Healthy Recipe Thread (Fuhrman-ish)

Fallen_Horse

Hi all!

I hope I get some good replies to this, as I am kind of lost on my own. I am trying to follow a diet that more closely resembles Dr. Fuhrman's plan (not 100%, but closer). Hence, I am trying to find a whole foods way to get a good protein shake after workouts.

Now, I have the taste buds of a 70 year old chain smoker (AKA not much) so the below recipe tastes fine to me. What I am looking for, however, is a way to get more protein and nutrients into the shake without killing the taste. Does anyone have any ideas, or perhaps some whole food shakes of their own to contribute? It would be much appreciated.

Current Shake:

1 banana

1 outer leaf romaine

6 oz lite silken tofu

1 oz OJ concentrate (unsweetened)

This comes out to what you see in the file below. The amino acid score is 91, not 9. Don't know what happened there

2023839703_NutritionInfo.thumb.png.fec7f859bc951f6c3fc36cfd5f5d305f.png

Def in support of this thread. There's a video on youtube when Joel F and a lady (probably his wife) does a fig/banana ice cream that's delicious. I do it several times a week with my own additions.

I don't know how much of what the original recipe calls for but I usually take

200 grams of banana. Peel, chop and freeze.

50 grams of dried figs.

This alone tastes great but try adding 30-50 grams of frozen berries (blue, black and raspberries are my favourites). I haven't tried adding nutbutters myself but I bet it's delicious.

Also the "healthy apple crisp" posted here http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/recipes-healthy-apple-crisp-and-sweet-potato-pie.html is awesome. I've done it twice but once I changed the oats for millet and the wheat flour for brown rice flour. Soo taste. I also added ginger bread spice instead of just cinnamon.

Johan wrote:

I also added ginger bread spice instead of just cinnamon.

I cant find the stuff in my grocery store. I looked in the baking section and the spice section. I must be looking for it in the wrong places. Where do you get it Johan?

Sweden. And gingerbread is HUGE here, specially around christmas.

It's pretty simple to do yourself. Cinnamon, cardamom, clove and ginger (all grounded/powdered). Ginger is the least essential (despite the english name, in Sweden it's called peppercake). My favourite "home mixed" is 1/2 cinammon, 1/4 cardamom and 1/4 clove.

Johan wrote:

I also added ginger bread spice instead of just cinnamon.

I cant find the stuff in my grocery store. I looked in the baking section and the spice section. I must be looking for it in the wrong places. Where do you get it Johan?

Sweden. And gingerbread is HUGE here, specially around christmas.

It's pretty simple to do yourself. Cinnamon, cardamom, clove and ginger (all grounded/powdered). Ginger is the least essential (despite the english name, in Sweden it's called peppercake). My favourite "home mixed" is 1/2 cinammon, 1/4 cardamom and 1/4 clove.

You can also just buy some pumpkin pie spice. They are essentially the same thing. I've never seen gingerbread spice in America, but pumpkin pie spice is widely available.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm enjoying my own version of these as I am writing http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08/skinny-figgy-bars.html

I replaced the oats with millet flakes and the grinded oats with brown rice flour (same weight as the millet). I didn't use any agave but replaced it with (more) appelsauce in the crust and just water in the filling. Also I didn't use oil I just baked it on a baking sheet. Not ideal for weight loss at all but a pretty healthy quick energy dense snack. Fuck Atkins, let's carb!

• 3 weeks later...

I just made sort of a pudding/mousse thing with baked sweet potatoes, fresh dates and cocoa. It tasted something like heaven and was damn filling. Last weekend I also baked a cake on sweet potato, cocoa, apple sauce, brown rice flour and baking powder it was so damn good.

• 2 weeks later...
You can also just buy some pumpkin pie spice. They are essentially the same thing. I've never seen gingerbread spice in America, but pumpkin pie spice is widely available.
Cardamom is actually pretty hard to find in the US.

Really? I see cardamom everywhere. Do you mean cardamom pods, or ground cardamom? I usually see ground cardamom in the baking/spice aisle of any grocery store, but cardamom pods I've only seen once at an Indian grocery store.

Cardamom is actually pretty hard to find in the US.

Really? I see cardamom everywhere. Do you mean cardamom pods, or ground cardamom? I usually see ground cardamom in the baking/spice aisle of any grocery store, but cardamom pods I've only seen once at an Indian grocery store.

Pods. I've never needed ground cardamom but have found a few recipes that call for the pods.

I am really happy with my results today. The recipes turned out great, and they are actually tasty AND healthy. Amazing I know. Also note, these puddings can be used as a filling for pumpkin pies!

Pumpkin Pie Pudding

I used a hefty amount of spices for this recipe, perhaps too strong for most, so the spices are really to taste...

1 package silken lite tofu (12oz or so)

1 can / 400g pumpkin (no salt added)

1/4c date sugar

2 tbsp cinnamon

1 tbsp allspice

1 tbsp nutmeg

Process everything in a food processor/blender, refrigerate, and enjoy!

The nutritiondata.com analysis is a little off b/c they don't list date sugar (what I used) so I just used the entry for maple sugar, which is very nutritionally similar...

http://imgur.com/az66e.jpg

Blueberry Pudding

Be sure to dry the berries if you are rinsing them, and drain as much of the water out of the tofu as you can beforehand. This recipe has a tendency to be more runny than the pumpkin one...

1 package silken lite tofu (12oz or so)

1 package blueberries (6oz)

1 tbsp date sugar

1 tsp lemon juice (or more to taste)

Process everything in a food processor/blender, refrigerate, and enjoy!

Again, the nutritiondata.com analysis is a little off b/c they don't list date sugar (what I used) so I just used the entry for maple sugar, which is very nutritionally similar...

http://imgur.com/HkH2w.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

made the black bean brownies for diseaseproof.com. Next time probably will be using banana and raisan instead of applesauce to sweeten the brownies.

Black Bean Brownies

½ cup dark cocoa powder

2 t. vanilla

1 t. baking soda

1 (15 oz.) can of salt-free black beans (drain liquid)

1 large handful of sunflower seeds or 1 T. ground flaxseed

1 ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce

2 cups pitted dates (chopped)

¾ cup whole wheat flour

1 cup walnuts

Put the first six ingredients in a food processor. Turn it on and then gradually add the 2 cups of chopped dates, a few at a time until blended. Add the flour and continue to mix until everything is well blended. Turn off the machine, remove the blade, and stir in the nuts. Spread into a 13” x 9” pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

What was the texture like? I've made black bean brownies before, but they turned out like mush. The recipe was different though, it didn't have the dates.

they are thick and solid. Not flaky nor wet but thick or perhaps dense and substantial. I thought that they would be mushy to as a had to use the vitamix because my food processor was too small. So i had to dump it into the beast and add water. It thickens quickly and I was also having to make the wheat flour as I had forgotten to do it earlier (i always make the flour in my vitamix) so I had the wheat berries in with the mix. I also used two delicious apples instead of apple sauce, as I usually make that in the vitamix also. LOL But in the end it turned out quite well. Not sweet enough but good. Like I said I will try it with bananas and raisins next instead of the applesauce. I also should say that I used a convection oven not a radiant one. That may have drown some of the moisture out. I should also say that I do not have the imput of a woman who are better at judging the taste of chocolate. But they taste chocolate to me.