Phoenix-06 routine

Jan 23/06

Weight: 167lbs @ 5'11

Reduce bodyfat from double digit to single digit while increasing muscle mass and looking to top out at 185lbs or so.

Potential bummers: rotatator cuffs

Working one muscle group per day, 5 days on, 2 off

Doing 6-9 heavy sets per muscle group with 4-6 reps per set.

Weight (lbs) can be lifted/pushed/pulled 4X but no more than 6X

Monday Ja23/06

Squats: 15X50, 10X100, 8X150, 5X190, 4X190, 3X190, 5X190

Stiff legged dead lift: 10X100, 5X150, 5X150, 5X150

1 Legged standing calf raise: 5X100, 5X100, 5X1000, 5X100

51 minutes to complete. Felt good, intensive and focused.

How do I intend to put weight on?? Oh, I'm going to get Alex to show me how We're ironing out a routine. But basically I'm going to try and walk a fine line between increasing muscle mass through the w/o and ingesting extra protein and upping my carbs throughout the day but not into the evening. I'm going to really watch my weight and body measurements and make adjustments accordingly. In the end I may have to bulk up and then burn off. My metabolism has really slowed so I shouldn't find it a problem to put on the weight I just don't want it piling onto my midsection. It may be something as easy as upping the reps and lowering the weight to burn more. I understand that there are many ways to adjust one's weight and I'm surrounded by experts here.

Hi SeaSiren,

Interesting is a good word I couldn't sleep for the longest time on my left side because my shoulder hurt so much. Rotators are so involved in everything.

I came across a couple of things that are supposed to help. Well, actually I bought a new pillow, high denstiy obus form foam pillow, you know those ones shaped like a hmmmm...... a shallow W? And, I bought a softer, more cushioned mattress. It helped. I was on another site (over 35 BB site) and the same issue came up. A number of them said that they did this exercise where you grasp a long stick (broomstick or something) lightly in your hands. Hold it straight out in front of you and rotate your arms slowly up over your head, behind your head, and down to the middle of your back while holding the stick and then bring them up, over your head and to the front again without letting go of the stick. I've started them but can't even get my arms rotated down over my head yet. I have very little flexibility in my shoulders obviously. They said it worked very well for them.

Alex has also told me to go lighter with more reps for those exercises impacting the shoulders. I felt a little twinge last night while doing bicep curls but I straightened my shoulder by shrugging it almost while I did the curls. It seemed to work.

Stay safe.

Peace......

The CULT is great stuff to listen to when w/o.

Tonight was arms night. A little apprehensive thinking about my rc. BUT I reminded myself to stay positive. Thinking pos leads to pos outcome. Neg leads to neg outcome.

Weight in lbs

BB curls: 10X35, 6X50, 6X55, 4X80 little twinge in left shoulder

Hammer curls: 5X30, 5X30, 4X35 (backed right off.....

Tricep Press BB: 10X50, 6X70, 6X90, 5X110

Cable push down rope attachment: 8X50, 6X60, 6X70

Hey shoulder is feeling ok so far

Abs: 20 situps Xbw, 10X25lbs, 10X25lbs, 10X35lbs

Shoulders and Traps

Stay positive, think about catching Bigbwii Bunny.....

RC warmup: 15mins

Standing shoulder press DBs: 15X30,

Military Press: 8X50, 8X65, 8X70

Lateral raises with crossover cables 8X5, 8X5

1 arm lateral raise cable on elbow: 8X15, 8X15 (fairly easy but need to take my time)

Shrugs BB: 10X100, 8X150, 8X150

Abs: 10Xbw, 10X45lbs, 10X55lbs, 10X70lbs

So far so good.

"Brother wolf and sister moon, the time has come....."

Good log!

For the rotator cuff injury, have you ever looked into ART (Active release therapy)? A lot of people who were told they'd never be able to bench/shoulder press again have gotten back to or beyond their original strength levels by undergoing ART treatments, so if you haven't looked into it, it may be worthwhile.

