Hayley's adventures in O-town

Yesterday got back from my trip up North for my cousins wedding. The whole four days went quite well, a lot better than expected since i was with family.

On Friday the friend that was supposed to take us to the airport at 4am bailed, so my brother took us instead. We arrived at the Philadelphia international airport around 9am. We were kept pretty busy from the time we got there until we left.

Between meeting all of the bridal party, and going to different events before the wedding it was a busy 4 days. My brother was quite a hit at the rehearsal dinner when he donned the wedding veil. I also got some time to visit my grandmother and my aunts. The wedding went off without a hitch, and was actually quite beautiful. But I think I'll elope if I ever get married.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are going well. This is why.

* Last week I managed almost 5 continuous minutes of squatting with 50 lbs on a barbell.

This had to be at the top of my list!

* At work I am still getting enough hours, always a plus!

* Even with the hectic schedule, i am still getting in really good workouts

* I am not gaining weight, I am losing, a little bit at least

* Living in a place near work, temporarily, and not near my brother! Don't get me wrong, i love my family, but I don't want to live with them anymore

* Someone wants to buy me a bike, which is so nice

Anyway the only minus right now is that I can't go to the AR convention in LA. I will in fact be dogsitting/housesitting for that week. So at least I will have two very lovable doggies to cheer me up.

• 2 months later...

Wow! No updates in this since the end of June, I really do live a dull life. Hopefully that's all about to change though. I've recently been getting more involved with an animal rights group. One of the members at my gym is a vegan, and is being quite adamant about my getting involved, lol. So last Sunday I went to an animal sanctuary in Ocala, Florida. I met some pigs, cows, sheep, goats, dogs, cats, horses, donkeys, chickens, roosters, turkeys, and probably some other animals I'm currently forgetting. It was smelly, rofl! I can't help it, I have a good nose! Anyway the animals were great, as all animals are, and the people that owned Kindred Spirits Animal Sanctuary were very nice, they even made us a vegan cake. Anyway there wasn't too much that they needed help with. Most of us just walked around the pig areas, and picked up trash, anything that wasn't natural. Most of it was from when people fed the animals and plastic or paper might fall to the ground. Some of us are planning on going back to volunteer for real. This will probably be in a month or two when the weather is a bit cooler.

I also joined a book club that some people that I know are a part of. We met Sunday night, talked about a book for five minutes, then talked,debated politics for 55 minutes.

This week I also had it with my long hair and got it cut really short. It looks quite nice, but also in a way is quite extreme for me. It definietly makes me look different, and everyone at my gym noticed! I'm very happy with this new style, which is a first for me, usually I hate short hair on myself. I think perhaps it was a shock to people as I don't ever act out of the ordinary, and this was quite a drastic change. I can't really explain the cut, it's short, and kind of spiky. I've never used hair poducts like gels, and sprays before, but now I need to find some animal friendly products. I also need to call the stylist and have her tell me again what I need to do to get the desired look.

Some interesting stuff is going on where I work. We are having a new competion of sorts. It is following along with a central Florida event where two teams of people compete against each other to lose the most weight, and get more healthy. KIind of like the Biggest Loser show. I was watching an hour program last night on tv and the first person they talked about was put on a vegan diet. I thought this was quite interesting, but then I remembered that Florida Hospital was started by Seventh day Adventists that are generally vegetarians. Anyway this program is nice because it may actually end up benefiting people. Its also good because it is going on during the holiday season. I will be in charge of 2 teams, but I'm really just there for maral support, and to answer any questions people may have. The program has already been planned, all people need to do is follow it to the best of their ability. Each week has a theme, it'll be interesting to hear what they have to say about nutrition. Besides this there isn't much going on. I am almost done an article for my next assignment in my writing course. It is on being vegan, fit and healthy. Anyway I'm not actually submitting it to a magazine I'm just sending the first part in for my assignment, then my next assignment I will finish the article, and send that part in. I don't usually write nonfiction, but I couldn't help myself this time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not doing that much today even though it's my birthday. but I did find out something kind of cool! Tonight there's going to be a meteor shower from Halley's Comet this only happens every 75 years. So I'll be waking up early for work and watching some of it. One news source said there would be over 60 meteors an hour. Other than this I'm just going out to Etho's and I don't have to pay!

