Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: veganmama's road to the healthiest/happiest me...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:34 am 
Manatee

Monday 7/27/09

I am sooooooo sore this morning, I can feel every muscle in my body...crazy! When I really put forth effort, classes @ the gym work my body better than any other workout I do.

FOOD:

breakfast-

green smoothie- watermelon, baby lettuce, water & ice.

lunch-

tofurky and lettuce sandwich on multi grain bread w/ vegenaise.

dinner-

bean and lettuce torta
horchata

snacks-

3 graham crackers
post workout: green smoothie- 1banana, 1 pear, spinach, hemp protein, water & ice.

WORKOUT:

15 minutes treadmill
30 minutes crossramp

SO I came up w/ a "mini goal" to keep me motivated- I want to lose 5lbs and/or 1" off my waist by 8/25... right now my current weight is 159.5 and my current waist measurement is 30". I am putting the waist measurement goal in there because since I last measured my waist I have lost 1" but I haven't lost any weight (I am guessing this means that I am gaining muscle and losing fat), and my clothes fit better... so I don't want to get discouraged if I don't lose some L-B's, though I don't think that 5lbs is an unrealistic goal. Also, I did a bf% test based on body measurements and the calculator told me that my bf% is 25.2%, I think it will be interesting to track this, so for posterity- that's what it is now.

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:23 pm 
Manatee

Tuesday 7/28/09

FOOD:

breakfast:

apricot "milkshake"- soymilk, orange juice, fresh apricots, 2 tbsp hemp protein, 1tbsp almond butter, turbinado sugar, vanilla, ice.

lunch:

brown rice, chickpeas, bell peppers, tofu, sundried tomatoes + baby greens salad w/ goddess dressing.

dinner:

veggie burger on multi-grain bread w/ lettuce & tomato.

snacks:

watermelon

WORKOUT:

today was a pseudo-rest day so...

30 minutes low intensity treadmill
1 minute holding dolphin pose (abs)

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:00 am 
Manatee

7/29/09

FOOD:

breakfast:
a.m. coffee
12 oz vega smoothie- berry vega, soymilk (out of almond milk), orange juice, ice.

lunch:
chickpea flour and tofu crepes.

dinner:
vega smoothie- small banana, soy milk (need to get some almond milk!), chocolate vega, ice.

snacks:
post workout: 12 oz (small) green smoothie- small banana, 1 pear, spinach, hemp protein, water & ice.

WORKOUT:

45 minutes shadowboxing class
15 minutes abs

I got my ass handed to me on a platter today in SB class... my instructor is seriously sadistic. love it.

I'm going to try to get more protein in today... I checked 'The Thrive Diet' (Brendan Brazier) out from the library, I am going to start reading today because I know that he covers a lot about recovery... I feel quite ignorant when it comes to those things & I want to do this right!

I have been so dizzy lately (when getting up from sitting/laying down), I have been forgetting to take my iron, and I am out of my multi-vs. I'll take the kids' vitamins for now and try to make sure I am getting enough protein... off to read! edit: felt much better after big, protein filled lunch, need to make protein a priority.

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

Last edited by veganmama on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:18 pm 
Manatee

Friday 7/31/09

FOOD:
breakfast:
green smoothie-spinach, banana, pear, 2tbsp hemp protein, water & ice.

lunch:
larabar

dinner:
cold rice-noodle tofu curry pasta salad (yum.)

snacks:
raisin bran w/ soymilk

WORKOUT: 1 hour cardio
30 min treadmill
30 min crossramp
5 minutes bike to cool down

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

Last edited by veganmama on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:30 am 
Rabbit

Yeah, watch the protein intake and make sure your getting enough. One dish i like to make in the morning are pancakes made with half chik pea and half whole wheat flour, making a complete protein and all that. Also, i notice when I fruit it up in the morning i tend to get lightheaded when i get up to fast. I dont know if this is due to too much sugar or what but its whatever..... cause fruit is good!

Thanks again for the PM about the books and recipes and things of that sort. Im thinking about buying 'La Dolce Vegan' since any book with the word 'diet' makes my parents start hounding me about my life and all that.

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:32 am 
Stegosaurus

SB Class sounds like good times! the thrive diet book is a excellent one!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:57 pm 
Manatee

Twilight wrote:
... One dish i like to make in the morning are pancakes made with half chik pea and half whole wheat flour, making a complete protein and all that....

I wonder if that would work w/ chickpea flour & brown rice flour?? I just bought some BR flour yesterday and I want to find a recipe for it.

Yes, check out LDV... it is an amazing cook book, I cook from it at least a few times a week, more often when the weather is cold and I can turn the oven on! I understand that your parents are anxious about your diet, you need to show them that veganism can be a really healthy lifestyle! I think that most of the info from Rory Freedman's books (skinny bitch, skinny bastard) can be found on PETA's website anyhow, so no sweat about worrying about being seen w/ her book.

MaryStella wrote:
SB Class sounds like good times! the thrive diet book is a excellent one!

Yes, shadowboxing class is AWESOME... it is a serious workout, the instructor is evil!! At somepoint during each class I start cursing her name and wondering why I torture myself so... but by the end I feel so fulfilled and have such a sense of accomplishment! It's the hardest thing I have ever done physically, for sure! :heart: it!

I am really loving 'Thrive'... sooo many good recipes, I made the mint carob sports drink yesterday, and the papaya recovery smoothie. YUM! I just love how he really makes you understand fitness nutrition!

SO, this weekend was a little crazy... my nephew's b-day party was yesterday so I hit the gym in the morning for 45min of shadowboxing and 15minutes of ab work... then off to the party- which was at a resort so we spent all day in the pool... which was a nice stretch for my sore muscles! I ate pretty good yesterday, except for maybe too many Newman's Os... I have learned to bring my own food to these family events, so I brought the makings for a big spinach salad (yum) and the Newman's Os to make me feel better while everyone else was eating cake.

