veganmama's road to the healthiest/happiest me...

Monday 8/3/09

So I have been reading 'Thrive' all weekend and I am getting ready to make some of the recipes. I've got my shopping list all ready. Brendan has also convinced me that I need to get off of the coffee w/ his debt analogy . I am currently working my way out of financial debt, I don't need to be worrying about my body's adrenal debt! This is my 3rd day without my cup o' joe! Thank god for Celestial Seasonings Roastaroma. So I am setting up my food diary the way that he plans the meals in the 12 week portion of the book... I don't know if I am going to hit all of the daily meals and snacks but I will set it up that way since that is where I am trying to get to...

FOOD:

breakfast:

herbal tea

carob-mint protein smoothie- 2c unsweetened almond milk, 1T agave nectar, 1T hemp protein, 1T carob, 1/2t salba seed oil, mint extract, vanilla, ice (I would have added spinach to this if I had had some in the house, I did that last night and it was deeeelicous).

morning snack:

1/2 cliff builders bar

lunch:

salad- mixed greens, 1/2 avocado, 1 sheet Nori, 1tbsp nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper w/ balsamic vinaigrette.

afternoon snack:

pre-workout smoothie- strawberries, almond milk, 1 date, 1/2t coconut oil, carob powder, raw cacao powder, agave nectar, vanilla.

dinner: (post workout)

green protein smoothie- 2 C almond milk, 1T hemp protein, 1T carob powder, 1T agave nectar, 1t salba seed oil, 1/2 bag baby spinach, mint extract, vanilla.

after-dinner snack:

none

WORKOUT:

1 hour yoga

Edited by veganmama

Oh boy, coffee and adrenal debt. Looks like I need to read Thrive too!

It is bad news, my friend. You could always just pretend like you never heard about it and go on enjoying your java! Seriously though, I am not missing it as much as I thought I would... and my energy is sustained throughout the day vs. the crashes in the afternoon.

Wednesday 8/5/09

I know I need to update yesterday, will get around to it later! I am baking a vegan chocolate cake for my honey's b-day today... it smells sooooo delicous!

FOOD:

breakfast:

Banana-Ginger-Pear Cereal (pg 215 'Thrive')= 1 banana, 1 pear, 1 date (first 3 ingredients cut into bite size pieces), 1/4 cup chopped almonds, 1T ground flax, 1T hemp protein, 1/2 T roasted carob powder, 1/2 T raw cacao powder (not in original recipe), 1/2 T grated fresh ginger, drizzle of maple syrup (not in original recipe) W/ almond milk.

O M G this was the best thing that I have ever eaten! ever. THIS is the food for which the word food-gasm was put in the dictionary! ok, so I don't think the word food-gasm is actually in the dictionary, but this shit was really frikkin' good. I think I am in love with Brendan Brazier.

morning snack:

lunch:

afternoon snack:

dinner:

after-dinner snack:

WORKOUT:

Edited by veganmama

aaaaaahhhhh!

the last few days have been crazy, in a bad way.

My dad was taken to a hospice on Saturday and we are fighting to get him home, b/c he does not belong in a hospice. Yesterday when I took the kids to visit him they were wheeling a dead body out the front door as we were walking in! I had never seen a dead body before, it was quite distrubing (well, I didn't actually SEE it since it was covered with a sheet, but still...distrubing). So I am dealing with doctors, and hospice peeps and all of this crap and it is really emotional. For the past few days I have spent the greater part of each day trying not to scream. I think I am driving everyone at work crazy w/ my uncontrollable sighing. And speaking of work... this is our busiest week as we get ready for fall and push the spring stuff out the door... it has been crazy busy and setting the store up for Fall is like moving x 10. It is really intense.

So, I have not been updating my food journal, or getting to the gym (I made it today for only about 20 min). I am going to gather my shit together this weekend and start a new gym routine on Monday, thanks to DCNINJA for taking the time to help me out w/ a routine. I am excited about that, and I just need to remember that no matter what crazy shit I have going on, I NEED to make time for myself, or I am going to lose IT .

Wow! Never seen a dead body, wish I could say that. Sorry to hear about your dad, hope you can get him all sorted out. I have been there many times with my mom, mostly mental health issues, but some physical too. It's really hard to have such a huge thing pop up randomly in the middle of an already busy and complicated life. You're strong, I'm sure you can handle whatever life throws at you.

If it helps any, you inspired me, no coffee or any other caffeine since reading your post over a week ago!

awwwww thank you for your kind words of support!

Yes, my dad's problems are mostly mental which have manifested themselves into physical. He was actually taken to the hospice as a result of taking too many xanax and appearing incoherent when a nurse came to check on him at his home. Sigh.

hee hee, I am glad to hear that I inspired you to stay away from the caffeine! I am trying to be good, but today I drank a soy latte b/c I had to wake up about 3 hours earlier than I normally do... I'll get back on the wagon though!