It was too cloudy to see anything. The news said it was supposed to be from 1-5am. So I woke up at 3am, looked out the window at the sky for about 15 minutes but all I could see were clouds. Just because I couldn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen though! I'm sure somewhere in the world someone had a good view of the meteor shower, and maybe they some pics of it too.

• 3 months later...

Ok since October 2009 what have I been doing outside of the gym? Not that anyone really cares, but this is my blog so I can blog all I want to!

Been to an animal sanctuary in Ocala, Florida 3 times. The couple that runs it is super nice, and not just to their rescued animals.

The holiday season was a blur. I was busy working, and trying to find a house or condo to buy. Still working on that deal, but hoping that a short sale that I really like goes through and I get it.

The house that I was house sitting for just had their estate sale, so now I won't be staying there anymore. So that means more commuting back and forth from Winter Park, and I won't be riding my bike that far at 4 am! Not much else to say, everything else in my life has to do with the gym, and being vegan.

• 2 months later...

ok, I did write in this a couple of weeks back, but evidently it wasn't saved. Done a lot and been through a lot since February 2010!

A short recap is I did not get the house it fell through, as this wonderful economy keeps throwing me nice surprises like changing credit scores etc. That's all I'll say about that But I did end up renting a studio Downtown, and everyone that's visited has said that it looks real nice, and is pretty big for a studio. I had two friends and animal lovers help me move. The whole process including taking back the U-Haul only took 3 hours. Is that a record? My brother finally got his divorce after being seperated nearly 3 years. The judge did not like how juvenile my brothers ex was, and she really didn't like the fact that she took them away from their dad for 3 monthsn when this all began in June 2007. So my brother is the custodial parent, which basically means he was awarded full custody but the court system doesn't want people to think that they might actually give full custody to a parent, so they don't use that term now at least that's how I understand it.

Just last week I visited a different animal sanctuar which is a lot closer. The lady that runs the place is a dog whisperer, she's written an book, and is pretty cool. There are wolf dogs there because people are stupid enough to breed wolves, and dogs together, then they can't handle them they go to the pound and then this animal sanctuary rescues them, and they get rehabilitated and sometimes adopted. The first time we met about 25 dogs, 6 of them being wolf-dogs. The first 2 were pretty big, and she told us we could go in the cage with her. I was a bit nervous but went in, and let me just say these two wolf-dogs were more obedient and better at listening than any dog I have had. The puppies were so cute, I wanted to take them home with me, but somehow I think my landlord might not appreciate suddenly having 5 puppies in a studio apartmwnt. The second time we went I ended up helping clean the cat room. That was about it since we are not yet allowed in the dog cages by ourselves.

• 4 weeks later...

Been going through a lot lately, some of it good, some not so good.

Lets see where do I start?

I got my own studio apartment, well actually it's more like a one bedroom apartment in the Downtown vicinity. Loving it, but its also costing me more money. But this was expected of course. Don't have a bed yet, but am working on getting 2 shelves, a queen bed, and a couple of other knickknacks from an acquaintance that is moving. I still have to buy things like towels, silverware, etc. I really don't want used dishes, cookware, because of my being vegan. And I'm not really into using someones used towels, even if they are washed. I guess that either makes me a snob, or just somewhat picky.

I don't have a vehicle, but my mom's that I co-signed on has pretty much fallen apart, and not worth keeping. Not going into too much detail it is causing the most financial problems, mainly with the payments. I have learned my lesson, but in order to get a new vehicle and trade this one in I will probably have to co-sign so my family can get another car.

My brother finally went to court for his divorce, and custody of his 2 girls. It was a long day but ended well, he got them, and basically has full ciustody. But the court system doesn't call it that, he is the custodial parent.

I have been going to an animal sanctuary that has cats, dogs, and wolf-dogs. On Thursday I got locked in the cat room, and got to walk 2 lovely dogs. So I think they are getting more used to me. It is amazing this one dog Raja, was very aggressive the first time my smallo group went. The only one that could get near him was the woman that runs the place. Anyway now only about a month or so later the dog is taking treats from us, not barking nearly as much, and just seems so much calmer.

I

Not much going on right now. Going to Boston in 2 weeks! The past 2 weekends I've been getting caught up on VBBF. And I finally finished my last unread post. This has taken me quite some time because I was on an internet hiatus for about 6 months or so, and couldn't stay updated on everything VBBF. Hopefully that will never happen again!

