Chewy's Strength Log

Fri 26th June 2009

------------------

Squats 40kg 5x5

Bench Press 30kg 5x5

Inverted rows 10 (raised the bar today, chest is getting closer to touching the bar), 6 (then 7 with feet flat), 3 (then 4 with feet flat)

Push Ups (+7.5kg) 3x5 (then 5 normal, 5 on knees)

Reverse crunches 3x12 (reduced the counter-weight again)

It felt like I ripped half the skin off my arms/shoulders trying to get the weighted backpack on/off Have loosened the straps now. Will wear a t-shirt next time too.

Not much to say about today. My elbow isn't bothering me very much now, however my ear is killing me, gonna have to go to the doctors on monday. And as the pollen count rises here my hayfever's starting to piss me off. Puffy eyes, runny nose is starting, itchy mouth (yes, itchy mouth).

And everytime I blow my nose it sends a shockwave through my sore ear. yayyyy -_-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mon 29th June 2009 Weight=158.8lbs

--------------------

Squats 42.5kg 5x5

Overhead Press 30kg 5x5

Deadlift 60kg 1x5

Pull ups 2 (then 2 chins), 0 (then 3 chins), (4 chins), 10 pull up negatives

Prone bridge 3x55s (was kicking each knee for 20s)

Powered through the squats taking little rest. Struggled with overhead press but managed somehow. Deadlift was fine for once! Took el_flacos advice and didn't bother trying to raise bar, just squatted a bit more dropped hips a tiny bit.

Pull ups were a fucking nightmare. Prob because it's always about 10 days between me doing them on stronglifts. I need to find a way to get extra practice that won't interfere with other workouts. My chins sucked inbetween too (prob cause i was really pushing to get the extra pullups).

Happy with the prone bridges today, they killed me but I managed; I was punishing myself for the pullups.

I hate weekends at work. My eating's always terrible when I'm there, just can't get enough calories in. There's fuck all food in the house today as well just eating whatever's there

Everything is looking good chewy!

Don't get discouraged about the chin/pull-ups. They're a hard exercise and it takes time and effort to progress. I know big strong guys who can't do more than a couple of pull-ups, so it's all about sticking to em'.

I used to get ear infections all the time as a kid and it sucks! Hope you well soon man!

Wed 1st July 2009

------------------

Squats 45kg 5x5

Bench Press 32.5kg 5x5

Inverted Rows (Getting close to that bar! ) 10, 7 (5 with feet flat), 3, (then 7 with feet flat)

Push ups +10kg 5, 5, 4 (for the life of me i couldn't get that last rep), then 2 normal push-ups and 6 on knees

Reverse Crunch 3x12 (corrected my technique today. before my knees were at a 90 degree angle, when they should be as flexed as possible. so used more counter weight this week)

Powered through Squats/bench press with little rest. Inverted rows are slowly improving. Even though I didn't make 3x5 for the weighted push-ups got a good pump off them. Will try 10kg again on monday. Relatively pleased with todays workout

I used to get ear infections all the time as a kid and it sucks! Hope you well soon man!

Cheers C, it seems to be clearing up. The pain stopped on Saturday, feels like it's starting to soften up there. Should be able to hear again soon, would be nice lol.

It only really bugs me at work just now because you can't hear anyone half the time, it's amazing how aggressive people start to get when you can't hear them and they have to repeat themselves.

Fri 3rd July 2009

----------------

Squats 47.5kg 5x5

OH Press 32.5kg 5, 4, 3, 2, 4 FAIL

Deadlift 65kg 1x5

Chin ups 6, 5, 3 (10 -ves) - no improvement (i am heavier now though )

Prone Bridges 60s (kicking each knee for 20s), 2x30s (kicking 1 knee for 20s) - i just collapsed on the last 2 sets, was aiming for 3x60s

How the hell did I get 4 on the last set of press?? They suddenly seemed easier, but then I couldn't make it till 5. My technique must be inconsistent.

Although press and bridges were terrible, i worked up a serious sweat today so I'm not too bummed. The deadlift requires effort now, as it should. Looking forward to monday.

PS. Damn ear still isn't unblocked, been absolutely no pain in a week though.

