food 9/21: 4461 cals, 209.7g prot, 61/22/17

9/22: 4402 cals, 203.9g prot, 53/30/17

yeah i said fuck the haterz, imma get my caloric surplus

9/23/09

Squat: 60.8kg 5x5

Bench Press: 57.6kg 5,5,5,4,3

Elevated Rows: 8,6,5

Dips: 11,10,9

Squats: Ok, I was squatting doing my thing when after my 2nd or 3rd set this older guy comes up and starts talking to me/giving me advice. Most of his advice was directly opposed to what I've learned on my own, but I indulged him and tried to explain why I thought otherwise. I think I was lending him more credence cause he's a real life coach (so he said) rather than an on the internet coach, but I soon found this didn't make him any more right. He got under my work set and proceded to pump out like 8 or 9 reps without warming up. I guess this was supposed to impress me, but he was doing high bar quarter squats I cut it pretty short after that, but in the end he took about 15 minutes of my time.

Bench press: Started out good but I could feel myself running out of energy as I got on. I tried Dave Tate's advices and it felt a lot more solid but I think I need to set my knees/legs a bit more solid next time cause one would start shaking or twitching.

Elevated Rows/Dips: Yeah, pretty drained by this point > sub par sets.

Reverse Crunches: First exercise I've skipped, but it would have been almost worthless to try. Will do them later today.

edit: Reverse Crunches 3x12, 7lb counter. Had to cheat a bit, will go back to 10 next time.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

food 9/23: 4146 cals, 194.3g prot, 55/28/17

9/24: 4122 cals, 195.2g prot, 61/21/17

9/25/09

Squats: 65.4kg 5x5

Press: 38kg 5,5,5,3,3

Deadlift: 97.4kg 1x5

Chinups: 11,8,6

Prone Bridges: 3x30s w/ medicine ball

Squats: Yes, starting to get challenging again. Will probs add 2.5kg/session from here. Forgot how much a good squat sesh can add to a workout.

Press: Not bad, not bad at all..

Deadlift: Felt even better than last time. Looking forward to putting two big plates on either side next time

Chinups: Good, but I was getting pretty tired by this point. This time not from lack of energy, just general fatigue.

All in all, awesome workout. I weighed 140lbs when I woke up this morning, which was my first mini goal. I've honestly never weighed this much before o:

food 9/25: 4614 cals, 223.5g prot, 57/26/18

9/26: 4432 cals, 200.5g prot, 55/29/17

9/27: 4035 cals, 184.3g prot, 58/25/17

9/28/09

Bodyweight: 141.7lbs

Squat: 67.5kg 3x5

Bench Press: 57.5kg 5x5

Elevated Rows: 7,7,6

Dips: 14,10,8

Reverse Crunches: 3x12, 10lb counter

Squats kind of hurt in my leg on the way up today. Not the lame leg as before, but same place. Gonna have to rereassess my form. Might also try going to the gym a little later in the day rather than in the morning. Don't know what was up with the rows. I'm trying to get more but I'm also thinking I'd rather start learning power cleans.

food 9/30: 3693 cals, 161.6g prot, 56/28/16

10/1: 3974 cals, 181.4g prot, 55/28/17

^may be low, my internet's been down and i kinda lost track

10/2/09

Bench Press: 60.8kg 5,4,3,2,2

Elevated Rows: 8,7

Dips: 15,12,10

Reverse Crunches: 3x12, 10lb counter

Took a day off squats to give my leg a rest.

Bench Press: Fuck, those extra 3kg are heavy.

Elevated Rows: I swear, I feel like I'm losing strength on these. I didn't do the last set cause I had a chance to get some free o-lift instructions from a trainer. Think I got a better workout out of that anyway.

Dips: 15 again, gonna throw some weight on and do 3x5 from now.

Reverse Crunches: Pretty easy, probs go to 7.5 lbs next time.

thanks chewy.

still been kind of lazy tracking my cals so i'm just gonna skip that part. i'd say about a 4100 average.

10/5/09

Bodyweight: 142.5lbs

Front Squats: 51.6kg 3x5

Press: 38kg 5x5

Deadlift: 106kg 1x5

Chinups: 11,7,7

Front Squats: Decided to switch to front squats for a while since I can't seem to back squat properly. Need to work on wrist flexibility as that seems to be limiting me now.

