High protein pudding

ericscottf

Hi all

Thought i'd share a recipe of mine.

If you don't like high-protein shakes (i don't, as so many of them are gritty or have too much saturated fat) or are looking for something different occasionally, try making them into a pudding.

You can combine:

your favorite soy protein powder

either soy milk or a protein shake

either soy pudding or some other thickening agent like corn starch or tapioca

cook it like you would make regular pudding

cool and serve

I've been successful in getting ratios of well over 3:1 protein to carbs to gel into a pudding and be rather edible. Anything more than that and it gets really gritty.

You've really got to mix the stuff initially, or you're going to have a big ball of skin and powder. I recommend a stick blender for mixing while cooking.

"Chocolate" flavors work best. If you've got a really high protein ratio, you can throw on some caramel sauce afterward to make it a little nicer.

Definitely serve cold. not nearly as nice when hot.

quite simple thank you. do you use cocoa powder? or do you use a chocolate soy milk and chocolate protein powder? i may try this later

what's "cook it like you would make regular pudding"? how high temperature and how long? i've never cooked regular pudding before

I don't use cocoa powder because it is either gross or has too much fat.

Soy protein powder with fake chocolate is what i typically use.

cook it over low heat, stirring constantly, getting all the edges. Those silicone spatulas work best for this.

if it burns to the bottom, it is going to be gross. (standard pudding technique!)

really, all it comes down to is evaporating some of the water out of a regular shake and getting the proteins to coagulate so it is thicker. you get to eat your shake with a spoon instead of a straw. Not much to it.

• 6 months later...

This is a quick and dirty recipe that works OK but I would like to find something a bit tastier:

2 packages (12oz each) of silken tofu

4 scoops protein powder (~100g protein)

1/4 cup cocoa powder

sweetener of choice (I used Splenda)

1/2 large banana

1.5 cups milk

Anyway it came to about 4 servings, 280cals, 6f-15c-41p. I like the protein content but the powder was a bit strong. Damn mocha NitroFusion!