Mon 6th July 2009 W=161.2lbs

-------------------

Squats 50kg 5x5

Bench Press 35kg 5x5

Inverted Rows 12, 4 (then 3 with feet flat), 4 (then 4 with feet flat)

Push-ups +10kg (2nd attempt) 5, 5, 6 (4 normal, 4 on knees)

Reverse Crunches 3x12 (7.5kg counter weight)

Really happy with push-ups today, didn't make the 10kg last wednesday, but owned it today. Reverse crunches are good now my technique is getting sorted.

Been really warm for Scotland the last week or 2, but today was cooler which was good. Good workout today

Wed 3rd July 2009

----------------

Squats 52.5kg 5x5

OH Press 32.5kg 3x5, 4, 2 (Bastaaaaard - 2nd fail)

Deadlift 70kg 1x5

Pull ups 3 , 2 (then 3 half reps), 0 (i so nearly made 1 haha...done 3 half reps then 10 negatives)

Prone Bridges 3x60s (kicking knees for 20s each)

Couldn't believe I fucked the OH press again at 32.5kg

Getting close though. The last set on the 3rd rep I nearly made it but lifted my heel to get my elbows locked, so no good. I was in a terrible mood after this lol, deadlifts cheered me up.

First time doing 3 pull ups in a set Before I'd do chin-ups afterwards, then pull-up negatives. Instead of the chins today I done pull up half reps where I'd jump up half way and pull up the rest, then do the negative - will do this from now on, will hopefully build pull up strength more.

Soooooo happy with prone bridges after a miserable fail last friday. Will attempt an extra 5s on monday.

I fucked up the date in my last post, it should be wed 8th July....anway

Fri 10th July 2009

------------------

Squats 55kg 5x5

Bench Press 37.5kg 5x5

Inverted Rows 12, 6 (6 flat feet), 3 (then 4 flat feet)

Push ups +11.25kg 3x5 (3 normal, 5 knees)

Reverse Crunches 3x12 (6kg counter)

Decent workout, improved on everything. Form was a bit shit on the last couple of push ups but at least I got them.

Mon 13th July 2009 W=164.4lbs

-------------------

Squats 57.5kg 5x5

OH Press 32.5kg 4x5, 4 (AAHHHHH!!!! 1 frickin rep short)

Deadlift 75kg 1x5

Chin-ups 6, 3, 3 (then 10 half reps - jump start)

Prone bridge 3x60s (kicking each knee for 20s during)

(Think I'll colour code now - green for meeting target (or improvement), red for not meeting target (or less reps for bodyweight exercises), black for no improvement)

Squats were fun, really struggled on the 4th set.

What can I say about the press; 3rd fail @32.5kg. Only 1 rep short, will get it next time.

Deadlift was hard but good.

Chins were shit. I done 2 more last time.

Prone bridges, no improvement but still happy.

I bought Thrive Diet but not even a chapter in yet. Seems good though =]

Was missing meals over the weekend cause of work.

Wed 15th July 2009

-------------------

Squats 60kg 5x5

Bench Press 40kg 5x5

Inverted Rows 12, 9 (5 with flat feet), 4 (then 6 with flat feet)

Push ups 5x12.5kg, 3x12.5kg (followed by 4 normal), 3x10kg (followed by 5 normal and 4 on knees)

Reverse Crunch 3x12 (5kg counter weight)

First of all that's me added a stone since I started weighing myself on 4th June

On Monday night I was messing about with the weights later on doing some squats/bench press, and then had a go on wii fit doing pushups and stuff (I have a feeling that has something to do with my poor push-up performance today). Anyway, when I was messing with the Squats I had the bar loaded with the weight for today's workout, I done 5 reps really easily. Today however, I struggled BAD in every set. My left upper thigh felt stiff and strained throughout. There's mild lingering pain just now - doesn't hurt, but I know it's there. Will rest as much as possible until friday.

I like your color coding idea. I'm an organizational nerd.

Haha I am a bit too, but for me it's to emphasize my failures!

Fri 17th July 2009 - started doing warm up sets for some exercises

-----------------

Squats 2x5@15kg, 3@45kg, [email protected]

OH Press [email protected]

Deadlift 1x5@50kg, 1x3@65kg, 1x5@80kg

Pull ups 3, 2 (then 3 half reps), 2 (then 2 half reps and 10 negatives)

Prone Bridge 2x65s, 1x75s (kicking each knee for 20s)

Today's workout started pretty bad. I mentionned wednesday that my left thigh felt strained when squatting, I think it's my groin actually. I got through the squats but it hurt. I practiced my OH Press yesterday got my grip/position sorted out and finally got 32.5kg on my 3rd attempt lol...

