Skinny 21 y/o vegan gaining weight and needing a little help

I'm no expert but I can tell you what has helped me to gain over 20 kg / 45 lb in one year.

- High protein, moderate-high calorie diet. I weigh about 91 kg / 200 lb now and take in around 200 g protein & around 3500 calories

- Lots of water

- Heavy compound lifting

- Lots of sleep & adequate rest between workouts - usually one day but sometimes two days

- Consistency is very important

I'm sure this isn't the only way but it works for me.

Hey Jay glad to hear about your treadmill and benching progress I would start gradually increasing your food intake so that by the time you join the gym your body will be used to the amount. If you're looking to increase mass you'll need to eat eat EAT

I didn't start to notice changes before eating ridiculously big. Never really added weight before. Started aiming for 3500-4000kcal (getting about 150g protein in process) and I'm steadily adding weight now it's working

Try it out, you're not going to drop dead or turn obese overnight

Good1Use.gif.6f9f2e77a442343c5166f1959e8db143.gif

For starters, your not skinny. At 5-10 and 130 lbs your body mass index is just in the healthy range. Remember that overweight and obese people are a substantial majority in the US (60% plus) so healthy weight people look odd. 2 to 3 half hour sessions a week in the weight room, consistently, would probably give you a very solid physique. Ellington Darden Phd (exercise physiology and Mr Texas 1969) has a book out called "The New High Intensity Training." He's actually written over 20 body building books in his long career. Read it and you'll learn a fast easy way to slab some muscle on your promising body.

And BTW, Dr Darden specifically states in his book that there is no evidence showing that protein contributes to building muscle and he does not recommend taking supplemental protein. There is a lot of evidence protein causes long term health problems like osteoporosis, arthritis, cancer, and so on. You can build a very solid physique eating well below 10% of your calories a day from protein-I'm 160 lbs and eat only about 25 grams of protein a day. I'm attaching my pic so you can see that protein is irrelevant. Work heavy in the weight room with as much intensity as you can muster-but always excellent form for safety.

I'm no expert but I can tell you what has helped me to gain over 20 kg / 45 lb in one year.

- High protein, moderate-high calorie diet. I weigh about 91 kg / 200 lb now and take in around 200 g protein & around 3500 calories

- Lots of water

- Heavy compound lifting

- Lots of sleep & adequate rest between workouts - usually one day but sometimes two days

- Consistency is very important

This is spot on.

I'm sure this isn't the only way but it works for me.

I've never heard of anyone gaining mass WITHOUT eating a lot, doing heavy compound lifting, getting lots of sleep, etc. So I'm fairly confident in saying it IS the only way. The only thing we're "missing" here is chemical enhancement/supplementation, but there is no need for this at his stage anyhow. I know I just made some more people cringe here, but this is a bodybuilding forum after all.

[attachment=0]Good1Use.gif[/attachment]

And BTW, Dr Darden specifically states in his book that there is no evidence showing that protein contributes to building muscle and he does not recommend taking supplemental protein.

Well just lol...........

and the picture is even more............