coroho's strength training log

I don't do anything too intensive in itself. Foam roll my legs, few minutes on a stationary bike on days I don't walk to the gym, couple bw squats, leg swings(2x10), side-to-side leg swings(2x10), shoulder dislocations(2x10). Then I do 2 sets with the empty bar and 3-4 warm up sets. Next time I'm just going to do everything back to back and see how long it takes without any breaks. Squats are looking good tho, got 200 lbs next time then I've got my sights set on 100kg

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't do anything too intensive in itself. Foam roll my legs, few minutes on a stationary bike on days I don't walk to the gym, couple bw squats, leg swings(2x10), side-to-side leg swings(2x10), shoulder dislocations(2x10). Then I do 2 sets with the empty bar and 3-4 warm up sets. Next time I'm just going to do everything back to back and see how long it takes without any breaks. Squats are looking good tho, got 200 lbs next time then I've got my sights set on 100kg

Holy crap, that's about as many exercises as you actually do in your workout haha. Maybe if I actually warmed up I wouldn't get injured so often!

2/05/10

Squats: 90.5kg 5x5 PR

Press: 43kg 4,4,4,3,3

Deadlift: 118kg 1x5 PR

Pullups: 3,2,2

Squats: Really hard today, may repeat the weight due to questionable form.

Press: Just lacked energy on these. First set I actually tried 44kg but I knew beforehand I probably wouldn't get it.

Deadlift: Really glad I got this. I was afraid I was gonna fail judging by the warmup sets.

Pullups: Terribad. Again, didn't have much energy left.

Glad I got two days break. Hopefully I'll have more energy on Monday. I did manage to get in and out in 90 minutes though.

2/08/10

BW: 159.2lbs

Squats: 90.5kg 5x5

Bench Press: 66kg 5x5 PR

Barbell Rows: 55kg 5x5

Dips: 12,9,8

Squats: Again these about wore me out, but I think I gotta just suck it up and move on. 100kg isn't gonna get any lighter :P

Bench Press: Didn't have much difficulty with this today.

BBRows: My camera died when I went to record, but I just kept strict form and think I'll give myself a pass.

Dips: I'm tempted to add weight to these even though my numbers aren't going up. I feel like I'd get more out of them.

I was feeling froggy enough for some chinups at the end, but my time had runneth over. Someone asked me for a spot for the first time today http://shup.com/Shup/279286/1265677813418-screenshot.png I don't think it was completely random either.

2/10/10

Squats: 93kg 4,2 / 84kg 3,3

Press: 43kg 5,5,4,3,4

Deadlift: 120kg 1x4

Chinups: 5,5,4

Squats: Ugh, don't know what I was doing today. Felt like I was doing more harm than good, even after I took some weight off.

Press: That's 3 failed attempts, might be time to deload.

Deadlift: Heavy shit, almost got it though.

Failed at everything, really bad day all around. Just gonna make sure I'm eating enough over the next couple days and get back to it on Friday.

2/12/10

Squats: 93kg 5,5,3,4,3

Bench Press: 68kg 4,4,4,3,2

Barbell Rows: 57.5kg 4,5,4

Dips: 11,8,10

Squats went better than Weds but took a while. Cause of that my workout ran long again. Seriously considering switching to 3x5. As the weights are getting higher, I'm finding I'm driven more by increasing weights than gaining mass (but of course I want both). The extra volume is just starting to seem unnecessary and perhaps counterproductive.

2/15/10

BW: 161.2lbs

Squats: 80kg 3x5

Overhead Press: 38kg 3x5

Deadlift: 120kg 1x5 PR

Pullups: 4,2,1

Squats: Deloaded on these cause the weight was getting ahead of my form, to where I kind of tweaked my back on Friday. Trying my best to emulate Boris's reps in

Press: Deloaded on this as well cause I failed at 43kg thrice. Considered trying it again cause I was only doing 3x5 but wasn't feeling it. This weight was easy though.

