Rob's Firefighter Challenge

02/02/2010

At work today for 24 hrs. Back's bothering me a little. No workout today, unless you include picking up heavy patients on the stretcher. Plus my arms and chest are a bit sore from yesterday. A good kinda sore.

Food:

Bowl of Grape Nuts cereal with Coconut Milk and Soy Milk (not a good idea...I was almost out of coconut milk, so i used it all up, and continued with soy milk...it curdled and was just weird. )

3 bananas

2 navel oranges

sandwhich: 2 slices of Ezekiel bread, Vegenaise, 6 slices of Tofurky lunch"meat", about 2 handfulls of alfalfa sprouts, and a handful of heirloom lettuce (with the red and green kind)

1 PB Cliffs bar

another sandwhich exactly like the one previously mentioned...and then i ate the rest of the lettuce in the box

2 meat-free Gardein BBQ skewers with the aforementioned sauce

broccoli slaw

I could try to eat some more, but we have really run our asses off on the ambulance today and i'm just too tired. gonna go lay down until the bell goes off again

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

02/03/2010

Last night was rougher than I could have possibly imagined. My shift fought a fully involved trailer fire, where 3 small children died inside. That's how bad the fire was. My boys couldn't even get inside because it was that hot, and there was that much fire. It wouldn't have mattered anyway though, those kids had to be dead before our people got there. I thank GOD that I was across the city when this happened. I've had kids die on me before, and I would do absolutely anything not to have to go through that again. My partner and I were at the hospital transferring over a patient we had picked up when this was going on, and we listened to it all on the portable radios we have...It was awful. So the general mood and morale, is currently, as can be expected, very low. Surprisingly, I didn't feel like taking it out on barbells and weight plates. I decided to go to Yoga instead.

Activity:

1 hour of hot yoga. I hadn't been in a while, but with the exception of a few difficult poses/stretches, you wouldn't have known it

1 hour of Wing Chun

Food:

bowl of Grape Nuts cereal with soymilk and banana

3 plums

2 PB Cliff Bars

Strawberry dried fruit wrap (50 cal)

Apple-strawberry dried fruit wrap (50 cal)

another banana

14 kim chi dumplings

half a loaf of Sicilian sundried tomato ciabatta with olive oil

Tofurky kielbasa, brown rice, spinach, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and black-eyed peas

Edited by Rob PMFF

02/04/2010

Work-out:

Squat: 95 lbs, 5 sets of 5

- I wanted to try these "deep squats" that everyone had been talking about, so I went down in weight significantly to ensure I did them correctly and safely. I definitely felt that "pride" issue about using less weight for (almost) the same exercise

Dumbell Calf-Raises: 100 lbs x 10, 110 lbs x 10, 120 lbs x 10, 110lbs x 10, 100lbs x 10

Hanging Leg Lifts: 5 sets of 5, no added weight

Reverse Crunches: 5 sets of 10 - I hope I was doing these right

I also tried to figure out the kinda twisting "axe-chopping" simulation exercise on one of the big cable machines, for obliques...but I don't think I was doing it right, so I stopped. Any advice or video links from anyone on this?

The only time I ever really felt any back discomfort was BETWEEN squat sets. Like going under or coming out from under the bar.

Food:

bowl of Grape Nuts cereal with soy milk and some raisins

an avacado

strawberry dried fruit wrap

4 Gardein meat-free BBQ skewers

a big bunch of white grapes

some baby carrots

Tofurky kielbasa, spinach, brown rice, garlic, olive oil, black eyed peas and tomatoes

a banana

Tofurky kielbasa, whole wheat penne, and marinara

sauteed spinach and mushrooms

Edited by Rob PMFF

02/05/2010

Workout:

Deadlift - 135 lbs x 5, 150 lbs 4 sets of 5

- I went light on this today (especially the first set) to make sure there was no back pain. And there was none , but maybe it wasn't such a great idea to do this the day after Squats, I definitely still felt the damage from them in my quads, hams and glutes. I'll have to break up my week differently next time.

Bent-over Rows - 95 lbs 5 sets of 5

Hypers (lower back) - 3 sets of 10, no weight

Barbell Curls - 55 lbs x 5, 60 lbs x 5, 65 lbs x 5, 70 lbs 2 sets of 5

-By the last set, I felt like I could have done 70 lbs for all 5 sets (at least). It had been about a year since I used a barbell for curls, so I wasn't sure where to start. Oh well, I'll know next time.

I wanted to do some cardio today, but it started snowing outside and I didn't want to get caught driving in it again (last time someone hit me). Just as well probably, my legs were feeling pretty drained from yesterday and today.

Food:

Pro bar Koka moka

Bowl of Grape Nuts Cereal with soy milk and banana

1 navel orange

PB Cliffs Bar

PB Cliffs Builder Bar

another banana

Tofurky kielbasa with marinara and whole wheat penne

2 handfuls of alfalfa sprouts

broccoli slaw

some dried figs, dried kiwi, and sunflower seeds

2 slices ezekiel bread, almond butter, strawberry simply fruit

tofu & vegetable stir fry with brown rice

vegetable dumplings

Edited by Rob PMFF

02/06/2010

Working today for 24 hours, no gym time. Its snowing, so I'm not gonna go out to the shack and freeze my ass off while using rusted free weights.

