Mikkei's New Training Log

mikkei

Chewy, thanks for the YouTube comment. Very much appreciated. I don't really stick to a rigid workout routine so yeah, I just do what feels right. I just give each body part the appropriate time to cover and adjust my schedule to allow extra recovery if necessary. Right now I'm doing 5 days a week and using this body part split (but not this order) biceps/back, chest/triceps, shoulders/abs, and legs. On the fifth workout of the week I start over. I used to use the fifth day to hammer out any bodypart that needed extra work, but that always ended up throwing the next week off.

Thanks for the confidence MaryStella. I'll just have to laugh at their definition of health. I can reapply next year for the premium level, so I'll just do a month or two of bulking before that.

Today I went to the gym at 6am and did:

Shoulder Press @ 30# x 5 sets

Clean and Jerk @ 40#, 70#, 80#, 70#, and 50# (5 sets total)

Decline Crunches with 10# plate x 3 sets

Leg raises x 3 sets

Monster set of:

Lateral DB raises (6-8 reps)

Front DB raises (6-8 reps)

bent over raises (10-12 reps)

vertical DB row (10-12 reps)

all @ 15# for 3 sets total

Hanging leg/knee raises (legs until exhausted, then knees) x 3 sets

Raw Vegan Training Blog for today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkn2WiH1x_Q

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mikkei - loved the last workout. CLEAN & JERKS! nice! Decline crunches and Leg Raises -way to hit it hard!

I often find the health industry standard definition of "health" or "well" laughable. As long as your not sick then your fine.... NOPE! they don't take into consideration pushing fitness pasted what is normal to what else can be achieved and I find that really sad. It is basically saying you should strive for the minimum of not being sick and not work any harder to get any further such as actual good health. So glad you don't buy into that.

I agree with you, cooked food is an addiction. As I am totally addicted I speak from my knowledge. I've flirted with the raw thing several times in the past. I know I should do more of it and everything I can say about it are all excuses for my not doing it. I've found it very hard to stick to and basically allowed myself to just not be ready for it yet. I've read several books, even took classes in food prep on it. Everytime I did it I lost a bunch of weight mostly because I found myself only eating when I was really hungry and stopping as soon as I'm full. I never would eat just because I like the taste or the warmth of the food. Honestly I give you and everyone else who is high raw high credit for doing it. I think it is very healthy and who knows maybe someday I will be ready for it. To be fair I never got super into it with dehydrating, soaking etc. I found once I allowed myself to stray away from 100 percent, where I would only eat one meal that was cooked I pretty much strayed away from it in a few days or a week or so.

Oh and I'm straightedge too.

Yeah, this last workout was a ton of fun. My back's feeling better so I'm not constrained in anyway, so I was stoked to go all out.

Very cool that you're interested in the raw food thing. I think it's pretty damn hard myself, so I completely understand people who haven't been able to hang with it. I don't even know if I'll be able to. I lost a lot of weight myself (the first time I went raw in 2008) and was down to 115# from 125# or so. This time, the initial weight loss has only been 3-5# so I think I dealt with most of the super detoxing the first time (I've read that your body stores a ton of toxins in your fat, so you loose a ton when you first go raw).

It makes me really glad that you have a positive opinion on raw food, because I've run into a lot of vegans (even on this forum) who think raw food is a joke. Hopefully that will change in the future.

I also had the same problem as you, if I stray from 100% I loose it pretty quick. One snack turns into 3 cooked meals in a day pretty quick for me. I'm actually contemplating allowing myself some leniency when I visit Los Angeles this Thanksgiving since it's where I had my "vegan childhood", I have a lot of fond food memories that I may want to indulge a little. Still not sure on that. I'm almost more interested in whether or not I can "look into the abyss" of cooked food and make it out without reverting to my old ways completely.

Congrats on being drug free! That made my day.

Thanks man! Have fun in Boston and I'll keep spreading the good word.

Back and Biceps today, 6am.

Back Extensions @bodyweight x 3 sets for warm up

Cable Rows @ 90#: 6-8 reps x 3 sets

EZ Bar Curl @ 45#: (wide, medium, & narrow grip - 15 reps total) x 3 sets

Deadlifts @ 95#: 10 reps x 3 sets

Barbell Row @ 85#: 8-10 reps x 3 sets

Hammer Curls @ 17.5# on one leg: 6-8 reps x 3 sets

Lat Pulldown @ 90#: 6-8 reps x 3 sets

DB Curl @ 15#: 6-8 reps x 3 sets

Raw Vegan Training Log for the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgLTqQRsX6U

lmao chin-ups in the bathroom stall. That's the one time I'd excuse you to wear gloves!

imagine if someone came in while you were setting up your camera....awkward!

