Precontest 2009

K, I am starting a journal, so I can learn more about being the best vegan bodybuilder I can be and being able to dispel the myths that I fell into as well about living that lifestyle. I am posting pictures tonight when I get home and I am about 14 weeks out. As of now, I am taking a lot of Mannatech products, not only are we vested in the company but we have about 6500$ worth of supplements to try. Recovery, health, immune, GI fat loss etc. I will also give you guys a detailed report of my workouts and nutrition intake. Any feedback and knowledge is grateful. I am very knowledgable about nutrition, but I am a newbie to the whole vegan lifestyle. I've been having a great time learning about it though

JENN

Workout was pretty good, I taught my kickboxing class for an hr this morning and then 30 min on the elliptical trainer.

Weights consisted of a little lighter since I'm getting back into it.

Incline DB press 40lbs 2 sets

Low Row on duel cables 80lbs 2 sets

pullovers 50lbs 2 sets

flys on unilateral machine 40lbs 2 sets

Diet was

7a 1 egg 6 egg whites

iced coffee homemade/non dairy creamer

10:15a 1oz pumpkin seeds

1oz sunflower seeds

1 large banana

12:30p rice and veggies(it did have turkey pieces)

4:00p french lentils with green beans 1-1/2 cup total

6:30p Osolean protein with 12 oz OJ

7:30p seitan with 2 cups stirfry veggies

calories 1553

protein 107

carbs 196

fat 45

what would be the biggest thing i need to change?

Yes I realize the turkey was in the food, I'm still trying to make a full transition. I definately don't miss meat, but I honestly don't want to give up my eggs. I enjoy them and I buy them from a local person who treats their chickens very well. I don't buy the store bought eggs. We now have tempeh and seitan, so the turkey shouldn't be a problem.

perhaps there is a replacement for the egg whites but keep the egg for now. then you would be closer to vegan. As the egg whites dont really have a taste to them. Transititoning can be difficult, and finding something that tastes similiar, but is vegan to egg can be difficult. I was not a big egg person so for me I have not had to face the replacing of eggs

Good job so far in transitioning.

Got a late start on breakfast, got up late. Mad because I ate too much yesterday. I had my fill of salad and quinoa yesterday

My workout consists of upper body today, I enjoy the upper/lower split because I need to keep my balance and keep my legs conditioned for certain classes.

Incline DB press 50lbs

Flat bench flys 45lbs

neutral pullups (assisted) 50lbs

1 armed row 60lbs

upright rows 90lbs

Z curls 25lbs

front/side lateral raise 20lbs

incline curls 20lbs

weighted dips 35lbs

french press 50lbs

cardio 30min on stairmill 20min biking

Diet today

1737 calories

51 fat 222 carbs 112 protein

oatmeal 1 cup

1/4 cup soymilk

1/2oz sunflower seeds

1oz pepitas

1 cup grapes

1 scoop Osolean

1 med banana

1 cup quinoa/pine nuts

4oz tempeh

1 scoop Osolean

Yes I realize the turkey was in the food, I'm still trying to make a full transition. I definately don't miss meat, but I honestly don't want to give up my eggs. I enjoy them and I buy them from a local person who treats their chickens very well. I don't buy the store bought eggs. We now have tempeh and seitan, so the turkey shouldn't be a problem.

I am not trying to be an ass or something but why are you on a vegan board if you don't wanna give up eggs? Except from that your routine and diet seems solid.

If the chickens are treated well I don't see the problem really. Veganism is a filosophy for me..not a list of what you can and can't eat.

Chickens in the wild would be picked off my all kinds of predators..if you protect them and give them a good life its a natural kind of symbiosis in my opinion.

When I was living in the middle of nowhere, I found a farm which had the chickens running round and jumping in the pond etc. and I was considering eating eggs from those chickens. However, when I got talking to the dude, I found out that they were eventually slaughtered when they stopped producing eggs...so obviously, i passed on the eggs.

That said, i used to live in this hippy type commune where the animals were cared for in retirment until they met a natural death.

If this were the case, I don't really understant the anti-speciesist argument against eating eggs.

Personally, after so many years without eggs now they gross me out, but there are some circumstances where i think someone could eat eggs and STILL call themselves a vegan in the true sense of the word.

Thanks Ruz for backing me up. I know there are all sorts of vegetarians etc. If only been doing this for a little over a month. Until I fully understand where all my protein will be coming from I'll be using eggs as a back up. You have to understand, I've gone years with crap loads of chicken, tuna, eggs, steak and so on. That's all I knew in the bodybuilding community since I was 15. NPX I would think it would be respectful of me to allow me time to get this down. This will be the FIRST contest I'm doing in a vegan manner and quite frankly I'm a little nervous about dialing it in. I truly do not believe there is anything wrong with supporting free range organic eggs, hell they are so fresh they still have doo doo on them. She is a very caring person and I wouldn't buy them if I thought they were mistreated.