• 3 months later...

I always foget about this blog that I created. Boston last June was of course absolutely fantasticn! I've been contemplating my life and where I am for quite some time now. So I have 99 percent decided to apply for college, and am planning on getting a BA in some liberal arts coarse, hav en't decided which yet. This has all come about because well quite honestly I'm tired of low paying jobs. I'm worthy of getting a college degree and I'm going for it. I also think that if I had gone 10 years ago it would have been awfully difficult to find vewgetarian items on the menu. Now I am told at the college that I want to attend that they have quite a few vegans, and therefore quite a few options. Only other problem is that I don't drive and it's kind of a remote place. But there is a town about 4 miles away, and there were tons of bikes in photos of the campus that I saw. This decision also has a lot to do with work. My hours are being cut, the Y does this at this time of year which sucks, as it is right before the holiday season. So with less hours, less money, and more worry I would not be able to afford my own place. If I got another job, combined with everything else in my life I just wouldn't be able to concentrate 100% on my college application proces. This needs my undivided attention. So I will be forced to move back in with my family, yikes! But if this happens I will start college as soon as I can, probably Winter, or Spring semester. Well this is my update!

Also just got an annual pass to Universal. I've been there twice so far. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was awesome. So was the Mummy rollercoast, might have to make Robert go on that when he visits. I just remember how much he said he loves roller coasters, lol. The Sinpsons ride was probably the most fun, which quite surprised me. I also liked MIB, Jurassic Park, and ET. Have to get better at riding roller coasters though. I don't have to look like I'm about to perish!

What am I doing????? For lots of different reasons I am leaving my place of employment for the past 2 years. I am embarking on a new adventure called applying for college. My decision didn't come easily, and came as a shock to a good friend. Anyway I believe in my heart that this is the right step for me. With hours being cut at work I can no longer afford my apartment. Well I guess I could possibly scrape by, but it would still be really hard to live any sort of decent life on that small amount of an income. I thought of getting another part time job, or leaving, and finding a full time job, but then I would not be able to give the college application process, and searching financial options 100% of my attention. So this Friday is my last day, and next week I will be busy packing and moving back with my family. THIS IS GOING TO BE HARD TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The main reason I am doing it is financial, I won't have to pay rent, since my family owes me big time. LOL. I won't be penniless either as I do some work for my church, and I babysit for a friend. My biggest concern is of course my vegan diet. Not that I can't do it, but that it won't be as healthy as I've become accustomed to. My brother tends to buy junk food that is undortunately vegan for his 2 kids. Yes not only will my mom be there, but also my brother, his girlfriend, and my 2 nieces. Maybe I'll learn to sleep in the car, except it has leather seats.

Almost forgot, my first choice for a college is in Elsah, Illinois! If I start in the Winter Semester I will be a very cold and frozen Floridian. Today as I told a lot of people at work about my plans they all seemed very happy for my opportunity to advance. But later I heard that they were all telling the front desk lady at the gym how upset they were. Anyway the campus is beautiful it is on the bluffs of the Missouri River, approximately 35 miles from St. Louis. Thye hardest part will be leaving Florida, my friends tell me not to dismiss Rollins College right in my neighborhood. I will see what happens in the next couple of months, and how I feel about leaving.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been busier than ever since leaving work! More time on my hands of course, but that time is all being used. This week I am submitting my application to the college that I really really want to attend. It is through my church, so the odds of getting in are in my favor. The next couple of weeks will be even busier! Next week is my birthday, the next day R.C. arrives, and Saturday 23rd is Veg Fest. The next week will be full of work outs I am sure! Then on the 27 I am going to St. Pete/Tampa for a hockey game, and to see a person I know that is conducting the Florida Orchestra. Then of course there is Halloween!

