CLARK X KENT 2010.. I need some help

Well I'm back.

It's been a loooong loooong time since Ive logged in.

What's new? Well I'm still working out, I quit kung fu because of time issues. And the club moved away from my area, so it was impossible to train with them. I'd be on the road for 3 hours ...

As for now I'm gonna focus on weightlifting only...

My goal for 2010 ? Getting ripped and getting bigger... as natural as possible.

Everyone at the gym juices or takes any supplement they can get their hands on... and i feel akward training around 'em. I'm actuallt pretty much ignored when their posse works out. And some guys act like pricks...

Ah well I don't have the feeling that i'm getting behind of them. They're kind of freaked out by the fact that I can lift as much as they can.. since I'm shorter as them, and I am always referred to as: "meat is murder guy". Yeah I work out in THE SMITHS shirts ( i love the smiths).

They're also freaked out by the fact that I don't use supplements except for soy protein... one shake a day. I'm not sure if I should take it all as a compliment, but the thing is that I have a lot questions concerning weightlifting and no one at the gym seems to be able to answer them. I have the feeling that they just make fun of me.

And that's why I'm spilling my beans here.

Don't worry, I'll clean 'em later...

Here are the specs these days:

arms are both 40,7 cm which grew 2 cm in one year (is that any good ?)

chest is 113 cm

waist (measured on stomach) is 96cm.

Legs measured/tighs are 60,5 cm

my goal is to cut down on the waist and gain on the chest legs and arms... current weight 87kg.

I'm trying to cut and this what I'm eating:

7:00 am cereal with soy milk

10:00 am: peanutbutter sandwich and some muesli with soy milk

noon: some soup, a banana, 3 peanutbutter full grain sandwhiches, soy protein shake...

4:00 pm mueslibar and some water

5:00 pm gym! + banana

8:00 pm; 4 potatoes, tofu and a lot of vegetables.

10:00 pm apple and some nuts.

the only supplement I ever took was SOY protein and that's it actually. I also think that I easli drink 2 lieters of water a day...

Work out:

tuesday:

(maximum weight i can take is in brackets/// sometimes they're to failure)

Benchpress (110 kg)

crossovers (35 kg)

fly machine (50 kg)

flies laying down (25 kg)

scott curls (40 kg)

hammers (20 kg;.. 24 on good days)

biceps machine (60 kg)

concetration curls (20 kg)

wednesday:

Triceps pull down (50kg)

bent over triceps (20 kg)

pull down with rope (20 kg)

dips

dumbell behind head (30 kg/// bad for my shoulder on left side)

rowing machine (90 kg)

dumbbell rows (38 kg)

chin ups (body weight + 10 kg)

standing straight arm pull downs (35 kg)

lateral pull downs in neck... (70kg)

friday

behind neck press (100 kg on good days ...)

arnolds (20 kg)

Front raise (15 kg)

side cable raise (15 kg)

squats (80 kg)

calves exercise (130 kg)

leg extentions (60 kg)

leg press (100 kg)

That's about it...

any advice is appreciated. I'm just eager to gain some knowledge on how to decently bulk and cut... after all those years I'm still not good at it

8 months ago

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/16/l_fc1d64417a324b49bb69772be9e49f11.jpg

3 months ago (cut my hair)

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/84/l_4022f9f58855456f82baba3d3a3e7371.jpg

Take care,

CLARK X KENT

Hey Clark. Love The Smiths too (and am also a musician/ former martial artist). You look like you have quite a large frame with lots of muscle on it. My advice is to maybe add higher reps/ lower weight for a little while. Maybe also do some circuit training to keep your heart rate up/ burn more fat. By changing it up you'll shock your body which is good for getting out of plateaus. For adding more muscle mass, I'd also try doing full body workouts for awhile, focusing on as many multi joint exercises as possible. That will also shock your body into changing. I'd add a deadlift to your routine too, it's a great exercise. How many days a week do you workout? Every other day is good because it gives your muscles an opportunity to rest and grow. Maybe add some cardio on your off days.

MATE! Welcome back!

I tried texting you last september because me and 18 other guys took a trip to Belgium to see Guns up! and I hoped you were gonna be there. Not sure if the text ever reached you. Anyway it's great to hear something from you again.

Is everything going well with the band? Tell your family I said hi and thanks for everything (if they remember me).

I might be going to Belgium in May for the last True Colors show. Maybe I'll see you there =)

xxx

haha Hey Johan!

sure thing man.

I just told my parents and they said hi!!!

"they were such nice kids" hahaha.

Ah well, if you need a place to crash or something give me a call, I'm probably going as well. And JUSTICE is playing a few shows again as well !!!!!!!

0032470800472. It's a new number because someone stole my cellphone a few months ago...

the band broke up last week by the way and now i'm only in a postrock band. And everyone I know dropped out here... even the "huge vegan edge warrior" over here dropped out and got coverup tattoos... oh dear

glad to hear from you man

take care!

