Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jason's getting big log
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:55 am 
Elephant

that's awesome! do it. you'll be happy you have it.

i love reading your workouts. pretty inspirational and they seem so fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:14 am 
Stegosaurus

sounds like a great career path to me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:13 pm 
Gorilla

vivalasvegans wrote:

i love reading your workouts. pretty inspirational and they seem so fun.

Oh, wow! Really? THANKS! I never would have guessed. This made my day.

Ok, so I FINALLY lifted for the first time since Friday. (GO TEAM THIS GUY!) What did I do? I'll try to remember.

Bench. 5x5 @ 130. I'm confident I can do 135. We'll try on thursday (or friday...)
Tri Extensions. 5x5 @ 60.
Curls. @ 70lbs. 2x8 3x6 (working up to 80lbs...soon!)
Leg Press. Weight? I dunno. 3 45lb plates and 2 25lb plates on each side. plus a 118lb contraption. whatever thatequals...3x20
Calf Raises. Same as Leg Presses.
Clean and Press. 5x5 @ 85lbs.
Barbell Rows. Same as Clean and Press.
Deadlifts. 5x5 @ 185.
Shrugs. Same as Deadlifts.
Squats. 5x5 @ 190. (still freakin hard, and getting easier. I know what Chewy was saying about your body not wanting to get back under the bar, except my bar is 20lbs lighter!!! Again, way to go Chewy!!)

Then I was exhausted so I cooled down and stretched out then I went to Menards. I bought a 4" x 5' tube and some ends. I will be filling it with sand for a grip worker-outer/lunge-toughener/upper body worker-outer. It's gonna be SICK! (haha.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 am 
Stegosaurus

i agree. being active is awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:11 pm 
Gorilla

Ok, first, so it turns out that 4" tube with 65 lbs of sand in it is too much for my grip to handle. so it rests on the ground...

I'll be buying a 3" tube soon.

plain fail.

BUT, I didn't lift or run today, but I did go to rugby practice.

we ran a lot, did a lot of ball handling drills. The coach knows my name. I think I did well.

did 55 pushups, too. I'll add that to the pushup count thread!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 pm 
Stegosaurus

what r u going 2 do with the PVC and sand pipe?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:12 pm 
Gorilla

Sorry Mary, I never answered that! I swear I meant to! Anyhow, The sand is now inside the pipe and sealed off. I will be using it for a quick circuit training session when I don't feel like, or don't want to go the gym (actually, what it's really a test for a fitness program I'm working on with a friend. Portable exercise equipment for group training that can be done wiht minimal "stuff" and still get results. Nothing mind blowing, I swear.)

Anyhow, things like curls, overhead presses, weighted squats and lunges. it can also be put on the ground and jumped over side to side, front to back, etc. Since it's a wide pipe, all of the lifting will help with forearm and grip strength development as well.

That's it!

BUT, I lifted last night, and I feel like I did a really good job. Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with lifting!

Squats 5x5 @ 195lbs. I did fail the last set on the third rep. Just didn't push hard enough and got unfocused. Reracked it and did 3 more. I'm ok with that.

Clean and Presses/Barbell Rows/Curls (!) @ 85lbs. 5x5 each. I started the set with curls, then did the clean and presses, and then the barbell rows. 3 lifts into one set. Awesome. and hard.

Deadlifts and Shrugs @ 190lbs. 5x5. Deadlift. shrug at the top. repeat until finished. Awesome.

Bench Press @ 135lb (FINALLY! The big boy weightS!!) 5x5. no spotter.

Tri Pullovers @ 60lbs 5x5. By the third set I was really kicking myself for not picking up the 65lb dumbell, but hell, last time I used the 65 lber, I just about dropped it on my head! Next time.

But, it was an awesome session. There were 4 of us in the gym, and we were all chatting at each other and laughing and hurting at the same time. It was really fun.