I made a major mistake moving back in with my family. My mom, and my two nieces are fine, but it's my brother and his 18 year old girlfriend that are not! I have never had anyone disrespect me, or heard anyone disrespect my mom the way that my brothers girlfriend does. About a week or so ago she did this just to me, and I told her nicely, or at least nicer than she was acting to not talk to me that way. She then informed me that she could talk to me however she liked because she makes more money than I do. I was in shock, and still wasn't over the whole scene. Then tonight after my mom picked up my two nieces at daycare and I was also in the car, traffic was a nightmare. It literally took 2 hours to go the span of 4 miles or so. There was a big accident on the freeway, and the backup was for miles. Anyway my brother didn't say much, but wasn't happy that we were going back out to the gym. Then she starts in about always going out every night this week. I said it's only Tuesday, well she didn't like that. It seems that things are fine when they need money, but now that they are both working they don't need us for anything. Well my mom is just about as fed up as me, and it takes a lot for that to happen. At least I gave it my all in Body Pump, I know the instructor who is also a friend knew I was upset about something, so I took it out on the barbell! The start of the day was great though, and neither my mom nor me said or did anyhting to warrant that kind of mean hateful behavior. I submitted the application for my top college choice. So I was in a good mood.

I think eerything might be alright after all. My brothers gf sincerely apologized, she nwas very upset with herself. I mean when she was yelling at us we had neighbors looking a bit concerned. Anyway I will give her another chance, and hopefully that'll be that!

Well today is my birthday. Not really sure what to expect. I'm going to breakfast with my mom- Drunken Monkey of course! Later today we'll pick up my vegan birthday cake which sounds out of this world. The vegan bakery that opened this year has over 1,000 flavors, I looked at the short list of flavors. Decided on a chocolate marzapan mocha cake with chocolate butter cream icing. The woman also said she doesn't dump loads of sugar on everything so I don't think it will be sickeningly sweet. We shall see. Of course I'm buying my own birthday cake, but at least I'm getting one!

Oh yeah Robert might get to Orlando today too! But that will probably be late tonight! If memory serves me corectly the estimated travel time from South Carolina to Orlando will be around 11 hours or so. 5 hours for SC, 3-4 for Georgia, then around 3 from Jacksonville to Orlando. I've traveled a few times from DE- FL with my family.

I did get a birthday gift after all! Robert got here Wednesday evening, and we caught up at Etho's Vegan kitchen.

On Thursday we trained at a gym, and then went to Garden cafe, and then checked out the Central Florida Veg Fest preview party. It was alright, but not many people. The person that organized the event didn't even know we were there! That was kind of funny. I'm not sure what to say about the entertainment/music. Uhm, it was entertaining?

Tonight Orlando is having its first vegandrinks meetup at 7pm. I don't know if we should have had that the night before Veg Fest. I don't want to see vendors tomorrow not being able to function.

Veg Fest was today and it was awesome! Got to park at 8, helped Robert unload car, and set up. Then I helped a bit at some other areas. I walked around quite a bit, but I didn;t buy any cupcakes. My mom and I shared lunch from the Etho's tent, and Drunken Monkey. I had half a fake meatbalol sub, half a bowl of vegan mac and cheese, half a steaz, and one dessert berry tart thing.

Later on I walked around and ended up buying a vegan pumpkin icecream. It was good but not too much. I helped at the Veganbodybuilding booth, and let Robert take bathroom breaks. At six we headed to the gym to train legs! Read my other blog for the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to St. pete Florida last week.at Walking was pretty much the extent of my exercise and constantly too. Not much in the way of vegan food either, but my mom and I managed. We ate a lot of carbs that were vegan, like veggie subs with vegetables, and oil and vinegar, tomato pies, etc. We had a few luna bars that we ate in the morning, and the inn that we stayed at had fruit at their complimentary breakfast. The last day we found out the inn had a microwave so we bought vegan pot pies at a health food store near the Gulf coast. the beach was nice, more walking!

Awesome hockey game Wednesday night! Lightning defeated the penguins!!!! 5-3. Got some pics from my fifth row seats but they don't do the Lightning team justice. Martin St. Louis just flew down the ice every time he skated. Stamkos, Lecavalier, and the goalie Ellis were great as usual, actually there wasn't a player on the Lightning that didn't play their best. The Tampa Bay Lightning are also all very good looking guys, and I'm sure half their audience was female.

Thursday I went to see the Florida Orchestra, and the guest conductor. The Conductor was very entertaining, and worked hard. The theme was the Sorcerers Apprentice, and some of the music got quite spooky. I knew the guy conducting through my church, I met him at a church event where he conducted our hymn sing. Anyway he isn't old, he's in good shape, and nice, so why wouldn't I want to go see a cute young guy conduct an orchestra! Lol. Back to the music there was music from Psycho, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Harry Potter, some witch story, and lots of other creepy music. It was in a word spooktacular!