Newbie to triathlon and other stuff - exercise and food log

Hey all

I've done my intro so starting a log seemed like the next logical step!

My 2009 goals were

complete a sprint distance triathlon - have finished two and loved them!

increase overall fitness and lose bodyfat - ongoing project...

complete a 10k race in October - done in just over 1 hour

generally work on fitness for hillwalking/climbing

2010 goals

• tackle the short course Hebden 2010 challenge - an offroad half marathon in January!
    complete an early season open water sprint triathlon
    assuming above goes well, train for olympic distance triathlon
    complete the coast-to-coast cycle route with work colleagues
http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/aboutc2c.htm 147 miles
complete the Rob Roy Way with my mum plus our three dogs, camping and carrying our own gear http://www.robroyway.fsnet.co.uk/ 92 miles round where I grew up
contemplate entering the Aberfeldy middle distance triathlon!!! Though I suspect I will be looking to do this next year really

Last 2 weeks training:

Sunday long run-sort of! it ended up being a run with route finding, stile climbing and mud wallowing too! Was out 1hr 45mins, av pace 16min/mile, and about 6.3miles - felt really good actually but too much walking because of the mud/path/stiles etc.

Monday rest

Tues 2 mile run at reasonable pace

rest of the week was a washout - much too busy

Friday gym again - 15min X trainer, 15min row, 40 min treadmill, planks

Saturday too much time stuck at a desk = jammed SI joints

Sunday Road event (I don't like calling them races!) 5.25miles all on road with some nice hills. Despite a sore back, not enough fluids and only 5 hrs sleep (plus 2 hr drive over) finished in 51mins 15 secs and no walking at all *yay*

Monday REST! my quads are really burning

Tuesday 30min recovery run, felt good but not much in the way of reserves

Wednesday 30min swim session

Aiming for a longer run on Thursday morning, gym programme to get some weights in on Friday, rest Saturday and then a long run on Sunday...

And a decision to start logging my food *gulp*

Wednesday 2nd Dec

Breakfast: 1/2 tin of baked beans, glass of smoothie

Post swim: 1 banana

Mid-morning: one homemade flapjack (mostly oats, seeds and some treacle)

Lunch: 1/2 can of spicy mixed beans with some brown rice, one slice toffutti cheeze, apple, pear

Snacks: 2 Nairns oat biscuits, 1 x rye cracker with yeast spread

Dinner: homemade sweet potato and chickpea curry with brown rice

other stuff: 4 (little) squares of soy chocolate

Edited by purple_mog

Good luck with your Triathalon!!!!

Thanks love your website btw

So yesterday was fairly successful in the sense that I didn't overeat though I did seriously notice being waaaay more obsessed with food with having to write it down!

Today is a little challenging because I was hoping to get out for a run, but my back is feeling very dodgy. Been to see my osteo and I'm on strict rest for 24 hrs and then take it easy *grumble*

Anyway, onto the food!

Brekkie: porridge with soy milk and a small handful of raisins, half glass of smoothie

Snack: 2 rye crackers with yeast spread

Lunch: homemade veg and barley soup, brown bread and hummus (probably ate more than I needed to)

2 squares of dark chocolate

Dinner: spicy beanburger, carrots and broccoli with gravy *yum*, some left over smoothie

So - are you bored yet?!

No exercise as still strictly taking it easy, back was hellish after osteo but much better after mum sent some healing. Hoping to make it to the gym for a workout planning session later.

Food:

Brekkie: 2 oatibix plus soy milk and a dribble of agave syrup

Snacks: 2 x pears, 1 banana

Lunch: 2 x falafel and chilli dressing sandwich (best I could do in a meeting!), glass fresh orange

continued (because I'm bad and forgot to log over the weekend!)