I keep meaning to go for a long run, but I'm just NOT feeling it right now. My left achilles is feeling great, and so is my right side groin. I'd REALLY like to keep that way, but I'm sure I'll be on foot to somewhere within the next two hours.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:10 pm 
Elephant

Man, your progress is awesome. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:36 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks, Chewy. Believe it or not, you're the guy that I first started following/being inspired by on here. So, thanks. That means a lot, and right back at ya! :heart:

Just got back from a run. Was aiming for more miles, but that's what I get for not pre-planning my routes. 5.7 miles. Not bad. Wanted 6 or 7...I'm gonna have to start deviating more north/south as opposed to just east/west.

Good times though. I don't hurt too bad. The achilles is a bit tender now, but the rest of me is fine.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:14 pm 
Stegosaurus

congrats on the "big boy" weights as you put it! That made me giggle. kool with the pipe. there is so much you can do with minimal equipment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:07 pm 
Gorilla

Today I did an hour of BJJ (which is awesome, and I'm sad that my schedule won't allow for it once rugby matches start). It was hard, but not ridiculous.

Then, Rugby practice was an hour of touch rugby. Man, that was hard. Lots of running. Some hitting.

Decided today I'm going to pick up some creatine. We'll see how it work/what it does.

Mary, this is close to the workout I'd do with that tube. I'd add curls and behind the head tricep extensions as well (cause I have little girls arms...) and clean and presses (cause they're my favorite.)

<object width="480" height="320"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x27krr"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x27krr" width="480" height="320" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27krr_team-quest-grappling-workout_sport">Team Quest - Grappling Workout</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/adccpl">adccpl</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/sport">Discover the latest sports and extreme videos.</a></i>

Since embed doesn't seem to be working, here is the link. http://buildingbodies.ca/randy-couture-workout-for-mma-conditioning/
But yeah. I lift m/w/f. I have rugby practice m/w. usually, anyhow. But I am 90% sure I'm going to do this workout (with the above exercises) on m/w (because I need to lift before work, and I'm always very weak that early in the morning, and I'd rather not wake up at 4 to get the blood flowing and whatnot before I hit the gym.

I will try to up the weights on the last set to failure to try and build some size yet. I wanna be bigger. (common theme here, eh?)

tomorrow is a run around the lake (3.2 miles) then another hour of touch rugby.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:54 am 
Stegosaurus

Great stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:15 am 
Gorilla

I feel like a trainwreck!! (Translation = awesome!!).

Touch rugby yesterday kicked my ass more than I knew. Today I did that above circuit.

All x 8. Barbell rows, upright rows, military presses, curls, good morning, side lunge squat(8 per side), squat/press, and I got the tri extensions on the first two sets.

Did one set to warm up with just the bar. More work than warm up, I'll tell you. Added 10lbs and did another 4 sets. 1-1.5 minutes between.

Brutalized my arms...good fun.

Then I did 3 sets of 10 calves and leg presses x 3 45 and 2 25 plates per side. (I'm bad at math...)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:43 am 
Elephant

Jason X wrote:
I feel like a trainwreck!! (Translation = awesome!!).
yeah buddy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 pm 
Gorilla

So, touch rugby round 2 is over. That's it. I'm tapped out until practice wednesday night. Wait. No I'm not. I'll lift again wednesday am. Anyhow, this game rules, and I feel like I was more aware (and better because of it) today. I have blisters on the balls of my feet from changing direction, and I lost a footrace to the fastest guy on the team*.

Anyhow, lots more running. It was awesome. Lots of passing. Brought a ball home to work with tomorrow. This sure rules. I think I picked right. (rugby>EVERYTHING ELSE for the next 3 months...)

*I smoked him around the lake (3.2 miles with sprints). He took me in a 30 or so meter. The difference? off the line speed. I think I have him in a burst of speed, but he's got me off the line all day.

How I do train to get faster at that!!?!??!?

Basically, What vivalasvegans said. "YEAH BUDDY!!!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next