Deadlifts were fun. Pull ups was my first time managing any reps on my 3rd set and managed to squeeze 2 For half reps rather than jumping i just pull myself up from a standing position, and for negatives now I jump up and pull myself about a heads length above the bar before lowering.

Prone bridges decided to add 5s, on the last set I still had some left in me so done an extra 10s than planned =]

Made progress on everything today, so happy

Mon 20th July 2009 W=167.4lbs

-------------------

Squats 5@20kg, 5@35kg, 3@50kg, 5x5@65kg

Bench Press 5@25kg, 5@35kg, [email protected]

Inverted Rows 13, 10 (4 flat feet), 5 (2 flat feet)

Push-ups [email protected], 4, 4 on knees

Reverse Crunch 3x12 (3kg counter weight)

Legs still hurt when squatting, hopefully get better throughout this week. Need to work on my bench press technique, balance was terrible on some reps.

Need to shape up my inverted rows a bit too, work on getting closer to the bar.

Got the push-ups quite easily, will try 15kg on Friday =]

Last set of reverse crunches were hellish as usual.

2nd workout in a row that I've improved upon everything. If I can nail the overhead presses on wednesday, might get 3 in a row =]

Wed 22nd July 2009

-------------------

Squats 5@25kg, 5@40kg, 3@55kg, [email protected]

OH Press 3@25kg, 5x5@35kg

Deadlift 5@55kg, 3@70kg, 5@85kg

Chin-ups 6, 5, 5 (then 10 negatives)

Prone bridge 2x70s, i tried 70s again, got 40s and collapsed. After 20s break, done another 30s to finish it (kicked each knee for 20s during each set)

I've mentionned a lingering pain in my groin the last few log entries, it made the Squats incredibly hard work today, after the last set I could barely walk. I think on Friday I'll miss the Squats and pick up the 70kg on Monday.

I managed the overhead press!! The last weight it took me 3 attempts. It seems it's more about improving technique than getting stronger at the moment....my technique REALLY sucked at points today, will do better on monday.

The deadlifts ruined my grip, I have a feeling without the deadlifts I'd have managed more chins. Although that's my PB for chins, I've not marked it as improvement, because my last record was 6/5/3 nearly a MONTH ago. 2 rep improvement in a month! I am much heavier now, but that's hardly an excuse.

Prone bridges were fine till the last set, will try 3x70s again on monday.

Everything was so much work today which is good, but I expect better results.

I'm gonna have to buy chalk soon so my hands aren't getting destroyed when i deadlift. Also running out of weights, only got 105kg, and my next deadlift will be 90kg. Prob buy 2x25kg plate....need to get the wallet out.

Thanks for the words of encouragement lobsteriffic and vivalasvegans =]

I NEED to start doing cardio soon, I've been meaning to go out tues/thurs (days between lifting) for a very light 20 min run but always make up an excuse not to.

Workout #21

Fri 24th July 2009

Squats 5@30kg/45kg/60kg, 5x5@70kg

Bench Press 5@30kg/40kg, 5x5@45kg

Inverted Rows 13, 9 (6 with flat feet), 7 (2 with flat feet)

Push ups 4@15kg/12.5kg/10kg, 4 normal, 4 on knees

Reverse Crunch 3x12 (2.5kg counter weight)

Well what can I say, Wednesday I said I wasn't going to Squat but I couldn't help myself! I done the warmup sets and just went for it. Didn't hurt as much today as it did last workout. Bench technique needs work, will do that tomorrow night.

Although I done 1 more row this week I've not marked it as improvement because I got less in the 2nd set.

Push-ups sucked. 15kg raped me.

Everything is look good man!

The deadlifts ruined my grip, I have a feeling without the deadlifts I'd have managed more chins. Although that's my PB for chins, I've not marked it as improvement, because my last record was 6/5/3 nearly a MONTH ago. 2 rep improvement in a month! I am much heavier now, but that's hardly an excuse.

I've said this before, but don't let the pull/chin-ups get you down. It's such a slow progress with these exercises.

I NEED to start doing cardio soon, I've been meaning to go out tues/thurs (days between lifting) for a very light 20 min run but always make up an excuse not to.