Deadlift: Got this, but I think I'm going to deload. Felt like I was using my back too much on the first half of the pull.

Pullups: An extra rep in the first set, but then went to shit. Gonna start implementing some tips I got from VE.

I like this 3x5. No trouble with time and 3 sets is not so daunting. Can't wait till I get back up to my working weights on stuff so I can hopefully break thru them.

2/17/10

Squats: 84kg 3x5

Bench Press: 68kg 3,3,4

Barbells Rows: 45kg 3x5

Chinups: 6,5,4

Squats: were excellent today. Form was nearly perfect and I'm sure I could've done more weight if I put it on.

Bench Press: The bench I've been using was taken today, tried using each of the other two and they were both inferior. Seriously, I don't know how I was using these before.

BBRows: Took some weight off, more than I intended to, but I was getting some weird (not good) soreness from them before. Wanna make sure I've got them right.

Chinups: Did these instead of dips today. Thinking of alternating chins/pullups every workout rather than every other one.

2/19/10

Squats: 88.5kg 3x5

Press: 41kg 3x5

Deadlift: 120kg 1x5

Pullups: 4,3,3

Prone Bridges: 3x40s

Squats: Squats were fairly easy again. May go for the 93 again next time depending on how I'm feeling.

Press: Last rep was pretty hard, other than that not bad.

Deadlift: Decided to repeat the weight instead of deloading. Recorded myself and my back is sort of rounded but rigid, so not quite sure how ok that is.

Pullups: Felt much better. All I did was stop wrapping my thumb around the bar (I used to do it this way but switched due to misreading something).

Prone Bridges: Included some of these again, that extra 10 seconds was hard! Felt good though.

I also practiced some hang cleans afterwards. I think I'm finally understanding how not to use my arms. Gonna try working them in my program again instead of rows (still got that pinch in my back even after that light set on Weds).

2/22/10

BW: 160.8lbs

Squats: 93kg 3x5 PR

Bench Press: 68kg 3x5 PR

Chinups: 6,6,3

Pretty happy with today considering I didn't have much energy at all. Was going slow and felt tired between the sets, but pretty good during them. Was going to do some dips and practice hang cleans too, but like I said was running low on energy so I just cut it short.

2/24/10

Squats: 95kg 3x5 PR

Press: 43kg 3x5 PR

Deadlift: 122.5kg 1x5 PR

Pullups: 4,3,3

Damn, today was hard as shit. I managed it all though. My form wasn't the best on my first set of squats, but I concentrated and corrected on the next couple sets. OHP was a bit of a struggle and deadlifts were heavy as. Kind of disappointed with the pullups but I wasn't expecting much after all that.

2/26/10

Squats: 97.5kg 3x5 PR

Bench Press: 70kg 3,4,3

Chinups: 8,1,4,4

Dips: 8,9

Squats: 3x5 is so much more intense than 5x5. Gonna eat big this wknd cause goin' for 100kg next week.

Bench Press: Kind of disappoint with this, so I made sure to do some dips today.

Chinups: Kicked ass the first set, then I tried supersetting with dips which didn't work out so well lol (hence the single rep in set 2).

Dips: Would've done a third set but had to run cause I'm playing on this kickball team and we've got our first game tonight

Gotta start making time for learning cleans. I tried literally a few today but I never seem to have enough time if I just say "Oh, I'll stick some in at the end."

PS. Lentils are my new best friend. 200g dry lentils = 50g protein, cook 'em up with like 100g of a grain and that's like 1/3 of my daily protein. Takes me two meals to eat right now but if I can get that down to one sitting I'll be stylin' on some omnis.

3/01/10

BW: 162.4lbs

Squats: 100kg 5,5,3

Overhead Press: 44kg 3x5 PR

Deadlift: 125kg 1x5 PR

Pullups: 4,2,2,2

Squats: Started doing good mornings towards the end so I didn't push it. Not that bad of a result though, I wasn't sure I'd even be able to get any when I went in. Was feeling off. Should get it Wednesday.

Press: First set was strangely easy, next two were challenging.

