The UD2 Diet..anyone got any superlow carb vegan recipes?

Ruz

I've been on this diet for nearly 3 weeks now and I'm amazed at the results. For those who aren't familiar with this diet, it basically consists of 3 days carb depletion with high reps and aerobic workouts, followed by a carb load and low rep workouts. Its ideal for someone like me who only wants to lose the last bit of fat! Problem is, I'm struggling finding nice things to eat on the low carb days. I can only eat 50gm of carb a day which is tough with vegan food..anyone got any suggestions?

I'd be happy to send a copy of the Ultimate Diet 2 book and/or my diet log so far to anyone interested in trying this diet because as far as I am aware, people always said you couldn't do the UD2 on a vegan diet...but I've managed OK so far and like I said, am seeing incredible results. I've lost 4% fat and actually gained some muscle!

• 2 weeks later...

I did the Dan Duchaine predecessor back when I was a carnivore. I am thinking of hitting UD2 also, but like you find vegan options tough.

I brown garlic in olive oil with tempeh and mix it with some beans and chili spices as a lower carb alternative. I eat that one alot.

What about seitan? It is quite high in protein and low in carbs.

Yep I-m eating seitan and tofu...but I need something to eat with them or some new ways of cooking them! Anyways,so few carbs is giving me migranes..gonna give the UD2 a rest after I finish this week..still not lost all the fat I wanted to

dude first week blows just give it a while. I got mega lean on this fast. By week three I was feeling pretty good. There is a good thread on this on vegetarianbodybuilding.com, Steve Holt's site in the forumns. There was a lacto ovo vegetarian using the diet with good success. He blogged it pretty religiously.

dude first week blows just give it a while. I got mega lean on this fast. By week three I was feeling pretty good. There is a good thread on this on vegetarianbodybuilding.com, Steve Holt's site in the forumns. There was a lacto ovo vegetarian using the diet with good success. He blogged it pretty religiously.

I know..the vegan diet and exercise plan at the end of that thread is mine! I-ve dropped from 59kilos to 55 in a month and not lost any muscle so it IS a good plan. However, I-ve suffered from headaches on all the low carb days, getting progressively worse, and this week i had a migrane, so that-s the last time I do the UD2 diet for vanity! Infact my head is still throbbing like a bitch today and I have to workout before my carb loading Not fun..I can deal with muscle pain and exhaustion but I cant deal with loss of vision and my head pounding while I-m in the gym. If I were competing i might consider doing it again but just to look more ripped on the beach..well no, feeling like shit for a month really isnt worth it for me!

However, after reading countless articles on the UD2 and other low carb diets, it appears that although my reaction to very low carbs is not unusual, most people DON/t feel so bad after the first few weeks. And as I have seen how effective it is I would recommend that anyone give it a try..just because low carbs give me migranes doesnt mean the UD2 is not for everyone!

However, it has been a valuable learning experience for me and I-m going to continue with the principles I-ve learnt to some extent and see if i can lose the rest of the fat with simple carb cycling. I-m planning to start next week, only eating starchy carbs when I train at my calorie maintenance level and eating lower carbs, on cardio and all other days and a 25% deficit in my maintenance calories. I-m toying with using this approach

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/08/06/how-to-set-up-a-diet-basic-carb-cycling

and I will definitely do the cardio plan for stubborn fat loss

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/how-to-do-cardio-if-you-must/

I met Built on the vegeterian bodybuilding site you mentioned and her advise is invaluable!

PS today I saw ALL my abdominals for the very first time!! Even with a stinking headache it did make me feel quite good!

I am so jealous! I kind of want that book so I can learn how to do it properly, but I can't afford it right now, of course. Carb cycling sounds easy and hard--I could take it for a few days a week, but I would realllly miss bananas. And I'm not crazy about headaches either.

Do you think it would be effective at all if I had more than 50g of carbs on my low carb days? I currently eat anywhere from 200-350g of carbs a day, so even 100g would be a significant drop.

I am so jealous! I kind of want that book so I can learn how to do it properly, but I can't afford it right now, of course. Carb cycling sounds easy and hard--I could take it for a few days a week, but I would realllly miss bananas. And I'm not crazy about headaches either.

Do you think it would be effective at all if I had more than 50g of carbs on my low carb days? I currently eat anywhere from 200-350g of carbs a day, so even 100g would be a significant drop.

If you want to do the UD2 diet you need to do it properly because if you still have glycogen in your muscles you wont carb up properly. I can send you the book if you give me your email. However, if you want to start with something softer and easier to fit into your normal habits, read the article on carb cycling (the link is posted above). I'm going to change to this now!

