Jason is back in fucking business.

deadlifts @ 155lbs still. my grip is giving out on the double overhand. that sucks. it's still WAY too light for that to be happening. (correction. slipping. not failing. haven't dropped it, and haven't had to cut a rep short)

Does your gym let you use chalk?

Nice work on squats man

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gym again today. same as last time. Squatting 185 hurts my right inside thigh, nearing groin. not sure about all that. at least it doesn't hurt in my hip flexor anymore. got that one worked out. Not bad enough to stop me, though.

I need to go back to 60lbs on my curls. the 70lbs is all I can do with terrible form. but the 60's aren't enough. stupid 10lb increments. Maybe start using dumbells. Thoughts on this dilemma anyone?

At any rate, first rugby practice in 2 hours...Color me excited. really excited. It's all running today though. I hope to be last man standing. we'll see. psyched.

same again today. nothing noteworthy, except I started adding a shrug per rep at the top of my deadlifts. seems like it cant hurt.

terrified of going to 190 on my squats on monday. I'll try it and well see what happens. Its only 5 pounds, right?

rugby practice the other night was just an hour of running back and forth, and getting off the ground in a big hurry. it was awesome. cardio! still fit, and thrilled about it.

also, have meeting with gym owner again to check body comp and go over routine...we'll see what he has to say about it, but frankly, i like what i'm doing.

ugh. today was hard. but it was my own fault. I went to rugby practice, which was hard, but tolerable, then I went for a jog for an hour. Little did I know that was going to turn into a 5 mile jog. I haven't ran since last semester. my calves hurt real good and I get to lift tomorrow.

YAY ME!. I'm happy to know I can run that far untrained though. we'll see how i feel tomorrow.

jesus christ I feel awesome today!!

5 reps still save for warmup on the squats.

squat

barx10reps

135x1 set

185x4 sets

190x1 set (which felt no different than the previous 185 set. I'm good with this)

Deads

up to 165 from 155. 5x5. awesome. was so psyched on the extra weight I forgot the shrug it out at the top!

clean/press

up 5lbs on the first 4 sets (75lbs) and at 80 on the last set

bench

up to 125 5x5

tri extensions

up to 55 5x5

curls at 70, but hella easier than last time.

I am absolutely thrilled. especially since I ran WAY too far last night. I don't know what it is. I upped my protein a bit (2 shakes a day rather than one most days) but that's about it. I started with the cardio and upped the food more. Could that do it?

So, I didn't update wednesday. I did the same routine, except I remembered the shrugs on the deadlifts, and I didn't feel as strong. Maybe lifting after work is better. I certainly feel stronger than when I first roll out of bed. It's really satisfying to get up and go to the gym before work though. I dunno.

Anyhow, today went well. Felt pretty good. Got stalled out on one of the squats in the 4th set. reracked it, finished the set, and did the last set. Dunno what happened. Lack of focus. Anyway, still feeling pretty good on everything, but squatting 190 is feeling all sorts of heavy. I wonder if I wouldnt' be served by taking 30lbs off and focusing on explosive power on the way up. Contact sport athletes care to weigh in? I'd appreciate that.

Gonna do a psych test then go run. Sunday is first outside rugby practice of the year. (it's supposed to be mid 30's...)

I wonder if I wouldnt' be served by taking 30lbs off and focusing on explosive power on the way up.

That's what power cleans are for. If you don't squat heavy you won't get stronger Rather than going for 1 rep or set maxes why not stick to 3x5 or 5x5 and slowly add weight. You'll make steady progress instead of completely burning out every workout.

I wonder if I wouldnt' be served by taking 30lbs off and focusing on explosive power on the way up.

That's what power cleans are for. If you don't squat heavy you won't get stronger Rather than going for 1 rep or set maxes why not stick to 3x5 or 5x5 and slowly add weight. You'll make steady progress instead of completely burning out every workout.

Thanks chewy, I am doing them 5x5. It's a 5x5 all I can do. You're right, though. Just man up and do it. I just worry about poor form in the last few reps.

Will continue as I have been.

monday was more of the same, except a bit different

squats 5x5 @ 190. (that last rep is a killer. but I recover fast as hell)

bench x 130

clean/press x 85 followed by a set of 5 barbell rows to finish the set

deadlifts x 170 followed by a shrug every rep.

tri pullovers x 60

curl @ 70 x 7 reps. on the way to 80 5x5. (next monday, probably)

I'm starting to hear that I should maybe be doing more reps for size. to the tune of 1 x 12 of every exercise to the MAX. I feel like I'm making decent progress, but serioulsy, I'm up 30 lbs from when I started this (between christmas and new years) and I don't really feel 30 lbs bigger.

part of me wants to try something new, the other part thinks i should be patient, it hasn't even been 2.5 months yet.

lobster, not 100% sure. I know that more reps is better for big muscles, and low reps is better for strength. I have it saved on my work computer. I'll find out where i found it and get back to you.

I have a few things to report.

1. i worked out on wednesday.