Have you thought about doing light barbell complexes instead?

Have you thought about doing light barbell complexes instead?

I didn't even know what they were till I googled them there! Hell, I suck at doing the exercises individually, never mind in a long line one after the other haha. Prob a recipe for disaster in my case!

Week 8

Bodyweight=167.8lbs

Workout #22

Mon 27th July 2009

Squats 5@30kg/47.5kg/62.5kg, [email protected]

OH Press 4,4,3,3,3 @ 37.5kg

Deadlift 1x5@60kg/75kg/90kg

Pull-ups 2, 2 (then 1 from standing), 0 (2 from standing), 10 negatives

Prone Bridge 3x70s (kicking each knee for 20s)

Squats starting to get hard. Overhead press forgot to warm up, technique was terrible. Pull-ups frustrating as always. Got the prone bridges, but was hard kicking my right knee cause of groin pain on the left side. Eating's been bad haven't put on much weight.

Workout #23

Wed 29th July 2009

Squats 5@35kg/50kg, 3@65kg, 5/3@75kg

Bench Press 5@35kg/42.5kg, [email protected]

Inverted Rows 14, 8 (4 with flat feet), 8 (3 with flat feet)

Push-ups 14, 9, 7 (2 on knees)

Reverse Crunch 3x12 (1kg counter weight)

What a horrid workout.

I mentionned I had groin pain from doing squats 1-2 weeks ago and said I was gonna miss Squats for a workout to try and recover. The idea behind that was so that the disaster that happened today wouldn't occur (I didn't take the break). As soon as I started the warm up sets I knew it was gonna be a bad day. I was tired, hungry, working out earlier than usual, my nutrition has been crap the last few days. Regardless, with no energy and sore legs I plugged through, and during 2nd set at work weight I couldn't get back up. That's why I use a power rack so safety bars got it. I decided not to go on with Squats, I'm gonna take a break with them till next Monday.

So on top of not taking a break from Squats, I also said I'd take a day to work on my bench technique. Did I do that either, no I didn't. So the first 3 sets at work weight, I was wobbling about like a prick. The last 2 sets sorted out my position, and I was fine.

Inverted rows were the only good thing about this workout! I feel like the planks have been helping my core, felt solid when I was doing the rows.

Push-ups......sheesh. Being tired mixed with the fact the bag I usually put weights in has ripped a bit, I decided to do unweighted push ups today for the first time in quite a while. 14........14 frickin reps for the first set. I'm gonna put this one down to all the reasons above (tired/bad food/blah blah). Still pathetic.

Reverse crunch's I managed, but I was all over the place.

Workout #24

Fri 31st July 2009

Squats 3x15@30kg

Overhead Press 5@25kg, [email protected], 5/4/3/4/[email protected]

Deadlift 1x5@65kg/80kg/95kg

Chin-ups 6, 3, 3 (10 negatives)

Prone Bridge 70s (kicking each knee for 15s), 2x60s

Just done light squats today cause of my groin. I couldn't really kick my right knee out during the bridges either so just stayed still. Deadlift was fun =] Overhead press frustrating as always, and chin-ups even more so.

Week 9

Bodyweight=170.4lbs

Workout #25

Mon 3rd August 2009

Squats 5@35kg/55kg/65kg, 5x5@75kg

Bench Press [email protected]/45kg, 4@50kg, 5/5/5/[email protected]

Inverted Rows 11, 7 (2 with flat feet), 7 (3 with flat feet)

Push-ups 15, 8, 6 (4 on knees)

Reverse Crunch 3x12 (1.25kg counter weight - using a plate know instead of dumbbell...wasn't adding weight of handle before)

From the first warm up set I knew I was gonna nail the Squats. Took very little rest between sets (just over a minute) compared to normal.

Bench press fail at 1st set, so dropped the weight 2.5kg and continued.

Inverted rows and push-ups were pants. I definitely went to weighted push-ups too early, should've stuck with normal ones for a lot longer.

Reverse crunch's I'm starting to move along the floor a bit while I'm doing them, which is probably down to bad technique.

I'm getting closer to my goal weight, but of course I've added more body fat than muscle which was always planned. When I hit between 175-180lbs, I'll cut back eating a bit, try lose fat and gain muscle while staying in the same weight range.

PS. I STILL haven't started any form of cardio. I need to start tomorrow, or I'm giving myself a kicking.