Ok, just done my last carb load!

I-d just like to take some time to explain what I have learnt from this diet. I-ve eaten healthily for many years now..only whole grains, lots of seeds, nuts veggies etc. I always thought that it was the starchy carbs which made me feel full..however, after 2 weeks on the UD2 diet, i realized that as long as i added fat to my food, I didn't get particularly hungry.

During the first week i ate around 1,300 kcal and was literally starving ALL the time> I actually drempt about eating!

During the second week i had read more about the UD2 and decided to add more fat to my food as everyone was saying how it helps curb your appetite. It was difficult for me to actually add a tablespoon of oil to my food because I had always learned that it was very fattening and too much fat, even healthy fat was bad for you.

However, the more I read, the more interesting it became. recent studies have shown that people who get a large percentage of their calories from fat actually live longer! It-s sugar which screws up your heart and not fat!

Anyway, to cut a long story short..as I noticed that adding more fat to my food actually did help with hunger, i became more confident and actually found myself pouring a tablespoon of coconut oil into my smoothie! During the last week of the diet, I got my calories down really low and didn't really get very hungry at all! In fact, I have to say that i discovered that i was LESS hungry on my low calorie vegetable smoothie, loaded with fat, than I am with my regular breakfasts of wholemeal toast or oats. I used to eat about 3 times during the morning because I was SO hungry, but when i ate more fat, i didn't feel hungry even once and was actually eating far less total calories!

It was rather worrying for me when I analyzed my diet and realized that most of my calories came from fat, but i think this concern is just from the years of brainwashing I-ve had about how low fat diets are good for you. I-m starting to believe its all crap.

I'm also starting to think that the reason I never look 'hard' enough is because of the amount of carbs i have being eating to satisfy my hunger. I-ve been talking to a lot of BB on different forums about this and the ones who have hard bodies all year round, and not just when competing, consume most of their calories in the form of fat and protein.

So..I-m going to drop most starchy carbs from my diet and get carbs from other sources, especially pulses. I-m also going to eat less fruit and get my vitamins and minerals from eating more leafy vegetables and nutrient dense foods. I-ve been eating a LOT of fruit and I really don't like what I-m reading about the effects of so much sugar in the diet.

Its going to be hard for me on a long term basis because i-ve always based my meals around carbs i.e. pasta with something, rice with something, couscous with something, quinoa with something etc..I-m going to have to re/think my whole way of eating!

Really I-m down to a very healthy weight now and only have 14% body fat so I should look harder than I do! It must be down to diet!

Anyway, I-ll let you know how i get on..I want to look hard!!

But in the meantime, any of you trying out the UD2, or any other low calorie diet should really bear in mind what i have said about fat cutting hunger..fat is going to be your biggest friend! Dont forget that the MCT-s in coconut oil have a protective effect on muscles and sesame oil does too to some extent.

Also, if anyone wants a list of the recipes i did use on this diet I-d be happy to give info..although there isn't a great selection. The most useful things i discovered to eat were TVP and coconut cream for breakfast, gazpacho..which is a traditional spanish drink made of tomatoes, peppers, garlic and oil, salmorejo de asparagus, and mashed cauliflower. Most of the other stuff I ate revolved around green veggies, and protein was from seitan, tofu the occasional nut and my hemp and pea protein crackers.

If you want to do the UD2 diet you need to do it properly because if you still have glycogen in your muscles you wont carb up properly. I can send you the book if you give me your email. However, if you want to start with something softer and easier to fit into your normal habits, read the article on carb cycling (the link is posted above). I'm going to change to this now!

Okay! I think I'll try the carb cycling if it is easier to do. I just seriously need to lose this ridiculous thigh fat!! But I might still check out the book if the carb cycling doesn't work for me.

Does the fat come back quickly once you stop cycling or the UD2?

Ruz, would you recommend using mostly raw fats or have you used them to cook with also? I've heard heating oils is really what makes them bad, rather than just eating them raw. You are seriously enticing me with this whole "eat fats" thing...it's completely against everything I imagined to be right! Although I know what you mean about them being filling--I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning and I would get hungry and feel like I shouldn't be because everyone else bragged about how full oatmeal kept them, but the second I started adding a tablespoon or two of flaxseed to it, it kept me straight through to lunch!!

So I understand you don't get hungry, but do you get tired during a workout, or throughout the day?