Snack: 2 slices toast and Pure spread

GYM - just a workout planning session though

Dinner: spicy beanburger, carrots, broccoli and gravy

Pub!: 4 x alcoholic ginger beers *yum*

Saturday

Gym session - mostly weights and a little cardio, most work on upper body - awful programme so looking into finding a decent personal trainer now *sigh* On the plus side I loved doing the freeweights bits and definitely want to do more

Food:

Brekkie: Porridge and banana with soy milk, smoothie

Snack: apple and pear, caramel soy decaf latte

Lunch: two veg samosas

Snack: 1 slice toast and tartex

Dinner: memory fail!

Sunday

8.6mile run at steady pace with some walking, all on trails or in bogs (!) up on the Moors

Food:

Breakfast (run out of soy milk): tin of beans with some grated cheezly, green smoothie

Food while running: 1 SIS energy gel, half a trek protein bar

Post run: carton choc soy milk, banana, half a clif protein bar

Other food (confused eating day): 2 packs salted crisps, some rye crackers

Dinner: chapatti, curry (pulses, bean sprouts), brown rice, smoothie

Monday

Rest day (much needed) and for various reasons *grin* spent most of it in bed *blushes*

Food: chapatti and tartex, rye cracker and same, smoothie

Lunch: 6 mini veg spring rolls, apple

Dinner: cheese free pizza with caramelised onions, spinach and other yummy stuff

Tuesday

Brekkie: 2 x oatibix, tsp sugar, rice milk

Tuesday

Evening swim: 200/200 arm/200 leg/400 then back started to tweak so called it a day

Food:

Brekkie - 2 x oatibix, tsp sugar, rice milk

Snack - pear, apple

Lunch - veg and barley soup, can of pepsi (bad mog!)

Snack - banana, apple

SWIM

Dinner - bolognese type thing with soy mince, pulses and veggies with cauliflower

And coz someone asked - I do drink lots too! Its just that unless its sugary or caffeine I don't bother to list. Mostly I drink plain water, very weak black tea and same of green tea/rooibos

Wednesday

Brekkie: Porridge, soy milk and banana

Snack: banana, small glass smoothie

Lunchtime running club - hill repeats, pyramids and speed work for 45 mins *ouch*

Drank 500ml sports drink before and during

Lunch: left overs from last night, small amount of rice

Snack: 2 slices toast

Xmas dinner out but was poorly so didn't really eat any of it. Ended up having small bowl of vegan chili late in evening

Thursday

Brekkie: 2 slices toast and jam

Snack: none

Lunch: spicy beanburger in a roll

Snack: small bottle coke

No exercise today as had osteo appointment. Did weigh myself out of curiosity and was down to an amazing 11st2lbs, BMI 26, BF 32% though I suspect that has a lot to do with not eating much yesterday and not being totally well!

I'll post the UTTERLY USELESS programme when I find the bit of paper in a wee bit

Still feeling a bit queasy tbh which is not like me, but it will go soon, have a long run planned for tomorrow!

Thursday dinner was a strange concoction of Seitan (not impressed by the texture) with panfried spinach, carrots, peppers and garlic. And new potatoes from my garden

3 digestive type biccies

Friday

continued rest from osteo day and feeling a bit queasy so decided not to do much apart from some gentle dog walking.

Brekkie: porridge + soy milk, smoothie

Lunch: pasta, mung beans, garlic 'sausage' and mayo

drinking lots of tea and water but really feeling rather queasy still which is not like me at all

Dinner - not sure, don't even want any!!

Friday dinner ended up being out for Thai which was rather nice but I really didn't eat much, not normal for me at all!

Saturday:

Brekkie 2 oatibix and soy

Snacks: 2 glasses smoothie

Lunch: pasta salad with mung beans, frys polony and garlic

Dinner: pie on sweet potato and carrot mash with lots of gravy

Gym: worked on weights and really got into it for the first time in ages! Felt so good to be working smooth and slow , though I have little/NO faith in the instructors and the programme they have given me. Will post about that in a bit too!

