Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Precontest 2009
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:58 am 
Rabbit

Ruz wrote:
give me one moral reason AGAINST eating the eggs of truly freerange chickens

Whether or not it is morally correct doesn't change the fact that it isn't vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:31 am 
Rabbit

Ruz wrote:
npx wrote:

Ok..I didn't ask you to send me links..I've seen all the literature thanks..I've been vegan for many years now!
I just asked YOU to give me a valid moral reason why he couldn't eat eggs in these circumstances. I'd love it if you could come up with one because i've had this same converstion MANY times with my hardcore activist group..and none of them can give a valid reason. The one thing we all agreed on however, is that veganism comes from within and not without. It's the feeling inside which makes you a vegan, not whether or not you follow the "rules" of being a vegan as defined by wikepedia!!
I would hate to use wikepedia define what i am!!
I'm not trying to piss anyone off here its just i think its stupid to let a dictionary definition mould your whole life when it should be the vegan ethic you have inside which defines your diet and lifestyle for you.

Because I don't discuss the moral part of it, I only say that eating egg is not vegan. If you want to make your own "theory" of what a vegan is or not it's up to you. I am only saying that eating egg is not a part of most vegan lifestyles (except yours then).

But I think we can move this discussion instead of ruin the training log. Start a subject in the general discussion that egg is vegan and we can go on from there I will be quiet in this thread from now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:00 am 
Manatee

I don't eat eggs..they gross me out and I don't like the bacterias they contain.
I'm also not into acting in a way some dictionary tells me to!
I am an anti.speciesist and that's it..perhaps I prefer the moral definition to the media created one of what a vegan SHOULD be.
Anyone who deosn't hurt or exploit non-human animals in any way shape or form is a vegan in my mind :wink:
I don't like getting into "how vegan" someone actually is cause it'll open up a whole can of worms and its not a competition. For example, i would think of someone as "more" vegan who kept chickens, ate their eggs and was an active protester for animal rights than sommeone who stuck rigidly to the "dictionary" definition of a vegan as regards their diet, and then did little or nothing to spread the vegan message or to promote animal welfare.
But like I said, it's not a competition and we all have our own understanding of what a vegan should be.
Peace.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 am 
Rabbit

Sorry guys, I guess I didn't specify that I'm female :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:53 pm 
Rabbit

I had a really good upper body workout yesterday, but I was really upset because I've lost a lot of strength. I started with the weights mentioned but had to back down. Legs today and some more ab work besides the class I teach.
15min jump roping
2 racewalking laps 2/10of a mile
30min stationary biking

Leg press 360lbs
walking lunge around track 12.5lbs
leg ext 70lbs
stiff leg deadlift 80-90lbs
standing calf raise 90lbs
side lunge no weight

Diet is still good, just need to keep myself from eating grapenuts at night LOL

Breakfast 1cup oatmeal
1/4 cup soy

snack 1/2 cup grapes
sunflower seeds/pumpkin seed mix

lunch 1cup quinoa with pine nuts

snack 1 med banana
2 scoops Osolean
12oz soy milk

dinner 4oz tempeh
2-1/2 cups stirfry vegetables(no sauce)

I will finish my post later :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:38 pm 
Elephant

fizeek1977 wrote:
Sorry guys, I guess I didn't specify that I'm female :)

oh I knew you where a girl, that is why I wrote in your journal. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:40 pm 
Elephant

Quote:
I had a really good upper body workout yesterday, but I was really upset because I've lost a lot of strength. I started with the weights mentioned but had to back down.

eh people's stength changes from day to day. Just as long as you have a good workout. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 am 
Rabbit

Had a pretty good leg workout yesterday, weights varied a little from what I wrote, but the exercises were the same. My foot is sore from the metatarsal I broke about 4-1/2 yrs ago. Probably from the race walking. I did yoga for an hr this morning. I'll be doing 30 min on the stair mill on my lunch break and then teaching an hr weight training class. I'll see how tired I am before I decide to do more cardio this evening