Nice jumps during the burpees. I was just jumping up straight when I was doing them. It's getting from push-up back to squat that kills me. My camera should be here soon! You're making me wanna make vids.

Flaxballz look yummy

FlaxBalls are definitely delicious. Made some more today. Thinking about having a flaxball-making episode.

Here's yesterday's video blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmH5d2ZqBIs

No training today. Very busy, but very bummed. Three days off (Not counting yesterdays pullups, dips, and running).

However, I am very stoked about having my first CrossFit experience this weekend. There is a CrossFit group that gives a free CrossFit class every week in a Portland suburb near my place. I'm very, very stoked to have my ass handed to me.

wow soooo much great stuff in the log.

In my opinion I think people give the raw people a hard time sometimes because there are some claims in the raw community that are a bit over the top (it cures everything that could ever be wrong with you immediately) and it turns people off to it sometimes. I am much better with it in the summer than the winter but I know that is an excuse for the most part.

I try to stay away from all drugs as much as possible. After my shoulder surgery I did take any of the painkillers they gave me because I found ice works well for pain and doesn't mess up your system. Almost everyone thought I was crazy but 2 days after my surgery I was back to working out because I didn't have the drugs to deal with.

anyway I'm the crazy lady that gives out small toys for halloween instead of candy. I just can't bring myself to give candy out. Not that I don't ever eat some myself I just like to give out little decks of different card (old maid, memory) games or playdoh or things like that where it is more of a mind thing that a sugar fest.

I prefer to run to fugazi. that video was so kool loved some of the work you were doing. I love to run stairs I hope you find a place. that is a killer workout.

sooooo your hitting up cf 4 the 1st time!!! I LOVE IT!!! I hope you have a great time. I hope you do a good WOD. Sometimes they make up easier "intro" WODs for the free classes so they don't hurt anyone coming in the first time. I would let them know you already work out and what kind of training you do so your workloads can be scaled appropriately.

I think you will like it because you seem like an intense guy and crossfit is all about intensity. Please let me know your thoughts on it even if you don't like it. I understand it isn't for everyone. Or if you have any questions let me know. Wish I could be there for it because you never forget your first cf wod.

oh and those flax balls are awesome. I've made similar things in the past.

awesome log thanks for putting so much time into it!

Yeah, I agree that a lot of raw people make some crazy claims. It definitely turned me off at first because it sounded so outrageous (it was). And even though a lot of it turned out to be 100% true, it wasn't right away or as a drastic as I thought. I think I wouldn't have been more open to it if it wasn't so hyped.

Another thing about raw foodists and their crazy claims is that so many people let the raw food overbalance exercise. Raw food becomes their primary means of health and they totally forget how amazing intense exercise is. For me, they go hand in hand. I can't imagine one without the other. At this point in my life, raw food is my diet at 110% and intense training is embracing my physicality at 110%.

That's great to hear about the results you had all because of staying off the pain killers. I fractured my clavicle 5 or 6 years ago and ended up taking vicodin to deal with the pain. It turned me into a bum for the better part of a month. It sucked. This was before I was exercising regularly and my diet wasn't really that clean (though vegan). Probably would be able to do much better with in now.

Giving out toys is a great idea! I'll hold on to that one for next year. I have been conflicted about giving out candy to kids on halloween for the past couple of years. When I have children, I definitely want the to be "proud to be sugar free", so I should really start practicing what I preach now.

The crossfit WOD is going to be awesome. I really don't know what to expect but I want to give it everything. I'll be taking a day off to prepare for it. So glad I have you as a resource while I'm being introduced to CrossFit. Thanks!

Robert Cheeke's girlfriend Julia might also be at the CrossFit event, so hopefully we can both represent for the cause.

And, I'll definitely have to incorporate some Fugazi soon!

Now, I'm off to DESTROY my legs at the gym. My mouth has been watering over deep squats all weekend!

Great workout this morning. Felt awesome to be back in the gym after 3 days off. I did legs.

