Soy free protein powders

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
xjohanx
Elephant
Posts: 2960
Age: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:48 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden.
Contact:

Re: Soy free protein powders

#61 Postby xjohanx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:You get it cheap there? It's $12/lb here in Denver...


I actually think it's a bit more expensive over here.
cubby2112 wrote:When someone says you don't train "functionally," you should just punch them in the face. Ask them how "functional" of a movement that was.

Krystyna
Rabbit
Posts: 12
Age: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Soy free protein powders

#62 Postby Krystyna » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Not totally sure if it's been mentioned here yet or not, but I like to use pumpkin seed protein powder. It's by omega nutrition. About 10g protein per 50 calories. I find I can also mix it into my morning pancake batter, and just added some to some cookies I made. It doesnt have any weird sweeteners or flavours added to it, and is tastes pretty nuetral.

PMA
Rabbit
Posts: 70
Age: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA, U$A.
Contact:

Re: Soy free protein powders

#63 Postby PMA » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 pm

orlandont wrote:The Muscle & Fitness is still on newsstands. It has a guy holding up some raw steak with "Eat like a man" text. BUT- They look at alternative protein powders and breakdown who they would be good for. Uniformly, they're all for vegans. Buckwheat protein got the biggest boost. First time I've heard of it. Hemp protein was recommended to NOT use before or after workouts, due to the high fat to protein ratio and fiber. Brown Rice protein was recommended, too.

The article says there's more recommendations online, but I couldn't find the link.



Hm interesting. I like mixing hemp with oatmeal and soymilk. I'd have a bowl every night before going to bed and looking back now, I think it's what helped me gain muscle the most.
I have tried Manitoba and Ruth's. Now recently trying to do the same I'm having Nutiva 50% Protein.

I hate commenting on taste when it comes to protein sources, but I think Nutiva by far has the lightest taste.

PMA
Rabbit
Posts: 70
Age: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA, U$A.
Contact:

Re: Soy free protein powders

#64 Postby PMA » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:09 pm

For you Trueprotein.com costumers, this is my first time ordering, I was thinking about getting a mix of pea and rice (50/50) 5lbs to try out. Do you add any additives, supplements, etc.?

User avatar
Fallen_Horse
Elephant
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Soy free protein powders

#65 Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Most people would recommend getting a premium flavor...
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

PMA
Rabbit
Posts: 70
Age: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA, U$A.
Contact:

Re: Soy free protein powders

#66 Postby PMA » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:36 pm

how about additives? supplements? Anything extra?

User avatar
vegimator
Manatee
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:41 pm
Location: SF

Re: Soy free protein powders

#67 Postby vegimator » Thu May 13, 2010 12:03 am

I just tried this (much cheaper) Vega knockoff - http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Food-Vegan-Be ... B00276BKBS

It's pretty gross with just water but will probably be fine in smoothies. I haven't had vega so I can't say if it's better or worse tasting, but it is definitely strong.

User avatar
Hapexamendios
Rabbit
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: Spokane, wa

Re: Soy free protein powders

#68 Postby Hapexamendios » Sun May 16, 2010 5:11 pm

PMA wrote:For you Trueprotein.com costumers, this is my first time ordering, I was thinking about getting a mix of pea and rice (50/50) 5lbs to try out. Do you add any additives, supplements, etc.?


I get the premium choco PB.. its sweetened with sucralose which sucks but the stevia flavors dont appeal to me...
Also, their rice protein has a weird grainy consistency.. but with the pea it should be ok.. I did have the 100% pea which is pretty good (it thickens up a lot when wet) now i have 50/50 hemp and pea.. again the hemp has an odd flavor to it.. but you get used to it..
“Life is like a movie, if you've sat through more than half of it and it’s sucked every second so far... No one should blame you for walking out early.”

daveray
Finch
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:42 am

Warning: Nutribiotic Rice Protein contaminated with lead

#69 Postby daveray » Tue May 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Hello fellow vegans,

I subscribe to Consumer Lab (CL), a 3rd party organization that tests herbs/supplements/vitamins to ensure that they contain what they claim.

On 5/4/10 CL posted their test results of a variety of protein powders. Included in that test was Nutribiotic Rice Protein, Vanilla Flavor. The powder was rated as "not approved" because they found "6 to 18 mcg of lead per daily serving (in 1 to 3 scoops)."

I used to use this protein powder, as I'm sure many of you do, too. I actually quit it in 2009 (after I ran out) because I noticed in 2008 that the ingredients label had changed and that the rice was no longer from California. I actually contacted the company in late 2008 and asked where the rice was now coming from. I was told: "The majority of our raw materials come from a grower in California, however, we may at times use raw materials from Pakistan, India, or China."

This was during or shortly after some of the melamine scare that was going on, so I decided to play it safe and didn't buy any after that. CL, by the way, did not find melamine or any other contaminants in the powder besides the lead.

On another note, Metagenics® UltraMeal® Rice Natural Chocolate Flavor, a product with which I am unfamiliar, was also "not approved", again for lead contamination ("Found 5.9 mcg of lead per daily serving").

