Stenno's Log

So here goes:-

Stats

Height: 1.83cm

Weight: 80kg

I've been working out for 3-4 months off and on. Everytime I go mind I've been doing the same stuff i.e. there is no Plan B!

Pull Down 60Kg 3x6

Row 47.5kg 3x6

Hip Abduction 55Kg 3x20

Hip Abduction 35Kg 3x20

Plank 60 secs x2

Squat 20Kg

Shoulder Press 22.5Kg per arm 3x6

Chest Press 20Kg per arm 3x6

Bar Curls 25Kg 3x6

Dumbbell Forearms 10Kg

Dumbbell Curl/Rev 10Kg

Situps 3x20

Bike/Treadmill 30mins

Seated Leg Press 100Kg 3x8

+ a few other bits

I usually find it takes me 72hrs to recover i.e. if I go on the monday I have to wait till Thursday before going again.

However, for the start of this log I'm going to try the Strong Lifts 5x5 beginner program.

I'll keep you posted

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thighs were still a tad tender today from upping my seated leg press weight by 25% the other day (silly I know) plus my forearms are hurting still. I have very skinny forearms, I'm very concious of them in fact and try to hide them most of the time. I almost feel that as I try to lift more weight, although my biceps/triceps etc can handle it, my forearms can't. It's like I've got stress fractures in them or something

Anyway today I just ran for an hour and then hit the sauna.

Back to weights on Tuesday.

So day one of the Strong Lifts 5x5 beginner program.

I had the day off work for my nan's funeral so I hit the gym in the morning. Was nice and quiet which was great to try all this for the first time. I think I might struggle in future as the gym is a busy place in the evenings, especially at this time of year. We shall see.

Squat: 35kg 5x5

Bench Press: 40Kg 5x5

Inverted Rows: 10-10-10

Push Ups: 10-10-10

Reverse Crunch: 12-10-8 (5Kg Counter Weight)

So some embarassing weights above but I want to start off and learn things the right way plus I'm wary of not having anyone to spot for me etc. Need to get some flat footwear for the squats too as I felt very unsteady in my running shoes.

So some embarassing weights above but I want to start off and learn things the right way plus I'm wary of not having anyone to spot for me etc. Need to get some flat footwear for the squats too as I felt very unsteady in my running shoes.

Yeah, you're best starting with low weights and not getting tempted to go up in increments more than 2.5kg (5kg for deadlift initially). Before you get suitable footwear in the meantime you'd be better taking your running shoes off and doing it barefoot (dunno if gyms allow this).

Remember and do the bodyweight exercises to failure in all 3 sets. There's no point stopping at a certain number when you can handle more. Plus when you can get to about 15 reps in your first set of push-ups stronglifts recommends you switch over to dips (they're easier to add weight to). With inverted rows after you can do about the same with your feet elevated you'd be as well switching over to barbell rows. Both of these will make you much stronger and will assist your other exercises.

Tonight sucked. There are just SO many new people at the gym, it being January and all. I couldn't get on the rack. Lots of numbskulls with no gym etiquette etc *humph*

Couldn't get to do the Plan B of StongLifts 5x5 Beginner tonight in full.

Treadmill: 20mins

Squat: 0

Overhead Press: 0 However used the shoulder press machince 60Kg 5x5

Deadlift: 45kg 5x5

Pull Ups/Chin Ups: 0 (Completely forgot about these)

Prone Bridges: 60secs x3

Plus...

Hip Abduction <> : 55kg 3x20

Hip Abduction >< : 35kg 3x20

Seated leg press: 85kg 5x5

Front Pulldown: 90kg 5x5

Might start going to the gym in the morning before work, see if it is any quieter.

Sunday afternoon and the gym wasn't as busy this time thank goodness.

Cycle: 10 mins

Treadmill: 10 mins

The StrongLifts 5×5 Program - Workout A

Squat: 40kg 5x5

Bench Press: 45kg 5x5

Inverted Rows: 10,10,10

Push-ups: 10,9,8

Reverse Crunch: 3x12

Dead lift: 50kg 5x5

Treadmill: 20 mins

The StrongLifts 5×5 Program - Workout A.....B

Squat: 42.5kg 5x5

Chinups: 6,5,6

Prone Bridge: 60secs x 3

Reverse Crunch: 12,6,6

+

Pulldown: 60kg 5x5

Row: 47.5kg 5x5

Seated Leg Press 80-100kg 5x5

Short on time today due to supporting my rugby team in an away game...

X-Trainer: 10 mins

The StrongLifts 5×5 Program - Workout A.....B

Prone Bridge: 60,60,30sec

Squat: 40-50kg 5x5

Inverted Rows: 10,10,10

Dead Lift: 40-50kg 5x5

Overhead Press: 50kg 5x5 (using the shoulder press machine)

Had one of those depressed days today where you feel like you're never gonna get big etc so probably did more than necessary...