Deep Squats (Hams to Calves):

45# for 10 reps, warmup

95# for 10-12 reps x 3 sets

45# for 10-12 reps x 2 sets

50# for 12 reps x 1 set

Box Jumps on 24" box (I think)

20 reps x 5 sets

One Legged Step Ups on same box

30# BB for 6 reps each leg x 3 sets

Seated Leg Curl

50# for 12-15 reps x 3 sets

Hip Thrusts with 25# plate

25 reps x 3 sets

Side Leg Raises

25 reps each side x 3 sets

Wall Assisted Handstands

20 second hold x 3 sets

Two video blogs today, one on training and one on raw veganism (spreading the message).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruyC_R7SilI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXm3v8I2dJQ

Awesome stuff yet again mik!

Box Jumps Fantastic!

Handstands - soon 2 be handstand pushups NICE! Yep using the all for assistance is the way to go even when you start with the pushing part.

Love the log, I find that if you train for performance the diet just has to be there. I tell people you need to look at food as fuel to get my point across.

That mexi raw food sounded delicious! I wish I had some!

In my experience the people I have converted to vegan all were impressed with my athleticism/health and wanted to know what I did and why so I got to them on those grounds. So I think you really should start posting your food log too maybe that will help because when a lot of people think of raw food they think of endless salads and fruit. But as you know there are so many yummy dishes that you can make.

Just wanted to mention that none of the kids seemed upset to receive something to play instead of candy.

obviously every cf box is different but I know that my box and a lot of others have a standard wod that they use for people trying out crossfit. usually it involves a lot of bodyweight work in an "as many rounds as possible" in a certain period of time. Or it may be a task priority of getting through a certain amount of work as fast as possible. I doubt that there will be anything loaded since they won't know your form and wouldn't want to risk injury but loading a motion they haven't seen. It is possible. I really doubt there would be any of the more advanced moves such as olympic lifts. All wods are scaleable so it is possible they could do a benchmark or named WOD and scale it but i really doubt it. I'm thinking squats, situps, pushups, etc. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope you and Julia enjoy it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Video Blog update for today. Going to start logging my food now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouLl0t8PC7I

Workout:

Deadlifts:

Work up to 1 RM max = 225# (new PR)

80% for reps = 180# for 5 reps x 3 sets

TGU/GoodMorning Superset x 3 reps

Turkish Get Ups (TGUs)

20# BB for 6 reps each side

Good Mornings

20# BB for 20 reps

Upper Back Superset x 3 sets

Pull ups to failure,

Lat Pulldown: 90# for 6 reps

Angled Cable Row: 75# for 7 reps

Decline Crunches for 8-10 reps x 3 sets

Yesterday I ate:

six dehyrdated Anaheim Chilies filled with a mix of soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, orange, bellpepper, sea salt.

2 flax balls

2 bananas

4 scoops Sun Warrior

2 cups of grapes

1/2 cup carrots

2 mini oranges

1 cup sprouted rice with braggs and sundried tomatoes

1 glass of Good Belly raw, probiotic juice

1 apple

Today I have had/will have:

5 flax balls

2 dehydrated portabellos with garlic, braggs, and olive oil

1/2 cup sprouted rice with braggs

1 green smoothie (spinach/swiss chard/1 tbsp spirulina/maca extract/pineapple/banana/strawberries)

4 scoops Sun Warrior

2 bananas

1/2 cup carrots

2 mini oranges

Tomorrow my sprouts are ready!

yay! food in the log & video! Your food looks yummy. Your making me want to get a dehydrator. I've toyed with the idea for awhile now. Do you have an excaliber? That seems to be the one that gets recommended to me the most.

I really hope that you have an awesome CF experience. CF posts all of their daily WODs for free on the website so you can start following them whenever you want to if you like it.

Yep, I have an Excalibur! My girlfriend got it because it was totally the one that everyone recommended. I haven't really looked at any other brands, but this one works pretty damn well. But really, as long as it dehydrates stuff what can go wrong?

I've seen the WODs on the crossfit site, along with the funny people names they give them. I've thought about trying them before. I think the Saturday class is gonna rock.

I just got back from an awesome bike ride on my lunch break.

Stats:

Distance: 6.32 miles

Avg. Speed: 12.3 mph

Top Speed: 23 mph

Time: 30 minutes, 47 seconds

I wish I had longer breaks!

do you know what size you have? I see they have a 4 tray starter one I've been thinking about. In your opinion would that be sufficient or are the bigger ones really worth the money?

All of the CF WODs are named after actual people. The "girls" are named after some of the women in crossfit that just put up amazing athletic performances in crossfit. The ones named after Men are what they call "hero" WODs where they are named after someone in the military that died in combat.

