Soy free protein powders

I think pea protein tastes like ass!

Unfortunately I'm only 50% of my way through a 2.5kg bag (from myprotein.co.uk) and I only have a scoop a day. I feel like I'm punishing myself when I have a smoothie with this in it D

My friend actually vomited down his nose after taking pea protein!

Like I said, if you are gonna drink it, the best way I found to disguise the taste was with passion fruit juice, or failing that, pineapple. I bought 5 kilos and in the end made it into crackers which I ate with hummus

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think pea protein tastes like ass!

I presently use both brown rice and hemp which I love.

I mix brown rice with chufa (a spanish milk made out of tiger nuts) and the hemp with passion fruit juice..mmmm!

I get them sent out to me in Spain and it still works out fairly cheaply..the brown rice is especially economical. I order them from http://www.myprotein.co.uk/

I like to take the rice at night because it fills you up more than the hemp...I think I digest the hemp really quickly and I use this after my workout. I'm really happy with the prices and delivery service offered my this company. I've bought from bulk powders uk before, but they take ages to deliver and apart from the pea protein which is vomit worthy, dont have much in stock for vegans.

can one buy chufa or the tiger nuts here in the states?

never heard of them but sounds interesting!

regarding the 1st soy-free protein powder pictured i find it has a weird aftertaste thats kinda foul imo, brown rice protein i find ok but a bit gritty?

buckwheat protein powder was/is amazing but i believe kemistry the one company that was making it discontinued it?

recently i heard of a cranberry seed protein powder, that robert mentioned earlier, but it only appears to be available in bulk to companies not individuals (so far).

plus you have spirulina from places such as veganproteins.com...

I don't know if you can buy chufa in the states, you could try in one of the stores stocking food for latinos. It's an unusual taste and you either love it or hate it. I only buy it because its very cheap at about 1 euro a litre. If you find it check the ingredients because sometimes they add cow milk, but not often. Its just usually tigernuts, sugar and water.

I don't know if you can buy chufa in the states, you could try in one of the stores stocking food for latinos. It's an unusual taste and you either love it or hate it. I only buy it because its very cheap at about 1 euro a litre. If you find it check the ingredients because sometimes they add cow milk, but not often. Its just usually tigernuts, sugar and water.

good deal i will look around, i am in NYC so that should be easy.

thanks!

• 2 months later...

I've recently tried the brown rice and hemp powders. Specifically "Jarrow Formulas" brown rice protein and "Manitoba Harvest" hemp protein (both chocolate flavored). I really like them both actually. There is some sediment that separates in the hemp protein though. I'm not sure if I should go out of my way to get it out or not... anyway, these all mix wonderfully with soy milk

Total carbs: 9

Fiber: 2

Sugars: 9 (from fructose)

Is the label messed up, or do i not know how this is supposed to work??

If the fiber is insoluble (meaning indigestible) then perhaps they are using 'net carbs' for their number, i.e. only the carbs that add calories to the product...

Not totally sure if it's been mentioned here yet or not, but I like to use pumpkin seed protein powder. It's by omega nutrition. About 10g protein per 50 calories. I find I can also mix it into my morning pancake batter, and just added some to some cookies I made. It doesnt have any weird sweeteners or flavours added to it, and is tastes pretty nuetral.

• 2 weeks later...
The Muscle & Fitness is still on newsstands. It has a guy holding up some raw steak with "Eat like a man" text. BUT- They look at alternative protein powders and breakdown who they would be good for. Uniformly, they're all for vegans. Buckwheat protein got the biggest boost. First time I've heard of it. Hemp protein was recommended to NOT use before or after workouts, due to the high fat to protein ratio and fiber. Brown Rice protein was recommended, too.

The article says there's more recommendations online, but I couldn't find the link.

Hm interesting. I like mixing hemp with oatmeal and soymilk. I'd have a bowl every night before going to bed and looking back now, I think it's what helped me gain muscle the most.

I have tried Manitoba and Ruth's. Now recently trying to do the same I'm having Nutiva 50% Protein.

I hate commenting on taste when it comes to protein sources, but I think Nutiva by far has the lightest taste.

• 1 month later...
For you Trueprotein.com costumers, this is my first time ordering, I was thinking about getting a mix of pea and rice (50/50) 5lbs to try out. Do you add any additives, supplements, etc.?

I get the premium choco PB.. its sweetened with sucralose which sucks but the stevia flavors dont appeal to me...

Also, their rice protein has a weird grainy consistency.. but with the pea it should be ok.. I did have the 100% pea which is pretty good (it thickens up a lot when wet) now i have 50/50 hemp and pea.. again the hemp has an odd flavor to it.. but you get used to it..

Hello fellow vegans,

I subscribe to Consumer Lab (CL), a 3rd party organization that tests herbs/supplements/vitamins to ensure that they contain what they claim.

