rounding my back, lowering my hips or dropping my shins to the bar prematurely. The lowest peg on my power rack is still to high (bar sits just below my knees).

What do you mean by "dropping my shins to the bar prematurely"?

Lowering the hips doesn't sound like such a bad idea either. Are you sure this is a flexibility issue?

Is there no gym you can go to? I'm always sceptical of people trying to make progress in their house. I'm not saying it's impossible, but in my experience it is rare.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:37 am 
Elephant

el_flaco wrote:
chewybaws wrote:

What do you mean by "dropping my shins to the bar prematurely"?

Lowering the hips doesn't sound like such a bad idea either. Are you sure this is a flexibility issue?

Is there no gym you can go to? I'm always sceptical of people trying to make progress in their house. I'm not saying it's impossible, but in my experience it is rare.

Ah bawsacks. I learned how to do deadlifts watching the Starting Strength DVD, says to get your grip before dropping shins (which is what I meant), and not to drop your hips while doing so. This is why I assumed it was a flexibility problem, because i couldn't grip the bar without squatting down a wee bit (or completely arching my back).

Been looking about online, seems these aren't really issues though. I'm going to go now and practice with a low weight. Cheers for the questions man, should be sorted now.

To be honest I haven't checked out gyms at all, there's a few in town which I doubt any let you deadlift anyway. I don't drive so I can't get to any further out.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can sit the weights on to prop the bar up by 10cm (i looked online the other day for 20kg plates, seem expensive)?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:32 am 
Rabbit

chewybaws wrote:
Ah bawsacks. I learned how to do deadlifts watching the Starting Strength DVD, says to get your grip before dropping shins (which is what I meant), and not to drop your hips while doing so. This is why I assumed it was a flexibility problem, because i couldn't grip the bar without squatting down a wee bit (or completely arching my back).

Ah I get what you mean, I've seen clips where he goes through that setup. It's not bad advice, I think Rippetoe is pretty astute, but it's just his way of arriving at a decent starting position for the deadlift. If the bar is lower feel free to bend your knees or arch your back a bit to reach it.

Is the DVD good?

You might be surprised by the gyms. I've trained in uni gyms, commercial chains (Bannatyes, Fitness First), council-run gyms, converted industrial units and I'm currently training in what I reckon has to be the poshest gym in London. I've managed to get a decent deadlift workout in all of them, as long as they have a free weights section.

I'd have a look. Once you nail the technique on deadlift you'll be needing some pretty heavy weights, it's a big exercise. Catering for that in your house is going to get expensive pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:02 am 
Elephant

el_flaco wrote:
You might be surprised by the gyms. I've trained in uni gyms, commercial chains (Bannatyes, Fitness First), council-run gyms, converted industrial units and I'm currently training in what I reckon has to be the poshest gym in London. I've managed to get a decent deadlift workout in all of them, as long as they have a free weights section.

I'd have a look. Once you nail the technique on deadlift you'll be needing some pretty heavy weights, it's a big exercise. Catering for that in your house is going to get expensive pretty quickly.

Yeah you're right. We have a Fitness First in Kilmarnock. Something I forgot about actually, there's a weightlifting club here with beginner classes for £1 (need to book in advance)...that may be perfect for me.

And yeah, plates cost more than I though they would :shock: I have a 105kg barbell set at the moment. I'm gonna need something to protect the floor as well.

The DVD is actually really good (not surprised at that), but as you were getting at, would be no match for someone coaching you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:20 am 
Rabbit

£1 is a bargain!

It's not just the coaching, as not all gyms will look to coach you. A couple of other things:

You'll have access to better equipment.
Gyms can be a really nice place to hang out, especially once you meet a few people. That helps keep you motivated.
You see people lifting heavier weights, which helps get rid of some of the mystique (the internet has helped with that though, you can see massive weights shifted on youtube).
If you're doing anything really stupid, someone will probably question it :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:24 am 
Elephant

el_flaco wrote:
If you're doing anything really stupid, someone will probably question it :D

Haha unfortunately I've got plenty more where that comes from :oops:

Cheers for your help man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:08 am 
Elephant

