coroho's strength training log

11/9/09

Bodyweight: 147.5lbs

Hang Cleans: 40kg 5x3

Elevated Rows: 9,7,7

Dips: +20lbs 3x8

Reverse Crunches: 12,12,9 5lb counter

Hang Cleans: I think I might stick at this weight and go for full power cleans. It's a good point where I'm not just throwing it up anymore.

Dips: Still couldn't bench today, but these felt fine. Last reps were challenging.

Bodyweight's down cause I'd lost motivation + got bored with everything I'm eating. I think now I've found a new motivation but I'm just trying to maintain 'til after I take my little break. I think I'm only going to take a week off then start doing Rippletoe's recovery program. In the meantime I've been drinking beer and coffee more But I'm ready to get back squatting and bulking--hopefully come december.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11/11/09

Press: 41kg 5x5

Deadlift: 110.6kg 1

Pullups: 7,7,5

Prone Bridges: 3x30s w/ medicine ball

Got OHP—microloading ftw. Yeah, that's 1 deadlift rep. It went up lopsided, the next attempt I couldn't get past my knees and 3rd try I couldn't budge it.

11/11/09

Power Cleans: 40kg 5x3

Elevated Rows: 7

Dips: +20lbs 3x6

Reverse Crunches: 12,12,9 5lb counter

Pulled the cleans from the floor which was a bit different. Easier, but will need to practice that. Only did one set of rows cause they felt redundant after the cleans. Dips my form was weird, I don't know what was up but I just cut them short on reps/weight.

Resting up the next week and starting Starr's rehab after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, hope your recovery's going smooth. I ain't got sh*t to read just now. You're off to recover, mikkei's away visiting family so none of his log (or videos), no robert cheeke show episodes. Just xCx left!

I went 10 days without a workout before Monday there and it killed me. Got major withdrawl symptoms. Must not injure self serious again.

Sorry for cutting your reading material chewy! :P I actually just got back from fuckin' around at the gym. Basically relearning squats after reading Starting Strength. It'd been 10 days for me too but I swear it felt like 2+ weeks. As it turns out though, I'm not gonna start the rehabbing till Saturday or Monday http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif (Going home for Thxgiving) On the bright side, I'm still at 147lbs so I haven't withered away yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update:

Been doing the Starr rehab for squats and bench press. It's been something like this:

M: 25 x 45 45 45 lbs

T: 25 x 45 45 55 lbs

W: 25 x 45 55 65 lbs

T: 25 x 55 65 75 lbs

F: 25 x 65 75 85 lbs

Except today (Friday) I could only manage 20 on the last set for bench and I didn't do it for squats. That's because I decided my squat form wasn't good enough to do that many and especially not for rehab. So instead I warmed up and squatted 30, 40, 50, and 60 kg to see how it felt and it felt fine. So I think I'll finish out the bench press rehab (~8 more days) while working on my squat form, which btw felt a lot better today.

I don't know, I'm not doing the rehab thing anymore. Seemed like all I was doing was basically doing a lot of reps and working through the pain if it came (it sometimes did, but it'd be faint and fade fast). So I decided I'd just go back to the program, do extra warm up, and see if I can't work through any pain. So today was my first day of that, I'm just doing the main lifts until I think I'm better.

12/9/09

Squats: 51.6kg 5x5

Bench Press: 50kg 5x5

12/14/09

Bodyweight: 148.3lbs

Squats: 57.6kg 5x5

Bench Press: 52.6kg 5x5

Damn, I was sore as hell all weekend from squatting Friday. Even kind of sore at the start of my workout today. Felt good, man. Fought temptation and only added 2.5kg to BP instead of 5. Thought about adding some cleans in at the end but I'd already been there for at least an hour. Was moving slow cause I'm getting over some cold symptoms I picked up over the weekend. If everything's still going fine at the end of this week, I'm gonna go back to bulking again. Maybe I'll even start eating more later this week.

12/16/09

Squats: 60.8kg 5x5

(OH)Press: 37.5kg 5x5

Deadlift: 92.4kg 1x5

Pullups: 3

Squats: Wasn't that challenging, felt alright.

Press: Last two sets were pretty damn hard.

Deadlift: Did the same weight cause I wasn't sure of my form last time. Was better this time, but still pretty heavy for taking 15kg off.

Pullups: Tried them touching my chest to the bar. Fuckin' hard! Could only manage 1-2 at a time. Hope I just need to adapt and not start all over again.

