Backpacking and Hiking Recipes

dtougas

For those of you who are into backpacking and hiking and are looking for some great trail food recipes, I am starting to compile a list on my website. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or recipes that you would like to share that would work for this kind of thing please let me know!

We only have two recipes posted at the moment, but more are forthcoming as we get time to put them up. Also, they are gluten-free, which might be beneficial to some out there! The URL is here:

http://www.adventureinprogress.com/backcountry-recipes

• 8 months later...

What's the best stove (on a budget!) for a solo backpacker to carry for a 5-day trek in the wilderness? I've been looking at many different types and brands, and am just looking for opinions from those with more backpacking experience. I've always enjoyed hiking and camping, but am just getting into more serious backpacking in wilderness areas and need to start outfitting myself with the appropriate gear.

I am a big fan of alcohol stoves. They are simple, reliable, and can be really inexpensive, especially if you are willing to make your own. There are tons of plans online for various versions made out of all manner of soda cans and the like. Many people who do long thru-hikes (i.e. the Appalachian trail) use a simple home-made alcohol stove. If you don't feel confident making your own, there are several different brands of alcohol stoves on the market, one of my favorites being the sets (including stove, stand, windscreen, and pot) sold by Clikstand (http://www.clikstand.com).

If you want any more info, let me know, I would be glad to help out in any way I can. If you haven't been there already, a great resource is the forums on backpackinglight.com.