Yesterday I want to the gym while I was ill. I was like "NO EXCUSES BOY! GO TO THE GYM".

Benchpressing didn't go to well... as for the rest of the chest exercises. I was REALLY light in my head when i finished it. Not so smart to go training while i had the flue ...

Biceps went suprisingly well.

I scott curled 4 kg's more, biceps machine was 80 kg's, hammers 25 on each arm... etc.

today i have a fever an dthe only prescription is 'more cowbell!"... I wish it was more cowbell.

So no gym for me today, it will save me a lot of frustration as well. I'm gonna rest.

Hey buddy I saw your post in my journal and thank you very much! You look solid in the first picture! I'm on my iPhone right now so I'll look at your workout and such a little later tonight and post more.

Ps- will you post conversion formula for cm/inches. I'm in Alabama US and we measure not in cm. Lol

Hey buddy I saw your post in my journal and thank you very much! You look solid in the first picture! I'm on my iPhone right now so I'll look at your workout and such a little later tonight and post more.

Ps- will you post conversion formula for cm/inches. I'm in Alabama US and we measure not in cm. Lol

no problem at all! You deserve it man. You loook awesome.

I calculated it already. So here you go

chest is 44.5 inches

arms are 16 inches each (it was pretty hard to get 'em both the same size.)

waist 37.8 in

legs 23.8 in

not sure if that's any good.

I have the feeling that my arms traps and shoulders and legs are "ok". BUT that I have way too much bodyfat on trhe waist.

andwell i was wondering if it's ok if I throw in a lot of cardio in my workout. a lot of people at the gym said I'de loose most of the muscle mass. And I'm getting paranoia about it. Plus I have the feeling that lmy diet is not 100% right either

new training for the next 6 weeks.

tuesday:

standing scott curls 5 x 8

hammers 5 x 8

dumbbell curls 5 x 8

preacher curls 5 X 8

Benchpress 5 x 10

Cable cross over 5 x 8

Pullovers 5 x 8

Flying machine 5 x 8

wednesday:

push down: 5 X 8

bent over kickback: 5 x 8

rope: 5 x 8

lat pull 5 x 8

bent over row with dumbbells: 5 x8

push down: straight arms: 5 x 10

Rowing 5 x 12

Thursday rest

Friday:

neck press: 5 x 10

arnold press 6 x 8

bent over raises: 5 x 12

upright rowing 5 x 10

Legpress 10 x 10

squats 8 x 8

leg extentions 6 x 20

calve raises 10 x 25

some questions?

When do I put in abs?

When is the best time for cardio?

How do I do my cardio best?

I don't wanna lose too much muscle

• 2 weeks later...

if you do the HIIT cardio (high intensity intervals) and up the protein you should be ok. Just make sure to NOT do them before you lift. After or a separate day, but not a rest day (obviously).

Right? I know you can't easily add bulk and lost fat, but you should be able to lose fat and maintain mass. (someone correct me if Im wrong, but that's how I understand it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious about the program -

1. Why so much arm work? Unless you've either built up an extreme need to do that much or are juiced, there are very, very few people who would need to do 20 sets of biceps work and 15 sets of tricep work (particularly triceps the day after benching, when your they will already have been taxed quite a bit from the lockout portion of the bench).

2. That's a LOT of leg work to be doing. Truthfully, if you're squatting all-out and getting the most out of your sets, 8x8 alone should be enough to leave you unable to walk for the rest of the day. I couldn't see making 10 sets of leg presses first and doing extra work after squats with that kind of volume if I gave my squats everything I had in me.

With this kind of volume, you can't possibly go all-out with full intensity on every set to get the best results, but I can see it if you're using your lifting in place of cardio work (as I did for a while, doing 15-20 sets for large muscle groups and 5-10 for smaller ones). Perhaps you've always done these excessively long routines, I don't know for sure, but sometimes less is more, better to put in 100% for 5-10 sets per body part than 75% of your best for 20 sets.

For how much time I'm assuming that you're training on these days with this kind of massive volume, I can't even see a need for added cardio right away. I'd think that maybe just shaving a bit of time off your rest periods would do well enough (unless you already are having shorter rests of 2 minutes or less between sets). To me, this looks like a recipe for serious overtraining (particularly if you're going to add cardio in with it, and if you restrict calories, you're DEFINITELY going to lose muscle), and that you might get better results by simplifying and doing less work with more weight and greater intensity. I'd much more suggest something like this:

Tuesday - Chest and Triceps

Bench press (DB or BB) - 5x10

Choose any other assistance chest exercises, either done as 1 exercise for 5x8 or two others for 3x8 each

