veganmama's road to the healthiest/happiest me...

Ok, so I don't have any specific goals although losing 20 lbs (I am 5'7" and 160lbs, was about 154 before I started weight training about 3xweek, not sure if that is coincidence or muscle ) seems like a good goal, as does feeling strong. I have never quite lost my baby weight, though I feel healthier and am more comfortable with my body than I ever was before I had kids. I will also keep my food log here because normally I write it down, but sometimes it is faster to type than to write. Thanks for reading and any and all comments/suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Ok, so!

7/20/09

breakfast:

Candy's chickpea flour "omelette" (OMG so delicious!! Thank you Candy!) w/ bell peppers, spinach, garlic, and tofu.

1/2 avocado.

lunch:

green smoothie- 2 pears, kale, mint, water + ice= 1 quart of deliciousness.

dinner:

Japanese food- brown rice, seasoned seaweed, edamame

snacks:

afternoon- bell peppers w/ edamame hummus

post workout- protein shake (almond milk, hemp protein, raw cacao, ice)

WORKOUT: total- 1 hour

Cardio:

15 minutes treadmill

15 minutes of a cardio machine that I can't remember the name of- but LOVED, tried for the first time tonight and I am totally hooked... a cross(?) anyone know?? Kind of like eliptical but not really... got me sweating, that's for sure!

Strength:

3(sets)X20(reps) of each of the following, at various weights (none above 75lbs):

ALL machines:

seated leg curls

leg extensions

hip adduction

hip abduction

arm curls

arm extension

Today was a good day, the only thing I would say is that I ate a little too much... I probably could have done without dinner as I was still full from my green smoothie and snacking on hummus. Great workout, I went to the gym for yoga but the instructor didn't show (boo for flaky gym instructors!), but I am kind of glad because I really liked that new cardio machine I tried. It's always fun to try new things and find out you really like something, right??

Edited by veganmama

tuesday 7/21/09

FOOD:

coffee first thing after waking up (always).

breakfast:

1 quart green smoothie- 2 pears, 1 banana, spinach, water (this is my favorite recipe)

lunch:

chickpea flour "omelette" w/ tofu, spinach, bell peppers.

dinner:

tempeh taco w/ brown rice, pinto beans, & homegrown tomato

snacks:

brown rice cake after workout (starving!)

16oz soy latte in afternoon

small bowl of peanut butter puffins w/ almond milk for dessert, to kill sweet tooth!

WORKOUT: total- 45 min cardio

20 min treadmill incline-6 @4.5mph

15 min crossramp (pouring sweat! I love this machine)

10 min sauna

10 min swimming

my workout was short-ish because I was running out of time b4 the 'kids club' closed.

We had a big thunderstorm last night so it was SOOO nice outside this morning and it is only going to be 108 today... COOL compared to the 115 that it has been. I love how clean everything feels after a storm.

So today was pretty good, except that I am relying too much on coffee, I am soooooo drained lately. I share my bed w/ my 2 year old and he has been waking up a lot at night. I am at the end of my rope energy-wise. The only time today that I felt really good was during/after workout. Other than that I was drained, and relying on caffeine made me cranky to boot . Also, I notice on days that I am tired I have a nasty sweet tooth! I am guessing that my body is craving carbs for energy?

Wednesday 7/22/09

FOOD:

coffee in a.m.

breakfast:

green smoothie- 2 cups of red grapes, 1/2 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, hemp protein, water & ice.

lunch:

tofurky sandwich on sprouted wheat bread, w/ vegenaise and lettuce; salt and vinegar potato chips .

dinner:

pizza crust w/ cheese taken off at costco (blech!). I had to take my dad shopping (he doesn't drive) and got so hungry and desperate. I wish I had brought a snack! lesson learned.

snacks:

peanut butter puffins w/o milk after work.

banana "milk"shake- almond milk, banana, tiny bit of brown sugar, hemp protein, ice.