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:43 pm 
Rabbit

Well, I have yet to post pics, I need to but I am honestly just not working hard enough to lose any weight. Diet is good. My husband made salmon on the grill last night while I cooked an array of veggies. His parents are in town and they said they eat vegetarian about 3x per week. I tried to eat the salmon and it had such a pungent fish taste and smell, I couldn't eat it. Mind you, I have a family to cook for and they are not vegan even though they don't mind eating some of the things. Everyone else thought it tasted fine and my hubby didn't take offense to it. My daughter who is 11 doesn't quite understand why I'm wanting to give up meat so she questions my decisions. I try to get her to understand but I told her this is something that makes me feel better about myself as well. I will still fix meat for the kids because that's what they want, but I don't miss it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:46 pm 
Manatee

fizeek1977 wrote:
. My daughter who is 11 doesn't quite understand why I'm wanting to give up meat so she questions my decisions. I try to get her to understand but I told her this is something that makes me feel better about myself as well.

Tell her you want her to have a posibility of living to be thirty, and meat consumption is the number one cause of global warming. The meat farming industry has practically destroyed all the worlds natural resources and is responsible for half the world going hungry..I'm sure she'll understand that! I think its important that we are honest about just how bleak the future is and tell it like it is. Really, unless global meat production is radically cut within the next 5 years, well we will all be fucked..sad but true! Its important that we are honest and clear with young people about what is going on in the world because they are the ones who are going to have to deal with most of the shit and they are the ones who can make or break it. We're living in delicate times and it breaks my heart and angers me immensley to see the crap we have left to our children, the complete and utter mess!
As a teacher that's what I tell my young students...my older students get to watch "earthlings" which makes the point better than I ever could (though I've recieved a formal warning for this so maybe I'll have to change my tactics)
As a mother, well I was vegan before I had my daughter so it was never really an issue. She was always grossed out by the thought of eating animals, as are most people who have never had it presented to them as the "normal" thjing to do! I remember when she was really little and she saw them milking a cow..she didn't realise that it was a cows tit, not down there between the cows legs..she literally screamed! It was so funny!!
By the way..nice to see another mum on the forum :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:08 am 
Rabbit

This week was kinda shot. I haven't done a real workout since monday. My family was in town until Thurs and even though they didn't care that I stayed later to work out, I felt guilty. I did teach my kickboxing class and worked abs about a gazillion times this week. I plan on hitting the gym Sat and Sun for upper/lower. No kids this weekend :zunge: LOL so that means time by myself and my puppies. I've been doing good on the nutrition, but honestly I've been skimping on the water intake. 12 weeks away, my hubby is gone for 2 months and we both vowed to look A LOT better by the time we saw each other......Awww love............makes you fat LOL (not really) but we have let each other slip a little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:58 am 
Rabbit

I did not have a good diet weekend. Too much iced coffee with soymilk ( at home ) and too much vegetable lasagna. I did accomplish making my own seitan and it turned out great!! It tasted just as good as buying it and a heck of a lot cheaper.
My hubby is gone for 2 months and my daughter gone to grandma's until wed. I had a great weekend by myself and my puppies :) I got a lot of stuff done, no workout. I actually played so much World of Warcraft this weekend that I almost leveled twice LOL NERD!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:22 pm 
Rabbit

I've done really good on my nutrition, but not enough calories. Workout on upper body today and cardio for only 30 min on the elliptical. I think I will do yoga tonight.

calories 1469
fat 22
protein 192
carbs 124

Breakfast
block 14oz of tofu
sugar free monster :)
8oz soy milk

snack
4 oz seitan
4 oz sweet potato

lunch
4 oz seitan
1/2 cup chickpeas

snack
2 scoops Osolean
water

dinner
1/2 block tofu
1 med egg plant
8oz of OJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:18 pm 
Rabbit

I NEED MOTIVATION!! PLEASE HELP Any suggestions? What motivates you when you are in a slump?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:34 pm 
Stegosaurus

fizeek1977 wrote:

Diet is still good, just need to keep myself from eating grapenuts at night LOL

I have the same problem with cherries haha !

Your diet is looking really clean and nice work on the leg press :)