Last, Nature's Plus® Spiru-Tein Vanilla, which I am also unfamiliar with, was also "not approved." However, in this case it was because the product had more sugar/carbs than the label stated.

So 3 of the 4 rice proteins they tested had issues. Bummer. I hope that isn't indicative of the rice protein industry in general. At any rate, lead intake should obviously be minimized, so buyer beware.

I have been lurking here for years and have never posted, but I couldn't let this news slip by. Thanks to all of you for the info, inspiration, and amusement you have provided me during that time!

Dave

User avatar
lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3582
Age: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:28 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Soy free protein powders

#70 Postby lobsteriffic » Tue May 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks for posting. I used to use the chocolate flavour but I switched for something cheaper.

Feel free to de-lurk and start posting more!

User avatar
Hapexamendios
Rabbit
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: Spokane, wa

Re: Warning: Nutribiotic Rice Protein contaminated with lead

#71 Postby Hapexamendios » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:56 pm

daveray wrote:Hello fellow vegans,

I subscribe to Consumer Lab (CL), a 3rd party organization that tests herbs/supplements/vitamins to ensure that they contain what they claim.

On 5/4/10 CL posted their test results of a variety of protein powders. Included in that test was Nutribiotic Rice Protein, Vanilla Flavor. The powder was rated as "not approved" because they found "6 to 18 mcg of lead per daily serving (in 1 to 3 scoops)."

I used to use this protein powder, as I'm sure many of you do, too. I actually quit it in 2009 (after I ran out) because I noticed in 2008 that the ingredients label had changed and that the rice was no longer from California. I actually contacted the company in late 2008 and asked where the rice was now coming from. I was told: "The majority of our raw materials come from a grower in California, however, we may at times use raw materials from Pakistan, India, or China."

This was during or shortly after some of the melamine scare that was going on, so I decided to play it safe and didn't buy any after that. CL, by the way, did not find melamine or any other contaminants in the powder besides the lead.

On another note, Metagenics® UltraMeal® Rice Natural Chocolate Flavor, a product with which I am unfamiliar, was also "not approved", again for lead contamination ("Found 5.9 mcg of lead per daily serving").

Last, Nature's Plus® Spiru-Tein Vanilla, which I am also unfamiliar with, was also "not approved." However, in this case it was because the product had more sugar/carbs than the label stated.

So 3 of the 4 rice proteins they tested had issues. Bummer. I hope that isn't indicative of the rice protein industry in general. At any rate, lead intake should obviously be minimized, so buyer beware.

I have been lurking here for years and have never posted, but I couldn't let this news slip by. Thanks to all of you for the info, inspiration, and amusement you have provided me during that time!

Dave


Now you need to have some of trueprotein's protein tested :P
“Life is like a movie, if you've sat through more than half of it and it’s sucked every second so far... No one should blame you for walking out early.”

User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Soy free protein powders

#72 Postby BlueRose » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:28 am

xjohanx wrote:I tried jarrows brown rice like two months ago and now I'm hooked on it. It doesn't shake well but if I use a blender it comes out real nice.


That's what I have! Got it in vanilla flavor and use it in this fruit smoothie of awesome.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

User avatar
xbillyx
Manatee
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Coral Springs, FL

Re: Soy free protein powders

#73 Postby xbillyx » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Krystyna wrote:Not totally sure if it's been mentioned here yet or not, but I like to use pumpkin seed protein powder. It's by omega nutrition. About 10g protein per 50 calories. I find I can also mix it into my morning pancake batter, and just added some to some cookies I made. It doesnt have any weird sweeteners or flavours added to it, and is tastes pretty nuetral.


I eat pumpkin seed butter daily. I've never seen the powder, though.

Regarding powders, I think hemp protein is by far the best for you.
Murder is a family value in almost every home. Murder is a family value three times a day. - Remembering Never

powelifter
Finch
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Soy free protein powders

#74 Postby powelifter » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:54 am

vega wholefood optimizer is probably my favorite non soya protein powder, i have used a few rice protein powders but they were unflavoured and hemp seed although good is a nightmare to try get down also, tastes horrible in my opinion.

InMyChucks
Finch
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Soy free protein powders

#75 Postby InMyChucks » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:54 pm

I was going to start a new thread, but this board is already rife with protein powder post.

I have been using Vega protein for a few weeks, and I do like it. I especially like that it contains most of my needed vitamins so I have no need for a one-a-day.

However, it is very very very very pricey and I am currently an unemployed full time student.

I saw nitro fusion and it contains a good amount of protein and is far more inexpensive. It doesn't have all the additional vitamins. I'm afraid I won't get all the vitamins that I need from my actual food intake. I've heard horror stories about lack of B12 vitamins causing dementia, ha!

A good one-a-day could cost me 20 bucks for a months supply, so shouldn't I just stick with the vega?

I work out hard, but my food discipline is not all there yet. One contributing factor is my current financial situation. In light of that, I fear that I will not got all the vitamins that I need. This is very important for vegans, as we know.

I hate coming to this board as though it's an oracle , but I feel as though many of you have hit financial walls before...


Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests