Crystal's Failed Grad School Training

13 April 2009 - Mon

*5 minute warm-up on recumbant bike

Squat: 10 x bar, 12 x 95 lbs, 10 x 135 lbs, 9 x 155 lbs, 8 x 165 lbs, 4 x 175 lbs

Fronties: 3 x 3 x 135 lbs

SLDL: 3 x 8 x 135 lbs (ha, didn't feel like changing the weight after the front sqts)

Seated Calf: 3 x 15 x 45 lbs

*stretching

Holy crap those squats kicked my butt today. I was limping out of the gym and could barely manage the stairs! It feels like a sugar crash from yesterday's sugary feast of candydom so I suppose I get what I deserve! Now, back to school work for me . . .

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 Apr 09 - Thurs

*5 minute warm-up - recumbant bike

Bench: 10 x bar, 10 x 65 lbs, 10 x 85 lbs, 10 x 95 lbs, 5 x 105 lbs, 2 x 110 lbs

Rope Tri's: 10 x 80, 8 x 90, 8 x 90, 20 x 45 lbs

*stretching

Quick session today before lunch to make up for missing benching earlier this week. Bench is feeling better, I just wish I was hitting at least a few more reps on those higher weights!

P.S. Been having trouble getting my Rx's lately so haven't been taking them all and I can tell already with increasing pain and swelling throughout my body - hope to get that straightened soon!!!

Count down to moving for the summer: 2 weeks, 2 days!

Well, looks like I'm going to have to take a little time off from the gym, hopefully not more than a week. Had a bit of a mishap at the farm sanctuary on Saturday (I was attacked by one of the ostriches but I don't want to make a big deal of it). I ended up messing up my knee pretty good (its one giant bruise right now), I pulled my hip adductor (I have no idea how, but it hurts!), and my hip is bruised a bit too but not nearly as bad as my knee. A few scrapes and scratches as well . I'll still do some upper body stuff this week, maybe go climbing still as well as long as I stick to V0's and the like.

So limpy today

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/Misc/DSCF4616.jpg

Edited by Crystal

Knee is getting better, its now to a lovely shade of green/yellow so back to the gym for a leg day today!

27 Apr 09 - Mon

*5 minute warm-up on eliptical

Squat:

10 x bar, 5 x pistol, 12 x 95 lbs, 10 x 135 lbs,

5 x 165 lbs

5 x 165 lbs

5 x 165 lbs

5 x 165 lbs

Yup, on that last set there I felt something in my upper hamstring go "pop". Doesn't hurt too much, but it is where I tore my hammy years ago and it hurts when I squat. So, that ended today's gym session. I've been sitting on a bag of ice for the last hour as well just to stay on top of this so it doesn't become a problem. Gotta stay healthy so I can go climb at my best at Hueco Tanks next week

28 Apr 09 - Tues

*5 minute warm-up on recumbant bike

DB Bench:

12 x 25s

10 x 30s

10 x 35s

8 x 40s

5 x 45s

5 x 45s

5 x 45s

Rope Tri: 10, 7, 8 reps of a 1/2 pyramid going down from 70 lbs to 20 lbs (make sense? doesn't matter I suppose, just for the record . . .)

Rope Abs: 3 x 10 x 150 lbs

DB Bi's:

3 x 7 x 20s

*stretching

Good day at the gym even though I was really tired from trying to finish school projects before leaving for Texas in 3 days!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Robert

9 May 2009 - Sat: In Fort Worth, TX with Laura

Today's training is in 3 parts

Bike Ride

A lovely morning bike ride in the mists of Fort Worth for about 16 mi/26 km along a paved path in an awesome park. Loved all the green, and there was a bridge over a river. So nice

Climbing

After lunch we headed over to Dyno Rock for some indoor rock climbing. Laura was such a good sport, I found a bouldering route that was incredibly fun (involved lots of swinging about on a juggy roof) that she had to suffer through . There was also a thick braided rope for climbing up that I had to try out. I haven't climbed a thick rope since grade school. Of course it had a top rope on it, looked sort of silly but it works. Ended the day in a lovely cave but I was so spent by then I wasn't getting anything anymore .

Powerlifting

After a quick trip back to Laura's to grab some stuff, it was off to 24-hour Fitness for some weight training . I'm not really in a routine right now due to the travel and days of climbing this last week (3 days at Hueco Tanks! Wahoo!) so just did the Big 3.