Hey fizeek;

Good luck with your challenge and your decision to move to a more vegetarian lifestyle.

Just to explain, I think the biggest reason that some Vegans get there feathers a bit ruffled is not that you eat eggs or that you post on a Vegan board... but its more that eating eggs would make you a Vegetarian and not a Vegan; and there's nothing wrong with that at all... again, so great that your taking the first step on MOVING TOWARD a Vegan diet, and we're here to support you in that.

But if you were to advertise yourself or market yourself as someone who competed on a "Vegan Diet" that would not be correct because a Vegan diet is one that consists of no animal products of any kind. No Whey, no eggs, no dairy, nothing that comes from an animal whatsoever.

There are competitors here that have competed in figure competitions and bodybuilding competitions on a completely Vegan diet and for some IT'S TOUGH, but they manage But you're probably going about it the best way for you, which is to start small and gradually take the non-Vegan foods out that are remaining in your diet. Or not... then you would be a Vegetarian competitor, and that's great too!

Either way... good luck, and we'll be following your progress

Sorry I can't agree with that definition..that if you eat eggs you are vegeterian!

I'm not really into rules and specially ones placed on you by society and now we have the vegan "egg" or "honey" rule.

THIS IS STUPID!!

The BIG difference..well I mean HUGE difference between a vegeterian and a vegan in my opinion..is that a vegeterian is still a sepciesist and has these values in mind when chosing their foods. They feel superior to other animals and feel it as their right to use animals purely for their own benefit to a certain degree..where they draw the line at is death. So basically its alright for a dairy cow to be tied up to machines all day, suffering and alone, because the vegeterian will still drink her milk. However, when the dairy cow is slaughtered that is the point when the veggie stops abusing it.

A vegan doesn't feel this superiority or inate right to use and abuse other animals just because he can..and choses not to, and his diet reflects that.

So...while we are on the subject..give me one moral reason AGAINST eating the eggs of truly freerange chickens because I can't see one!

I'm not vegan because I follow a set of rules..I'm vegan becauseI never get involved in the exploitation or suffering of our brother and sister animals..and indeed actively try to stop it! But what pisses me off is this closed minded acceptance of "vegans don't eat eggs".without any further thought as to why.

Also, people speak about veganism as if it were a difficult choice for bodybuilders..as though all the veggies and meat eaters had some advantage on us..and so they see it as "unfair" of someone who eats eggs competes against someone who doesn't!

This is just bullshit..its just as hard for vegans to build muscles as everyone else, once you know what you have to eat...and that's it. So no excuses if you are small and weedy..don't blame it on your food!!! The size differences between carniverous athletes and vegans has little to do with diet and more to do with the fact that most non-vegan bodybuilders..well to be precise..ALL of my friends who eat meat and train..have taken or do take steroids.

I get quite annoyed when people whine on about how they don't want to be compared to vegeterian bodybuilders or those who eat meat, and then turn around and say their diet is just as good! Uff! Bit of a double standard i feel. Our diet is JUST as good and clearly, we don't need eggs, but i don't see the problem with this guy eating them in these circumstances!

Yes..in my opinion you can eat eggs, and indeed honey, in some very unusual circumstances and still be vegan. I know not many of you will agree with me, but really, in the true essence of the word, the true meaning of vegan...I'm right!

Ok..I didn't ask you to send me links..I've seen all the literature thanks..I've been vegan for many years now!

I just asked YOU to give me a valid moral reason why he couldn't eat eggs in these circumstances. I'd love it if you could come up with one because i've had this same converstion MANY times with my hardcore activist group..and none of them can give a valid reason. The one thing we all agreed on however, is that veganism comes from within and not without. It's the feeling inside which makes you a vegan, not whether or not you follow the "rules" of being a vegan as defined by wikepedia!!

I would hate to use wikepedia define what i am!!

I'm not trying to piss anyone off here its just i think its stupid to let a dictionary definition mould your whole life when it should be the vegan ethic you have inside which defines your diet and lifestyle for you.

Ok..I didn't ask you to send me links..I've seen all the literature thanks..I've been vegan for many years now!

I just asked YOU to give me a valid moral reason why he couldn't eat eggs in these circumstances. I'd love it if you could come up with one because i've had this same converstion MANY times with my hardcore activist group..and none of them can give a valid reason. The one thing we all agreed on however, is that veganism comes from within and not without. It's the feeling inside which makes you a vegan, not whether or not you follow the "rules" of being a vegan as defined by wikepedia!!

I would hate to use wikepedia define what i am!!