Deadlift: Damn heavy. I'm almost getting past my grip, I can barely hold it in the last couple reps and I can't hold it for extra time anymore.

3/01/10

BW: 162.4lbs

Squats: 100kg 5,5,3

Overhead Press: 44kg 3x5 PR

Deadlift: 125kg 1x5 PR

Pullups: 4,2,2,2

Squats: Started doing good mornings towards the end so I didn't push it. Not that bad of a result though, I wasn't sure I'd even be able to get any when I went in. Was feeling off. Should get it Wednesday.

Press: First set was strangely easy, next two were challenging.

Deadlift: Damn heavy. I'm almost getting past my grip, I can barely hold it in the last couple reps and I can't hold it for extra time anymore.

Congrats on the 100kg squat! Well....the 13 100kg squat's

Great work on press PR. And that is one MEAN deadlift PR. Keep this up man, you're kicking ass!!

3/03/10

Squats: 100kg 4,4,3

Bench Press: 70kg 4,2,3

Chinups: 6,5,5

Dips: 10,7,8

Practiced Hang Cleans

Squats: Disappointing. I was hoping to attempt 225 this week (= 2 plates). I actually failed reps in the 1st & 3rd sets.

Bench Press: Still pretty far from getting this. My grip was too narrow on the 2nd set.

Chinups/Dips: Pretty satisfied with these.

I had as much energy as I ever have today, but still didn't do too well. I almost threw up taking my BCAAs beforehand and so didn't get them down (I've taken to shooting them like a shot and they got stuck at the back of my throat), so that could've been it. I was beginning to wonder about their effectiveness since I don't physically feel them anymore. See what happens on Friday..

3/05/10

Squats: 100kg 4,3,1

Press: 45kg 3,3,3

Deadlift: 100kgx3, 111kgx2

Squats: Failed last rep in first set and was all downhill from there. Man, it sucks failing a weight 3 times in the same week. Definitely not as good as setting 3 consecutive PRs (like last week).

Press: First set felt reallly heavy, but I think I had my grip wrong. Next couple didn't feel as heavy, I just couldn't do 'em.

Deadlift: Tried 125kg again and couldn't budge it. Took off some weight and that still really hard too.

What a shitty day. I didn't eat that good yesterday and that could have something to do with it, but I don't know. I felt more weak than lacking energy. Just gonna have to get back to it next week.

3/08/10

BW: 163lbs*

Squats: 90kg 3x5

Bench Press: 70kg 4,3,2

Chinups: 6,5,4

Dips: 9

Squats: So I think what went wrong last week was my form gradually deteriorated. The video I took on Friday seems to confirm this, so I deloaded (was going to anyway) and I'm working back up concentrating on keeping form when it gets heavy. I thought my form was really good all thru 97.5kg but once I got to 100kg I no longer felt as stable.

Bench Press: Got really close to getting the 5th rep on the first set. My last rep in the second took about as long as that recent one of yours, chewy Also time to deload. I had a couple people spot me today and they not only didn't help me before I really needed it but only took a tiny bit of weight off when they did intervene. A+

Dips: My upper left arm kind of hurt when doing these so I quit after one set.

*After going home this weekend and weighing myself with my dad's more accurate seeming scale, I'm suspecting mine might be low by a couple pounds. I was 165 when I woke up on Sunday so that might be my actual weight. I forgot to weigh myself at the gym to get another scale's input though.

3/10/10

Squats: 93kg 3x5

(OH)Press: 45kg 5,4,4

Deadlift: 125kg 1x5

Squats: Recorded myself again and my form is MUCH better than last week. Just a momentary lapse in movement I guess.

Press: Good, 4 more reps this time. Hopefully I can get it my next attempt.

Deadlift: Got this weight again and my grip was a little better, but my left shoulder started hurting after it. Thought it more important to come home and ice it than go for pullups, and it feels much better now, but I think I'm doing something wrong in regards to gripping it with that arm. It's the arm I use underhand grip on. I think I might switch hands and concentrate on flexing my triceps next time. I want to move the weight up but it feels like my body is at its limit between this and my grip almost giving out.

