Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: N.O Xplode
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:59 am 
Gorilla

Is it vegan?

Last edited by Cold Fission on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Is there a vegan version of N.O. Xplode?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:28 am 
Elephant

No idea, but I'm surprised you liked that stuff. I had a sample of it that looked vegan so I tried it and felt like shit. Was shaking and blew all my energy very early in the workout. I also doubt it's the N.O. component that's doing it, as that's pretty much been shown ineffective. (Though it's still advertised everywhere!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:38 am 
Gorilla

Yeah, it's not the nitric oxide because i had those pills as well and they didn't do a thing but they came with a bsn shirt.I liked it's taste as well (fruit punch), it was just what i needed when i felt too tired to train.I also had the axis labs brand as well but it had lesser affect.

Green tea is the best thing i have now because it doesn't make me weak like the energy drink but gives me a little bit of energy and changes the atmosphere in my gym.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:46 am 
Elephant

There are lot's of vegan ones, I even think NO explode is vegan honestly but they all contain aspartame or some other artificial sweetner that will kill you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:43 am 
Gorilla

Clod Fission,

I have also switched to green tea before training. I find it gives me the "smoothest" energy boost...everything else gives me a temporary high and then a crash similar to what chrisjs described. That, or if I also need a pre-workout snack, I take one of the Clif Bars that has caffeine in it (peanut toffee buzz...hot damn that tastes good).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:09 pm 
Elephant

Dont know if you know, but Vega Sport[lemon lime is my favorite] is preworkout and will give you the energy needed without the jitters. It has green tea, maca, kombucha...natural energizers.

Those energy drinks have so much acid and shyt in them that they will rot your teeth(trust me I have a $1200 silver tooth).

Ive been known to take some NOXPLODE in the past, but recently I came across an ingredient that was labelled on a 2 serving packet, but not on the 2lb jug.

In the other ingredient list it listed "natural and artificial flavors" but after the artificial flavors it had [milk] in brackets right after it.

Now the jug had calcium silicate(which I wiki'd) and this is what it is used for:

"Calcium orthosilicate is a white powder with a low bulk density and high physical water absorption. It is used as an anti-caking agent and an antacid. A white free-flowing powder derived from limestone and diatomaceous earth, calcium silicate has no known adverse effects to health[citation needed]. It is used in roads, insulation, bricks, roof tiles, table salt[2] and occurs in cements, where it is known as belite (or in cement chemist notation C2S)."

"Calcium silicate is commonly used as a safe alternative to asbestos for high temperature insulation materials. Industrial grade piping and equipment insulation is often fabricated from calcium silicate. Its fabrication is a routine part of the curriculum for insulation apprentices. Calcium silicate competes in these realms against rockwool as well as proprietary insulation solids, such as perlite mixture and vermiculite bonded with sodium silicate. Although it is popularly considered an asbestos substitute, early uses of calcium silicate for insulation still made use of asbestos fibers."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:04 pm 
Gorilla

I stopped using it because it has stearic acid in it and that is almost always animal fat derived.And they would do animal testing on their products too which i want no part of.

Vega sport sounds like what i'm after.

*checks ingredients to ensure customs won't seize it*

Looks pretty good.As far as i know it's only hemp seed ingredients they won't let through so this should be fine.Strange that such a healthy and eco friendly product like hemp seeds are illegal here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:56 pm 
Manatee

You could try my energizer:

-4 shots espresso (or 1 cup double-strength coffee if you don't have an espresso machine)
-2500-5000mg powdered arginine
-1/2 cup pumpkin puree
-cinnamon to taste
-1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional...I add this if I'm taking this post-workout and need energy)

Blend, drink, enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:42 am 
Gorilla

strawberryriddick wrote:
You could try my energizer:

-4 shots espresso (or 1 cup double-strength coffee if you don't have an espresso machine)
-2500-5000mg powdered arginine
-1/2 cup pumpkin puree
-cinnamon to taste
-1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional...I add this if I'm taking this post-workout and need energy)

Blend, drink, enjoy.

I don't have any of that stuff.I don't like coffee because the taste grosses me out.I can't afford any protein powder right now because i'm saving up to get a Darth Vader costume and talking helmet (we'll see who laughing when i post video of me street fighting in it and winning).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:40 pm 
Stegosaurus

I'll second Vega Sport's energizing powers. Last time I took it, I mistakenly did a double-dose, and I felt like I was bouncing off the walls for hours afterward. I'm not susceptible to caffeine (I can drink a triple espresso and barely feel it), but Vega Sport, that stuff made me wired as hell. Just stick to a single serving at first, because I found out quickly that a double was more than I needed :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:36 pm 
Elephant

VeganEssentials wrote:
I'll second Vega Sport's energizing powers. Last time I took it, I mistakenly did a double-dose, and I felt like I was bouncing off the walls for hours afterward. I'm not susceptible to caffeine (I can drink a triple espresso and barely feel it), but Vega Sport, that stuff made me wired as hell. Just stick to a single serving at first, because I found out quickly that a double was more than I needed :D

And dont ever take 2 scoops on an empty stomach early in the morning then have another 2 scoops shortly after that first serving is done!!! This made me feel very sick until I got some food in me. Made me feel super energized....almost like sonic the hedgehog.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Vega Sport pre-workout powder got me through my book editing the past couple of months! :)

I also thought NO EXPLODE was vegan....will have to look into it again.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:54 am 
Manatee

You could try garlic XD
I've read stuff about galic increasing NO production before, but this is all I could find quickly:

Quote:
Research suggests that garlic can help make small improvements in blood pressure by increasing the blood flow to the capillaries, which are the tiniest blood vessels. The chemicals in garlic achieve this by causing the capillary walls to open wider and reducing the ability of blood platelets to stick together and cause blockages.

Reductions are small -- 10 mmHg (millimeters of mercury, the unit of measurement for blood pressure) or less. This means if your blood pressure is 130 over 90 mmHg, garlic might help lower it to 120 over 80 mmHg. That's a slight improvement, but, along with some simple lifestyle adjustments, such as getting more exercise, garlic might help move your blood pressure out of the danger zone.

Preliminary studies indicate that garlic may also increase the production of nitric oxide. This chemical compound is produced in the lining of blood vessels, and it helps the vessels relax and allow blood to flow more freely.

for the full article http://home.howstuffworks.com/garlic6.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:07 am 
Gorilla

Pre-workout garlic?No way.

I'll e-mail some of these companies that make these preworkout powders and see if any are vegan.I think if we all e-mail BSN and tell them to change the stearic acid to a vegan kind and stop using aspartame aka genetically modified e-coli then maybe they will change it.Can't see why not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:21 am 
Gorilla

Looks like BSN has already changed the ingredients from when i used it.The acid is now citric and they use sucralose(splenda) instead of aspartame now.Good to see.Rest easy Robert and Octopus.