12/18/09

Squats: 63.5kg 5x5

Bench Press: 55.3kg 5x5

Squats went good. I narrowed my stance a little bit and it feels a lot more solid pushing from the floor. Unfortunately, my shoulder started hurting during BP. It's not that acute, but I don't know what to do if it gets worse.

12/20/09

BW: 150.7lbs

Squats: 65.8kg 5x5

Press: 40kg 5,5,5,5,4

Deadlift: 95.3kg 1x5

Pullups: 4,3,2

Broke into 150+ bw territory for the first time this weekend

Squats: Good. Tiring, but not too hard.

Press: Hardest OHP working set of my life. Seriously. Just couldn't manage that last one though.

Deadlift: Still using double overhand, feels fine.

Pullups: Better than last time. Admittedly I don't think my chest touched the bar on the latter 2 sets.

Working out S/T/Th this week so I can get 3 in before xmas.

12/22/09

Squats: 68kg 5x5

Bench Press: 52kg 5x5

Hang Cleans: a few

Squats: Bodyweight, so that was cool.

Bench Press: I adjusted my form, or rather got into position differently, so my back is effectively more arched now. Did lighter weight cause I was mainly worried about how my shoulder would do. It did mostly fine. Next bench day will be in 6 days so hopefully that will give it time to heal, then maybe I'll be able to bench again? We'll see.

Hang Cleans: I was doing some of these and a guy came over and told me I was doing it wrong. Gave me some pointers and I think I'll have to relearn them. He was right though. He also had solid squat form so I believe him, lol.

12/24/09

Squats: 70.3kg 5x5

(OH)Press: 40kg 5,5,5,3,1

Deadlift: 97.5kg 1x5

Chinups: 4,4,3

Squats: These actually felt easier than last time.

Press: I really wanted to get this today and I think I spent all my energy on the first 3 sets. One more attempt at it next week.

Deadlift: This was hard, had to switch to mixed grip.

Chinups: I think I'm going to rotate full ROM chins/pullups till my numbers get up again.

Man, going every other day for 6 workouts is tiring. This extra day off should be good, lookin' to come back strong

12/28/09

BW: 152.8lbs

Squats: 72.6kg 5x5

Bench Press: 54.4kg 5x5

Pushups: 13,10,10

Squats: Started off kind of shaky but felt solid towards the end.

Bench Press: Felt solid. That pain is still lurking but I avoid it when I do them like this (as per last time).

Pushups: Tried a few dips and wasn't 100% certain, so I did some of these.

12/30/09

Squats: 75kg 5x5

Press: 40kg 5,4,4,3,3

Deadlift: 100kg 1x5

Pullups: 4,3,2

Squats: Matched my PR back from 9/28. Took a long time to get back up there but it feels good, man.

Press: Gahh, time for deload.

Deadlift: Felt easier than last time, could've been cause I took bigger jumps in weight when warming up.

Pullups: I dunno about these, it's hard to get even one with good form this way.

12/30/09

Squats: Matched my PR back from 9/28. Took a long time to get back up there but it feels good, man.

Good stuff man! How hard was it?

When I finally got back to my PB it felt really easy. I always felt like my muscles could handle way more but knee was holding me back. Such a relief when you finally get there =]

Yeah, it wasn't overly hard or anything. I remember when I first did it took everything out of me. Now I feel like my form is a lot better and that helps, like the movement is more evenly distributed. It feels like a success every time I can up the weight and squat right

1/1/10

Squats: 77.1kg 5x5

Bench Press: 56.7kg 5x5

Pushups: 16,13,12

Squats: Weren't too hard but my form might've been a bit off.

Bench Press: Not too hard and no pain either.

Pushups: Some discomfort on dips so I did some more of these. Not that challenging though.

Well, the core lifts are going well right now but I'm kind of up in the air as far as accessory exercises. I haven't had much interest in bodyweight exercises since my forced break, with the exception of dips and pullups, and I'm debating between trying to relearn power cleans or picking up barbell rows. We'll see..

Your bench is ruling Won't be long before you break the 60kg barrier!

I feel you on the Squats, I've stopped adding weight just now to work on form. There have been a couple of reps I've done at the end of sets that have been disastrous, where basically I've had to excessively lean forward to get up, moving the weight away from my heel to toes.

I'm getting it sorted before I fuck something up.

And power cleans I'm waiting for my wrist to fully heal before I start learning these properly!