Liz's workout log

The gym was closed for the New Year weekend, so no workout on Sunday. Today's workout:

Squat: 130# x6

Calf Press: 380# x 12

Chest Dips: -40# x9

Upright Barbell Row: 45# x12

Barbell Bent-Over Row: 90# x12

Narrow-Grip Chinup: -60# x6

My ribs are feeling much better, so I'm starting to get back into the swing of the upper body exercises.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great numbers on your calf-press and barbell row!

Good to hear your getting better

Thanks! The calf press is just on a leg press machine. I'm getting very close to the max of 410#, though. Then I'll have to figure out what to do, maybe do one leg at a time. I wish I could figure a way to do standing calf raise. Oh, I just had an idea. The gym has one of those belts you can use to add weight to yourself. Maybe I could use that to weight myself and then do one-legged calf raises? The problem I'm trying to solve is that I don't think I could hold enough weight in one hand to make the raise challenging enough.

My back does seem to be pretty strong--I make good progress on my row-type exercises.

On a completely other topic, I have to go for a physical exam for my new job, so I'll get to find out my blood pressure (and my weight--I might close my eyes for that one). I'm looking forward to finding out what it is.

I had a frustrating workout on Thursday night. I felt pretty tired throughout, and I found that although my ribs are all better, my shoulder is still giving me trouble. I don't notice it day to day, but certain movements with weights hurt it. Incline bench seems to be the worst for it.

I could do only 2 squats and was unable to stand up on the third. I reracked and tried again, got out one more rep failed to stand again on the next. That was very frustrating as I had done 6 reps with that weight the previous time. Part of my tiredness might have been due to the fact that it was the beginning of my period. I dunno.

Then when I tried incline presses, my shoulder gave me pain. Not only could I not lift the weights, it was a massive struggle to even hold the left weight in the right position at the bottom. I tried many times, but eventually had to give up and do reps with 25# dumbbells. That was even more frustrating because I had been lifting the 30s for a few weeks, and I hate going backwards like that.

I just realized that I may also have been tired because it was my first week of work after 6 months of unemployment! So I am having to get used to getting up earlier and putting in 8 hours and all that rather than relaxing at home... so perhaps this decrease in sleep and increase in daily exertion (mostly mental as my job is not at all physically demanding) slowed my recovery from Tuesday.

Anyway, here's what I ended up with.

Squats: 130# x3

Calf Press: 390# x12

Incline Dumbell Press: 25# (ea.) x10 (after many attempts at 30#)

Rear Delt Row: 70# x10

One-Arm Dumbell Row: 50# x12

Wide-grip Pullup: -70# x4

Tuesday's workout:

Squat: 130# x9

Calf Press: 410# x 12

Chest Dips: -40# x12

Upright Barbell Row: 50# x5

Barbell Bent-Over Row: 95# x8

Narrow-Grip Chinup: -60# x7

Oh, my blood pressure was 116/70. As soon as I have health insurance, I am going for a check up and will get blood work done. I am curious about my cholesterol. Both my parents have high levels, my mom esp.

Today I tested my 1RM on squat and bench--that's why it's not my usual workout for those exercises.

Squat: 45# x6, 140# x1, 150# x1, (fail at 155#), 135# x3

Calf Press: 410# x 14

BB Bench Press: 45# x6, 85# x1, (fail at 90#), 75# x2

Barbell Shoulder Press: 55# x8

Cable Row: 95# x12

Lat Pulldown 90# x12

So my 1RMs were

Squat: 150/68.2

Bench: 85/38.6

I still have slight shoulder problems on bench and the heavy weight really made me feel it. Perhaps when that is all healed I'll do better on my 1RM.

Yay! Finally did deadlifting. I think my form was pretty good, too.

Deadlift: 95# x12

Calf Press: 410# x14

Chest Dips: -30# x4

Upright Barbell Row: 50# x5

Barbell Bent-Over Row: 95# x10

Narrow-Grip Chinup: -60# x12

God I hate upright barbell row! Maybe I should drop it or try a different shoulder exercise there. UBR really hurts my shoulder.

I didn't work out on Thurs as it was Katrina's birthday and we had a dinner out for her. It was pretty cool--we chose an all-vegetarian restaurant. There were 20 of us, and I thought it was great that we supported the restaurant and that no one ate any meat at K's birthday. A lot of their food was vegan, so most people ended up with a vegan dish.

Anyway, I did work out today, and here's what I did.

Squats: 135# x6

Calf Press: 410# x15

Incline Dumbell Press: 30# (ea.) x8

One-Arm Dumbell Row: 55# x8

Wide-grip Pullup: -70# x6

I realize that I don't report anything other than my weightlifting. I'll start reporting any other exercise as well.

Yesterday I went for a mountain bike ride, 2 hours. The ground slowly thawed over the course of our ride and by the last half it was quite muddy, which made pedaling more difficult.

Today I went to the gym.

Deadlift: 100# x12

Chest Dips: -30# x6

Upright Barbell Row: 50# x6

Barbell Bent-Over Row: 95# x12

Narrow-Grip Chinup: -50# x5

Went to the gym today and had a pretty lackluster workout. I blame it on the fact that I went alone rather than with my workout buddy. Working out with someone else is quite motivating.

Squats: 135# x6

Incline Dumbell Press: 30# (ea.) x9

One-Arm Dumbell Row: 55# x8

Wide-grip Pullup: -70# x6

Hi, FormicaLinoleum,

(love your moniker; reminds me of my childhood: We had a linoleum kitchen floor )

When you do your squats, what kind of weights are you holding?

And what exactly are squats doing for you? Or maybe, "why do you do them?" is a better question. Is it strength?

I didn't work out last Sunday or Tuesday. On Tues night I went out for a little run instead. But Thurs I got back to the gym. Here's what I did.

Deadlift: 105# x12

Calf Press: 410# x16

Chest Dips: -30# x6

Upright Barbell Row: 50# x8

Barbell Bent-Over Row: 100# x6

Narrow-Grip Chinup: -50# x6

Deadlifts are feeling pretty good. The last time I tried them, last year, I had form troubles, but this time I feel like my form is good even though I am lifting more weight. I don't think I have reached my limit--I've been reaching 12 reps pretty easily each time. Maybe I will test my 1RM soon. Perhaps that will give me a good idea of where to start for reps.

On the upright barbell row I really concentrated on leading with my elbows and that made my shoulder hurt less.

I was supposed to work out on Sunday but it had snowed overnight and the University closed. Instead I went to our fitness room here in the building and did the eliptical for about 15 minutes and then played around on their multistation gym thingy. I didn't keep track of what I did since it was all machine stuff and not my usual routine.

Off to the gym tonight, very soon.

My workout partner finally resurfaced and we went to the gym together last night. I have not been going as regularly as I should for the past 2 weeks, so it was not a brilliant workout.

Squats: 135# x4

Calf Press: 410# x12

Incline Dumbell Press: 30# (ea.) x9

One-Arm Dumbell Row: 55# x7

Wide-grip Pullup: -70# x7

We are thinking of switching things up a bit, maybe doing a different rep plan.