Treadmill: 30 mins

The StrongLifts 5×5 Program - Workout A.....B... kinda

Squat: 40-50kg 5x5

Overhead Press: 55kg 5x5 (using the shoulder press machine)

Pulldown (closed hand): 60kg 5x5

Pulldown (open hand independant): 40kg 5x5

Row: 47.5kg 5x5

Bench Press: 40kg 5x5

Seated Leg Press: 100kg 5x5

Reverse Crunch: 4kg 12,10,8

Hey man just checking in!

Where did all these machine and cable exercises come from? Machine ain't no replacement for overhead press. Leg press ain't a replacement for squats. Near are pulldowns for pull-ups.

Put enough weight on your Squats so you wouldn't be able to bear a single leg press If you keep adding weight to the main lifts you'll prob find you won't have the energy or time for the other exercises. Especially squats/deads. Get that bar loaded!

You've got a decent work set of chins there. If they don't feel like enough, at the end of your 3xF, jump up and do negatives, 10 reps, lower yourself as slowly as you can. It'll kill you! Don't drop your arms for the whole time either Same for pull-ups.

How's the diet? eating enough?

Hey Chewy!

hehe yeah you're right, I know! I keep thinking about finding a new gym because the weights section at mine only has one rack so it's a struggle to get on it! The machines are often free! But like you say, I will up the weight asap!

As for the pull ups etc don't get me wrong, my technique isn't perfect, I'm not doing full extensions at the bottom! I'll give the jump ups and negatives a go though!

As for diet, not much has changed. I've been trying to break my meals up and eat more moderately but more frequently through out the day. Need to get the diet sorted out.

Gonna have to stick to some press ups and sit ups for now as I had some verucas frozen off yesterday so I'm limping all over the place.

Hope you're having a good weekend!

Yeah man I'd switch gym, can't imagine what that'd be like! Sometimes I'm glad I've got all my stuff in the house.

Yeah will pull-ups/chins, go to full lockout for the first 3 sets and then do negatives, they really help!

Cool, benching shouldn't be a problem either yeah?

Weekends going okay, though I work weekends. Hope you're stuffing your face with yours!

Foot aches a bit from having had a veruca frozen off but alas...

X-Trainer: 10 mins

Squat: 45-60kg 5x5

Overhead Press: 30kg 5x5 (free weights this time!!!)

Prone Bridges: 60secs x3

Reverse Crunch: 4kg 12,12,8

Deadlift: 45-60kg 5x5

Hip abductions in: 35-55kg 20x3

Hip abductions out: 55-75kg 20x3

Nice and quiet at the gym so had the rack to myself. Felt good.

Thursday PM, this will probably be my last work out before I fly out to Canada on Sunday unless I squeeze something in Saturday PM. I'll see how I feel.

X-Trainer: 20 mins

Squat: 50-60kg 5x5

Bench Press: 40-45kg 5,5,5,5,4

Prone Bridge: 60secs x3

Pressups: 20,15,10

Situps: 20x3

Skull Crusher: 17.5kg 5x5

Post workout snack: Marmite and Banana toasted sandwich! Was better than it sounds!

Edited by Stenno

In Canada right now so apart from watching the Olympics I'm not up to much. Maybe I'll just pile on some pounds whilst here!

I did go to my friends gym yesterday and did a spin class, was hard work! My backside is so sore today, on an unrelated note! haha kidding, not been on a saddle in ages, ouch.

Would have done some weights but all they had was electric resistance machines which sucked.

• 2 weeks later...

Had another trip to the chiropodist Saturday after returning from Canada on Friday. Had more 'controlled frostbite' on my veruca so no gym for a bit. Been doing some pressups and sit ups in the mean time.

Can't wait to get back to it, this sucks!

After barely doing a thing and then having "controlled frostbite" on my verucas for a second time, finally got down the gym today. Bout bloody time! Was hella rushed though...

Step Machine: 10 mins

Squat: 50-60kg 5x5

Bench Press: 40-45kg 5x5

Dead Lifts: 50-55Kg 5x5

Table tennis with my sister, I won

Well after crippling my thighs last time due to the three week break, tonight the gym was manic. I underlined it just to emphasize

X-trainer: 30mins

Pulldown: 50kg 5x5

Seated row: 45kg 5x5

Seated leg press: 85kg 5x5

Meh. I'm not gonna get anywhere at this rate.

Went on a date last night with a vegan lady, we had dinner at Vegan Routes in Soho which is a vegan restaurant on an old routemaster bus which is quirky.

Didn't have time to do much today.

X Trainer warmup: 10 mins

Squat: 50-65kg 5x5

Shoulder press: 30kg 5x3

Started my new protein today. Had a 1/3 each of soy, brown rice and pea protein. Tasted awful which can only be a good thing