Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mikkei's New Training Log
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:08 pm 
Manatee

Yeah, that place is looking pretty nice now Robert. I hope you and me can train again. Hopefully you'll be able to come up from Corvallis. If you ever want company down there maybe I could do a vegan workout field trip one day.

This training log now has more posts than my old one did! Score!

Did legs this morning. My back was still funky, so I didn't do free weights since I knew squatting would definitely recruit my back into it.

I did:
Leg Press x 5 sets
Leg Extension x 5 sets
Leg Curl x 5 sets
Walking Lunges with 20# DBs across the gym and back x 4 sets
Hanging Leg Raises x 5 sets

Good workout, short and sweet. I can't friggin' wait till my back feels better so I can squat some more. Last time, I did really deep squats and I think I'm in love with it.

Short video blog update today on my rawness.

Follow Me on Twitter!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:31 pm 
Stegosaurus

bummer that the back is back yet. hopefully soon. I think deep squats (ATG) style are the most effective so happy to hear your going them. awesome keep at it! Superkool u didn't even want your cheat meal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:18 pm 
Manatee

Trained chest today and had a great time.

I did:
Incline Chest Press:
Worked up to 1RM max of 95#
Then, 75# 5 reps x 5 sets
Dumbbell Flat Bench:
30# 5 reps x 5 sets
Dumbbell Flies, Flat Bench:
15# 10-12 reps x 3 sets
Dumbbell Pullovers:
35# 10-12 reps x 3 sets
Machine Incline Press:
3 sets

Here's my video blog update for today. It had comments before I even posted it! Thanks for everyone who is subscribing. Makes me that much more committed! Raaawwww-k it!

Follow Me on Twitter!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:08 pm 
Elephant

mikkei wrote:
Here's my video blog update for today. It had comments before I even posted it! Thanks for everyone who is subscribing. Makes me that much more committed! Raaawwww-k it!

Haha, I came here to comment on it but it wasn't here yet!

D'you have a workout plan, or do you just do what you feel?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:34 pm 
Stegosaurus

I don't think your underweight. I know your much smarter than to listen to what an insurance company tells you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:03 pm 
Manatee

Chewy, thanks for the YouTube comment. Very much appreciated. I don't really stick to a rigid workout routine so yeah, I just do what feels right. I just give each body part the appropriate time to cover and adjust my schedule to allow extra recovery if necessary. Right now I'm doing 5 days a week and using this body part split (but not this order) biceps/back, chest/triceps, shoulders/abs, and legs. On the fifth workout of the week I start over. I used to use the fifth day to hammer out any bodypart that needed extra work, but that always ended up throwing the next week off.

Thanks for the confidence MaryStella. I'll just have to laugh at their definition of health. I can reapply next year for the premium level, so I'll just do a month or two of bulking before that. ;-)

Today I went to the gym at 6am and did:
Shoulder Press @ 30# x 5 sets
Clean and Jerk @ 40#, 70#, 80#, 70#, and 50# (5 sets total)
Decline Crunches with 10# plate x 3 sets
Leg raises x 3 sets
Monster set of:
Lateral DB raises (6-8 reps)
Front DB raises (6-8 reps)
bent over raises (10-12 reps)
vertical DB row (10-12 reps)
all @ 15# for 3 sets total
Hanging leg/knee raises (legs until exhausted, then knees) x 3 sets

Raw Vegan Training Blog for today

Follow Me on Twitter!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:11 pm 
Stegosaurus

Hey Mikkei - loved the last workout. CLEAN & JERKS! nice! Decline crunches and Leg Raises -way to hit it hard!

I often find the health industry standard definition of "health" or "well" laughable. As long as your not sick then your fine.... NOPE! they don't take into consideration pushing fitness pasted what is normal to what else can be achieved and I find that really sad. It is basically saying you should strive for the minimum of not being sick and not work any harder to get any further such as actual good health. So glad you don't buy into that.

I agree with you, cooked food is an addiction. As I am totally addicted I speak from my knowledge. I've flirted with the raw thing several times in the past. I know I should do more of it and everything I can say about it are all excuses for my not doing it. I've found it very hard to stick to and basically allowed myself to just not be ready for it yet. I've read several books, even took classes in food prep on it. Everytime I did it I lost a bunch of weight mostly because I found myself only eating when I was really hungry and stopping as soon as I'm full. I never would eat just because I like the taste or the warmth of the food. Honestly I give you and everyone else who is high raw high credit for doing it. I think it is very healthy and who knows maybe someday I will be ready for it. To be fair I never got super into it with dehydrating, soaking etc. I found once I allowed myself to stray away from 100 percent, where I would only eat one meal that was cooked I pretty much strayed away from it in a few days or a week or so.

Oh and I'm straightedge too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:30 pm 
Manatee

Yeah, this last workout was a ton of fun. My back's feeling better so I'm not constrained in anyway, so I was stoked to go all out.