Press: PR. One thing, the bar felt a lot lighter after racking those front squats on my shoulders.

Deadlift: PR. Could feel/see my grip giving way, I think I'll need to switch to mixed grip next time.

Chinups: Matched my PR, which was good cause I was sweating buckets after DLs.

10/5: 4288 cals, 188.8g prot, 54/30/16

10/6: 4311 cals, 199.2g prot, 54/29/17

10/7/09

Bench Press: 60.8kg 4,3,2,2

Elevated Rows: 6

Dips: 1x10 +15lbs, 2x5 +20lbs

Reverse Crunches: 12,11,9, 7.5lb counter

Squats: Tried out some box squats, was only going to parallel but I don't think I was doing them right.. my leg started hurting once I put some weight on. These are supposed to help with back squat form apparently, and work the post. chain.

Bench Press: I'm thinking of dropping back down to 57.5. This just feels too heavy and I'm not that confident on form.

Elevated Rows: Did that first set then said fuck it and tried out some hang cleans. Just using the bar trying to learn them.

Dips: The weight felt fine. Was mostly just trying it out, gonna start doing it 3x5 or 5x5 soon.

Reverse Crunches: Not bad, gonna work up to doing 3x12 strict before I drop down more.

Overall wasn't such a good workout, don't feel like I did too much muscle building =\

10/9/09

Box Squat: 50kg 5x3

Press: 40kg 5,5,4,4,2

Deadlift: 110.6kg 1x4

Pullups: 8,8,6

Box Squat: Did these to parallel and I think I got 'em about 80% right. Definitely a lot better than last time.

Press: Did pretty good, I think I'll hit it without having to deload.

Deadlift: My form broke down a lot in the 4th rep so I didn't go for another. I'll get it next time.

Pullups: Pretty good, I think I'm going to start doing pullups exclusively now cause I'd rather work the lats than biceps.

Prone Bridges: These are intense, but I can never not do them so maybe I should start going longer or something.

I love B days.

10/12/09

Bodyweight: 144.5lbs

Box Squats: 50kg 3x5

Bench Press: 60.6kg 5,5,5,5,2

Elevated Rows: 9,6,6

Dips: +25lbs, 3x5

Reverse Crunches: 3x12, 7.5lbs

Box Squats: 1" below parallel. Form still not perfect. Might drop to 40 till I can get it right.

Bench Press: Didn't deload and came pretty close. The last rep of the 4th set was slooow. Think I was more ready to deload than increase weight anyway. I'm having trouble keeping my shoulders retracted after the first rep.

Elevated Rows: Did 'em today with the understanding that they're good for me. Sort of supersetted PC exercises in between (clean style shrugs, muscle cleans). I'll stick with the rows till I can lrn 2 power clean.

Dips: Tried a narrower grip on the last set and it felt a lot better.

R. Crunches: Did these pretty good but not perfect. Will stick with the weight next time.

10/14/09

Front Squats: 50kg 3x5

Press: 40kg 3,4,4,3,3

Deadlift: 110.6kg 1x5

Pullups: 7,7,6

Front Squats: Planned on doing box squats but my I could feel my leg hurting so I just did these. Probably should've just given it a rest, but it's hard to see the forest when you're there in the gym.

Press: Don't know what happened the first set, but it didn't get much better from there.

Deadlift: Heavy, but didn't give me too much trouble.

Pullups: Had more in me on the first set but my shoulder started hurting so I stopped. Felt fine the next two sets.

Prone Bridges: Didn't do anything more cause I barely did these.

Took some pics of my back when I got home:

http://shup.com/Shup/228129/1014_back2.JPG

http://shup.com/Shup/228128/1014_back3.JPG

Wish I could flex my right side like I can my left

Those pics are for the back competition yeah?

Deadlift is coming around now which is nice man. My number's were shooting up like yours till I fucked my knee. Hopefully next week I'll be back in the game!

I've been stuck on trying to press 40kg for ages now. It's depressing.

On the other hand my bodyweight exercise reps are going flying up just now as I'm losing weight haha.

nah, just postin' for the fun of it yeah i love deadlifts. it's really frustrating not being able to squat without hurting my legs, but at least they're fine on deadlift. and my bw exercises seem to be stalling as my bw goes up lol. but of course that's not all bad.