Well that depends on the fat and to what temperature you heat them. Basically, the higher the smoke point the better the oil is for cooking. Here is a list but I-m sure you can find many more on google> http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm

Personally I use sesame oil and olive oil for cooking but i don-t ever deep fry stuff so I-m not worried about the fat turning rancid and i also bake a lot.

The UD2 diet leaves you feeling like shit..especially during the first week. You-ll feel weak, trembly and dizzy, for me most of these symptoms were greatly reduced during the second week and hardly a factor after that.

However, getting to sleep and sleeping well can be difficult on a low carb diet as I believe they affect seratonin levels. You could try eating a few brazil nuts before bed or perhaps taking a herbal sleep remedy. you should also try to eat your last meal just before bed time.

About the fat coming back on..well i think if i learnt anything from this diet it was that i generally eat too much carb and that-s why I have too much fat. Obviously if you go back to eating the diet you ate before UD2, which was the diet that made you fat in the first place, you will get fat again.

However, the higher percentage you have of lean body mass will help burn off calories as muscle uses far more calories to maintain than fat . This is incidentally the reason why the body burns off muscle first when you are on a calorie deficient diet. The body needs a lot of calories to maintain muscle and very few to maintain fat so it economizes! that-s bad news for anyone on a diet trying to lose fat. this is why its crucial to work out with heavy weights when you are on a diet. You need to convince your body that you need ALL your muscle fibers and that it can-t possible use your muscle for energy, forcing it to use fat. Too much of the wrong type of cardio will only make you fatter and make your muscles smaller so please read Builts "How to do cardio if you must". There is a link on this page and I would recommend reading the whole page before going to the link, its very informative and eye opening>

http://www.ironmagazine.com/article403.html

As regards the UD2 and its suitability for you, well I wouldn-t really recommend the diet to anyone who isn't preparing for a competition. I think carb cycling would be much more suitable combined with an intelligent workout plan, including some cardio.

I-ve decided to do the cardio routines for stubborn fat loss detailed in the link I-ve sent you. however, instead of doing more traditional cardio for the HIT interval training part, such as running, cycling etc., I-m going to use a two way body split on Monday and Tuesday and use superseries with very short rests for cardio. i-m going to do just cardio on wednesday and then a 2 day split for a heavy workout on Thursday and Friday, rest Saturday and straight cardio on Sunday.

This is very similar to the workout plan detailed in the UD2 book except i will probably be using higher reps than indicated on Monday and Tuesday to get my heart rate well up but not cause too much muscle damage so I-m rested for the strength training workouts on Thursday and Friday. I-ll also be carb cycling. I-ll eat most of my carbs on Thursday, Friday and Saturday when I-ll also eat at 100% of my calorie maintenance level, then on the other days, I-ll eat lower carbs, but nothing extreme, maybe a 20% calorie deficit. This of course means that I-ll lose fat slower but I-m in no rush and I think its a very healthy fat loss plan.

I also don-t see it as a diet i.e., that when i have reached my desired fat level I-ll just revert to what I was doing before. i see it as a new long term eating and exercise plan. Obviously I-ll have to modify and change things depending on how my body reacts to the new plan. Once I get down to 12% body fat I-ll switch to eating above maintenance calories for strength training days and only slightly lower on carb days so it all balances out.

I am a huge believer in fats. I try to make sure I have Udo's oil or flax oil at least once a day, and it is a staple in my protein powder mix. My experience is that my muscles are fuller and harder when I add flax or Udo's oil.

I couldn't agree more on carbs. If I eat anything starchy carb, then I am softer, and I only want to eat more. Most of my carbs are leafy and green these days.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see the copy of this book. I am at my last 10 lbs and veganism is new to me completely. I am familiar with the foods as I have gradually made the switch, but still not sure the best way to set up my diet! I am going to post in another section and get a bunch of ideas. I love this site though- I used to be on a basic bodybuilding site, with all the usual BB foods.

~LE

I would love to see the copy of this book.

~LE

OK..here you go:

I've downloaded a lot of bodybuilding books lately, so I made a zip file and uploaded them all to rapidshare. Anyone who is interested, the file contains the following:

DoggCrapp Training (which I am currently doing and i LOVE!!!)

Amino acids in foods

The Anabolic Diet

Black Book of Training Secrets

The Ultimate Diet 0.2 (UD2)

CNS Workout

Dinosaur Training

Optimum Anabolics

Beyond Bodybuilding

Relax Into Stretch

Why Conventional Bodybuilding Methods Suck

The Abs Diet

The Periodization Bible