Very cool that you're interested in the raw food thing. I think it's pretty damn hard myself, so I completely understand people who haven't been able to hang with it. I don't even know if I'll be able to. I lost a lot of weight myself (the first time I went raw in 2008) and was down to 115# from 125# or so. This time, the initial weight loss has only been 3-5# so I think I dealt with most of the super detoxing the first time (I've read that your body stores a ton of toxins in your fat, so you loose a ton when you first go raw).

It makes me really glad that you have a positive opinion on raw food, because I've run into a lot of vegans (even on this forum) who think raw food is a joke. Hopefully that will change in the future.

I also had the same problem as you, if I stray from 100% I loose it pretty quick. One snack turns into 3 cooked meals in a day pretty quick for me. I'm actually contemplating allowing myself some leniency when I visit Los Angeles this Thanksgiving since it's where I had my "vegan childhood", I have a lot of fond food memories that I may want to indulge a little. Still not sure on that. I'm almost more interested in whether or not I can "look into the abyss" of cooked food and make it out without reverting to my old ways completely.

Congrats on being drug free! That made my day.

Follow Me on Twitter!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:59 am 
Site Admin

Sweet dude!

Your training log is rocking!

I'm off to Boston but catch up soon!

Thanks for the promo work for www.veganbodybuildingbook.com ALWAYS appreciate it!

Thanks for the shout outs on Twitter too.......have a great weekend!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:34 am 
Manatee

Thanks man! Have fun in Boston and I'll keep spreading the good word.

Back and Biceps today, 6am.
Back Extensions @bodyweight x 3 sets for warm up
Cable Rows @ 90#: 6-8 reps x 3 sets
EZ Bar Curl @ 45#: (wide, medium, & narrow grip - 15 reps total) x 3 sets
Deadlifts @ 95#: 10 reps x 3 sets
Barbell Row @ 85#: 8-10 reps x 3 sets
Hammer Curls @ 17.5# on one leg: 6-8 reps x 3 sets
Lat Pulldown @ 90#: 6-8 reps x 3 sets
DB Curl @ 15#: 6-8 reps x 3 sets

Raw Vegan Training Log for the day.

Follow Me on Twitter!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:51 am 
Manatee

Video blog update for today. Gym later tonight!

Follow Me on Twitter!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:20 am 
Manatee

No gym yesterday, but did some nice cardio and bodyweight work! Check it out below!

Video Blog Update for day 13...Halloween!

Possibly gym tonight, maybe tomorrow. Planning to hit up legs!

Follow Me on Twitter!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:01 pm 
Elephant

lmao chin-ups in the bathroom stall. That's the one time I'd excuse you to wear gloves!
imagine if someone came in while you were setting up your camera....awkward!

Nice jumps during the burpees. I was just jumping up straight when I was doing them. It's getting from push-up back to squat that kills me. My camera should be here soon! You're making me wanna make vids.

Flaxballz look yummy :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:45 pm 
Manatee

FlaxBalls are definitely delicious. Made some more today. Thinking about having a flaxball-making episode.

Here's yesterday's video blog.

No training today. Very busy, but very bummed. Three days off (Not counting yesterdays pullups, dips, and running).

However, I am very stoked about having my first CrossFit experience this weekend. There is a CrossFit group that gives a free CrossFit class every week in a Portland suburb near my place. I'm very, very stoked to have my ass handed to me.

Follow Me on Twitter!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:03 pm 
Stegosaurus

wow soooo much great stuff in the log.

In my opinion I think people give the raw people a hard time sometimes because there are some claims in the raw community that are a bit over the top (it cures everything that could ever be wrong with you immediately) and it turns people off to it sometimes. I am much better with it in the summer than the winter but I know that is an excuse for the most part.

I try to stay away from all drugs as much as possible. After my shoulder surgery I did take any of the painkillers they gave me because I found ice works well for pain and doesn't mess up your system. Almost everyone thought I was crazy but 2 days after my surgery I was back to working out because I didn't have the drugs to deal with.

anyway I'm the crazy lady that gives out small toys for halloween instead of candy. I just can't bring myself to give candy out. Not that I don't ever eat some myself I just like to give out little decks of different card (old maid, memory) games or playdoh or things like that where it is more of a mind thing that a sugar fest.

I prefer to run to fugazi. that video was so kool loved some of the work you were doing. I love to run stairs I hope you find a place. that is a killer workout.

sooooo your hitting up cf 4 the 1st time!!! I LOVE IT!!! I hope you have a great time. I hope you do a good WOD. Sometimes they make up easier "intro" WODs for the free classes so they don't hurt anyone coming in the first time. I would let them know you already work out and what kind of training you do so your workloads can be scaled appropriately.
I think you will like it because you seem like an intense guy and crossfit is all about intensity. Please let me know your thoughts on it even if you don't like it. I understand it isn't for everyone. Or if you have any questions let me know. Wish I could be there for it because you never forget your first cf wod.

oh and those flax balls are awesome. I've made similar things in the past.

awesome log thanks for putting so much time into it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next