Today was my rest day. So, yeah.... looking forward to another good week...

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:22 am 
Elephant

veganmama wrote:
I ate pretty good yesterday, except for maybe too many Newman's Os... I have learned to bring my own food to these family events, so I brought the makings for a big spinach salad (yum) and the Newman's Os to make me feel better while everyone else was eating cake.

Let them eat cake. ;)
Another strategy could be to bring a limited amount of newman-o's. or make cupcakes that have more of what you want in them (protein, healthy fats, etc) and bring enough to share.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:32 am 
Rabbit

Great nutrition choices! Isn't the shadowboxing great? When I teach my kickboxing, I'm always sopping wet! Your goals are very realistic and obtainable. Yes the protein is very important to get in and as I learn more I find it easier and easier to get in the amounts I used to with meat. I'm sorry your iron was low, has that happened often? Great workouts and I'm excited to see your progress :boxer:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:38 am 
Manatee

vivalasvegans wrote:
Another strategy could be to bring a limited amount of newman-o's. or make cupcakes that have more of what you want in them (protein, healthy fats, etc) and bring enough to share.

That is a good idea! Do you happen to have any recipes? The only vegan cupcake recipes I have come across are pretty unhealthy... if not, not worries! I will find something.

fizeek1977 wrote:
Great nutrition choices! Isn't the shadowboxing great? When I teach my kickboxing, I'm always sopping wet! Your goals are very realistic and obtainable. Yes the protein is very important to get in and as I learn more I find it easier and easier to get in the amounts I used to with meat. I'm sorry your iron was low, has that happened often? Great workouts and I'm excited to see your progress :boxer:

yes, I am always sopping wet at the end of SB class too! It is a really fun way to build up strength, and I always feel it for a few days afterward! Thank you for your input! Yes, I guess I am pretty anemic if I don't take my iron... I started taking it when I was pregnant w/ my son and tested anemic and have been taking it since... if I don't take it I can definitely tell that I forgot it.

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:47 am 
Manatee

Monday 8/3/09

So I have been reading 'Thrive' all weekend and I am getting ready to make some of the recipes. I've got my shopping list all ready. Brendan has also convinced me that I need to get off of the coffee w/ his debt analogy :? . I am currently working my way out of financial debt, I don't need to be worrying about my body's adrenal debt! This is my 3rd day without my cup o' joe! Thank god for Celestial Seasonings Roastaroma. So I am setting up my food diary the way that he plans the meals in the 12 week portion of the book... I don't know if I am going to hit all of the daily meals and snacks but I will set it up that way since that is where I am trying to get to...

FOOD:

breakfast:
herbal tea
carob-mint protein smoothie- 2c unsweetened almond milk, 1T agave nectar, 1T hemp protein, 1T carob, 1/2t salba seed oil, mint extract, vanilla, ice (I would have added spinach to this if I had had some in the house, I did that last night and it was deeeelicous).

morning snack:
1/2 cliff builders bar

lunch:
salad- mixed greens, 1/2 avocado, 1 sheet Nori, 1tbsp nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper w/ balsamic vinaigrette.

afternoon snack:
pre-workout smoothie- strawberries, almond milk, 1 date, 1/2t coconut oil, carob powder, raw cacao powder, agave nectar, vanilla.

dinner: (post workout)
green protein smoothie- 2 C almond milk, 1T hemp protein, 1T carob powder, 1T agave nectar, 1t salba seed oil, 1/2 bag baby spinach, mint extract, vanilla.

after-dinner snack:
none

WORKOUT:
1 hour yoga

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

Last edited by veganmama on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:03 pm 
Elephant

Oh boy, coffee and adrenal debt. Looks like I need to read Thrive too! :(

http://www.facebook.com/veganburgh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:10 am 
Manatee

michaelhobson wrote:
Oh boy, coffee and adrenal debt. Looks like I need to read Thrive too! :(

It is bad news, my friend. You could always just pretend like you never heard about it and go on enjoying your java! ;) Seriously though, I am not missing it as much as I thought I would... and my energy is sustained throughout the day vs. the crashes in the afternoon.

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:26 pm 
Manatee

Tuesday 8/4/09

FOOD:
breakfast:
herbal tea
green smoothie- cantaloupe, strawberries, 1 date, 1T hemp protein, baby spinach, tiny bit of agave nectar.

morning snack:

lunch:

afternoon snack:

dinner:

after-dinner snack:

WORKOUT:

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:45 pm 
Manatee

Wednesday 8/5/09

I know I need to update yesterday, will get around to it later! I am baking a vegan chocolate cake for my honey's b-day today... it smells sooooo delicous!

FOOD:
breakfast:
Banana-Ginger-Pear Cereal (pg 215 'Thrive')= 1 banana, 1 pear, 1 date (first 3 ingredients cut into bite size pieces), 1/4 cup chopped almonds, 1T ground flax, 1T hemp protein, 1/2 T roasted carob powder, 1/2 T raw cacao powder (not in original recipe), 1/2 T grated fresh ginger, drizzle of maple syrup (not in original recipe) W/ almond milk.
O M G this was the best thing that I have ever eaten! ever. THIS is the food for which the word food-gasm was put in the dictionary! ok, so I don't think the word food-gasm is actually in the dictionary, but this shit was really frikkin' good. I think I am in love with Brendan Brazier.

morning snack:

lunch:

afternoon snack:

dinner:

after-dinner snack:

WORKOUT:

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

Last edited by veganmama on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.