So excited to hear your looking forward to the class. It is more about learning the crossfit methodology in my opinion. People that do crossfit usually look at the WOD and go "that's all" but if you do it intensely it's enough. looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Today was a great workout day. Problaby the most intense gym workout I've done in the past year. Makes me want to go even harder next time. I really like Gym Jones. It's probably not for a lot of people, but I think it's awesome. I check their site religiously to see what workouts they post everyday. For some reason though, even though I think it's rad, I've never tried one of them. Today, I decided to try one. I think after doing CrossFit, I was ready for some serious intensity (Gym Jones bases their training on the philosophy of CrossFit). So I wrote down the workout of the day an headed out to the gym.

It went down like this:

3x10 Deadlift @ 60% Bodyweight (80#)

3x10 Deadlift @ Bodyweight (130# even though I'm only 125# lately)

Then:

10x Bench Press @ 60% Bodyweight (80#) +

10x Pull-up (negatives after 5 unassisted pullups)

Three Sets, Rest 2 minutes between each

Then:

10x Pull-up + (unassisted to failure, then negatives)

10x Push-Press @ 2 x 20# DB + (15# on the last set)

10x Push-up (5 standard, 5 knee push ups: I was dead)

Three sets, Rest 2 minutes between each

Then:

3x 500m Row @ 1:30 pace (couldn't even reach 1:30 pace, so I did 2:30)

Rest three minutes between efforts

Workout was INSANELY intense. I was winded after the deadlifts, and it just got worse from there. There was a point where I started giggling uncontrollably and felt pretty out of my mind. Awesome workout.

Missed a lot of video blog postings recently. Sorry about that! Here are a selection of the more interesting updates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmoaZF7hAoM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAtU5R-dUq8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6vrbT_APDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHlwSwAzAgs

Food today:

6 stuffed and dehydrated pablano peppers.

1 cup of sprouts (mung beans, lima beans, green lentils, buckwheat)

6 small oranges

4 bananas

4 scoops sun warrior

4 tbsp Mum's hemp protein

2 pieces raw cheesecake with raspberires

2 salads

32 ounces (approximately) of green smoothie with spirulina

I was hoping you were going to do a post crossfit one. So you almost met pukie? I've made his company. I am so glad you said the part about how it doesn't seem like much but it really is. I love that part of CF when people say to me that's all? I"m usually like try it. I think you have to do crossfit to really get crossfit. It is hard to describe to it people but when you do it you get it. Glad you into it. I hope they don't do the same intro class every Saturday.

Nice interview with RC 2!

3x10 Deadlift @ 60% Bodyweight (80#)

3x10 Deadlift @ Bodyweight (130# even though I'm only 125# lately)

Then:

10x Bench Press @ 60% Bodyweight (80#) +

10x Pull-up (negatives after 5 unassisted pullups)

Three Sets, Rest 2 minutes between each

Then:

10x Pull-up + (unassisted to failure, then negatives)

10x Push-Press @ 2 x 20# DB + (15# on the last set)

10x Push-up (5 standard, 5 knee push ups: I was dead)

Three sets, Rest 2 minutes between each

Then:

3x 500m Row @ 1:30 pace (couldn't even reach 1:30 pace, so I did 2:30)

Rest three minutes between efforts

That does look intense. I'm gonna try something similar with modifications for a broken foot. Thanks for the inspiration. Were you sore the next day?

My lunch break workout was fun as hell.

Dips x 10

Barbell Row @ 80# x 10

Knee Jumps with 40# BB x 10

3 rounds

Squats (full) @ 105# x 10

Decline crunches w/ 10# plate x 10

Handstand hold for 30 seconds

3 rounds

Bicep Curl @20# DB x 6

Tri Kickback @12# x 8

DB shrugs with 2 45# plates x 15

3 rounds

Squats (deep) @ 45# x10

Squats (deep) @ 65# x10

Squats (deep) @ 45# x10

I based the routine off the CrossFit/GymJones stuff I've been looking at lately, and I'm stoked on it. Next time I'll get some cardio in there and increase the intensity.

Today I ate:

20oz green smoothie

4 small oranges

1 apple

2 scoops sun warrior protein

3 tbsp Mum's hemp protein

3 dehydrated/stuffed peppers

1 cup assorted sprouts.

last piece of raw cheesecake.

Filmed my video blog today at work. Will upload it tomorrow morning.