10/16/09

Clean Drills

Bench Press: 55kg 5x5

Elevated Rows: 9,6,6

Dips: X

Reverse Crunches: 3x12, 7.5lbs

: These helped a lot. I bruised my thigh and dropped the bar today but I think I've almost got it.

Bench Press: Managed to keep my shoulders back throughout. Trying to tear the bar apart seemed to help.

Elevated Rows: Same as last time, but couldn't manage a rep more. I've been keeping my back a lot tighter the couple workouts.

Dips: Did a couple BW to warm up but once I strapped on the weight (30 lbs) my left shoulder huuurt. Same pain for pullups on Weds. I think this either came from using too wide a grip on these or not keeping my shoulders back on bench press, but I'm fixing both those things now.

Reverse Crunches: First set was a breeze, next two I barely finished (and not without some momentum).

10/19/09

Bodyweight: 145.4lbs

Box Squat: 40kg 6x4

Press: 40kg 5,4,4,4,3

Deadlift: 111.6 1x3

Pullups: 8,6,4

Box Squat: Kept it light. Did half 1" below parallel and half 2" below. Still not sure if I'm taking my quads out of it enough. Thinking about giving reg. squats a go again.

Press: Closer to getting it, but I guess it's time to deload. I've failed 3 times and I can't say I'd be able to get it next time.

Deadlift: This is where that shoulder pain I've been having came from. Didn't feel it until the work set but damn for sure. Think it might be time to fix up my form anyway.

Pullups: Did alright. I was pretty tired after deadlifts, even after resting for some minutes.

10/21/09

Squats: 42.6kg 5x5

Bench Press: 55x4, 51x4, 47.2kg 2x5

Elevated Rows: 10,7,7

Dips: +30lb 1x5

Reverse Crunches: 3x12, 7.5lb counter

Power Cleans: 25kg 3x5

Squats: Fuck me I think I've got it. I've said that before but my problem has always been my knees not being stable, but today I recorded myself and my knees hardly moved and I could keep them pushed out.

Bench Press: Was gonna stick with 55kg to work on form some more, but my shoulder started hurting so I gradually decreased the weight till it didn't. I thought it was from deadlifts but this seems a more likely candidate since I was definitely not retracted my shoulders before.

Elevated Rows: Tied my PR. I'm not sure if I had more energy from the workout being light before but it felt good.

Dips: Tried out a few at BW then with +15, but once I added +30 I felt that pain in my shoulder. Quit afterwards since. It's fading away, I think it should be better by Monday.

Reverse Crunch: Also did good on these. May go down to 5lbs if I have the energy next workout.

Power Cleans: Tacked these on at the end. I'm hoping to gradually do that until I've cleaning a heavy enough weight to replace the rows.

Kind of a light workout, but I think things are starting to come together again.

10/23/09

Squats: 51.6kg 2x5, 47.6kg 2x5, 42.6kg 1x5

Press: 35kg 5x5

Deadlift: 101.6kg 1x5

Pullups: 9,7,5

Squats: 51kg felt heavier than it ever had today. I kept lowering the weight cause I didn't feel in control enough.

Press: Deloaded, but OHPs are never easy.

Deadlift: First 3 I kept my back perfectly rigid, last 2 not so much.

Pullups: Most I've gotten in a few weeks I think.

Prone Bridges: Was planning on doing some power cleans instead, but my biceps were toast from the pullups so I just did these.

Later that day...

http://shup.com/Shup/232240/jeans.jpg

I think I need some new jeans

10/26/09

Bodyweight: 148.0lbs

Squats: 50kg 5x5

Bench Press: X

Elevated Rows: 10,8,7

Dips: 15,14,10

Reverse Crunches: 3x12, 7.5lb counter

Squats: That's more like 50kg, didn't have much trouble at all. I'm still trying to make my new squat form more fluid, right now I kind of do it in parts.

Bench Press: My shoulder started hurting again once I got up to 45kg. I think I'm going to skip BP for the next couple workouts and just do some weighted dips.

Elevated Rows: PR by +1. Could be cause I didn't BP as before.

Dips: Didn't add any weight cause I didn't wanna further aggravate my shoulder, but I'm happy to see I haven't lost any strength since I last went for BW dips. Gained a bit actually.

Reverse Crunches: I think I'm going to drop to 5lb next time even if I can't get 3x12.

Squats: That's more like 50kg, didn't have much trouble at all. I'm still trying to make my new squat form more fluid, right now I kind of do it in parts.