Squat:

10 x bar

10 x 95 lbs

10 x 135 lbs

8 x 155 lbs

Bench:

10 x bar

10 x 75 lbs

10 x 85 lbs

10 x 95 lbs

Deadlift:

10 x 135 lbs

10 x 135 lbs

10 x 135 lbs

*stretching - only some, I can stretch all night, but by this point it had been almost exactly 12 hours since the first day's activity and it was time to get some food . So awesome, thanks to gms for taking the time to meet-up and a big thanks to Laura76 for putting up with me both in her house and at the gym!!! Wahoo! Off to Houston in the morning, time for sleep . . .

Thanks LocalBrada! I made it to Houston safe and sound.

So, my first day on the job this last Monday I found out they were flying us to far south Texas for my first business trip the next day! So, I've been gone the last couple of days. No training to speak of while away other than flailing about in the hotel swimming pool a little. Did have fun at work down that way though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/Summer09/photo-1.jpg

14 May 2009 - Thurs

Wahoo! Joined a gym, and its ACROSS THE STREET FROM MY OFFICE!!!

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs41/f/2009/025/5/7/Happy_Bouncer_by_Argetlam_Br_01.gif

DL: 10 x 135 lbs, 10 x 155 lbs, 10 x 185 lbs, 5 x 225 lbs, 3 x 245 lbs

DB Shrugs: 3 x 15 x 40s

Chins: 5, 4, 3 x bw - hands were parallel grip this time

*stretching

Okay, probably shouldn't have gone quite so heavy on the deads, but for an unknown reason I was in a VERY bad mood after work today and took it out on the bar (I think its all the travel and change catching up to me, plus missing my family and bf back home ). Felt great afterwards though - deads are just awesome like that.

New job is going well enough, its basically a 8am - 5 pm, Mon-Fri sort of deal which I am not used to at all! My co-workers are all nice people (so far?) and the weather here is deliceously warm! Finally thawing out a bit

I might go try out a rock climbing gym tomorrow, too. Was going to go today, but deadlifting won out

• 5 months later...

26 Oct 09

bw=136.1 lbs

Squats: 20 x 135 lbs

Bench: warm-up 10 x bar, 10 x 75 lbs

6 x 95 lbs

5 x 100 lbs

5 x 100 lbs

4 x 105 lbs

4 x 105 lbs

DB Flys: 10 x 17.5s, 10 x 20s, 10 x 20s, 5 x 25s

Pec Dec: 10 x 100, 10 x 100, 7 x 115, drop-down 115 to 85 lbs

Incline Sit-ups: 30, 30 - with elbow strike at top

Then to vegan801power's (my workout partner's) house to steal awesome vegan protein before heading home . First day of this 8-week bench program of benching twice a week, first day "light" and reps up to 6, second day heavy and reps up to 3 or 4.

Yes, I am an on again, off again VBB poster - stupid grad school!

*check the new blog in my signature

Thanks Robert! You are awesome and I can't wait to see you at the sanctuary's vegan thanksgiving in SLC next week! Wahoo!

27 Oct. 2009 - Tues

noon: hour cardio class, then later:

Squat: 10 x bar, 10 x 135 lbs, 7 x 155 lbs

5 x 5 x 165 lbs

LP Calf: 15 x empty, 10 slow x empty, 10 x 20 lbs

Plank: 2 mins

*stretching

Worked out by myself today, my workout partner-of-late had other plans , but that is okay .

First day of my 8-week plan of squatting 5 x 5. First two weeks will be 10 lbs jumps in weight, then four weeks of 5 lbs jumps, final two weeks will drop to 5 x 3, hope it goes well!

And, posted on my new blog again today (see signature )

Ya Robert, I'm glad we got them too, we both look like we're CRUSHING it!

28 Oct '09 - Wed

* 5 minute warm-up on eliptical

DB Front/Side Lateral Raises: 10 x 10s, 8 x 12.5s, 8 x 12.5s - mostly warming up good for:

BB Push-Press: 4 x 95 lbs (ambitious, yes), 10 x 75 lbs, 10 x 75 lbs, 4 x 95 lbs

Cable Rear Delt: 5 x 20 lbs, 4 x 20 lbs, 3 x 20 lbs - super hard and it didn't go any lighter!

