Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: chewybaws stronglifts log
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:38 pm 
Manatee

Everything is look good man! :)

chewybaws wrote:

The deadlifts ruined my grip, I have a feeling without the deadlifts I'd have managed more chins. Although that's my PB for chins, I've not marked it as improvement, because my last record was 6/5/3 nearly a MONTH ago. 2 rep improvement in a month! :cry: I am much heavier now, but that's hardly an excuse.

I've said this before, but don't let the pull/chin-ups get you down. It's such a slow progress with these exercises.

chewybaws wrote:
I NEED to start doing cardio soon, I've been meaning to go out tues/thurs (days between lifting) for a very light 20 min run but always make up an excuse not to.

Have you thought about doing light barbell complexes instead?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:57 pm 
Elephant

xCx wrote:
Have you thought about doing light barbell complexes instead?

I didn't even know what they were till I googled them there! Hell, I suck at doing the exercises individually, never mind in a long line one after the other haha. Prob a recipe for disaster in my case!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:10 am 
Elephant

Week 8
Bodyweight=167.8lbs

Workout #22
Mon 27th July 2009

Squats 5@30kg/47.5kg/62.5kg, 5x5@72.5kg
OH Press 4,4,3,3,3 @ 37.5kg
Deadlift 1x5@60kg/75kg/90kg
Pull-ups 2, 2 (then 1 from standing), 0 (2 from standing), 10 negatives
Prone Bridge 3x70s (kicking each knee for 20s)

Squats starting to get hard. Overhead press forgot to warm up, technique was terrible. Pull-ups frustrating as always. Got the prone bridges, but was hard kicking my right knee cause of groin pain on the left side. Eating's been bad haven't put on much weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:59 pm 
Elephant

Workout #23
Wed 29th July 2009

Squats 5@35kg/50kg, 3@65kg, 5/3@75kg
Bench Press 5@35kg/42.5kg, 5x5@47.5kg
Inverted Rows 14, 8 (4 with flat feet), 8 (3 with flat feet)
Push-ups 14, 9, 7 (2 on knees)
Reverse Crunch 3x12 (1kg counter weight)

What a horrid workout.
I mentionned I had groin pain from doing squats 1-2 weeks ago and said I was gonna miss Squats for a workout to try and recover. The idea behind that was so that the disaster that happened today wouldn't occur (I didn't take the break). As soon as I started the warm up sets I knew it was gonna be a bad day. I was tired, hungry, working out earlier than usual, my nutrition has been crap the last few days. Regardless, with no energy and sore legs I plugged through, and during 2nd set at work weight I couldn't get back up. That's why I use a power rack so safety bars got it. I decided not to go on with Squats, I'm gonna take a break with them till next Monday.

So on top of not taking a break from Squats, I also said I'd take a day to work on my bench technique. Did I do that either, no I didn't. So the first 3 sets at work weight, I was wobbling about like a prick. The last 2 sets sorted out my position, and I was fine.

Inverted rows were the only good thing about this workout! I feel like the planks have been helping my core, felt solid when I was doing the rows.

Push-ups......sheesh. Being tired mixed with the fact the bag I usually put weights in has ripped a bit, I decided to do unweighted push ups today for the first time in quite a while. 14........14 frickin reps for the first set. I'm gonna put this one down to all the reasons above (tired/bad food/blah blah). Still pathetic.

Reverse crunch's I managed, but I was all over the place.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:09 am 
Elephant

Workout #24
Fri 31st July 2009

Squats 3x15@30kg
Overhead Press 5@25kg, 3@32.5kg, 5/4/3/4/3@37.5kg
Deadlift 1x5@65kg/80kg/95kg
Chin-ups 6, 3, 3 (10 negatives)
Prone Bridge 70s (kicking each knee for 15s), 2x60s

Just done light squats today cause of my groin. I couldn't really kick my right knee out during the bridges either so just stayed still. Deadlift was fun =] Overhead press frustrating as always, and chin-ups even more so.

Week 9
Bodyweight=170.4lbs

Workout #25
Mon 3rd August 2009

Squats 5@35kg/55kg/65kg, 5x5@75kg
Bench Press 5@37.5kg/45kg, 4@50kg, 5/5/5/4@47.5kg
Inverted Rows 11, 7 (2 with flat feet), 7 (3 with flat feet)
Push-ups 15, 8, 6 (4 on knees)
Reverse Crunch 3x12 (1.25kg counter weight - using a plate know instead of dumbbell...wasn't adding weight of handle before)

From the first warm up set I knew I was gonna nail the Squats. Took very little rest between sets (just over a minute) compared to normal.
Bench press fail at 1st set, so dropped the weight 2.5kg and continued.
Inverted rows and push-ups were pants. I definitely went to weighted push-ups too early, should've stuck with normal ones for a lot longer.
Reverse crunch's I'm starting to move along the floor a bit while I'm doing them, which is probably down to bad technique.