Also, check out a piece of equipment called the Shoulder Horn - it's pretty easy to find online, and apparently is an excellent item for rehabbing rotator injuries. Just a few thoughts on possible recovery tools!

Focus, focus...

Called a chiropractor today...THANKS FOR THE INFO VegEss!!!!!! The guy said he does do ART and in fact there have been improvements to the therapy.

Weight in lbs

Lat pull downs: 15X40, 8X100, 8X100, 9X100

Bent over row BB: 10X70, 8X100, 8X120, 8X120

Seated cable rows: 7X100, 8X100, 9X100

Feeling very "contained" and safe but better safe than sorry.

Brother wolf and sister moon your time has come.... and the wind will blow my fears away.......CULT

Saw the chiropractor today

Stop working the upper body Chest, back and traps have been overcompensating for the weak %^$#@% up rotator cuff muscles. Scar tissue, muscle atropy......and that was the stuff I understood

If I had gone in when I first injured it I would have been through therapy much much quicker. Now we have to deal with all the overcompensation stresses/issues rather than just the injury site.

LISTEN UP KIDDIES. DON'T IGNORE YOUR BODY. GET CHECKED OUT IF SOMETHING ISN'T FEELING RIGHT!!

dont worry too much about the weak rotator cuff - its really common, as most people tend to train the front of their bodies rather than the back. so chest, arms and shoulders get a hammering, adn backs get the odd token workout - i used to have pretty weak rotator cuffs, but now i do at least as many back workouts as front, they are in pretty good shape. i did find though that when i isolated my rotator cuffs with exercises, it only made matters worse.

jonathan

LISTEN UP KIDDIES. DON'T IGNORE YOUR BODY. GET CHECKED OUT IF SOMETHING ISN'T FEELING RIGHT!!

Thanks, Grandpa!

(it's always useful to listen to the experiences of elderly people, kids)

Sorry to hear that about your shoulder problems, Phoenix, but good that you know now what to do.

Soon your shoulder will be well again!

Light chest w/o. Trying to keep muscles active while not doing any more damage.

Flat bench press with BB 20X40, 8X60, 8X90, 8X110, 5X140, 4X140

Not too bad but I can see and feel now what the chiropractor was talking about with compensating for the shoulder. I can feel that my left pec not able to stretch as far as the right when I bring the weight down to my chest. Can really feel it being stretched whereas the right is completely relaxed and stretched out.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't you have better things to do than dig up old dusty threads

Actually, I've been going to a chiropractor about twice a week for the past 3 weeks and my shoulders are feeling much much better.

In fact, if you promise to keep a secret, I've been lifting during those three weeks when I'm not supposed to. Actually, I'm lifting very light but he said I could work my legs, so I've been doing that.

This has been a good exercise for me because I'm lifting smarter and really focusing on form and muscle control. I can already feel some change and see some change as well. I'm also incorporating rotator cuff exercises into my troutine as part of my warm ups.

So it's all good.

But thanks for noticing.......

Well, well, well, Mister

I need to concentrate. I remember you mentioning that in my journal. My prob is more like and dislike. It's hard to be motivated for something you don't enjoy.

I'm glad you're doing better! sometimes it's a gamble with chiropractors. Is he just massaging? Sometimes, just that is worth it!