Chins: 5 x hammer grip, 4 x hammer plus 6 assited, 3 x hammer

With my friend vegan801power - then skipped Zumba to take one of the girls from the farm sanctuary to the climbing gym; she had asked me to teach her how to climb and it ended up being a lot of fun, she did really well!

Nice.....Crystal with the Hammer grip! Excellent!

I've been networking with a few people from SLC already and getting stoked about the event. I've even submitted some product requests for the silent auction and should rack up some swag in Boston this weekend!

Of course we'll donate some Vega and VBB stuff......back to training....

My trainer friend Ed (vegan since 96 guy) noticed how buff you were during our workout! Nice!

Looking forward to training again soon! You'll get to meet Julia as well!

See ya!

Robert

Can't wait to have you up here Robert!

29 Oct 09 - Thurs

BW = 136.8 lbs

5 minute warm-up eliptical

Bench: 10 x bar, 10 x 75 lbs, 8 x 95 lbs

2 x 3 x 105 lbs

2 x 2 x 115 lbs

4 neg. x 125 lbs

Rope Tri: 10 x 40 lbs, 9 x 50 lbs, 10 x 50 lbs, 8 x 50 lbs

Static Incline DB Curls: 10 x 15s, 6 x 20s, 8 x 17.5s, 8 x 17.5s

Dips: 9 x bw

Cable Push-Downs: 10 x 40 lbs, 10 x 50 lbs

Cable Curl: 10 x 50 lbs, 10 x 60 lbs, 6 x 60 lbs wide

Second bench day, plus arms - with vegan801power as always . Was a shite day at school so went in mentally exhausted, but by the end of bench was feeling much better .

Have you eaten lately Vegan Joe? Maybe your blood sugar is just low . . .

After another long weekend at the farm sanctuary, back at it!

2 Nov. 09 - Mon

Squat: 20 x 135 lbs

Bench: 10 x bar, 10 x 80 lbs,

1 x 6 x 100 lbs

2 x 5 x 105 lbs

2 x 4 x 110 lbs

Inclines: 10 x 75 lbs, 4 x 85 lbs - yup, was just simply wiped at this point!

Good workout with vegan801power, but he's leaving town for the rest of the week in the morning which makes me sad - I've just that quick gotten used to having a training partner again and I don't want to workout alone this week! Oh well

Also, updated my new blog linked in the signature line again

I'll be in SLC soon and we can train! No idea what my itinerary will be but I'm thinking of flying in Saturday and flying out on Monday...but I could extend it another day perhaps. I just have lots of work that needs to be crushed

Just flew home from Boston. Staying with my sister tonight and then down to Corvallis tomorrow. See you soon!

3 Nov 09 - Tues

So it happens again, story of my R.A. life. Was scheduled for a good 'ol 5x5 squat day today, but my right shoulder has "flared up" really bad and I'm in such pain . Did cardio at lunch - minus arms, then took my friend to the climbing gym again because she wants to learn how - worked out pretty well because its easier to teach when you're watching the other person and not climbing yourself! Hopefully I can get this agonizing swelling down by tomorrow enough to pick-up my squat day, don't need my shoulder to be 100% to squat, but I do need to be able to at least lift my arm from my side! Arg, it throbs when I lay down, I hate this! . . .

Thanks lobsteriffic

4 Nov. 09 - Wed

Sadly, shoulder was WORSE today

Went to gym anyway and did

Hammer Strength Leg Press: 10 x 90 lbs, 10 x 180 lbs, 5 x 270 lbs

5 x 5 x 320 lbs - used this because no shoulder involved

Then, on same machine did ...

One-leg LP Calf: 3 x 10 x no weight, 5 x 50 lbs

*Stretched a bit, as much as one arm allows for!

Then, that evening, went to Zumba class, but of course only doing the leg moves, looked a little more silly than normal

Today, Thursday, I did nothing Sad - want to rest shoulder for the sanctuary tomorrow plus was running errands all day for the sanctuary's Vegan Thanksgiving Dinner this Sunday that Robert is speaking at !!! Shoulder's feeling better today, but only to the point where I'm not constantly gritting my teeth with pain and was able to sleep thru the night *sigh* Gonna be hard to feed the critters tomorrow!