Chest press 2 x 15 reps at 5kg (per hand)

Tricep overhead extension 2 x 15 reps at 2.5kg (per hand)

Bicep curls 2 x 12 reps at 5 kg (per hand)

Leg press 2 x 15reps

Standing row 2 x 15reps at 13.5kg each hand

Squat using smith machine (5kg plus bar) 2 x 10reps

Lunge as above 2 x 10 reps per leg

planks and crunches

Sunday: felt really queasy this morning so ended up taking the day to sort of recover *sigh* maybe been doing too much?

Brekkie - tiny bit of porridge, then gave up. 1/2 glass smoothie

Lunch: a jam sandwich *pathetic*

Dinner: small bowl lentil curry and 2 chapattis

Monday:

Gym - cardio session to make up for not running yesterday.

10 min w/up on rowing machine, 30min on X trainer, 20 mins hard on treadmill (2.77miles), stretching and crunches/planks

Brekkie - 2 oatibix + soy + smoothie

Lunch - 3 slices toast and tartex

Sneaky snack - soy dacaff caramel latte, brownie

Dinner - left over lentil curry + 1 chapatti

Hmmm, this can prove an interesting discussion as there are as many programmes and training styles as there are trainers ....

Personally I'd ditch any isolation exercises, like biceps curls and tri extensions, in favour of compound exercises - those that work more than one muscle group at the time. Chins/pull ups are great for chest/shoulders and biceps and push ups would work again both chest and tris (and I had them coz I can't do them!) - and are excellent core exercies too. Try combining planks with push ups, i.e. do a set of push ups but instead of resting hold a plank for, say, a minute (I nkow the theory, doesn't mean that I can manage it in practice! ).

I'd prolly also prefer to do a 2 day split, i.e one workout only lower body and one only upper body, I reckon you'd get more out of your strength training that way. On those days I'd leave cardio strictly for warming up, i.e 10 minutes easy going on the treadmill or rower just to warm up and then hit the weights.

Just my 2p's worth, fully expect to be slated now by someone with years of experience!

Yikes! Excuse early morning typing - and let's hope that lunch time break typing is better!

I would split as:

DAY 1: lower body/back:

squats - use barbell or dumbells

lunges - use dumbells

wide grip pull ups/ lat pull down

seated row/bent over row

push ups (with planks or planks after)

DAY 2: chest and shoulders:

bench press/dumbell flyes

triceps dips

military press

upright rows

crunches

Check the exrx.net exercise directory if you want to know more about these exercises or you want pointers as to how to do them - I've always found this site really helpful

And I'd stay well away from Smith machines (before anyone hits me, my personal preference only!), because you just don't get a full range of movement.

You could, instead of lunges, also find yourself a step aerobics kind of step, if it has several settings put it on highest and step up and down (stepping onto the platform with both feet) while holding dumbells.

Before starting either workout I'd do a 10 minute warm-up on a treadmill, Xtrainer or rower. You're not training for endurance then, just to give your muscles advance warning that work is aboutto be started As for the number of sets and reps it appears that for endurance sports 2X10 is generally recommended, although again I'm sure opinions differ on this one.

And I wouldn't want to do a heavy lower body workout one or two days before you're planning a long run, simply because DOMS would make that run a damn sight less enjoyable

Hope this helps, and I'd be really interested to see other people's opinions

I agree, compound exercises over isolations.

I used to do 4x/week routine: 2 days upper and 2 days lower. Now I'm favouring a 3x/week full body routine, just because I'm building base with my running, biking and swimming and I found 4 days a week lifting to be too much. Whether you do 3 or 4 days a week is up to you and what you prefer, but definitely make sure you have lots of compound lifts in there...things like squat, bench, deadlift, etc. MalcKiera posted some great compounds.

hmmmm will have a think about gym routines - I can always manage one session a week and sometimes two, but more than that doesn't fit around work + dogs

Tuesday

Brekkie: porridge and soy, smoothie

Snack: 2 apples

Lunch: soup

Snack: 2 pears

Dinner: Risotto (mushroom and butternut squash) with carrots and brocolli, glass of wine. Small scoop vanilla glace and one chocolate mint!

