Cubby's fitness blog

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, my diet is definitely clean. Probably too clean. Damned fiber.

I weight 175, maybe even 179, not sure, because I am up from 170 due to going back on creatine a few weeks ago. I am 5'10''.

I actually just took a new photo for "Your Shape Today" and will be posting it shortly.

So, I am going to start on this tomorrow:

Week 1

Monday: Sumo Deadlift 3x3, 3x1; RDL 2x7; Straight Leg Calf Raise 2x7

Tuesday: Bench 3x3, 2x1; Military 3x3, 2x1; Dips 4x3

Wednesday: Chins 3x5, 2x1; BB Bent Over Rows 3x5; Pull-ups 3x5

Thursday: Speed Squats 4x2; Straight Leg Calf Raise 4x3

Friday: Off

Saturday: Speed Bench 4x2; Speed Chins 4x2; Upright Rows 2x7

Sunday: Off

Week 2

Monday: Speed Deficit Sumo Deadlift 4x2; RDL 2x7; Straight Leg Calf Raise 2x7

Tuesday: Bench 3x5, 2x1; Military 3x5, 2x1; Dips 3x5

Wednesday: Chins 3x3, 2x1; BB Bent Over Rows 4x3; Pull-ups 4x3

Thursday: Squats 3x3, 3x1; Straight Leg Calf Press 3x5

Friday: Off

Saturday: Speed Bench 4x2; Speed Chins 4x2; Upright Rows 2x7

Sunday: Off

I will probably change something about it before I begin on it, and something else partway through. I have been reading my NSCA-CSCS textbook, Westside and Hatfield articles the past week or so. Since, according to Hatfield (Dr. Squat), I am primarily an "easy gainer" due to my low work capacity, but fairly strong 1RMs, this program should work beautifully. I think. I will find out, anyway.

I am going to attempt a 405 1RM on sumo deadlift tomorrow. I've been striving for that over the past few months, so I really hope I nail it. If not, I am sure I will nail it after one cycle of this.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the birthday wish That is a crazy video, haha.

I haven't updated this in a long time with my training. Basically, I have been running a 10x3 program, very basic, three days a week and with very few lifts. I have been deloading this week and will start a Doggcrapp blast on Monday. I am rather nervous about the widowmaker squats, but they should be a lot of fun.

I've missed you around the forums dude!

You still doing IF? How's school going? You good? Tell me something!

I moved back home and only have internet at work (as a personal trainer) right now, so I haven't been bumping around the interenet as much. Yep, still on IF. I finished with personal training school and just started a master's program in exercise science, with a sports performance focus. I am doing pretty well right now, but I am a shit salesman, so I only have one client to train so far, and I am on pure commission right now, so I only get paid when I train. I will learn to sell soon enough, I suppose. Other than that, I am doing great.

How are things with you? Doing well with IF?

• 1 month later...

About time to update this. I am running a variation on Iron Addict's Simple Power-Based Routine (SPBR). I don't like exercising my upper back along with legs, leaving chest, shoulders and tris on a day all their own.

Everything is submaximal except the Max Effort (ME) top set

Upper 1

ME triple of dips, reduce weight 5% for a 2x4 or so

ME triple for chins, same protocol as dips

5x5-8 dips

5x5-8 DB bench rows

3x5-8 military

Lower 1

ME Deadlift triple, same protocol, maybe one less set

Leg press 2-3x5-8

ME Calf press triple, 2x4 or so

3x5-8 abs

Grip and static core work

Upper 2

ME bench triple, 2x4 or so

ME pull-up triple, 2x4 or so

5x5-8 incline DB bench

5x5-8 supinated grip chest-supported DB rows

3x5-8 upright rows

Lower 2

ME Pin paused squat triple, 2x4

Glute-ham raise 3x5-8

ME calf raise triple, 2x4

3x5-8 abs

Grip and static core work

The ME calf presses may seem weird, but I've found the best calf growth from going extremely heavy with them. Also, I get plenty of volume and TUT from walking and running, since I wear Vibram Five Fingers and use a toe-heel gait pattern, which gives me plenty of eccentric loading.