And, hey, don't worry, you can trust me. I won't tell

~~~~~Yee heeheeheeeeee!

As for the not enjoying it........can you, and I hesitate to use this phrase....."reframe it"

1. Make it more enjoyable by creating a more enjoyable/conducive environment in which to w/o.

2. If you're a competitive person, start competing against yourself by setting achieveable targets and reward yourself for achieving them.

3. Again, turn the exercise itself into a medium for body/muscle awareness. Close your eyes when you lift and feel the muscles work. This practice translates very well into relaxation exercises and meditation.

I've worked out to Tibetan meditation themes/music/sounds in this manner and have found it to be very therapeutic for both mind and body.

The focus should not be so much on the pushing against the weight and yelling and groaning etc (that's fun too) but focusing inward with a mind trained on the movement, almost willing the weight to move rather than focusing your energy outward. Ya, I know, kinda cryptic but we can pm if you don't quite get it.

4. Positive and negative or good or bad, are only our reflections/perceptions of what is transpiring around us. We have the ultimate and final authority to decide how we are going to react. So, decide that it is not something you dislike. Decide instead that you will have an open mind about it and you will do it without deciding whether or not you like it. And perhaps in time you may decide that you do like it. It is beneficial, it does fit into your mindset about treating your body with respect BUT if it really isn't for you it isn't for you.

The chiropractor is great although many on this board will disagree. Mind you he hasn't doen any spine work beyond making sure things are in-line.

What he does is feel for scar tissue and in my case some adhesion to bone that shouldn't be there. He uh.....rather strenuously works to break up the scar tissue between the muscle fibres and then works to increase the range of motion. And it is working great.

I've never had a massage but I'm thinking I'll treat myself to that some time soon as well.

Peace...........

As for the not enjoying it........can you, and I hesitate to use this phrase....."reframe it"

1. Make it more enjoyable by creating a more enjoyable/conducive environment in which to w/o.

2. If you're a competitive person, start competing against yourself by setting achieveable targets and reward yourself for achieving them.

3. Again, turn the exercise itself into a medium for body/muscle awareness. Close your eyes when you lift and feel the muscles work. This practice translates very well into relaxation exercises and meditation.

I've worked out to Tibetan meditation themes/music/sounds in this manner and have found it to be very therapeutic for both mind and body.

The focus should not be so much on the pushing against the weight and yelling and groaning etc (that's fun too) but focusing inward with a mind trained on the movement, almost willing the weight to move rather than focusing your energy outward. Ya, I know, kinda cryptic but we can pm if you don't quite get it.

4. Positive and negative or good or bad, are only our reflections/perceptions of what is transpiring around us. We have the ultimate and final authority to decide how we are going to react. So, decide that it is not something you dislike. Decide instead that you will have an open mind about it and you will do it without deciding whether or not you like it. And perhaps in time you may decide that you do like it. It is beneficial, it does fit into your mindset about treating your body with respect BUT if it really isn't for you it isn't for you.

Excellent Post Phoenix!

The chiropractor is great although many on this board will disagree. Mind you he hasn't doen any spine work beyond making sure things are in-line.

I have heard good and bad things about chiropractors. My father uses one now (after a major car accident) and always feels so much better after he is finished a session. I really think it's like finding the right physician, some are great some are aweful. It sounds like you found a great one.

I've never had a massage but I'm thinking I'll treat myself to that some time soon as well.

Myself either. I once had a gift cert for one, but never went. The thought of some stranger touching me......eek.

Ya, I was grinning to myself SeaSiren and thinking about how to describe the chiropractic work so that it wouldn't frighten you off.

Myself either. I once had a gift cert for one, but never went. The thought of some stranger touching me......eek.

Ya, I wonder about that too but not to the point of eek

I went to a chiro for about 5 sessions after spraining my lower back. I think it helped speed the healing a bit, but it was something that would have taken care of itself naturally so it probably wasn't necessary. Though, I wanted to get back to lifting as quickly as possible, so maybe it was good.

Some people I've known say great things about chiro work, some say it's all a crock...definitely varying opinions out there. The work I had done was pretty simple - it was basically some contorted cracking of my back in about 5 different positions (which took about 3-4 minutes tops) followed by my lying on a table and getting an icy-hot type ultrasound to break up scar tissue in the injured area and that was it. There's not much "touching" involved - you lay on the weird table for the cracking, they'll push down on you a few times near your hip, then wrap your arms around like a pretzel and push a few more times for basic rehab stuff and that's about it. Like I said, should be about a half dozen crackings, takes a REALLY short time, then they'll probably pass you on to one of the technicians who just to the non-cracking stuff if need be and that's about it.

I'm very skeptical in the aspect that according to any chiro, you ALWAYS need work (pretty much because nobody has perfect spinal alignment), but if you're injured it is worth a shot. I wouldn't go to one if I wasn't feeling pain, so that pretty well sums up how I feel about the need to go to one!

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...