WORKOUT:

I didn't make it to the gym because of having to take my dad out shopping. I think that pushing two kids around in a cart for 2 hours at a giant warehouse store must burn some calories though, right? .

Today I work (yay) I am needing a break from chores/kids.

oh, I forgot to mention that I weighed myself at the gym yesterday and the scale said exactly 160 so that will be my official starting point for gauging weight loss.

craving sweets again today, and I am going to bed and waking up w/ nasty headaches every day??? caffeine?

Thursday 7/23/09

FOOD:

breakfast:

green smoothie- papaya, mango, banana, spinach, water & ice.

lunch:

tofurky sandwich on sprouted wheat bread, w/ vegenaise and lettuce (pretty much my usual work lunch).

dinner:

green smoothie during/post workout- 1 mango, 1 banana, kale, hemp protein, water & ice.

snacks:

brown rice cake

small soy latte

a few of kids' french fries they tempt me so!!

WORKOUT:

CARDIO:

20 min treadmill

20 min crossramp

STRENGTH:

3(sets)X20(reps) of each of the following, at various weights (none above 75lbs):

ALL machines:

seated leg curls

leg extensions

hip adduction

hip abduction

I didn't have time for arms today so I will do arms/back 2morrow.

Today was a good day, no headaches. I am thinking that they might just be a detox thing from the green smoothies. I am starting to feel strong and noticing some firming action! like when I get up from laying down and put my hand on my stomach I can totally feel some abs going on, and the definition in my arms makes me very happy

Edited by veganmama

Friday 7/24/09

COMIDA:

breakfast:

green smoothie- raspberries, banana, spinach, hemp protein, water & ice.

lunch:

veggie burger w/ tomatoes, pickles, onions, lettuce, a few french fries.

dinner:

japanese food- seaweed salad, cucumber salad, veggie hand roll, edamame + a small sapporo

snacks:

homemade raw "cookies".

EJERCICIO:

15 minutes crossramp

all machines 3x15reps @ no more than 15 lbs (don't laugh)

arm curls

arm extensions

lat pulldowns (30lbs)

crazy busy day. unfortunately didn't have as much time as I wanted to work out, had to take my dad to dr.

tomorrow is shadowboxing baby! yeeeeah!

offical before pic:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_z5vm5vQ3i4E/SmqqtIs80-I/AAAAAAAABns/y1a8y5579Ek/s400/before.jpg

taken today. Sorry, it is quite blurry... it is frikkin hard to stay still when you are flexing (YES, I AM flexing... don't laugh). I want to see a lot more definition in my arms by the end of september... + I want to get that tummy flatter.

Saturday 7/25/09

FOOD:

breakfast:

coffee

1/2 a banana (Finn absconded w/ the other half )

lunch:

mexican- 1/2 grilled veggie burrito, rice and salad; horchata (mmm)

dinner:

brown rice, tofu, chickpeas, veggies.

snacks:

green smoothie- spinach, banana, pear, mint, water & ice.

coffee

1 raw "cookie"

WORKOUT: 1 hour total

45 minute everlast shadow boxing class (awesome)

15 minute ab work

Mama, how many calories are you taking in right now? I think you may want to add a little something to breakfast, maybe some Oats or leftover cooked Brown Rice. I only ask cause today i just had an orange and, despite it being my rest day, i was a growly McGrowl like 2 hours later.

Everything else is looking awesome though, keep it up!

Sunday 7/26/09

Sunday I don't track what I eat- just too much running around and grazing.

BUT workout was awesome, 1 hour pilates that totally kicked my butt (awesome teacher) and I was already sooo sore from shadowboxing class yesterday. Good times.

Mama, how many calories are you taking in right now? I think you may want to add a little something to breakfast, maybe some Oats or leftover cooked Brown Rice. I only ask cause today i just had an orange and, despite it being my rest day, i was a growly McGrowl like 2 hours later.

Everything else is looking awesome though, keep it up!

haha... I was STARVING yesterday after my 1/2 banana but I was in a hurry to get to my class@ the gym...I ended up eating lunch at like 11:00 right after the gym. I am good w/ my green smoothies in the morning (I drink at least a quart), they fill me up in a big way! I need to keep some Larabars on hand for weekends when I am in a hurry to get out of the house. I am not sure how many calories I am taking in, actually... I don't count or restrict my diet, just eat what I want, when I want it- but if I don't start meeting my goals I may start keeping track b/c I know too little calories are as bad as too many.

thanks!!!

Monday 7/27/09

I am sooooooo sore this morning, I can feel every muscle in my body...crazy! When I really put forth effort, classes @ the gym work my body better than any other workout I do.

FOOD:

breakfast-

green smoothie- watermelon, baby lettuce, water & ice.

lunch-

tofurky and lettuce sandwich on multi grain bread w/ vegenaise.

dinner-

bean and lettuce torta

horchata

snacks-

3 graham crackers

post workout: green smoothie- 1banana, 1 pear, spinach, hemp protein, water & ice.

WORKOUT:

15 minutes treadmill

30 minutes crossramp

SO I came up w/ a "mini goal" to keep me motivated- I want to lose 5lbs and/or 1" off my waist by 8/25... right now my current weight is 159.5 and my current waist measurement is 30". I am putting the waist measurement goal in there because since I last measured my waist I have lost 1" but I haven't lost any weight (I am guessing this means that I am gaining muscle and losing fat), and my clothes fit better... so I don't want to get discouraged if I don't lose some L-B's, though I don't think that 5lbs is an unrealistic goal. Also, I did a bf% test based on body measurements and the calculator told me that my bf% is 25.2%, I think it will be interesting to track this, so for posterity- that's what it is now.

Tuesday 7/28/09

FOOD:

breakfast:

apricot "milkshake"- soymilk, orange juice, fresh apricots, 2 tbsp hemp protein, 1tbsp almond butter, turbinado sugar, vanilla, ice.

lunch:

brown rice, chickpeas, bell peppers, tofu, sundried tomatoes + baby greens salad w/ goddess dressing.

dinner:

veggie burger on multi-grain bread w/ lettuce & tomato.

snacks:

watermelon

WORKOUT:

today was a pseudo-rest day so...

30 minutes low intensity treadmill

1 minute holding dolphin pose (abs)

7/29/09

FOOD:

breakfast:

a.m. coffee

12 oz vega smoothie- berry vega, soymilk (out of almond milk), orange juice, ice.

lunch:

chickpea flour and tofu crepes.

dinner:

vega smoothie- small banana, soy milk (need to get some almond milk!), chocolate vega, ice.

snacks:

post workout: 12 oz (small) green smoothie- small banana, 1 pear, spinach, hemp protein, water & ice.

WORKOUT:

45 minutes shadowboxing class

15 minutes abs

I got my ass handed to me on a platter today in SB class... my instructor is seriously sadistic. love it.

I'm going to try to get more protein in today... I checked 'The Thrive Diet' (Brendan Brazier) out from the library, I am going to start reading today because I know that he covers a lot about recovery... I feel quite ignorant when it comes to those things & I want to do this right!

I have been so dizzy lately (when getting up from sitting/laying down), I have been forgetting to take my iron, and I am out of my multi-vs. I'll take the kids' vitamins for now and try to make sure I am getting enough protein... off to read! edit: felt much better after big, protein filled lunch, need to make protein a priority.

Edited by veganmama

Friday 7/31/09

FOOD:

breakfast:

green smoothie-spinach, banana, pear, 2tbsp hemp protein, water & ice.

lunch:

larabar

dinner:

cold rice-noodle tofu curry pasta salad (yum.)

snacks:

raisin bran w/ soymilk

WORKOUT: 1 hour cardio

30 min treadmill

30 min crossramp

5 minutes bike to cool down

Edited by veganmama

Yeah, watch the protein intake and make sure your getting enough. One dish i like to make in the morning are pancakes made with half chik pea and half whole wheat flour, making a complete protein and all that. Also, i notice when I fruit it up in the morning i tend to get lightheaded when i get up to fast. I dont know if this is due to too much sugar or what but its whatever..... cause fruit is good!

Thanks again for the PM about the books and recipes and things of that sort. Im thinking about buying 'La Dolce Vegan' since any book with the word 'diet' makes my parents start hounding me about my life and all that.

... One dish i like to make in the morning are pancakes made with half chik pea and half whole wheat flour, making a complete protein and all that....

I wonder if that would work w/ chickpea flour & brown rice flour?? I just bought some BR flour yesterday and I want to find a recipe for it.

Yes, check out LDV... it is an amazing cook book, I cook from it at least a few times a week, more often when the weather is cold and I can turn the oven on! I understand that your parents are anxious about your diet, you need to show them that veganism can be a really healthy lifestyle! I think that most of the info from Rory Freedman's books (skinny bitch, skinny bastard) can be found on PETA's website anyhow, so no sweat about worrying about being seen w/ her book.

SB Class sounds like good times! the thrive diet book is a excellent one!

Yes, shadowboxing class is AWESOME... it is a serious workout, the instructor is evil!! At somepoint during each class I start cursing her name and wondering why I torture myself so... but by the end I feel so fulfilled and have such a sense of accomplishment! It's the hardest thing I have ever done physically, for sure! it!

I am really loving 'Thrive'... sooo many good recipes, I made the mint carob sports drink yesterday, and the papaya recovery smoothie. YUM! I just love how he really makes you understand fitness nutrition!

SO, this weekend was a little crazy... my nephew's b-day party was yesterday so I hit the gym in the morning for 45min of shadowboxing and 15minutes of ab work... then off to the party- which was at a resort so we spent all day in the pool... which was a nice stretch for my sore muscles! I ate pretty good yesterday, except for maybe too many Newman's Os... I have learned to bring my own food to these family events, so I brought the makings for a big spinach salad (yum) and the Newman's Os to make me feel better while everyone else was eating cake.

Today was my rest day. So, yeah.... looking forward to another good week...

I ate pretty good yesterday, except for maybe too many Newman's Os... I have learned to bring my own food to these family events, so I brought the makings for a big spinach salad (yum) and the Newman's Os to make me feel better while everyone else was eating cake.

Let them eat cake.

Another strategy could be to bring a limited amount of newman-o's. or make cupcakes that have more of what you want in them (protein, healthy fats, etc) and bring enough to share.

Great nutrition choices! Isn't the shadowboxing great? When I teach my kickboxing, I'm always sopping wet! Your goals are very realistic and obtainable. Yes the protein is very important to get in and as I learn more I find it easier and easier to get in the amounts I used to with meat. I'm sorry your iron was low, has that happened often? Great workouts and I'm excited to see your progress

Another strategy could be to bring a limited amount of newman-o's. or make cupcakes that have more of what you want in them (protein, healthy fats, etc) and bring enough to share.

That is a good idea! Do you happen to have any recipes? The only vegan cupcake recipes I have come across are pretty unhealthy... if not, not worries! I will find something.

Great nutrition choices! Isn't the shadowboxing great? When I teach my kickboxing, I'm always sopping wet! Your goals are very realistic and obtainable. Yes the protein is very important to get in and as I learn more I find it easier and easier to get in the amounts I used to with meat. I'm sorry your iron was low, has that happened often? Great workouts and I'm excited to see your progress

yes, I am always sopping wet at the end of SB class too! It is a really fun way to build up strength, and I always feel it for a few days afterward! Thank you for your input! Yes, I guess I am pretty anemic if I don't take my iron... I started taking it when I was pregnant w/ my son and tested anemic and have been taking it since... if I don't take it I can definitely tell that I forgot it.