Wednesday

Evening gym: 5min run to gym / 20 min intervals on X trainer - ouch!! / 2000m rowing machine 10.45min / 10min fast run on treadmill

Brekkie: 2 oatibix plus smoothie

Snack: 2 apples

Lunch: left over risotto

Snack: decaf soy gingerbread latte

Energy gel before gym

Dinner: bean and potato casserole with veggies

Thursday

Exercise: cycled couple of miles to pub and back : jogged to gym to warm up (5mins)

Swim in the new pool for about 40 mins: 200m w/up, 200m leg/200m arm/ negative splits of 50m/75m/100m, then cool down

Social (Mountaineering Club) 2 pints lager and lime, two big handfuls of crisps

Food:

porridge for breakfast + smoothie

2 apples

Pot-luck lunch at work = left over risotto, some green salad, lovely fresh olive bread, vegan mushroom pate, raw veggies, 2 homemade brownies!

Think I drank a can of coke today?

Dinner: the end of the risotto plus lots of brocolli

Friday

Exercise: cycled about 3 miles total doing errands: GYM session was awesome - loads of weights (put details in later)

Social: Xmas party at friends - drank 3 glasses wine, small glass port. Ate Vegan filo pastry things, some onion bajiis and several of my chocolate brownies *yum*

Food:

Brekkie - beans on toast plus one Frys sausage

Lunch - two toasted sandwiches with Frys polony and pickle

Snack after gym - three oatcakes and hummus

Dinner - small bowl of curry and rice

Saturday

Exercise - nothing much

Social: more parties *sigh* drank 2 glasses red wine and ate a handful of cashew nuts

Food:

Brunch: Beans on rye toast with falafel on the side!

Snack: apple and smoothie

Dinner: bruschetta and lots of salad stuff from restaurant - more carb heavy than usual for me

Sunday

Exercise: nasty gym session - too icy to travel for a good run and body feeling a bit overloaded from all the food and drink and not enough sleep *yuck*

10 mins X trainer: 60 mins treadmill (!!!!) just under 7 miles total: plenty of stretching to cool down

Felt ing up till about 20 mins into the run and then finally got it back!

Food:

Brekkie: beans on toast (again!)

Lunch: sandwich of some kind I think?

Isotonic drink to shift some of the headache!

Post-gym: 2 brownies - all gone now!

Dinner: small portion rice pasta plus chilli

Monday

Exercise - day off today

Food:

Brekkie: 1 oatibix and soy, small glass smoothie

Snack: one apple

Lunch: 4 oatcakes and mushroom Tartex plus homemade veg and barley soup

Snack: 3 oatcakes and tartex

Dinner:

TBD!

okay okay okay

Friday weights only session

(so I don't know how to log these - please correct my mistakes!)

10 min X trainer warm-up

Squats with dumbells: 2 x 10reps of 5kg per hand

lunges with dumbells: 2 x 10 reps of 5kg per hand per leg

Lat pull down: 2 x 10reps at setting 2 (20lbs I think)

seated row: 2 x 10 reps at setting 2

Bench press: 2 x 10 reps of 5kg per hand

Triceps dip: 2 x 10 x 4kg per hand

Crunches/planks/pushups - lost count but there's a lot of abdominal DOMS!

I'm finding it seriously fascinating to see how mentally I've gone from doing weights just because I felt I had to, into really enjoying the slow steady movements and wanting to do more and more!

So - whats the convention on how to record sets/weights? pretty please

I'm finding it seriously fascinating to see how mentally I've gone from doing weights just because I felt I had to, into really enjoying the slow steady movements and wanting to do more and more!

So - whats the convention on how to record sets/weights? pretty please

on you starting to enjoy weights. Nice one!

Okay, how "the" convention is I'm not sure, my own convention is

sets x reps @ (or 'x') weight of type, i.e. your "Squats with dumbells: 2 x 10reps of 5kg per hand" in my "convention" would be "Squats: 2x10 @ 5kgs DB" or "2x10x5DB" if you want it even shorter. Hope that helps