Bench Press: My shoulder started hurting again once I got up to 45kg. I think I'm going to skip BP for the next couple workouts and just do some weighted dips.

Dips: Didn't add any weight cause I didn't wanna further aggravate my shoulder, but I'm happy to see I haven't lost any strength since I last went for BW dips. Gained a bit actually.

Reverse Crunches: I think I'm going to drop to 5lb next time even if I can't get 3x12.

I'm actually doing the exact same weight on Squats as you just now (obviously both deloaded), but doing 3x8 instead. I'm aiming for the same as you - I think I was pausing too much in the down position and that was putting too much pressure on my joints. Trying my best to try to keep everything tight throughout the whole exercise. I would say I need to try and control my speed (doing them real quick just now) - but that will sort itself out as we get heavy again

Sucks about your shoulder man. It's been a couple of workouts, rest it up so you can get to benching heavy again as soon as possible.

I'm actually doing the exact same weight on Squats as you just now (obviously both deloaded), but doing 3x8 instead. I'm aiming for the same as you - I think I was pausing too much in the down position and that was putting too much pressure on my joints. Trying my best to try to keep everything tight throughout the whole exercise. I would say I need to try and control my speed (doing them real quick just now) - but that will sort itself out as we get heavy again

Sucks about your shoulder man. It's been a couple of workouts, rest it up so you can get to benching heavy again as soon as possible.

I swear we're a couple of rehab patients on squats. Feels good just to be doing them again though. Hopefully only heavy weight slows us down this time around On the shoulder, yeah I know, I wasn't expecting it to take this long to heal. But then at first I'd felt it on BP, dips, OHPs, pullups, and deadlifts so it's kind of hard to rest fully. I'm hoping cutting out BP will do it cause that's the only time it really starts to hurt again now. If not, I'll try cutting out dips too. Sucks cause my A days already feel pretty weak.

10/28/09

Squat: 52.5kg 5x5

Press: 37.5kg 5x5

Deadlift: 104kg 1x5

Pullups: 8,6,5

Hang Cleans: 30kg 4x4

Squats: Figure I'll slowly add on the weight and see if things come together. Saw some guy squatting nearly 200kg today, it was sweet.

Press: This was actually easier than last time. Felt like I was moving the bar further back which seemed to help with lockout.

Deadlift: Managed it with overhand grip where I couldn't last time I did this weight. Felt like I kept my back straight.

Pullups: I widened my grip today cause I didn't like how toast my biceps got last time (aiming at the lats). Bit harder, but not bad.

Hang Cleans: Felt a little more natural with some weight on there. Need to work on racking it on my shoulders rather than using my wrists.

Edited by coroho

10/30/09

Squats: 56kg 5x5

Elevated Rows: 10,8,7

Hang Cleans: 30kg 5x3

Reverse Crunches: 9,12,9 5lb counter

urite Chewy, I decided I don't wanna dip heavy unless I can bench heavy so I took the day off from both to rest my shoulder. Woke up yesterday with a bruise on my other shoulder and I was like wtf, then I saw one also on my neck and I was like "ohh, the cleans" lol

11/2/09

Bodyweight: 149.2lbs

Squats: 56kg 3x5

Press: 40kg 5x5

Deadlift: 106.6kg 1x5

Pullups: 6,5,4

Felt awesome to get that press. Deadlift was good. Leg hurt on squats and shoulder felt weird on pullups. Frustrating, thinking of taking 2 weeks off completely to let both of those heal if it keeps up. Figure that would be better than to keep on doing half workouts.

11/4/09

Hang Cleans: 35kg 5x3

Elevated Rows: 7,6,6

Dips: 15,11,10

Reverse Crunches: 12,7,6 5lb counter

Didn't squat. Still couldn't bench. Had to do dips to make it feel worthwhile, but they felt fine.

11/6/09

Press: 42.6kg 5,3,3,3,3

Deadlift: 108.6kg 1x5

Pullups: 4,6,5

Prone Bridges: 2x30s w/ medicine ball

I think I'm going to start adding 1kg increases to OHPs rather than 2.5. It's just too big a jump. Deadlift was really heavy but I recorded myself and had great form (afaik). Had to narrow my grip on pullups to keep my shoulder from popping, which I did after the first set. Probably gonna take those two weeks after this next one.