2/12/10

Squats: 95kg 3x5

Bench Press: 63.5kg 3x5

Hang Cleans: 30kg 4x3

Squats: I was trying hard to talk myself into going home and coming back tomorrow, but I said fuck it and attempted a work set and it wasn't that bad. Took a while all told so I ended up not getting as much work in today, but it was a success imo.

Bench Press: This older guy next to me was giving me some pointers, including suggesting I put something under my feet so my legs were higher. Turned out to help a lot and this weight was much easier than last time I tried it. Might even find that elusive leg drive this way.

Hang Cleans: Decided I should prioritize these more and I think I had a bit of an epiphany today, form-wise. Still have a lot of work to do but hopefully I'm on the right track.

Also, I weighed myself at 168.5 before I left home and came in at 170.75 at the gym (midday clothed weight), so I think my scale really is 2 lbs low (that son of a bitch).

3/15/10

BW: 166.6lbs*

Squats: 97.5kg 3x5

(OH)Press: 45kg 5,4,4

Deadlift: 116kg 1x5

Pullups: 4,3,3,2

Squats: I was sooo tired coming in today, but somehow I didn't feel any weaker for it. I think these were easier than last time I did 97.5kg (here's to getting 100k next time).

Press: Damn, same as last time. The final rep I tried so hard I failed with it above my head, which is unusual. Not sure I'm ready to deload, will see how I feel Friday.

Deadlift: Went lighter and had a buddy at the gym watch me. I think I've got some things to work on now form-wise before I start getting crazy with the weight again. That's good though, next time I hit 125, I should be able to handle it. Also glad to say a rounded back isn't one of them.

Pullups: Just couldn't lock out that 5th rep in the first set. Did the second as a set of singles but that actually seemed harder.

*I'm going to use the +2lb adjusted weight from here, unless I find out my scale actually isn't retarded (I think the proper definition works here so I'm not making a slur :P).

3/17/10

Squats: 100kg 3x5 PR

Bench: 66kg 5,4,4

Hang Cleans: 30kg 5x3

Squats: First set was pretty easy, next two were hard I think cause I was having trouble with my grip/bar placement. But I still got it.

Bench Press: Tried using that box under my feet again today but it was giving me a tendency to lift my ass. Took it out for the last set and it felt better.

Hang Cleans: I think I'm getting the jump and I'm getting the shrug, I just need to learn to put them together.

Had to go to the gym early (like right after waking and eating early) cause SXSW starts today, but I felt pretty good in spite of it. Now I'm just going to have to manage to eat enough while I'm out.

3/22/10

BW: 165.4lbs

Squats: 100kg 1x4 / 95kg 1x3,1x5

OHPress: 40kg 3,5,5

Deadlift: 84kg 1x5

SXSW starts today, but I felt pretty good in spite of it. Now I'm just going to have to manage to eat enough while I'm out.

Failed miserably. Drank a lot of free beer and went for long periods without eating much. I lost 2 lbs after 4 days of doing this but gained one back yesterday, which I'm ok with. I'm glad I don't just wither away if I don't get 4k calories. And I got to see these bands for free, hang out with friends from out of town, and just have a lot of fun. This behavior hopefully explains why today at the gym was so shitty. Deadlift was especially weak and my shoulder started hurting again out of nowhere :(

3/24/10

Squats: 100kg 3x5

Bench Press: 66kg 4,4,3

Hang Cleans: 30kg 5x3

Squats: I was having trouble getting centered under the bar again, but I got it right on my third set and kicked its ass. Two plates next time.

Bench Press: Even worse than last time, don't know what's up. Need to get back on eating and sleeping enough regularly.

Hang Cleans: Had someone check out my form, wasn't sure what I was doing wrong before but I think I'm getting close now.

Got kickball after work on Friday so I probably won't be back in till Saturday. Think I'll switch to Sa M W.