On 5/4/10 CL posted their test results of a variety of protein powders. Included in that test was Nutribiotic Rice Protein, Vanilla Flavor. The powder was rated as "not approved" because they found "6 to 18 mcg of lead per daily serving (in 1 to 3 scoops)."

I used to use this protein powder, as I'm sure many of you do, too. I actually quit it in 2009 (after I ran out) because I noticed in 2008 that the ingredients label had changed and that the rice was no longer from California. I actually contacted the company in late 2008 and asked where the rice was now coming from. I was told: "The majority of our raw materials come from a grower in California, however, we may at times use raw materials from Pakistan, India, or China."

This was during or shortly after some of the melamine scare that was going on, so I decided to play it safe and didn't buy any after that. CL, by the way, did not find melamine or any other contaminants in the powder besides the lead.

On another note, Metagenics® UltraMeal® Rice Natural Chocolate Flavor, a product with which I am unfamiliar, was also "not approved", again for lead contamination ("Found 5.9 mcg of lead per daily serving").

Last, Nature's Plus® Spiru-Tein Vanilla, which I am also unfamiliar with, was also "not approved." However, in this case it was because the product had more sugar/carbs than the label stated.

So 3 of the 4 rice proteins they tested had issues. Bummer. I hope that isn't indicative of the rice protein industry in general. At any rate, lead intake should obviously be minimized, so buyer beware.

I have been lurking here for years and have never posted, but I couldn't let this news slip by. Thanks to all of you for the info, inspiration, and amusement you have provided me during that time!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Hello fellow vegans,

I subscribe to Consumer Lab (CL), a 3rd party organization that tests herbs/supplements/vitamins to ensure that they contain what they claim.

On 5/4/10 CL posted their test results of a variety of protein powders. Included in that test was Nutribiotic Rice Protein, Vanilla Flavor. The powder was rated as "not approved" because they found "6 to 18 mcg of lead per daily serving (in 1 to 3 scoops)."

I used to use this protein powder, as I'm sure many of you do, too. I actually quit it in 2009 (after I ran out) because I noticed in 2008 that the ingredients label had changed and that the rice was no longer from California. I actually contacted the company in late 2008 and asked where the rice was now coming from. I was told: "The majority of our raw materials come from a grower in California, however, we may at times use raw materials from Pakistan, India, or China."

This was during or shortly after some of the melamine scare that was going on, so I decided to play it safe and didn't buy any after that. CL, by the way, did not find melamine or any other contaminants in the powder besides the lead.

On another note, Metagenics® UltraMeal® Rice Natural Chocolate Flavor, a product with which I am unfamiliar, was also "not approved", again for lead contamination ("Found 5.9 mcg of lead per daily serving").

Last, Nature's Plus® Spiru-Tein Vanilla, which I am also unfamiliar with, was also "not approved." However, in this case it was because the product had more sugar/carbs than the label stated.

So 3 of the 4 rice proteins they tested had issues. Bummer. I hope that isn't indicative of the rice protein industry in general. At any rate, lead intake should obviously be minimized, so buyer beware.

I have been lurking here for years and have never posted, but I couldn't let this news slip by. Thanks to all of you for the info, inspiration, and amusement you have provided me during that time!

Dave

Now you need to have some of trueprotein's protein tested

I tried jarrows brown rice like two months ago and now I'm hooked on it. It doesn't shake well but if I use a blender it comes out real nice.

That's what I have! Got it in vanilla flavor and use it in this fruit smoothie of awesome.

• 1 month later...
Not totally sure if it's been mentioned here yet or not, but I like to use pumpkin seed protein powder. It's by omega nutrition. About 10g protein per 50 calories. I find I can also mix it into my morning pancake batter, and just added some to some cookies I made. It doesnt have any weird sweeteners or flavours added to it, and is tastes pretty nuetral.

I eat pumpkin seed butter daily. I've never seen the powder, though.

Regarding powders, I think hemp protein is by far the best for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to start a new thread, but this board is already rife with protein powder post.

I have been using Vega protein for a few weeks, and I do like it. I especially like that it contains most of my needed vitamins so I have no need for a one-a-day.

However, it is very very very very pricey and I am currently an unemployed full time student.

I saw nitro fusion and it contains a good amount of protein and is far more inexpensive. It doesn't have all the additional vitamins. I'm afraid I won't get all the vitamins that I need from my actual food intake. I've heard horror stories about lack of B12 vitamins causing dementia, ha!

A good one-a-day could cost me 20 bucks for a months supply, so shouldn't I just stick with the vega?

I work out hard, but my food discipline is not all there yet. One contributing factor is my current financial situation. In light of that, I fear that I will not got all the vitamins that I need. This is very important for vegans, as we know.

I hate coming to this board as though it's an oracle , but I feel as though many of you have hit financial walls before...