I'm not trying to piss anyone off here its just i think its stupid to let a dictionary definition mould your whole life when it should be the vegan ethic you have inside which defines your diet and lifestyle for you.

Because I don't discuss the moral part of it, I only say that eating egg is not vegan. If you want to make your own "theory" of what a vegan is or not it's up to you. I am only saying that eating egg is not a part of most vegan lifestyles (except yours then).

But I think we can move this discussion instead of ruin the training log. Start a subject in the general discussion that egg is vegan and we can go on from there I will be quiet in this thread from now.

I don't eat eggs..they gross me out and I don't like the bacterias they contain.

I'm also not into acting in a way some dictionary tells me to!

I am an anti.speciesist and that's it..perhaps I prefer the moral definition to the media created one of what a vegan SHOULD be.

Anyone who deosn't hurt or exploit non-human animals in any way shape or form is a vegan in my mind

I don't like getting into "how vegan" someone actually is cause it'll open up a whole can of worms and its not a competition. For example, i would think of someone as "more" vegan who kept chickens, ate their eggs and was an active protester for animal rights than sommeone who stuck rigidly to the "dictionary" definition of a vegan as regards their diet, and then did little or nothing to spread the vegan message or to promote animal welfare.

But like I said, it's not a competition and we all have our own understanding of what a vegan should be.

Peace.

I had a really good upper body workout yesterday, but I was really upset because I've lost a lot of strength. I started with the weights mentioned but had to back down. Legs today and some more ab work besides the class I teach.

15min jump roping

2 racewalking laps 2/10of a mile

30min stationary biking

Leg press 360lbs

walking lunge around track 12.5lbs

leg ext 70lbs

stiff leg deadlift 80-90lbs

standing calf raise 90lbs

side lunge no weight

Diet is still good, just need to keep myself from eating grapenuts at night LOL

Breakfast 1cup oatmeal

1/4 cup soy

snack 1/2 cup grapes

sunflower seeds/pumpkin seed mix

lunch 1cup quinoa with pine nuts

snack 1 med banana

2 scoops Osolean

12oz soy milk

dinner 4oz tempeh

2-1/2 cups stirfry vegetables(no sauce)

I will finish my post later

I had a really good upper body workout yesterday, but I was really upset because I've lost a lot of strength. I started with the weights mentioned but had to back down.

eh people's stength changes from day to day. Just as long as you have a good workout.

Had a pretty good leg workout yesterday, weights varied a little from what I wrote, but the exercises were the same. My foot is sore from the metatarsal I broke about 4-1/2 yrs ago. Probably from the race walking. I did yoga for an hr this morning. I'll be doing 30 min on the stair mill on my lunch break and then teaching an hr weight training class. I'll see how tired I am before I decide to do more cardio this evening

Well, I have yet to post pics, I need to but I am honestly just not working hard enough to lose any weight. Diet is good. My husband made salmon on the grill last night while I cooked an array of veggies. His parents are in town and they said they eat vegetarian about 3x per week. I tried to eat the salmon and it had such a pungent fish taste and smell, I couldn't eat it. Mind you, I have a family to cook for and they are not vegan even though they don't mind eating some of the things. Everyone else thought it tasted fine and my hubby didn't take offense to it. My daughter who is 11 doesn't quite understand why I'm wanting to give up meat so she questions my decisions. I try to get her to understand but I told her this is something that makes me feel better about myself as well. I will still fix meat for the kids because that's what they want, but I don't miss it.

. My daughter who is 11 doesn't quite understand why I'm wanting to give up meat so she questions my decisions. I try to get her to understand but I told her this is something that makes me feel better about myself as well.

Tell her you want her to have a posibility of living to be thirty, and meat consumption is the number one cause of global warming. The meat farming industry has practically destroyed all the worlds natural resources and is responsible for half the world going hungry..I'm sure she'll understand that! I think its important that we are honest about just how bleak the future is and tell it like it is. Really, unless global meat production is radically cut within the next 5 years, well we will all be fucked..sad but true! Its important that we are honest and clear with young people about what is going on in the world because they are the ones who are going to have to deal with most of the shit and they are the ones who can make or break it. We're living in delicate times and it breaks my heart and angers me immensley to see the crap we have left to our children, the complete and utter mess!

As a teacher that's what I tell my young students...my older students get to watch "earthlings" which makes the point better than I ever could (though I've recieved a formal warning for this so maybe I'll have to change my tactics)

As a mother, well I was vegan before I had my daughter so it was never really an issue. She was always grossed out by the thought of eating animals, as are most people who have never had it presented to them as the "normal" thjing to do! I remember when she was really little and she saw them milking a cow..she didn't realise that it was a cows tit, not down there between the cows legs..she literally screamed! It was so funny!!

By the way..nice to see another mum on the forum