"Oh No He Didn't!" The Edward Mason story

4/30/2009

So after 19 - 20 months of my previous blog not being updated (and the fact that I haven't lived in Pennsylvania for about 19 - 20 months), I've decided to start a new blog/training journal.

While being a physically active person, I haven't done much in the way of strength training (outside of some pull ups, push-ups and dips) aside from carrying heavy things at work. I don't know exactly what kind of training I want to do (or even if I'll stick to one particular thing, as I love most forms of exercise), but I plan on taking a picture once a week to see what kind of changes my body goes through as the weeks go on.

Whatever my plan ends up being, they all seem that they all start somewhere, a "Before" picture, so I attached one at the bottom.

sany0133.thumb.jpg.d322a95574500d48f426880caade710b.jpg

A picture of Me 4/30/2009

What a 5(ish) mile walk in the muggy, swampy, so-hot-out-because-the-sun-and-humidity-joined-forces makes.

Anyway, having the day off, I decided to go for a leisurely stroll (being that it was 75 or felt somewhere around there), and so I left my apartment around 3:30 and started walking on trails around town. The Woodlands (The actual town I live in, not Houston) has a lot of nice bike trails which I decided to hike on, however, to get to them from my apartment, you have to walk about 4 blocks of no-sidewalk, and there were school buses and lots of puddles because there was rain (and flooding) here a couple days ago. While I was out it started to get really hot/humid/muggy/whatever other weather related reason that keeps people away from Houston, and so I kept going ahead to a store to get some water, about 1.5 miles away. Once there it was pushing 5, and the sun was *REALLY* coming down, but I bought a gallon of water and took it with me, on the logic that carrying it is exercise, and if I need to "take some weight off", I can take off the cap and rehydrate, and that a gallon of water should be a safe amount to have for the 3 mile walk home (I took the long way). Got home, showered, and now I think I'm going to find some food. Great walk for me, and the bugs who had a field day eating my legs, whatever, I knew what I was getting into.

5/12/2009 (Had he still been alive, today would be George Carlin's 72nd birthday)

So I'm gaining weight, and it's mostly been muscle. I bought some dumbbells and have been doing chest presses on a makeshift (but safe) bench, curls and some dips. I'm going to post another picture soon, as soon as I'm not on the clock and can go to a store with batteries. :-/ I'm definitely buying rechargeables, my camera eats batteries like I eat clif bars, and this has gotten out of hand. I'm eating a lot more cooked food than when I was back out in AZ, and the first couple of days back, but I'm still feeling really good, and making sure to always eat some form of salad everyday. I want to get out of Texas once my lease is up at the end of year, and move to Portland, this should be fun. I'm saving up for this already, and things are looking okay.

• 2 weeks later...

5/21

Ugh, I've had a stomach virus for the past 3 days now, and it's impossible to keep down much food. I haven't been working out with weights, and have just been walking as much as necessary. This is the 4th stomach virus I've had too since I moved to Texas, I'm starting to think the water quality might not be as good as back home...

5/22

I'm feeling a lot better today. I was able to get the night off last night and was able to eat about 7 pieces of toast (the only thing that would stay down), but now that all that food stayed down, I'm thinking I'll be completely normal by tomorrow.

The big test today will be to see if I can hold down some salad and fruit. My biggest problem has been that I can't hold down food. If I can't eat I can't really nourish myself (outside of sips of water and rest), so I really needed for my appetite to come back first.

5/27/2009

Worked for about 2 hours, then came down to Tomball, TX to hang out with my Vegan partner in crime Dave B (aka Dave Vs. Robzilla), ate some good food and I'm having a really enjoyable day after getting over that stomach virus which seemed to last about a week in my system, things have definitely been looking up.

Tomorrow marks my 4th Veganniversary too, yay!

• 1 month later...

7/19

So the trip home didn't go as well as planned. I was stuck on top of a mountain at my parent's house, and the computer didn't work, and they don't get cell phone reception, so I was essentially a prisoner in a desert type prison. Sorry that I didn't get to meet anybody that I was planning on meeting while I was home.

