Need help with digestion? Try this:

robert

Is rejuvelac easy to make? I have a delicious looking recipe for raw cashew cheese that calls for it as an ingredient.

Did you read the blogpost?

Below, I describe how to make my rejuvelac.

1. Start by sprouting 1 cup of wheat berries (or other grain such as rye or millet) in a 1 quart mason jar.

Sprouting Procedures:

* Rinse the wheat berries once. If you have a sprouting screen to put over the mouth of your mason jar, this will make the process much easier, but a screen is not necessary.

* Put the grain into your mason jar, fill with pure water, and let it soak for 8 hours or overnight.

* Next, drain the grain, rinse once, and drain sufficiently. If you have the sprouting screen, leave the jar tipped into a bowl at a downward slant to allow air to circulate and the grain to continue to drain. If you do not have the screen, drain well and leave the jar open and tipped sideways on your counter.

* Let the grain sit for another 8-12 hours and rinse again.

* You will rinse it 2 or 3 times a day until the sprouts are tiny and just emerging from the seed. This will take 1-2 days.

* Put the sprouts in your blender with some water to cover and blend on high for 5 seconds.

* At this point, you are ready to begin fermenting!

2. Put the ground-up grain back in your mason jar and fill the jar up with pure water.

3. Add a dash of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice to make the solution slightly acid and help the fermentation process along.

4. Add about 10 slices of fresh ginger root for an interesting flavor.

5. Cover the top of your jar with a cheese cloth or other cloth that will allow air to come through. Secure the cloth with a rubber band.

6. Let your sprouted grains soak for 72 hours, no more. Warm temperatures will speed the fermentation process. It that case, it will be done earlier. A white film on top is good. If the film turns colors, throw the grain away and start over. Give the jar a gentle spin 2-3 times a day. Expect some bubbling to show at the top.

7. After you have let the solution ferment, strain out the grain fragments and store the liquid in a clean, sealable jar. There you have your rejuvelac!

8. Give it a taste. It won't taste spectacular, but it should be slightly fizzy and lemony.

9. Make a green smoothie with a banana, lime, greens, and frozen pineapple.

10. Discard the used grain.

I would say not easy to make.

• 2 weeks later...