I'm getting closer to my goal weight, but of course I've added more body fat than muscle which was always planned. When I hit between 175-180lbs, I'll cut back eating a bit, try lose fat and gain muscle while staying in the same weight range.

PS. I STILL haven't started any form of cardio. I need to start tomorrow, or I'm giving myself a kicking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:02 pm 
Rabbit

Brother, i just started this program last week and am still a week away from taking my progression pics but am starting to notice either a little bit of the gains or at least better posture (which i totally need... its like quasi over here, lol)
-How are you doing on the diet portion. Ben reading up on it and theyre saying things like drink a gallon of milk a day! Im thinking, yeah..... right. Hold the pus please? Could you post what your taking in these days?

Looking forward to seeing the buffness. BEHOLD THE BUFFNESS!

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:42 am 
Elephant

I know! What's that all about?....on the stronglifts website it's like Top 10 things to eat. 1. Meat 2. Dairy ....3. Fish....4. Meat! repeat

This is what I've been eating since I started stronglifts - keep in mind i was REALLY skinny before and I haven't minded putting on a bit of bodyfat along the way -
I try to eat every 2 hours, from 8am - 10pm

8am
Big bowl of porridge, banana, glass of soy milk

10am
100g of nuts, piece of fruit

12pm
Baked potato, whole pack of tofu (or meat substitute), veg (usually greens)

2pm
Clif bar

4pm
4 peanut butter sandwiches

6pm
Wholemeal pasta, tin of legumes (any kind), veg

8pm
100g of nuts, piece of fruit

10pm
Oatcakes and peanut butter

Some days I won't have the clif bar and space my meals out more, but they help when you're on the move or don't have time for a bigger meal.
My nutrition plan is a lot less than perfect just now, but it's doing the job I set out for. When I reach between 175-180lbs (started at 152 on Week 1, currently at 170lbs) I'm gonna change my nutrition plan drastically - not sure exactly what yet, but I'll be reducing the fat and increasing raw foods.

The stronglifts program is good. If there's one thing I could say is keep an eye on rest periods between sets. A couple of months in I was taking a lot longer rests and my workout increased my a half hour even though I was doing the same exercises and same quantity just about. Been trying to cut rests down again.

Don't know if you've started one yet, but start a training log. Do it!

If you need more advice talk to the member xCx, he done Stronglifts for a while before switching over to the starting strength program.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:38 am 
Manatee

chewybaws wrote:
Squats 5@35kg/55kg/65kg, 5x5@75kg
From the first warm up set I knew I was gonna nail the Squats. Took very little rest between sets (just over a minute) compared to normal.

YEAH BUDDY! glad your pain free and squatting heavy again!

chewybaws wrote:
PS. I STILL haven't started any form of cardio. I need to start tomorrow, or I'm giving myself a kicking.

Seriously, do barbell complexes! They're "fun" and you don't have to sissy around on a treadmill or elliptical trainer :wink: I'll PM you some decent complexes if you get interested :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:53 pm 
Elephant

xCx wrote:
chewybaws wrote:

Seriously, do barbell complexes! They're "fun" and you don't have to sissy around on a treadmill or elliptical trainer :wink: I'll PM you some decent complexes if you get interested :)

I think I should! I actually did something today. But I'm too embarassed to say what it was (30 mins on Wii Fit - terrible). Yeah PM us the routines. It'll be fun learning new exercises.....I don't know many outside of the stronglifts ones. Plus it'll further justify me buying home equipment if I can use it more :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:44 am 
Elephant

Workout #26
Wed 5th August 2009

Squats 5@40kg/57.5kg/67.5kg, 5x5@77.5kg
OH Press 5@25kg/30kg, 5x3@37.5kg
Pull-Ups 3x2, 10 negatives (done some pulls from a standing position inbetween as well)
Prone Bridge 3x60s

Woo! Squats over bodyweight now!! That's my first mini goal reached.
Unfortunately everything else sucked horse dong. I'll need to pull the weight back on OH press next workout, try working on technique.
After last Friday's workout, I picked up minor back pain when deadlifting. Today, I set up 70kg for warm-up, the rack pull and lowering it to the ground was fine. But when i went to pick it up from the floor, I couldn't keep a straight back. I done a rep then just racked it, I didn't want to make my back worse. Need to order some 25kg plates, so the bars not ridiculously low.
Prone bridges were so-so. Next week I'm gonna try side planks too.

Stoked about the squats, but was soooo tired after them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:41 pm 
Rabbit

Brother, good choice with foregoing the deads, i did the same thing with inverted rows today at my workout since i hurt my neck on tuesday. I just did some upright cable rows instead and didnt get the pump that i was looking for but know my body thanked me for it.

