Greeting from Grand Cayman

cafenervosa

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, but have been hanging out on veganfitness for a bit now and like it tremendously. I'm slowly getting back into bodybuilding after having suffer a very serious injury of a broken back and then surgery to rebuild the vertebrea. The only limitations I have is my own lack of discipline!

I've moved down here to Grand Cayman from Philadelpha in Dec. to get out of the city and away from the stresses of my career as a television director up there. I'm a televsion director at the tiny little station down here (cayman 27) and was also hired to act as sort of a consultant, so to speak, to bring up the quality and look of their newscasts. It's very fun easy work and I love the tropical island. (however, it has some rather "3rd world" tendencies)

I'm rather limited in my fresh, organic food selection and everything down here is really expensive, so I must limit myself to $50 a week for food shopping. As much as I would love to be spending the extra money as an investment in my health by buying everything fresh, organic and raw, it's just not feasible down here. So, I'm learning to make do with what I can. So far I've been living off of frozen mixed vegies, gardenburgers, brown rice and beans. I'm hoping once I get settle in my new apartment and get my American expenses finalized and settled, I'llhave more money to spend on healthy food. One nice thing though, my job pays for my gym membership to World Gym!

Welcome to the forum dude. Broken back is no freaking joke, glad to hear you have recovered / are recovering. I live in England so I don't know exactly the cost of food in America, but fiddy bux sounds like enough to live on healthily, and your diet sounds pretty good to me

Welcome, cafenervosa. Love your avatar -- lol!

The only limitations I have is my own lack of discipline!

I think we can all relate to that statement! Good luck on your continuing recovery. You'll find lots of good advice & great support here!

BTW, what are the local fruits & veggies in Grand Cayman?

Welcome, cafenervosa. Love your avatar -- lol!

The only limitations I have is my own lack of discipline!

I think we can all relate to that statement! Good luck on your continuing recovery. You'll find lots of good advice & great support here!

BTW, what are the local fruits & veggies in Grand Cayman?

So far as I've seen the local crops here are just starting to get back into the stores. Everything was wiped out from Hurricane Ivan last year. But right now the big things are lady finger bananas, red bananas, papaya, jicama, bread fruit, coconuts (of course), mangos (which I'm allergic to), and a few other strange looking edible roots which I haven't tried yet.

Welcome to the group!

I've been to Grand Cayman a few times and really enjoyed it! It is quite beautiful and I really had fun playing frisbee on the beach with my friends. I do remember the food being really expensive too. Isn't there a big World Gym out there? Is that where you train?

I know there must be lots of rebuilding going on now from the Hurricane that it. That is too bad.

Have a great time meeting the people on this site and all the best with your training!

Thanks for coming over to join us,

Robert

Welcome to the group!

I've been to Grand Cayman a few times and really enjoyed it! It is quite beautiful and I really had fun playing frisbee on the beach with my friends. I do remember the food being really expensive too. Isn't there a big World Gym out there? Is that where you train?

Robert

Yes as a matter of fact I do work out at the World Gym there. The company I work for pays for my membership. It's not as nice as some of the gyms I've been to in America, but it's got a lot of descent stuff. I'm trying to start going in the mornings before work. I work 10-7, so I've actually got some time in the morning to get in a good workout.

I always need a spotter!

Well, as far as getting a good workout routine going: I'm still in "settling in" phase of moving. I've only just gotten an apartment (after having to stay in a corporate apt.) And I'm trying to get moved in and figured out.

I'm intending on doing a 3-4 day week of workouts w/ a combination of cardio and weights. I'm kinda starting over from square one, so I have a long way to go. But I know where I want to go at least.