I'm definitely planning on moving out of Texas when my lease is up, and I was thinking about moving to Oregon, but I might go somewhere back closer to the East Coast, we'll have to see.

Not too much else is new. Texas is still a 1/4 mile from the sun, though it rained last night for the first time in almost 2 months, and really cooled things down for the night, but now it's day and it's hot again.

• 2 years later...

8/17/2011

So it's been 25 months since my last entry on this blog, let's see what's new (thought a lot of you have me on Facebook, so you know what's up) :

I moved out of Houston earlier this year, and while I wanted to move out a couple of years ago and go elsewhere, I ended up moving 3 hours west to the great city of Austin, Texas. I currently live in a large house with 5 other people, including my landlord (She's vegan, from Houston and she enjoys my cooking, so we get along ).

I had to leave behind my weights and equipment in Houston (though I want to get them back eventually), and so I've been just doing lots of running and bike riding. I haven't driven my car in over a month now and I'm planning on getting rid of it. (public transportation is a beautiful thing too, especially when you can take a bus that drops you off RIGHT AT THE FRONT DOOR OF YOUR FAVORITE CO-OP! ) Said Co-op sells these amazing local whole wheat tortillas (very large ones too) in packs of 10 for $3. I'm bringing burritos back.

While I want my weights back to do some weight lifting, my interests aren't nearly where they once were. In the past couple of years my interests have moved into the wonderful world of organic food production (I like to think I went from human nutrition to plant nutrition). I give plants to people (mostly co-workers) all the time to help spread the joys I've found as well.

As much as I'm loving it here though, I don't honestly know how long I'll be around here. I've learned (and taught others) so much about local food movements, and it's great having so much vegan company around, but I honestly sort of miss having not-like-minded people around (maybe it's because I helped inspire a larger number of people in other communities, even if it wasn't about going vegan, it was positive inspiration), though I don't miss the silly debates I always used to get into.

8/21/2011

I've been busy all day getting ready to go on vacation to see my little brother in South Carolina (who I haven't seen in 3 years now...mildly excited). I've been getting all the loose ends tied, getting a batch of kombucha ready for a friend in town and teaching her how to make her own, making my final decisions on which roommate is most worthy to water my plants while I'm gone (I have 5 roommates and that was actually a tough decision), getting packed, mapping my route to the Greyhound station early in the morning when the first couple of city buses are running. Oy, getting to the part where you go on vacation is sometimes more stressful than the things in our lives that we feel we need to vacation from.

It's been a non-stop past few days with work, and I'm really itching to go for a run, which might be the first thing I do when I get to South Carolina, though I might be able to squeeze one out in a little bit while the kombucha is cooling on the stove. I probably won't be able to log on here at all after today, so have a great week everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome Back Ed! Whole new crew around here, eh?

Sure is, but that's cool by me.

9/3/2011

South Carolina was great and it was great to see my family again. I started lifting weights with my little brother and kept at it when I got back to Texas, my everything is sore right about now. I haven't been running much, but started riding my roommate's bike around the neighborhood instead. It's a sporadic schedule, and like I said, I'm still doing cardio, so I don't have a set goal really, and I'm looking to either find a gym or throw down with my roommates on more exercise equipment, but I can already tell I'm adding weight back on, and that's cool with me. I've also been giving one of my roommates some simple massages and my forearms and starting to look like Mini-Robert's.

My diet has been consisting of tons of homemade burritos (consisting of a wide variety of vegetables including carrots, potatoes, onions, eggplant, peppers, spinach, kale, pinto/black/garbanzo beans, and topped with salsa or homemade hummus...mmm...hummus), some whole wheat pasta (can't wait for my tomatoes to come in so I can start making my own sauce), lots of bananas and plums, lots of water and kombucha, but I really need to start growing wheat grass again to get back on the "juice" (get it? ).