Triceps, 2 exercises of your choice, 3x8 each

Wednesday - Back and biceps

Choose 2 good compound back exercises (preferably, something like DB/BB rowing for one and pull-ups or pulldowns for the other), 5x10 for each

Shurgs - 5x10

Face Pulls on cable machine w/rope 3x10 (standing or seated, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQuDvIt0Qxsfor demo)

Choose 2 biceps exercises, done for 3x8 each

Friday - Legs and shoulders

Squats - 8x8

Hamstring/glue assistance work, either glute/ham raises (if you have the proper equipement), otherwise 1-legged Romanian deadlifts or deep 1-legged leg presses off the heel instead, done for 3x8

Calf work for 3x8 if you desire

Barbell or dumbbell overhead press, standing or seated - 5x8

Rear delt flyes or similar movement, 3x8

And of course, the program is missing anything directly for lower back, so I'd also suggest incorporating some deadlifts or other lower back work in, but that's your choice.

This would simplify things, and given 100% intensity and focus, should be more than enough and would still allow for some cardio work if you wanted. Doing 30+ sets in a workout doesn't leave much left for any necessity for cardio since your sessions must be extremely long to get the volume of lifting completed, but a more moderate program like this would be fine to incorporate some. For ab work, maybe do some weighted sit-ups for 3x10 twice weekly whenever you like (done to where every set is very difficult to complete, hold weight behind the neck as needed to add resistance).

A program doesn't need to be too heavy on volume to be good for conditioning and fat loss - it's all about intensity, because if you can breeze through 20 sets of arm work, then your intensity is far from optimal and you'd be much better off to work harder for fewer sets.

Just some ideas from a different perspective - I'd always prefer to see people spend less time training for the same or better results than can be achieved on a marathon super-volume workout plan, which for most people is going to be too much!

I REALLY apreciate the help. And you're right about the lower back part as well. I'm gonna throw that in as well.

The problem with my legs is that I was a skateboarder and a kung fu competitor a few years ago. That both required a lot of leg work.

It's really hard for me these days to get a "tired" feeling in my legs, which gets frustrating after a while. Last week I threw in 20 kg's more on each exercise and that worked better for me... I felt it the day afterwards, and it felt good as well.

The arms... well what can I say. I still have the feeling that I look really really "small".

Well I truely appreciate the help.

And starting on next monday I'm gonna try the workout that you suggested.

Thank you!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hey dude,

sorry mate i didn't make it this year.

Just came out of some pretty "harsh" times/

You should hook up on msn or something! That would be awesome.

[email protected]

Well what's new:

Just got back into the whole thing. I have more time and seem to have healed pretty well...

I'm cutting right now and since a month I've lost 14 pounds.

It's really weird how you see you're body changing... really WEIRD! But I was too "fat" so I needed it. It's not fun, since I see myself shrinking, but I have to think posi and think that It will be MUSCLE that will be left in the end...

shedule for now:

Tuesday:

benchpress 5 x 10 (max in the last set= 100 kg)

pullovers 5 x 10 (max in the last set= 45 kg)

cable crossovers 5 X 10 (max in the last set= 35 kg)

Flies 5 x 10 (max in the last set= 60 kg)

Triceps pushdown 5 X 10 (max in the last set= 50 kg)

Triceps rope pull down 5 x 10 (max in the last set= 30 kg)

Dips 5 x 10 (full bodyweight)

Triceps concentration extensions (max in the last set, one arm = 35 kg)

Abs set: 100 crunches

Wednesday:

Lateral pully behind neck 4 X 10 (max in the last set= 80 kg)

Bent over row 5 X 8 (max in the last set= 45 kg)

Deadlifts 5 x 8 (max in the last set= 70 kg)

Lat pully to chest (max in the last set= 80 kg)

Scott curl 5 X 10 (max in the last set= 40 kg)

Biceps Curl 5 X 10 (max in the last set= 25 kg)

Biceps Machine 5 X 10 (max in the last set= 60 kg)

Concetration curls to failure ...

Abs set: 100 crunches

Hitt treadmill 15 minutes.

Friday:

Squats 5 X 10 (max in the last set= 100 kg)

Calves raises 5 x 10 (max in the last set= 140 kg)

Leg press: 5 x 10 (max in the last set= 280 kg)

seated calves: 160 kg to failure

Abs : 100 crunches

Hiit 15 minutes treadmill

calorie intake is around 2700 now.

And I really really need some help to make my biceps grow... I can't seem to let 'em pop out.

well yesterday I had a terrible pain in my shoulder. At 1 am it was unbearable, I went straight to the doctor and got three shots right in the place where it hurt.

It was deep inside the shoulder, near the joint.

Let me tell you that 12 cm long needles that disappear in your shoulder are NOT a cool sight

my gf almost fainted.

Apparently I had a inflammation of the cartilage.

And I'm gonna take it easy today...