do you know much about anatomy??

Ok, I have a few questions related to exercise. I guess those of you who know about human anatomy/physiology(?) will be able to answer them:

the first one is about fat loss: why do I always loose weight in my face/boobs before my ass?! and why is it so hard to loose the fat in my lower half? is this just a genetic thing? it is really annoying. Is there anything I can do to lose weight more evenly, or are these just the cards I was dealt?

the second one has to do w/ abdominal muscles: I had an emergency c-section w/ my first child... someone told me that they probably cut through muscles in my stomach?? and I KNOW that they pulled my abdominal wall apart to get to my uterus because I saw them do it from a mirror above my head (fun) so I am wondering if there is any way that I will ever have a defined abdominal wall? or is this just not a possibility w/o plastic surgery??

Also, is it possible for skin to shrink? like, will my skin on my stomach that is stretched out from pregnancy get tighter as I lose weight and gain muscle or is that another thing that can only be achieved w/ a tummy tuck?? I have seen so many girls that have had babies w/ no sagging skin on their tummies, I just wonder why that is, while others have really f-cked up bellies?

thanks in advance for any answers!

Enough freaking questions, geeze.

YOu loose fat that way because of genetics, that is just where your family line stored, its all good, just keep busting ass and it will go. Ever see some families with fat faces but skinny everything else? It happens.

You can get plenty of defined abs, the cut heals, its not like a mofo took a serrated saw to you muscle, its a clean surgical incision, now the scar on your skin will always shine on, but with enough fat loss your abs will be present.

Yes skin shrinks, as long as the fat behind it does also, though if you were really large and lost tons of weight by the time your body remodels you may be dead. The body is constantly remodeling itself, from muscle to bone to enzymes, if we are not using it the body tears it down and uses the materials for other things, quite efficiant we are.

any other questions about the thing you are ask away.

the first one is about fat loss: why do I always loose weight in my face/boobs before my ass?! and why is it so hard to loose the fat in my lower half? is this just a genetic thing? it is really annoying. Is there anything I can do to lose weight more evenly, or are these just the cards I was dealt?

I specialize in women's fitness so perhaps this will assist you:

In the majority of women, the last of the fat loss will occur in the mid-section (abs, hips and thighs). Breasts are one of the first to go.

the second one has to do w/ abdominal muscles: I had an emergency c-section w/ my first child... someone told me that they probably cut through muscles in my stomach?? and I KNOW that they pulled my abdominal wall apart to get to my uterus because I saw them do it from a mirror above my head (fun) so I am wondering if there is any way that I will ever have a defined abdominal wall? or is this just not a possibility w/o plastic surgery??

How long ago was your C-Section? A couple of things here. It can take two years to recover. Abdominal work prior to delivery can help the abs to recovery. During the pregnancy the transversus abdominis or "girdle muscle" is severly weaked and must be addressed first via exercise or your belly will actually appear larger or you could do more damage if you are one of the women who had Diastasis Recti (abdominal seperation) occur. Crunches are a no-no for now.

Also, is it possible for skin to shrink? like, will my skin on my stomach that is stretched out from pregnancy get tighter as I lose weight and gain muscle or is that another thing that can only be achieved w/ a tummy tuck?? I have seen so many girls that have had babies w/ no sagging skin on their tummies, I just wonder why that is, while others have really f-cked up bellies?

The answer to this one is maybe. It is dependant upon your skin elasticity. This is generally decided once you achieve weight loss and up to two years after that depending on the amount of weight loss. At that time if the hanging skin has stretch marks on it, it had most likely reached its limit and at that time if bothersome you can decide on further assistance. However that would be skin removal and not a “tummy tuck”.

zinzen, u r funny

thanks you guys for answering my questions so thoroughly! It is so nice not to just be wondering ... you know?

How long ago was your C-Section? A couple of things here. It can take two years to recover. Abdominal work prior to delivery can help the abs to recovery. During the pregnancy the transversus abdominis or "girdle muscle" is severly weaked and must be addressed first via exercise or your belly will actually appear larger or you could do more damage if you are one of the women who had Diastasis Recti (abdominal seperation) occur. Crunches are a no-no for now.

My c-section was actually 5 years ago, but I was only 21 and not really into fitness b4 I got pregnant so I had probably less-than-no muscle tone prior to pregnancy/delivery. I gained about 40 lbs w/ my first baby and that is the pregnancy that did all of the damage. With my second pregnancy I worked w/ a personal trainer throughout the pregnancy and exercised almost daily up until the last month so I only gained 18lbs and lost it right away. What a difference!