Fri 26th June 2009
------------------
Squats 40kg 5x5
Bench Press 30kg 5x5
Inverted rows 10 (raised the bar today, chest is getting closer to touching the bar), 6 (then 7 with feet flat), 3 (then 4 with feet flat)
Push Ups (+7.5kg) 3x5 (then 5 normal, 5 on knees)
Reverse crunches 3x12 (reduced the counter-weight again)

It felt like I ripped half the skin off my arms/shoulders trying to get the weighted backpack on/off :( Have loosened the straps now. Will wear a t-shirt next time too.
Not much to say about today. My elbow isn't bothering me very much now, however my ear is killing me, gonna have to go to the doctors on monday. And as the pollen count rises here my hayfever's starting to piss me off. Puffy eyes, runny nose is starting, itchy mouth (yes, itchy mouth).

And everytime I blow my nose it sends a shockwave through my sore ear. yayyyy -_-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:32 am 
Elephant

Mon 29th June 2009 Weight=158.8lbs
--------------------
Squats 42.5kg 5x5
Overhead Press 30kg 5x5
Deadlift 60kg 1x5
Pull ups 2 :( (then 2 chins), 0 (then 3 chins), (4 chins), 10 pull up negatives
Prone bridge 3x55s (was kicking each knee for 20s)

Powered through the squats taking little rest. Struggled with overhead press but managed somehow. Deadlift was fine for once! Took el_flacos advice and didn't bother trying to raise bar, just squatted a bit more dropped hips a tiny bit.

Pull ups were a fucking nightmare. Prob because it's always about 10 days between me doing them on stronglifts. I need to find a way to get extra practice that won't interfere with other workouts. My chins sucked inbetween too (prob cause i was really pushing to get the extra pullups).

Happy with the prone bridges today, they killed me but I managed; I was punishing myself for the pullups.

I hate weekends at work. My eating's always terrible when I'm there, just can't get enough calories in. There's fuck all food in the house today as well just eating whatever's there :psycho:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:38 am 
Manatee

Everything is looking good chewy!

Don't get discouraged about the chin/pull-ups. They're a hard exercise and it takes time and effort to progress. I know big strong guys who can't do more than a couple of pull-ups, so it's all about sticking to em'.

I used to get ear infections all the time as a kid and it sucks! Hope you well soon man!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:38 am 
Elephant

Wed 1st July 2009
------------------
Squats 45kg 5x5
Bench Press 32.5kg 5x5
Inverted Rows (Getting close to that bar! :) ) 10, 7 (5 with feet flat), 3, (then 7 with feet flat)
Push ups +10kg 5, 5, 4 (for the life of me i couldn't get that last rep), then 2 normal push-ups and 6 on knees
Reverse Crunch 3x12 (corrected my technique today. before my knees were at a 90 degree angle, when they should be as flexed as possible. so used more counter weight this week)

Powered through Squats/bench press with little rest. Inverted rows are slowly improving. Even though I didn't make 3x5 for the weighted push-ups got a good pump off them. Will try 10kg again on monday. Relatively pleased with todays workout

xCx wrote:
I used to get ear infections all the time as a kid and it sucks! Hope you well soon man!

Cheers C, it seems to be clearing up. The pain stopped on Saturday, feels like it's starting to soften up there. Should be able to hear again soon, would be nice lol.
It only really bugs me at work just now because you can't hear anyone half the time, it's amazing how aggressive people start to get when you can't hear them and they have to repeat themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:54 pm 
Elephant

Fri 3rd July 2009
----------------
Squats 47.5kg 5x5
OH Press 32.5kg 5, 4, 3, 2, 4 FAIL
Deadlift 65kg 1x5
Chin ups 6, 5, 3 (10 -ves) - no improvement (i am heavier now though :lol: )
Prone Bridges 60s (kicking each knee for 20s), 2x30s (kicking 1 knee for 20s) - i just collapsed on the last 2 sets, was aiming for 3x60s

How the hell did I get 4 on the last set of press?? They suddenly seemed easier, but then I couldn't make it till 5. My technique must be inconsistent.

Although press and bridges were terrible, i worked up a serious sweat today so I'm not too bummed. The deadlift requires effort now, as it should. Looking forward to monday.

PS. Damn ear still isn't unblocked, been absolutely no pain in a week though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 83  Next