I did squats 5x5 @ 190, deads (with a shrug) at 175, clean and press at 80 (with 5x5 barbell rows to close the set), bench at 130 (but I nearly killed myself on the 4th rep of the 4th set. Just stalled it. had to set it on my chest and roll it down until i could sit up and re-rack it...ANYWAYS!)

Then I went for a 3 mile run (interval style. sprint. jog. sprint. jog. etc) with the rugby team. Things are looking good on the "my speed" front.

Then today I went to the gym again, and was aiming at 12 reps in a single set to see what would happen. I'll tell ya, after about 8 reps, that stuff starts to hurt real bad!

So, started on the bench. 130 x 10 reps, then I took a breather and did a second set of 5 reps (max. no spotter...)

squats @ 185 x 15 reps

tri pullovers @ 65 lbs x 10 for the first set (when I almost crushed my head, but only skimmed my ear...!) then another 7 on the second set.

clean and presses and dumbell rows at 85lbs x 15 reps.

deadlifts 185lbs x 15 same with shrugs

leg extensions and leg curls (? the hamstring ones) @ 130lbs x 17 reps each

leg presses at 6 45lb plates and 4 25lb plates x 25.

calf raises at 8 45lb plates x 25

curls 70lbs x 15

I feel like that might be it. my sheet it as the gym, I'll confirm tomorrow. That was crazy hard and haven't felt that much like (vegan) jello in a LONG time. Holy wows. Will keep this up for a few weeks (i felt like I was starting to plateau on the 5x5's anyhow) and see how it goes. In all honestly, I'd rather build bulk than superhero strength at this point.

Then I stretched and drove home, then i got home and went for a 2.5 mile run. That was hard to motivate myself for, but i just had to do it. MC200 is 3 months away! (relay race from madison, wi to chicago, il. that'll be 37.75 miles in about 35 hours. ugh.)

I guess I'll start tracking all of my workouts now, instead of just my lifting.

Just got back from a quick 3.9 mile run. took between 30 and 35 minutes. felt good. some left tightness in my left achilles, and the usual side stitch flare up (which is freaking annoying and obnoxious.)

tomorrow I will get more in depth on later, but calling for a brazillian jiu jitsu class, then rugby practice. Maybe an extra run in there somewhere, but I'm sure rugby will have me running enough. Man, I'm a sore little bugger the last few days.

brazillian jiu jitsu for an hour, went home and ate lunch, then went to rugby practice.

bodyweight squat/lunge workout.

Warm up jog, then 12 reps of squats, 12 each leg forward lunges, 12 each leg side lunges, 12 each leg backward lunges, then 6 star jumps. Then sprint 20 meters.

x4

then a tackling drill. 30 seconds on, run 3 meters, hit/lift a dude, run the other way and hit/lift another dude. 1:30 rest. x3.

then a cooldown jog.

fun day.

slept through my alarm this AM, so no gym. then when I got home I thought about it, but decided I should go running since it was 60 degrees out. So, i did that. Ran 5.25 miles in an hour (i suppose directly in "jogging" pace, but whatever. guilty). then I got home, at a clif bar and grabbed an ice pack and two bananas and drove (too fast) up to another BJJ class.

Did that for an hour, then came home. I'm sore. but, I love my life and being active is super fun. Thinking of making it a minor focus in school to end up with something that I can use to work with kids (through HS) to keep them fit and active. Preferably deaf kids, but whatever.

i love reading your workouts. pretty inspirational and they seem so fun.

Oh, wow! Really? THANKS! I never would have guessed. This made my day.

Ok, so I FINALLY lifted for the first time since Friday. (GO TEAM THIS GUY!) What did I do? I'll try to remember.

Bench. 5x5 @ 130. I'm confident I can do 135. We'll try on thursday (or friday...)

Tri Extensions. 5x5 @ 60.

Curls. @ 70lbs. 2x8 3x6 (working up to 80lbs...soon!)

Leg Press. Weight? I dunno. 3 45lb plates and 2 25lb plates on each side. plus a 118lb contraption. whatever thatequals...3x20

Calf Raises. Same as Leg Presses.

Clean and Press. 5x5 @ 85lbs.

Barbell Rows. Same as Clean and Press.

Deadlifts. 5x5 @ 185.

Shrugs. Same as Deadlifts.

Squats. 5x5 @ 190. (still freakin hard, and getting easier. I know what Chewy was saying about your body not wanting to get back under the bar, except my bar is 20lbs lighter!!! Again, way to go Chewy!!)

Then I was exhausted so I cooled down and stretched out then I went to Menards. I bought a 4" x 5' tube and some ends. I will be filling it with sand for a grip worker-outer/lunge-toughener/upper body worker-outer. It's gonna be SICK! (haha.)

Ok, first, so it turns out that 4" tube with 65 lbs of sand in it is too much for my grip to handle. so it rests on the ground...

I'll be buying a 3" tube soon.

plain fail.

BUT, I didn't lift or run today, but I did go to rugby practice.

we ran a lot, did a lot of ball handling drills. The coach knows my name. I think I did well.

did 55 pushups, too. I'll add that to the pushup count thread!