Since changing to a lower volume of work (I only work out three days per week, rotating between these workouts), I have felt a lot more aggressive at all times, and much more excited about my workouts. I didn't think I could enjoy deadlifting more than I used to, but I do. Deadlift day is today, and I am psyched. I think the lower levels of stress I am placing on my body have allowed my testosterone levels to increase or something.

glad to see you back on here. I got calcaneus bursitus from running in my five fingers so im going to give inov8s a try. Hope you get some more clients!

Thank you.

Were you running heel-toe or toe-heel with them? I wear them at all times, and always use a toe-heel strike, even when just walking around.

toe with a lite graze of the heel. I going to a pose cert next weekend maybe that will help my form.

Yeah, that may help. I don't do a whole shit ton of running, so that may be why I haven't come into any trouble. I think most runners who use them, though, don't have trouble with bruising their calcanei, but usually issues with the balls of their feet. I had some bruising on the balls of my feet until they toughened up. Or at least they felt like bruises.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a leg press sled widowmaker today. Who'd a' thought it would be way harder than free squat widowmakers. It was the heaviest feeling shit I've ever messed with. It was wonderful, and I can't remember the events a few minutes after very well. That is a sign I am doing them right.

I am still doing IF. I've knocked off about 50g of fiber per day, but my levels are still quite insane. I am at 90% whole foods. Three scoops per day of protein powder, 227g of beans, one pound of tofu and a half cup of nutritional yeast are my main protein sources now. 140-150g of fiber, compared to 190-200g before. 260-300g of protein, compared to 160-190g before, depending on if it is a workout day or not. I am at 1.5g/lb of bodyweight (I fluctuate between 180-185lbs). I've never gone anywhere near this high in protein before, and am attempting a recomp with DoggCrapp, instead of a cut. Morning cardio during the fasted period with some yohimbine and green tea extract, or yohimbine and coffee. I think all this combined with IF should work quite well. I hope to post some progress photos within a couple months.

Started another DC blast today. Finished the workout with sumo deadlifts for back thickness. Got 380x5, then 340x11. I always do the first, heavy set with dead stops off the floor, like true deadlifts, then the lighter one touch and go style. This keeps down on CNS fatigue and also allows me to pull a rather heavy weight for high reps on the second set. The negative is still controlled, but once the bar touches the floor, I rip it right back up. I finished about an hour ago and still feel like vomiting. Still getting a meal down I am slowly working on.

Did 700lbs on my led sled widowmaker today, for 22 reps. This was way harder than the deadlifts on Monday. I had to recover for about ten minutes before even beginning to put my weights away. I did manage to roll over to the power rack next to me to get in my quad stretch immediately after the widow, though. It was so horribly hard and exhausting, but was so much fun at the same time. Thankfully I was well rested today. Downed about 3k calories post workout, and 600 before it. This is the biggest I have ever eaten. Doing about 2900 calories on off days, and 3500-3600 on workout days, depending if it is a lower body day or not.

• 2 months later...

I had some amazing progress on Doggcrapp, and pushing myself to my limits with it taught me a lot about myself and my body. I ran the program for 3-4 months, blasting and cruising, but still outpaced my recovery. I realized I need a bit more advanced before really getting the benefits from it. Multiple failure point training is out of my realm currently. Right now, I am back on Iron Addict's SPBR and doing great on it. When I hit 300/400/500 on bench/squats/deadlifts, I will reevaluate. Until then, I plan to stick with SPBR. I may give a three day per week Westside variation a shot once I reach my goal, get stupid strong (400/500/600 or so), then might give DC another whirl. This is all obviously far down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Im glad to hear you made some nice progress. Yea DC can be tough if your not eating ridiculous amounts of food. IA SPBR is an awesome routine. I'm also doing SPBR right now, following it exactly except subtracted a few sets on some exercises, because I tend to not recover as well, for example on the chest movements. Keep us updated on your progress!