AWESOME on the squats too. I put on ten more lbs myself today. I was a bit worried but i felt so good after and i know you did too. Also, side planks are awesome! Side bends are also really good too if your looking for some more flexion, or an addition to the workout A ab work. Stay strong!

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:07 pm 
Elephant

Workout #27
Fri 7th August 2009

Squats 5/8/4@45kg (left leg fail)
Bench Press 5@35kg/42.5kg, 5x5@47.5kg
Inverted Rows 13, 12, 8
Push-ups 12, 11, 7 (4 knees) - pathetic
Reverse Crunch 3x12 (used a 2.5kg counter)

I don't think I'd fully recovered before Squatting again, I'm gonna take a full week off Squats. This may sound stupid but even when I'm doing something standing on just my left leg (eg. putting boxers/trousers on when standing up) my left thigh/knee hurts. At least I'll be able to tell when this goes away.
Bench press I decided just to use the same weight I managed before at 5x5, 50kg seemed way too heavy last workout. Will attempt it again next Wednesday.
Inverted rows - only good thing about this workout.
Push-ups - don't want to go there haha.
Reverse crunch, even though I used more of a counter I was concentrating on form more and got a better burn.

Week 10
Bodyweight=170lbs

Workout #28
Mon 10th August 2009

Overhead Press 5@25kg/30kg, 5/5/3/3/3@37.5kg
Rack Pulls 5@70kg/85kg, 3x5@100kg
Chin-ups 6/4/3 (10 negatives)
Planks 30s normal, 30s side planks each, whole thing x3

I don't know whether to keep trying with the overhead presses, or drop down to 35kg again.
My back felt good today, so tried some rack pulls - concentrating on keeping back arched, and my back felt good afterwards =] Looking forward to getting my 25kg plates.
Chin-ups were good today. I would still like to see 7 on that first set, but they're getting easier.
I was sweating so much after the planks....I didn't really take breaks, just the time positioning myself.

I want this week over as quickly as possible so I can start squatting again. Will look at technique when I start again, need to take some videos. I have this feeling that as the weights are getting heavier i'm having a tendency to lean forward putting my knees to far forwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:00 pm 
Elephant

Workout #29
Wed 12th August 2009

Bench Press 5@40kg/45kg, 5/5/5/4/3@50kg
Inverted Rows 15/9/6
Push-ups 18/10/8
Reverse Crunch 3x12 (1.25kg counter weight)

My knees are feeling better, gonna stick to plan and wait till Monday though make sure it's definitely fine to start squatting again.
Bench press was good today, I'll hit 50kg next time i'm sure :) I set the pegs up a notch today and it was a better position for racking the bar, felt more solid.
For push-ups i've always put down 2 pillows and done them on my knuckles (save my wrists), but today during the first set my hand slipped, luckily I was okay, but any more force and could really have done in my wrist. Will be towels put down from now on haha.
Reverse crunches I really need to work on. As I've been using less counter-weight, I feel my techniques getting worse. I'm not that worried because I still get a good burn, but can be better - next time i'll put something to grip between my thighs/calves to ensure good form.

PS. My 25kg plates came today =D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:08 am 
Elephant

Wooo finally done some cardio. 35mins of jogging/jumping jacks/jumping around to music. sweating buckets! no breaks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:25 am 
Elephant

Workout #30
Fri 14th August 2009

Overhead Press 5@25kg/30kg, 5/5/5/4/5@35kg
Deadlift 1x5@65kg/75kg/80kg/90kg/100kg
Chin ups 2/2/3 (some negatives....was supposed to be pull-ups today. Between doing a bunch of chins in the house yesterday and the deadlifts on my grip, I couldn't do a single pull-up, and barely any chins as shown)
Prone Bridge (30s normal, 30s side plank each side) x3 (except 2nd set could only hold side planks for 15s cause of bad shoulder position)

Looking forward to monday can start Squatting again. I'm not gonna go straight back into work weight, gonna use the whole week to ease myself in, really nail technique.
Overhead press after all the failed attempts at 37.5kg I decided to go back to 35kg - and couldn't do that! Only missed by a rep though...still :oops:
Deadlifts were good =] much better with the bigger plates, changed my grip slightly to have the bar closer to fingers, really concentrated on trying to keep an arched back and lifting my chest. Still needs a lot of practice though. I'll get some videos and look at my technique. Hopefully my back will be okay when I wake up tomorrow.
I couldn't do a pull-up after the deadlifts! Could barely chin either, done a bunch of them throughout the day yesterday.
Prone bridges were okay, still need to get used to the side planks to make sure my shoulder doesn't hurt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 83  Next