So now... what kind of exercise is best for ab strength? are crunches where it's at? I know I get a lot of ab work in the pilates class I take at the gym but that is only once a week... what can I be doing on my own?

thank you (x100)!

Build up your core strength for now with planks, this works directly on your Transverse ab. I am not in such specialties as womens health, just a pre-med massage therapist, so go with what SS said and stay away from crunches, but planks will build up strength and if they are too difficult you can adjust to make em easier, just look up planks and variations

Build up your core strength for now with planks, this works directly on your Transverse ab. I am not in such specialties as womens health, just a pre-med massage therapist, so go with what SS said and stay away from crunches, but planks will build up strength and if they are too difficult you can adjust to make em easier, just look up planks and variations

awwwwww, crap. I hate planks! but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

thanks!! I never really realized that planks are so good for abs.

yeah its all genetics. I see some girls that don't look overweight except they have a giant ass, some others its have huge thights. I see some men with fat evenly distributed throughout the body and face while others it goes especially on the belly.

it has nothing to do with nutrient ratio one eats or certain types of food, like some people paid by the milk industry say that milk or even cheese helps to have a trim waist...lol

Planks are a great exercise for the Transverse abdominal. And yes, stay away from crunches for now..... so in a nut shell.....agreed

are you on your toes or knees, there are variations, also you can try to get in a pushup position and hold the top portion, its another plank

I usually start on my toes, go down to my knees when I can't hold on my toes any longer. I think I will go in the group fitness room at my gym and practice in front of the mirror to get better form. When I do yoga and pilates the teachers always say to "keep your back paralell to the ground" during plank but for me that is much easier said than done, so I think I just need time to practice on my own. When I googled plank positions I also saw some w/ legs spread wider vs. shoulder width apart... so I guess I will experiment.

ok, this might sound like a stupid question- but I have always heard that you should let each muscle group rest for at least a day btw working it again... but I had a middle-school gym teacher that said that the abdominal muscles are the only muscles that are ok to work every day. Do you know if there is truth to either of those statements?

ok, this might sound like a stupid question- but I have always heard that you should let each muscle group rest for at least a day btw working it again... but I had a middle-school gym teacher that said that the abdominal muscles are the only muscles that are ok to work every day. Do you know if there is truth to either of those statements?

There is truth to both. If you are devoting a full routine (say 40min) to your core, then no don't train them daily. If you are doing a set of crunches every day (which you personally shouldn't be right now of course), then it's fine. It is totally dependent on what your goal is and how you are working them. Keep in mind the abdominal muscles are worked indirectly through other exercises. Working them daily is really unnecessary.

Also remember "abs are made in the kitchen" has a lot of truth. A gorgeous six pack covered in 2 inches of fat is still covered in fat.

For sure listen to Seasiren, for both you and her have boobs, therefore she knows a bunch more about the craziness that goes on in your bod, even though what she has just said goes for the boobless also, and yeah abs are mostdef made in the kitchen, hence my lack of a visable six pack.

boobs or no boobs , I thank you both kindly for your thorough answers to my questions!! I am infinitely grateful for your valuable insight. You really don't know how much it means to me to feel armed w/ knowledge on my little fitness journey

Also remember "abs are made in the kitchen" has a lot of truth. A gorgeous six pack covered in 2 inches of fat is still covered in fat.

I will definitely keep this in mind! So, do you think there are any foods that contribute specifically to belly fat, or is it just about overall calorie intake??

Not AB specific, overall fat loss

Eat Clean Foods - appropriate %'s

Good Multi & Vit intake dependant upon your needs

Protein approx 1g or more per lb of BW

Adequate Daily Water Intake - if you don't your body can hold water as it goes into panic mode out of fear of dehydration

Proper Amount Sleep

Stick to Training Routine

No alcohol

Not AB specific, overall fat loss

Eat Clean Foods - appropriate %'s

Good Multi & Vit intake dependant upon your needs

Protein approx 1g or more per lb of BW

Adequate Daily Water Intake - if you don't your body can hold water as it goes into panic mode out of fear of dehydration

Proper Amount Sleep

Stick to Training Routine

No alcohol

thank you! for ALL of your advice