Is This A Good Training Log "Template"?

After much research, I have developed what I consider to be a very efficient and effective Strength Training Log template. I’ve incorporated the “Stronglifts” system of 5 X 5, though I like to mix it up and sometimes just do 3 X 10. Just to clarify, each exercise consists of 5 blocks to record weight and reps, and columns go left to right each new day- for instance: Columns C through G on Bench is ONE day, then H through L is the next time Chest is done on another day. This way, you can see the progression each few days/week. Make sense?

I would love any feedback/suggestions. I’ve basically made it a compound-exercise routine, predominantly, with some isolation exercises mixed in, but would love any advice on more exercises to add in or let me know if any of the sections have conflicting exercises on the same day (body-part wise), etc.

Also, I only do one section a day, like "Chest" or "Arms" and I'm usually pretty beat at the end, so I feel like I'm getting a good workout- do these seem like enough exercises per day, per section? Do you do more/less?

843917753_LogPic.thumb.jpg.f61aec69b643a4ca6cef1d5c208f55b8.jpg

Is there a reason why you have the two largest muscle groups in the body on the same day? Not to be critical, but your leg back day is what I would do over three days, quads, hams, and back.

Well, I just put them together because they seem to go hand in hand without really conflicting with each other (or so I thought). Is it not a good idea to do it this way? I have no problem separating them- it just seemed like a good fit because I don't have many exercises to do for each group.

Also, I don't really work those parts as hard as I could because I don't have the means to do them safely (squat rack; spotter) and I'm always nervous when it comes to my back. I do, however, feel that I get a pretty good workout, regardless.

So, could you recommend a good routine for quads, hams and back on separate days that would be a full workout? All I have for equipment is a bench w/leg-lift extension and a "Power Tower" which I can use for dips, pull-ups and chin-ups, push-ups, ab exercises and I actually use the "arms" on it to hold my barbell when I do squats (not the safest way to do them, but it more than supports the weight).

Not sure what you mean on the squats. It sounds like you are a new lifter, and this is your first program. If you do legs in one day that is probably okay. Not the best, but okay. Taking two major muscle groups and lifting them together is a bad idea unless you are getting a lot of help from some serious anabolics. Your body just cannot recover fast enough.

Try something like this:

Day 1: Back/Bi's

Day 2: Quads/calves

Day 3: Off

Day 4: Chest/Triceps

Day 5: Ams/calves

Day 6: Shoulders and abs

Day 7: Off

There are a lot of ways to break up the body. I have used one body part day six days a week with huge success. So did a number of great bodybuilders.

Quads

Chest

Back

Shoulders

Arms

Hams

Off

It is easy to remember and you have some fun short days like shoulders and Arms thrown in

Not sure what you mean on the squats. It sounds like you are a new lifter, and this is your first program. If you do legs in one day that is probably okay. Not the best, but okay. Taking two major muscle groups and lifting them together is a bad idea unless you are getting a lot of help from some serious anabolics. Your body just cannot recover fast enough.

Try something like this:

Day 1: Back/Bi's

Day 2: Quads/calves

Day 3: Off

Day 4: Chest/Triceps

Day 5: Ams/calves

Day 6: Shoulders and abs

Day 7: Off

There are a lot of ways to break up the body. I have used one body part day six days a week with huge success. So did a number of great bodybuilders.

Quads

Chest

Back

Shoulders

Arms

Hams

Off

It is easy to remember and you have some fun short days like shoulders and Arms thrown in

To clarify on the squats: I don't have a squat rack, but I have a piece of equipment that I can rest the barbell on that is about the right starting height. I can get under the bar and perform the squat, but I don’t have a safety “catch” or a spotter, so I have to lift with less weight to be on the safe side. I can go up to about 250 lbs, so it’s not too bad.

So, yeah, I never really reach “failure” when I do squats, or even dead-lifts, which is maybe why I can do them on the same day. I realize that I won’t get as much of a benefit this way, but I have to be safe. I did my back/leg routine 2 days ago and I’m still feeling it, so that tells me that I am getting at least a little “something” from my workouts, right?

As for anabolics, I only use creatine and glutamine along with NO Xplode; pre-workout drink. I am, however, trying “Precision Engineered Perfect Storm” today. It has creatine, amino acids, carbs and insulin-spike. It’s new and I haven’t been able to find much info online about it, but it sounds like a helpful supplement (but how safe, I don’t know). Any recommendations on supplements?

• 2 weeks later...

I never use a spotter on squats, and I hate squating in a cage. Just forget it and squat. And no I don't use Smith Machines either, almost worthless. And no I usually don't use a spot for anything else. Your worst case with the squat is you dump the weight. No worries. I have fallen on my ass with three plates. You won't be the last guy if it happens. Also failure may not be necessary. Drop your weight. I doubt you are hitting rock bottom squats with 250 as a novice. More likely you are hitting strong range partials. Start with full range of motion. It takes less weight and supports your safety concerns. Getting a concentrated good muscle contraction is. Pain is really not a measure of efficacy. One thing, however, if you want some serious size, divide this thing up, and stop trying to hit 75% of the bodies muscle mass on day one, then hitting the remaining 25% over three days. And lift heavy consistently.

I never use a spotter on squats, and I hate squating in a cage. Just forget it and squat. And no I don't use Smith Machines either, almost worthless. And no I usually don't use a spot for anything else. Your worst case with the squat is you dump the weight. No worries. I have fallen on my ass with three plates. You won't be the last guy if it happens. Also failure may not be necessary. Drop your weight. I doubt you are hitting rock bottom squats with 250 as a novice. More likely you are hitting strong range partials. Start with full range of motion. It takes less weight and supports your safety concerns. Getting a concentrated good muscle contraction is. Pain is really not a measure of efficacy. One thing, however, if you want some serious size, divide this thing up, and stop trying to hit 75% of the bodies muscle mass on day one, then hitting the remaining 25% over three days. And lift heavy consistently.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean about "stop trying to hit 75% of the bodies muscle mass on day one, then hitting the remaining 25% over three days"? Are you saying that the back is 75% of the mass of the body, and chest, arms, legs, etc. are the other 25%?