Food:

Bowl of Grape Nuts cereal with soymilk and banana

2 navel oranges

2 pieces of fruit leather

Pro Bar Koka Moka

sandwich: 2 slices ezekiel bread, 6 slices tofurky, vegenaise, spinach, alfalfa sprouts

another banana

whole wheat penne with marinara and torfuky kielbasa

PB Cliffs Bar

Edited by Rob PMFF

I don't like the belt idea at all.

Don't know what to do, honestly. Damned if I do, damned if I don't, it seems like.

02/08/2010

At work again 24 hrs. Did nothing strenuous yesterday. Spent the day with my wife: Went to Church, took a nap, watched TV (but not the Superbowl ), ate food (but not as much as usual).

Food:

Bowl of Grape Nuts cereal with soy milk, 12 blackberries, and a banana

2 navel oranges

2 more bananas

1 PB Cliffs Bar

2 bowls of brown rice, tofurky kielbasa, black-eyed peas, spinach, tomatoes, and garlic

2 strawberry fruit leathers

bowl of whole wheat penne, cashew cream sauce, sundried tomatoes, basil, and a Boca chikin patty

Well, I did it again...Tuesday, February 9, I went to Deadlift. I spent a long time stretching, because I was going to do an experiment. I put 135 on the ground and tried it with no belt. Second rep, first set, same tearing sensation as 2 weeks ago. I thought I was past this. I at least felt at 80% when I got there. Apparently not enough. I guess I jumped back in too soon. I thought I accounted for this, which is why I used the bare minimum on the barbell. I just don't understand this. 2 years ago I could do 225 lbs with no belt, what happened? I talked to my dad who used to be a trainer. He says maybe I'm just too tall for DLs. Went back to the doc today, and I'm down and out for 2 weeks now. Can't even go to work. Fuck.

that sucks. really bad. any way you can stack up some plates on the ground or something to get the bar higher without using 45lb plates? might be easier on the back. or, is there a way to isolate the torn muscle once you get the green light, in order to strengthen it a bit? (slowly!).

get well soon.

I'm chomping at the bit to get back to doing things. This 2 weeks of inactivity SUCKS. And I'm only halfway there. I've been trying to stay off this forum, because it's depressing not being able to "play along" as it were. But I've been lurking around here and there.

wow really sorry 2 hear about the back again. I am sure you are going crazy letting it heal. most back injuries I've seen from deadlifts are from losing the lumbar curve and rounding the back to get the weight up. are you making sure you don't lose your lumbar curve? Hope you can get back @ it soon!

• 2 weeks later...

03/02/2010

First day back at the gym in what? 2 and a half to 3 weeks, I guess. Back is STILL bothering me a little. Some pain to the left of my lumbar spine, it's relatively constant, and no amount of stretching really seems to affect it. Since I got cleared to go back to work last Thursday, I saw no reason not to start working out again. I kept it really simple today, kinda testing the waters. Quite honestly, I'm scared. That may sound silly, but I'm twice bitten, thrice shy with back injuries. I can't keep getting injured and missing work. I've got plenty of sick leave, but it just looks bad. Plus it's a very physical career, and if I get injured and can't perform my job functions, it better be while I'm on the clock, otherwise I'm screwed. I doubt I'll deadlift again any time soon. Here's what I did today, nothing impressive:

Assisted Pull-ups: 90 lbs? Assistance, 5 sets of 5

Assisted Dips: 90 lbs? Assistance, 5 sets of 5

Hypers: No weight, 5 sets of 5

Hanging Leg Lifts: No weight, 5 sets of 5

Reverse Crunches: 3 sets of 10

Eliptical: 10 minutes (Would have gone longer, but its been almost 3 weeks since I've done cardio, plus the woman next to me kept popping her chewing gum, and it was really annoying)

Food:

2 PB Cliffs Bars

Bowl of Grape Nuts cereal with soymilk and a banana

2 more bananas

PB Cliffs Builder Bar

Spinach, mushrooms and garlic sauteed in olive oil

Whole wheat penne with homemade marinara and tofurky kielbasa and nutritional yeast

4 slices of some kind of italian style bread with rosemary in it (yes its probably white flour )

I used to hate mushrooms, but since becoming vegan, I can't get enough. Anyone "suddenly" loved a previously despised food when they changed diets?

Edited by Rob PMFF

kool 2 hear your back! sorry it isn't 100% yet but at least your getting back at it. I never liked mushroom before until I changed too. I actually I eat a lot more of veggies I wouldn't eat before. Mostly I think it is knowing how good they are for you compared to when I used to just eat crap because I liked that taste of junk. anyway good to have you back!

I actually I eat a lot more of veggies I wouldn't eat before. Mostly I think it is knowing how good they are for you compared to when I used to just eat crap because I liked that taste of junk. anyway good to have you back!

x1000

I used to HATE vegetables...people would make fun of me for being a vegetarian (at the time) who didn't eat vegetables. Now I love them and can't get enough. Probably about 75% of my weekly groceries is produce.

I actually I eat a lot more of veggies I wouldn't eat before. Mostly I think it is knowing how good they are for you compared to when I used to just eat crap because I liked that taste of junk. anyway good to have you back!

x1000

I used to HATE vegetables...people would make fun of me for being a vegetarian (at the time) who didn't eat vegetables. Now I love them and can't get enough. Probably about 75% of my weekly groceries is produce.

its funny i went vegetarian in high school but i was such a junk food vegetarian I ate pasta, pizza, bagels, cheese etc though college and then i started getting really sick. (i wonder why?) they caused me to do a lot of research to get healthier and i ended up going vegan and eating a lot better than I ever did before.